thoughts on proficient ceiling speakers c675s - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2020, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
thoughts on proficient ceiling speakers c675s

looking for 6.5 inch ceiling speakers to mount in living room ceiling as LCR. Audio install recommended c675s by proficient. I have tried to research proficient speakers in general and have found nothing. I know the proficient and speakercraft are similar just wondering if anyone on this forum had any insight on these speakers.

https://proficientaudio.com/product/...-tweeter-C675s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-25-2020, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8260 Post(s)
Liked: 6301
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkjjjmccann View Post
Audio install recommended c675s by proficient. I have tried to research proficient speakers in general and have found nothing.
THAT should tell you everything already.

Buy NOTHING from an installer.

Pay them for LABOR and nothing else. Buy your own cables and all other accessories.

Their bread and butter is selling dealer-only products whose only reason for existing = prevent consumers from price shopping + maximize profit for the seller/dealer.

If you are dead set on doing in-ceilings even for the super-critical LCR (which does 80-90% of the HT output compared to the rear surrounds) then you're screwed to begin with. The best you can hope for is something like this:
https://rslspeakers.com/products/c34...iling-speaker/

Even in-walls are preferable to in-ceilings for the LCR.

PS. If your installer is also trying to sell you snake oil like power conditioners and Monster cables, run like hell and don't look back.
sigpig likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 7 Old 03-25-2020, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
THAT should tell you everything already.

Buy NOTHING from an installer.

Pay them for LABOR and nothing else. Buy your own cables and all other accessories.

Their bread and butter is selling dealer-only products whose only reason for existing = prevent consumers from price shopping + maximize profit for the seller/dealer.

If you are dead set on doing in-ceilings even for the super-critical LCR (which does 80-90% of the HT output compared to the rear surrounds) then you're screwed to begin with. The best you can hope for is something like this:
https://rslspeakers.com/products/c34...iling-speaker/

Even in-walls are preferable to in-ceilings for the LCR.

PS. If your installer is also trying to sell you snake oil like power conditioners and Monster cables, run like hell and don't look back.

unfortunately I can only use ceiling speakers for my living room for multiple reasons.
As a newbie who knows absolutely nothing about building a HT with ceiling speakers i steered clear of the RSL ceiling speakers because they have 2 4.5" speakers and a 7/8 tweeter. I assumed that a 6.5" speaker would provide a better sound quality and maybe not be as noticeable. I was probably incorrect in my assumption.
There was really only 2 things important to me in building a new house:
1. a large garage,
2. a really nice HT.--i have already purchased a SVS 2000 Ported subwoofer to fill in the lows and now I need 5 ceiling speakers, I know towers and inwalls are preferred but will not work for us. So it is important to me that i get the 5 ceiling speakers right. I do understand the center does the most work and a ceiling speaker is not ideal but its all I got.

I don't mind spending $1000-$1,200.00 for 5 ceiling speakers, if the RSL will fit the bill its a win/win for me as they are less expensive and great quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-25-2020, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
unfortunately I can only use ceiling speakers for my living room for multiple reasons.

As a newbie who knows absolutely nothing about building a HT with ceiling speakers i steered clear of the RSL ceiling speakers because they have 2 4.5" speakers and a 7/8 tweeter. I assumed that a 6.5" speaker would provide a better sound quality and maybe not be as noticeable. I was probably incorrect in my assumption.

There was really only 2 things important to me in building a new house:

1. a large garage,

2. a really nice HT.--i have already purchased a SVS 2000 Ported subwoofer to fill in the lows and now I need 5 ceiling speakers, I know towers and inwalls are preferred but will not work for us. So it is important to me that i get the 5 ceiling speakers right. I do understand the center does the most work and a ceiling speaker is not ideal but its all I got.

I don't mind spending $1000-$1,200.00 for 5 ceiling speakers, if the RSL will fit the bill its a win/win for me as they are less expensive and great quality.
Before I go any further, using all in ceiling is not ideal, but you know that already. I personally think the RSL C34E is a great choice for atmos. I am running 4 of them for front and read heights. Many on the forums like them as well. Not sure how they would work as LCR but I would think they would be ok.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Onkyo TX RZ830, Chane 3600, AudioSource AMP100VS, XBox One X, Panasonic DMP-UB900, NVIDIA Shield, D-Link 16-Port Gigabit Switch, Caavo, Control Center, 2 x JBL Studio 590 Mains, 1 x JBL Studio 520C Center, 4 x KEF Q100's Surrounds, 4 x RSL C34E's ATMOS, 4 x Chane SBE-118's
post #5 of 7 Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Well, that's the thing---with the inherent limitations of using in-ceilings for your front 3, I honestly doubt spending 3x more money would make much difference.

The only other option I can think of would be to do ceiling-mounted mini-bookshelves, as in the photo below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling mounted bookshelf speaker 01.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	2701822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling mounted bookshelf speaker 02.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	2701824  

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Well, that's the thing---with the inherent limitations of using in-ceilings for your front 3, I honestly doubt spending 3x more money would make much difference.

The only other option I can think of would be to do ceiling-mounted mini-bookshelves, as in the photo below.
any suggestions for ceiling mounted mini bookshelves?
post #7 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
any suggestions for ceiling mounted mini bookshelves?
For the front 3, I'd do 3 x Ascend 200SE. These have DUAL 4" woofers so they really play much bigger than their size.

You can do another 2 of them for the surrounds, or if you want to save some money, a pair of single-woofer NHT SuperZeros from Amazon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page