Budget in-ceiling Atmos speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-25-2020, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Budget in-ceiling Atmos speakers

Hi all,
I'm looking to make the Atmos jump and am able to install in-ceiling speakers. From what I've read, timbre matching isn't essential. Are there any recommended that have the enclosure included? My room is 12x16x7. I rather not lose SPL by installing the speaker alone straight into the ceiling but if an enclosure isn't needed, that's fine too. I'm still new to Atmos and trying to learn. Any other install tips or recommendations would be appreciated! Thank you!

Video: JVC RS35 on 110". - 60" Panasonic plasma. - Darby Darblet/eeColor video processor. - Panasonic BD85 Blu-ray playback.
Audio: Denon X4500H. - Speakers: Philharmonic AA+ LRC, Mirage Omnipolar Spherex surrounds. Subwoofers: - Seaton F18+
Misc: Sennheiser HD558 powered by Recon3d USB. HCFR with i1 Pro. PSVR for 3D Blu-ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-25-2020, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2005 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Price would be very useful.

Having an enclosure reduces SPL.

Angled ceiling speakers are better for a theater scenario. Flat ceiling speakers are better for distributed audio.

I’m a fan of Revel in ceilings, but whatever speaker you end up with, make sure you get them discounted by a dealer.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 8 Old 03-25-2020, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked: 3273
For budget Atmos look at DCM -- on closeout pricing

DCM TFE630 ... price by the pair
https://pricedrightsales.com/product...e630lcr-2-pack

Also sold as a pack of 4
https://pricedrightsales.com/product...e630lcr-4-pack

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Have a look at RSL c34e

Or run some small bookshelfs on ceiling

Or angled wall mount speakers up next to the ceiling - SVS Prime Elevations come to mind.

If you are planning on x.x.4 setup, then with 7' ceilings I think the last 2 options are better as you have more chance to point them at MLP.
With in-ceilings you will need to get ones with at least 90deg dispersion or mount them closer than the recommended 45deg from MLP.

If you are only planning .2 then in-ceilings will be fine as they will be almost directly above you
post #5 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3226 Post(s)
Liked: 4836
Maybe look at KEF in wall/ceiling. Their coax gives the most uniform 360 degree off axis dispersion of any speaker design i.e there is no difference between horizontal and vertical dispersion as with non coax designs. They are inexpensive and should work awesome for Atmos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3310 Post(s)
Liked: 3111
A 7 foot ceiling height is a major problem with most in-ceiling speakers. You will have to install the front and rear Atmos very near your seating to have success. If you have very wide or deep seating in the room, you may not be able to get good coverage due to the narrow sound dispersion of a speaker so low. If you go with a slightly-angled speaker, like the RSL mentioned above, the maximum distance you would be able to place the speaker, would be the same as the distance from your seated ear to the ceiling. If you are just catering to one or two seats that are centered and close together, you might have some success with that scenario.

However, if you have a wide couch, or disparate seating in the room, then your odds of success are very small with any in-ceiling design. In that case, you would be better off with a small on-ceiling speaker, such as the Cambridge Audio Minx Min 12. Given that you could position that speaker horizontally, you would gain a lot more coverage area, that coverage only being improved with additional distance. Plus, the Minx are known to have good horizontal dispersion characteristics.

Lastly, consider on-wall speakers, front and back, mounted at the ceiling juncture. This would allow you to use a bit larger form factor and eliminate the risk of hitting one's head on ceiling mounted speakers, if you have any very tall friends/relatives. Maybe a speaker like the Polk OWM3 would be appropriate for this sort of approach, or any smaller bookshelf-sized speaker.

This has recently been discussed here, if you want further development of in-ceiling issues:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post59406968

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 03-26-2020 at 12:20 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
A 7 foot ceiling height is a major problem with most in-ceiling speakers. You will have to install the front and rear Atmos very near your seating to have success. If you have very wide or deep seating in the room, you may not be able to get good coverage due to the narrow sound dispersion of a speaker so low. If you go with a slightly-angled speaker, like the RSL mentioned above, the maximum distance you would be able to place the speaker, would be the same as the distance from your seated ear to the ceiling. If you are just catering to one or two seats that are centered and close together, you might have some success with that scenario.

However, if you have a wide couch, or disparate seating in the room, then your odds of success are very small with any in-ceiling design. In that case, you would be better off with a small on-ceiling speaker, such as the Cambridge Audio Minx Min 12. Given that you could position that speaker horizontally, you would gain a lot more coverage area, that coverage only being improved with additional distance. Plus, the Minx are known to have good horizontal dispersion characteristics.

Lastly, consider on-wall speakers, front and back, mounted at the ceiling juncture. This would allow you to use a bit larger form factor and eliminate the risk of hitting one's head on ceiling mounted speakers, if you have any very tall friends/relatives. Maybe a speaker like the Polk OWM3 would be appropriate for this sort of approach, or any smaller bookshelf-sized speaker.

This has recently been discussed here, if you want further development of in-ceiling issues:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post59406968
I have a similar situation. I use PSB Alpha-series bookshelves mounted at the wall/ceiling junction, and aimed down-and-in to the MLP since I have a 7' ceiling in my basement.
It works perfectly. Other speakers that would work:
NHT SuperZero 2.1
Ascend HTM-200SE
Kef Q100
etc...
post #8 of 8 Old 03-26-2020, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
+1 for the RSL C34e's if you go with in-ceiling speakers. I am fortunate to have high ceilings, so I was able to install 4 of them. And they sound great with no enclosures.
If you go with on-wall speakers, another to look at is the Ascend Acoustics Luna's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page