Tweeter height - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-25-2020, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Tweeter height

Im getting ready to perform a bookshelf shootout among 4 speakers that will serve as surrounds for the base layer. I'd like some help determining tweeter height so I can order strands that will at least approximate getting the tweeters at my sitting ear height. Any measurements you can offer would be appreciated! Contenders in no particular order:

Chane A1.5
PSB Imagine XB
Ascend Sierra 1
Aperion Verus III

I'd like to add the Emotiva B1+ but they are out of stock presently. Hopefully they will get back in stock soon as if like to be able to consider them as well.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-25-2020, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mertz View Post
Im getting ready to perform a bookshelf shootout among 4 speakers that will serve as surrounds for the base layer. I'd like some help determining tweeter height so I can order strands that will at least approximate getting the tweeters at my sitting ear height. Any measurements you can offer would be appreciated! Contenders in no particular order:

Chane A1.5
PSB Imagine XB
Ascend Sierra 1
Aperion Verus III

I'd like to add the Emotiva B1+ but they are out of stock presently. Hopefully they will get back in stock soon as if like to be able to consider them as well.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Tweeters should be at ear-level. Sit in a chair how you would listen and measure floor to ear height. Since you're demoing several speakers with varying sizes, consider an adjustable height speaker stand.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Schiit SYS | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #3 of 8 Old 03-25-2020, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I understand the tweeter height, hence the question. I haven't however come across any adjustable stands that are as substantial as what I would prefer such as offerings from Monoprice and Sanus. I prefer mass loaded stands. Maybe there are good sturdy stands that are adjustable? Does anyone have a link to such a stand?

Also, anyone with the speakers I listed, I'd like to know what your measurement is from bottom of speaker to tweeter center if you could please share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-25-2020, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 1659
Quote:
Yes I understand the tweeter height, hence the question. I haven't however come across any adjustable stands that are as substantial as what I would prefer such as offerings from Monoprice and Sanus. I prefer mass loaded stands. Maybe there are good sturdy stands that are adjustable? Does anyone have a link to such a stand?

Also, anyone with the speakers I listed, I'd like to know what your measurement is from bottom of speaker to tweeter center if you could please share?
You probably won't find such a stand as there needs to be room for the adjustable mechanism. I would probably just get some small end tables from your house and use them during demos, and then buy a nice fixed height stand once you know which speaker you will be keeping. You can use some books to provide decoupling for the speakers.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Schiit SYS | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #5 of 8 Old 03-25-2020, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8260 Post(s)
Liked: 6301
Quote:
These are not mass loaded but are adjustable and can handle up to 80lbs:
https://www.amazon.com/Hola-Music-Pr...dp/B07F3XLPNL/

Have never seen any mass-loaded stands that ARE adjustable, come to think of it.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 8 Old 03-25-2020, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Google "images of speaker stands". You will see several sort options such as "bookshelf", "adjustable", etc. If you see something you are interested in click it to go to product website.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-25-2020, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 1897
These aren't as elegant as Zorba922's suggestion (post 5), but I have a pair, and they're serviceable, if unlovely. https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Monitor-...ruments&sr=1-1

They're of generic Chinese origin, so you may be able to find identical ones for less.

They have pins that lock the height, so you wouldn't have to worry about the clamp slipping with heavy speakers.

For extra weight and ugliness, set bags of steel shot on the base. (Sand isn't dense enough. Lead shot isn't environmentally friendly.)
post #8 of 8 Old 03-25-2020, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

All great suggestions and I thank you for the input. I think I'll maybe cobble something together or use some old end tables for now. I like the idea of settling on the speaker before buying the stands.

Thanks, guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page