Desktop Speakers & Sub for Office Built ins - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By doctors11
  • 1 Post By Triumph65
  • 1 Post By Triumph65
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By Elihawk
  • 1 Post By sigpig
  • 1 Post By Triumph65
  • 1 Post By stereojunkie

post #1 of 20 Old 03-25-2020, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Desktop Speakers & Sub for Office Built ins

Looking at speaker choices for a 12’x12’ office to sit on a large 12’ long built in desk (see pic). I’ll put the speakers on the ends of the desk. I’ve got 16” clearance for the overhung bookshelves but would like to keep the speakers around 10-12” H x 8-10” W.

First impressions are something like NHT Superzeros, Polk S10 or Q Acoustics 3010i but open to suggestions. Out of those the Q Acoustics are probably the best looking to me for my desktop.

Not sure about the Bluetooth receiver/amp yet. Just needs to have enough power for the speakers, a sub output and an input for my Mac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9A281695-A096-416A-B336-EA042CFDA39F_1585188352034.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	2701798  

Last edited by Triumph65; 03-25-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-25-2020, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 2220
I bought a bluetooth 2 channel Yamaha amp for less than 100 bills a couple years ago (RS202)...plenty of power, but it doesn't have a subwoofer output.
Something like this maybe, but you would have to add a bluetooth device to it.
https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-168ha-21-2x40w-mini-amplifier-1x68w-sub-output--310-308?utm_group={group}&msclkid=b387754fc5ed19513cd2 2b33df0a7f6e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_ca mpaign=_Shopping(BSC)&utm_term=1100401914018&utm_c ontent=All%20Products

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
post #3 of 20 Old 03-25-2020, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8289 Post(s)
Liked: 6321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph65 View Post
Looking at speaker choices for a 12’x12’ office to sit on a large 12’ long built in desk (see pic). I’ll put the speakers on the ends of the desk. I’ve got 16” clearance for the overhung bookshelves but would like to keep the speakers around 10-12” H x 8-10” W.

First impressions are something like NHT Superzeros, Polk S10 or Q Acoustics 3010i but open to suggestions. Out of those the Q Acoustics are probably the best looking to me for my desktop.

Not sure about the Bluetooth receiver/amp yet. Just needs to have enough power for the speakers, a sub output and an input for my Mac.
If you go with NHT, I'd look at the SuperOne off Amazon.

Another great sealed speaker option is the Ascend 200SE.

If you like a "warm" sound, I'd add the Wharfedale Diamond 220 to your list. $200/pr with $10 flat rate return shipping from Crutchfield.
Or, it's bigger brother the 225 which would probably not even require a subwoofer for music.

The amp, with BT, USB input, and subwoofer output:
https://www.amazon.com/S-M-S-L-Infin...dp/B081DJHSG4/

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I'd add the PSB Alpha P5 to your list. Great reviews.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_760ALP...P5-Walnut.html
Transmaniacon and Pete7874 like this.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:
Looking at speaker choices for a 12’️x12’&#xfe0f ; office to sit on a large 12’️ long built in desk (see pic). I’️ll put the speakers on the ends of the desk. I’️ve got 16” clearance for the overhung bookshelves but would like to keep the speakers around 10-12” H x 8-10” W.

If you go with NHT, I'd look at the SuperOne off Amazon.

Another great sealed speaker option is the Ascend 200SE.

If you like a "warm" sound, I'd add the Wharfedale Diamond 220 to your list. $200/pr with $10 flat rate return shipping from Crutchfield.
Or, it's bigger brother the 225 which would probably not even require a subwoofer for music.

The amp, with BT, USB input, and subwoofer output:
https://www.amazon.com/S-M-S-L-Infin...dp/B081DJHSG4/
@Zorba922 - I love that amp! Looks like it has an active sub out for a powered sub. So I could just adjust sub volume on the sub itself. I had read that none of these small Bluetooth amps have crossovers, only recently learned what that means and not sure if it matters. I’m also not sure if it’s better to have passive sub out or active with a powered sub.

Per the speakers, do you prefer sealed speakers? Unlike my humid garage these will be inside my house in the office.
Thanks for the recommendations. I added the speakers you mentioned to my search for used equipment online.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
I'd add the PSB Alpha P5 to your list. Great reviews.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_760ALP...P5-Walnut.html
@doctors11 - Thanks! I added those to my search.
doctors11 likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
@Zorba922 - I love that amp! Looks like it has an active sub out for a powered sub. So I could just adjust sub volume on the sub itself. I had read that none of these small Bluetooth amps have crossovers, only recently learned what that means and not sure if it matters. I’m also not sure if it’s better to have passive sub out or active with a powered sub.

Per the speakers, do you prefer sealed speakers? Unlike my humid garage these will be inside my house in the office.
Thanks for the recommendations. I added the speakers you mentioned to my search for used equipment online.
Well, I thought a sealed speaker would be advantageous if you're going to put it close up against a wall.

A ported speaker will usually give you more mid-bass output. The Wharfedales are down-ported, so they are supposedly less affected by being up close to a rear wall than a normal rear-ported speaker.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #8 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
@Zorba922 - I love that amp! Looks like it has an active sub out for a powered sub. So I could just adjust sub volume on the sub itself. I had read that none of these small Bluetooth amps have crossovers, only recently learned what that means and not sure if it matters. I’️m also not sure if it’️s better to have passive sub out or active with a powered sub.

Well, I thought a sealed speaker would be advantageous if you're going to put it close up against a wall.

A ported speaker will usually give you more mid-bass output. The Wharfedales are down-ported, so they are supposedly less affected by being up close to a rear wall than a normal rear-ported speaker.
@ Zorba922 - Thank you! That makes sense. I’ll focus on the non ported and the Wharfedales.
As always appreciate the education and help.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
@ Zorba922 - Thank you! That makes sense. I’ll focus on the non ported and the Wharfedales.
A pro review of the 225: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...25-loudspeaker

And of the 220: https://www.whathifi.com/us/wharfeda...ond-220/review
Triumph65 likes this.

post #10 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 2220
Wharfdale makes great speakers! However, they tend to be just a tad warm...so if you prefer a more bright, dynamic speaker, they may not be the best speaker for you. For instances, if you heard and like Klipsch speakers, then Wharfdales may not be the best choice. Polk, Goldenear and many other speakers lean bright. Wharfdale, Def Tech and many other speakers will be abit warm...speakers like Ascend Acoustic and Chane will tend to be more neutral and less colored.
Since sounds like this is mostly for music, a speaker like the wharfdale might be perfect! Disclaimer, I have never heard the Wharfdale speakers that Zorba is recommending.
Triumph65 likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
post #11 of 20 Old 03-28-2020, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
@ Zorba922 - Thank you! That makes sense. I’️ll focus on the non ported and the Wharfedales.
A pro review of the 225: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...25-loudspeaker

And of the 220: https://www.whathifi.com/us/wharfeda...ond-220/review
@Zorba922

Thanks for the review links.

I ordered the SMSL SA300 you suggested.

I have a recently liberated Klipsch RPW-10 powered sub that’s in perfect condition, if that’s not overkill. I could place it in the leg cutout of the built in cabinets. The cutout is 32”x 32” x 32” and has power outlet. It’s a big sub but there is plenty of room in there.

One consideration on the desktop speakers is size. I’d rather not have huge boxes sitting at either end of the built in desk. Even though the surface is 12 feet x 32” deep. I think the Wharfedale Diamond 220 would be the upper limit on the size I’d like to have at each end.

If that sub isn’t overkill does that change the suggestions for the desktop bookshelf speakers?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	092767AF-E827-42BD-810B-C65A9CAC3BA8_1585414482408.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	2702752  

Last edited by Triumph65; 03-28-2020 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Typo
post #12 of 20 Old 03-28-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I have a recently liberated Klipsch RPW-10 powered sub that’s in perfect condition, if that’s not overkill. I could place it in the leg cutout of the built in cabinets. The cutout is 32”x 32” x 32” and has power outlet. It’s a big sub but there is plenty of room in there.

One consideration on the desktop speakers is size. I’d rather not have huge boxes sitting at either end of the built in desk. Even though the surface is 12 feet x 32” deep. I think the Wharfedale Diamond 220 would be the upper limit on the size I’d like to have at each end.

If that sub isn’t overkill does that change the suggestions for the desktop bookshelf speakers?
The Klipsch sub is a good addition, what I'm not sure about is how much mid-bass output it provides between 100-200Hz...some subs like the Hsu are known for providing lots, while others like SVS are reportedly more focused on the lower frequencies, 15-80Hz...no idea where the Klipsch falls on that spectrum. If the Klipsch has lots of mid-bass output like the Hsu, then you might be ok going with a really small speaker like the NHT SuperZeros which roll off around 100Hz. But the safer pick would be a slightly bigger speaker like the SuperOnes or WD 220 which roll off around 50-60Hz.

Or, you could simply start with the SuperZeros as an experiment, and exchange them for the SO or 220 if needed.

post #13 of 20 Old 03-28-2020, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
I have a recently liberated Klipsch RPW-10 powered sub that’️s in perfect condition, if that’️s not overkill. I could place it in the leg cutout of the built in cabinets. The cutout is 32”x 32” x 32” and has power outlet. It’️s a big sub but there is plenty of room in there.

One consideration on the desktop speakers is size. I’️d rather not have huge boxes sitting at either end of the built in desk. Even though the surface is 12 feet x 32” deep. I think the Wharfedale Diamond 220 would be the upper limit on the size I’️d like to have at each end.

If that sub isn’️t overkill does that change the suggestions for the desktop bookshelf speakers?
The Klipsch sub is a good addition, what I'm not sure about is how much mid-bass output it provides between 100-200Hz...some subs like the Hsu are known for providing lots, while others like SVS are reportedly more focused on the lower frequencies, 15-80Hz...no idea where the Klipsch falls on that spectrum. If the Klipsch has lots of mid-bass output like the Hsu, then you might be ok going with a really small speaker like the NHT SuperZeros which roll off around 100Hz. But the safer pick would be a slightly bigger speaker like the SuperOnes or WD 220 which roll off around 50-60Hz.

Or, you could simply start with the SuperZeros as an experiment, and exchange them for the SO or 220 if needed.
@Zorba922 - According to the attached spec sheet for the RPW10 it looks like your correct. Probably best to stick with the Superone, or WD220.
I ordered a set of SuperOnes for inside garage so I can test those out. They arrive around the same time as the SMSL SA300. I can then wait for a sale or good deal on the WD220 or grab another pair of SuperOnes.

This has been fun and a good distraction from all the COVID craziness. Thanks for helping me figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7918CC57-8413-4DFA-8A84-5D9261655765_1585420663865.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	2702776  
post #14 of 20 Old 03-28-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I ordered a set of SuperOnes for inside garage so I can test those out. They arrive around the same time as the SMSL SA300. I can then wait for a sale or good deal on the WD220 or grab another pair of SuperOnes.
Good plan.

I doubt the WD220 will go any lower than $200/pr unless you find an open-box or scratch and dent special. They were originally $350/pr. They're on clearance right now since they've been replaced by the WD 11.1 which are $350.

post #15 of 20 Old 03-28-2020, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 777
I can't understand why you want to put your speakers 12' apart when you're listening near-field.
There is plenty of room around your monitor for a pair of speakers. I would suggest speakers with a 5.25" woofer to save space. Kef Q150 would work perfectly due to their co-axial driver.
bear123 likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-28-2020, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
I can't understand why you want to put your speakers 12' apart when you're listening near-field.
There is plenty of room around your monitor for a pair of speakers. I would suggest speakers with a 5.25" woofer to save space. Kef Q150 would work perfectly due to their co-axial driver.
@sigpig - I see your point. It would actually be better for me to put them on either side of the monitor so I don’t have speaker wires running the length of the 12 foot long desk.
bear123 likes this.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-28-2020, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked: 4852
I was thinking the same thing, you'll want the speakers a little outside of your monitor, not out to the ends of the desk.

How about these:
https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors/305PMKII.html

They very frequently go on sale for much less than that and are considered by many to have some of the best sound quality you can get for the price.

Along with https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ab09Fc...ha-WXC-50.html

Definitely not the cheapest option, but sometimes when you go cheap you get what you pay for. This unit has tested and measured very nicely.

https://www.jbl.com/sale/STAGE+A120P...d=sale#start=1

These powered speakers also measure very well, especially given their very small size:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...iABEgJfaPD_BwE

A review:
http://noaudiophile.com/IK_Multimedia_iLoudMM/

Last edited by bear123; 03-28-2020 at 03:26 PM.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-28-2020, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Not sure If you are worried about aesthetics but many Mac owners pair white to tie into the their look. IF this is the case then wharfedale would be a good choice as well as other offerings from rsl, kef and psb imagine mini.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-28-2020, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereojunkie View Post
Not sure If you are worried about aesthetics but many Mac owners pair white to tie into the their look. IF this is the case then wharfedale would be a good choice as well as other offerings from rsl, kef and psb imagine mini.
@stereojunkie - definitely a consideration. I know I don’t want ugly black boxes. Don’t need white per se. I think I’d like some pretty walnut or cherry. Those PSB Imagine Mini are great looking.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-28-2020, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
I was thinking the same thing, you'll want the speakers a little outside of your monitor, not out to the ends of the desk.

How about these:
https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors/305PMKII.html

They very frequently go on sale for much less than that and are considered by many to have some of the best sound quality you can get for the price.

Along with https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ab09Fc...ha-WXC-50.html

Definitely not the cheapest option, but sometimes when you go cheap you get what you pay for. This unit has tested and measured very nicely.

https://www.jbl.com/sale/STAGE+A120P...d=sale#start=1

These powered speakers also measure very well, especially given their very small size:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...iABEgJfaPD_BwE

A review:
http://noaudiophile.com/IK_Multimedia_iLoudMM/
@bear123 - I appreciate you taking the time to put that together.
What are the benefits to having the speakers powered? I have an SMSL Sa300 in order and was going to run passive speakers with tie powered Klipsch sub.
As for the Yamaha pre- amp, that’s a neat unit but you may have to explain it to me

The only functionality I need is an input for my Mac and Bluetooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page