Using wall-mount surrounds as FR and FL in a 4.1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Squirrel!
  • 1 Post By Squirrel!

post #1 of 7 Old 03-23-2020, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Using wall-mount surrounds as FR and FL in a 4.1

Howdy - we recently moved into a home that has a non ideal setup with regard to optimal viewing and sound. Luckily, I have learned to appreciate "good enough". I have attached a sketch of my room layout to this post. The previous owner has speaker wire to the locations shown (aff = above finished floor). The sketch is not to scale, but it is good enough; sorry I don't know how to rotate the image. The room is med-large due to the vaulted ceiling up to the loft.

My initial hunch is to do a 4.1 system using (4) of the Emotiva surround wall-mount speakers: monopole up front, bipole in the rear. Rear ported speakers are not an option since I intend to mount these flush with the walls. I will more than likely be driving whatever I install with a Denon AVR-591 (entry level 10 year old tech). In my previous setups, I have enjoyed HSU, Boston Acoustics, KEF, and Emotiva for speakers. I will mostly be using this for movie night and music when we entertain. It does not have to be audiophile grade but I do like good sound (the reason I am here).

Should I / Can I consider different speakers or configuration (5.1)?

Right now I have my Dayton B652's in a 2.0 config. for temporary sound and it can get pretty loud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200323_184021.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	606.1 KB
ID:	2701096  

Last edited by J Real; 03-23-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-23-2020, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Move the surrounds closer to the couch if possible, for a better experience.

You want speakers on either side of TV, not both to one side. Make it work somehow.
Put the sub behind the entertainment center.

That's how I would do it (and I did).
Zorba922 likes this.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #3 of 7 Old 03-23-2020, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 547
PS...And loud is one thing, sounding good is another.
Zorba922 likes this.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-23-2020, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9039 Post(s)
Liked: 6957
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Real View Post
The previous owner has speaker wire to the locations shown (aff = above finished floor).
that's no reason to have your FL/FR *not* flank your TV...classic case of putting the cart before the horse, imo.

If I understand your sketch correctly, you have two viable options:

1. Forget about using the previous owner's speaker wire for your FL/FR and just put a pair of decent speakers on either side of your TV --- whether it be bookshelf speakers on stands, or towers (the $400/pr Emotiva T Zeros cost about the same as a pair of good bookshelves plus stands). And move your couch into a diagonal position so that it faces the TV in the corner. This actually has the considerable acoustic benefit of sharply reducing reflections, though it will make placement of the rear speakers much trickier...but I'd skip the rear speakers if you have to since they do such a trivial/tiny % of the HT output anyhow.

or

2. Forget about using the built-in entertainment center for your TV, and move the TV to the wall, between the existing speaker wire. You would have to buy a TV stand of course, unless you can wall mount the TV. You'd want to use sealed cabinet or front ported speakers if wall mounting.

#1 would allow you to get much better-sounding FL/FR speakers than #2 , and probably cost less than buying a new TV stand.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 7 Old 03-24-2020, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 369
congrats on the new house. You don't list budget, but there are many solutions at whatever budget.

as previously mentioned, you want to have your speakers flank the TV. for a very clean look, check out the artison( pic attached) (artisonusa.com)

there are tons of "thin" LCR speakers available at all price ranges. low end are the dayton mk442 series(parts express) higher up are the goldenear supersat, or ascend acoustic luna duo.

with the right mounts, you might even be able to go a little wider along the walls and angle the speakers (L,R) towards the existing couch.

as for the receiver, get a recent model - Denon s7x0 - its worth it for the streaming support, 4k support, app control, and HEOS. find a refurb unit at accessories4less.com. another denon unit you may consider is the HEOS receiver. It will allow you to run wireless (via HEOS) surrounds (its the only denon unit that supports this) I hear the Yamaha receivers can support wireless surrounds via musicast( Yamaha's proprietary whole house audio system)

as for the under the loft area, run those via a separate zone on the receiver or second zone amp

another option would be a soundbar - a Sonos playbar or beam might do you well. you could also run the under the loft area on a separate connect amp...

good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCRDM-Explanation-Page_Sketch.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	2701242  

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-06-2020, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
congrats on the new house. You don't list budget, but there are many solutions at whatever budget.

as previously mentioned, you want to have your speakers flank the TV. for a very clean look, check out the artison( pic attached) (artisonusa.com)

there are tons of "thin" LCR speakers available at all price ranges. low end are the dayton mk442 series(parts express) higher up are the goldenear supersat, or ascend acoustic luna duo.

with the right mounts, you might even be able to go a little wider along the walls and angle the speakers (L,R) towards the existing couch.

as for the receiver, get a recent model - Denon s7x0 - its worth it for the streaming support, 4k support, app control, and HEOS. find a refurb unit at accessories4less.com. another denon unit you may consider is the HEOS receiver. It will allow you to run wireless (via HEOS) surrounds (its the only denon unit that supports this) I hear the Yamaha receivers can support wireless surrounds via musicast( Yamaha's proprietary whole house audio system)

as for the under the loft area, run those via a separate zone on the receiver or second zone amp

another option would be a soundbar - a Sonos playbar or beam might do you well. you could also run the under the loft area on a separate connect amp...

good luck
Thank you. I am having trouble discerning the difference between the HEOS receiver and a S750H with HEOS? Or for that matter, the Marantz SR5013? Also, if I know I am never going to a 7.2 setupd, would it be prudent to go with the s650h and use the savings on speakers?

Last edited by J Real; 04-06-2020 at 07:19 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-09-2020, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Real View Post
Thank you. I am having trouble discerning the difference between the HEOS receiver and a S750H with HEOS? Or for that matter, the Marantz SR5013? Also, if I know I am never going to a 7.2 setupd, would it be prudent to go with the s650h and use the savings on speakers?
the HEOS receiver is small form factor unit that relies on the app and/or ARC for control. - it has no front display. and as previously mentioned, it is the only Denon unit at present that utilizes the HEOS speakers for surround duty.

the 750H is a regular receiver. and if you aren't going to go 7.2, then yes, you could save a a few bucks and go with the 650H.

as for the Marantz its part of the sound united family, a sister to a Denon unit (x3500 I believe). more capable than the 650/750 - more inputs/ pre-outs. some will recommend a Marantz unit for better audio quality for 2 channel ( YMMV)

hope it helps,

Good luck

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page