Forum Jump: 
 232Likes

post #1 of 167 Old 03-26-2020, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Bookshelf Speaker Shootout

The new theater room is almost complete so now it is time to start having real fun!

I am auditioning bookshelves instead of towers because I unfortunately right now have to do things a little backward. My Paradigm Reference 100v2's will have to stay in service along with the matching center. I just don't have the budget to replace the front 3. So, the bookshelves will be for the side and rear surrounds. My line of thinking is that if I like the bookshelves then certainly the towers will be even better still.

Of course I could have purchased several dozen different bookshelves but I decided to limit myself to 5 or 6 contenders, which will duke it out to see which ones stay. The chosen few in no particular order:
1. PSB Imagine XB

2. Chane A1.5

3. Ascend Sierra 1

4. Aperion Verus III

5. JBL Studio 530

6. Wharfdale Evo 4.1

I wanted to audition Emotiva but unfortunately their bookshelves are out of stock. I'm hoping they will be back in stock so as to add them into the fray. It was also heavily recommended that I listen to Elac but unfortunately they are also out of stock.

The methodology I'm starting with will be as such:
1. Run all speakers through a 72-hour break-in period. Is that necessary? Maybe or maybe not. Will it hurt anything doing it? Nope.
2. Arbitrarily pick 2 sets at a time to go head-to-head. Loser is returned. I will be listening without grills.
3. Listen to the same base playlist then expand from there depending on what I hear. So, for example, if I listen to John Rutter's Requiem and question the choral sound maybe I'll put in something from Chanticleer or King's Singers to investigate more. I'll outline the playlist in the next post, I'm still deciding.
4. Take copious notes along the way of course.
5. Level match using my trusty Radio Shack decibel meter.
6. Run a REW sweep for each speaker from the listening position. I have no experience with this but I do have a UMIK-1 and of course the software so I'll do my best. Great way to learn the basics!

7. Once I think I have a winner from each pairing I'll have my fiancee swap out speakers while I'm blindfolded to either confirm my decision or really confuse me. Or both. I'll also have her stand in front of the speakers while they are playing and have her put the grills on or off without me knowing whether they are indeed on or off, just to see if I can tell a difference.

8. Have a ton of fun!

The system:
1. One of my older PCs running FLAC audio
2. My old Integra 9.9 pre/pro

3. Bryston 9BST amp
4. Analysis Plus Oval 12 speaker cables
5. GLS XLR cables
6. Acme Audio power cable to the amp. With a blue extension cord. The guest bedroom/bathroom suite is all on one breaker save for the whirlpool tub. I can't so much as make the music medium volume without tripping the breaker so I'm having to draw power from the adjacent bathroom.

Now, the room setup. This was painstakingly designed and executed as you can see in the image. The Integra is carefully leveled and placed on acoustic damping material, a medium-nap carpet. The Bryston amp is carefully raised off the acoustic material on custom scraps of 2x4. The speaker stands, as you can see, are custom pieces. I designed them over a duration of approximately 10 minutes using only choice custom materials. The cables are relatively neatly coiled in the back. The seating is a custom pained vintage dining room chair with a newly upgraded memory foam cushion. The umbrella tree in the right corner is about 15 years old and lost some leaves while moving it about. The picture immediately to the left of the computer is my mom's wedding picture. The other pieces of art you see there are from various years of Musikfest (if you are ever in the Bethlehem PA area when its happening, make sure to go!) My connection to the festival runs deep, but I digress.

In all seriousness, I'll position things a bit better but this is pretty much the idea. I'll purchase good speaker stands from either Monoprice or Sanus once the shootout is over.

I'll be listening without a sub. I know myself well enough that if the sub isn't positioned precisely where it should be then I'll be distracted and the decision making process will be significantly complicated and I'll have approximately zero fun with this process. I'll listen to them first full range to see what they can do but I'll primarily be listening to the speakers crossed over at 60. That way I'll have at least a little low end but shouldn't be taxing the woofers. I'm really just listening for timbre/SQ at this point. The subs will be twin Devastators along with my old Velodyne DD15, so I'm not at all concerned about the low end of the system.

What am I looking for? I'm looking for a neutral presentation that does not fatigue in the high end. This is the single most important attribute for me. I need a soundstage that is strong but one that doesn't collapse at high volume. In that regard I'm more concerned with width of the soundstage than I am with depth. I need good headroom. Aesthetics do not matter at all. I couldn't care less if a speaker looks like a dead cat folded up into a rectangle, it just needs to sound good. My WAF is zero. She doesn't care at all. I have zero bias toward any of these speakers. I haven't heard any of them and don't have experience with any. (I have heard PSB and JBL but it has been probably 20 years ago in a showroom so I don't count that as having any experience.)

Please post comments along the way. I've never done anything like this before so I'll appreciate any help you can offer.

So this ends the introduction. If you are so inclined, please join me on the journey!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200326_190514.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	744.1 KB
ID:	2702008  

Last edited by Gary Mertz; Today at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 167 Old 03-26-2020, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Round 1, Part 1

Reserved for pair A vs. B

Last edited by Gary Mertz; 03-26-2020 at 05:10 PM.
post #3 of 167 Old 03-26-2020, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Round 1, Part 2

Reserved for pair C and D

Last edited by Gary Mertz; 03-26-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 167 Old 03-26-2020, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Round 1, Part 3

Reserved for pairs E and F

Last edited by Gary Mertz; 03-26-2020 at 05:11 PM.
post #5 of 167 Old 03-26-2020, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Round 2, Part 1

Reserved

Last edited by Gary Mertz; 03-26-2020 at 05:11 PM.
post #6 of 167 Old 03-26-2020, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Round 2, Part 2

Reserved
post #7 of 167 Old 03-26-2020, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Round 3, The Finals

Reserved
post #8 of 167 Old 03-26-2020, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked: 2000
i'm very interested in how you like the sierra 1..my guess is that it's gonna be pretty good..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #9 of 167 Old 03-27-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3379 Post(s)
Liked: 3278
If you still are going to look at a 6th option -- then maybe consider the Wharfedale Evo bookshelf
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_336EVO...-1-Walnut.html
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #10 of 167 Old 03-27-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 777
How can anyone take you seriously when you use a BLUE extension cable?
Every Serious Audiophile(tm) knows that for the best sound quality, you need a YELLOW extension cord. Even though it can't be measured doesn't mean that the speakers will sound more "open"...
Vikram Iyengar likes this.
post #11 of 167 Old 03-27-2020, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
The subs will be twin Devastators along with my old Velodyne DD15, so I'm not at all concerned about the low end of the system.
Only 2? Which driver are you going with?

Sounds like fun; I look forward to your impressions.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #12 of 167 Old 03-27-2020, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
How can anyone take you seriously when you use a BLUE extension cable?
Every Serious Audiophile(tm) knows that for the best sound quality, you need a YELLOW extension cord. Even though it can't be measured doesn't mean that the speakers will sound more "open"...

I know, I know, but the ORANGE ones were even better and more expensive than the yellow ones but they were out of my budget.
post #13 of 167 Old 03-27-2020, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

zieglj01--I considered those Wharfdales but my reading suggested they may be a bit too much on the warm side.

Vergiliusm--Yes, only lonely twins. Driver will be the LaVoce SAN214.50 but sometimes I'm vacillating between that and the Eminence NSW6021
Vergiliusm likes this.
post #14 of 167 Old 03-27-2020, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I'm betting he will like the JBL 530's...they can be a little warm or laid back for movies but music it doesn't get much better...my opinion of course..... loudness wars in movies?..…Maybe so.... especially in 2 channel like I'm doing....movies are alot lower than music with same volume.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #15 of 167 Old 03-27-2020, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=josh6113;59418798]I'm betting he will like the JBL 530's...they can be a little warm or laid back for movies but music it doesn't get much better...my opinion of course..... loudness wars in movies?..…Maybe so.... especially in 2 channel like I'm doing....movies are alot lower than music with same volume.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Can you explain a little more what you mean? It seems that if they are warm/laid back for movies then it should be the same for music. You mentioned too that "movies are alot lower...." I don't follow what you mean?
post #16 of 167 Old 03-27-2020, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Paint the walls first.
post #17 of 167 Old 03-27-2020, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 145
[quote=Gary Mertz;59418882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post
I'm betting he will like the JBL 530's...they can be a little warm or laid back for movies but music it doesn't get much better...my opinion of course..... loudness wars in movies?..…Maybe so.... especially in 2 channel like I'm doing....movies are alot lower than music with same volume.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Can you explain a little more what you mean? It seems that if they are warm/laid back for movies then it should be the same for music. You mentioned too that "movies are alot lower...." I don't follow what you mean?
It's pretty simple if you own these....music comes through clear as a bell..movies are a little laid back and hard to hear...could be movies are 5.1 at least and my down sample is weak...but I doubt it....movies just arnt as ingaging as music...100% true.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #18 of 167 Old 03-27-2020, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Paint the walls first.
Careful with the sheen. Flat may be too dull, matte probably neutral and gloss sounds too bright.
sigpig and MRAYB like this.
post #19 of 167 Old 03-27-2020, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Interested in your findings. I have had three of your five offerings. Comparing like this is fun.....enjoy.
post #20 of 167 Old 03-28-2020, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Well this isn't part of the official review process but the PSBs arrived the other day. They have so far undergone approximately 24 hours of break-in and they are playing about 12 hours/day. So I'm in the basement priming the walls/ceiling/etc in the theater. Came up to take a break and I hear one of my favorite songs came on (among the probably 2.7 million of my favorite songs), Slash "Back from Cali" on the self-titled album. The PSBs are better sounding than my Paradigms. Cranked them up and they just kept pace. Surprising bass, not fatiguing. Oh man am I in for some fun with this shootout!
post #21 of 167 Old 03-28-2020, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mertz View Post
Well this isn't part of the official review process but the PSBs arrived the other day. They have so far undergone approximately 24 hours of break-in and they are playing about 12 hours/day. So I'm in the basement priming the walls/ceiling/etc in the theater. Came up to take a break and I hear one of my favorite songs came on (among the probably 2.7 million of my favorite songs), Slash "Back from Cali" on the self-titled album. The PSBs are better sounding than my Paradigms. Cranked them up and they just kept pace. Surprising bass, not fatiguing. Oh man am I in for some fun with this shootout!
i wouldn't get too caught up in "break in" it's debatable that it exists.. and most that believe in it are talked into it be dealers worried about returns.. jmo ymmv .. i'd give em an hour break in and get to it .. i think that @PhilharmonicDennis and @Ascend , and a few others here might agree,, just trying to save you some time and effort...
Billy p, Kini62 and Transmaniacon like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #22 of 167 Old 03-28-2020, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Nice....going back a few yrs....I compared PSB, Paradigm and Energy( when they were under the API label). I wound up keeping the Energy RCs. They were basically in between the other two. The PSB sound had a completely neutral soundstage, veiled so to speak...like many folks like to described as "warm"...the digms OTOH... highs were exaggerated somewhat, detailing and imaging was adequate ...RCs... upper end I found was a tad more recessed vs. the digms not as aggressive I suppose... imaging was more inline with the PSB sound.

I..ordered the Sierra 1 nrt...to compare and eventually sold the Energies. The S1 by comparison have a rolled off upper end but I've not heard them per se...the Nrt version provides a bit more extension into those upper frequencies taking imaging to another level hence my decision to audition and eventually sell my old speakers.

By the sounds if you're enjoying the PSB XB currently...you might take a liking to the Sierra1...but how they both compare to the others...I'll follow along and await your impressions.

Re,

Bill
Lp85253 likes this.

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
65" LG OLED C9, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
post #23 of 167 Old 03-28-2020, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i wouldn't get too caught up in "break in" it's debatable that it exists.. and most that believe in it are talked into it be dealers worried about returns.. jmo ymmv .. i'd give em an hour break in and get to it .. i think that @PhilharmonicDennis and @Ascend , and a few others here might agree,, just trying to save you some time and effort...
I've conducted a number of experiments in this area, and the only benefit of extended play-in is getting the woofer Fs down a few Hz. That makes intuitive sense, and I've observed the change in the woofer's free air resonance many times when I've made TS parameter measurements before and after some flexing. The most efficient way to do that is with a dedicated bass tone of 10 - 20 Hz. So for this monitor comparo, I would invest in a CD that has test tones down into the deep bass and play 10 - 20 Hz tone for an hour with your CD player on repeat, or source the tone from the Web if possible. That way you don't have to listen to the source material (I doubt that you'll hear anything with these speakers) and you'll give the woofer a much better workout. ( Of course, don't play the tone at high enough volume to overload the woofer.) Another benefit is that you'll be able to use the bass tracks to evaluate the bass extension of the various speakers, in particular which are able to deliver an audible fundamental below 50 Hz.
post #24 of 167 Old 03-28-2020, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Looks like a lonely job with that one chair. 😕

I love this HD stuff!
post #25 of 167 Old 03-28-2020, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Break-in, yes, a highly debatable topic. I personally do think it makes a difference but I'm not sure I can really qualify that. I'll cut down the break-in period to about 15-20 I think. In that regard, the PSBs are ready to roll and I have turned off the system. I do feel like I need to do the same break-in period for the others because my OCD will absolutely not allow me to convince myself that they don't all need that same break-in period. Whether or not it will make a difference, maybe, but I can hear my mind already saying "but are you SURE you really don't like them as much as the other ones because you know they didn't break in!"

@ lastplace--yes, lonely chair and I'm going to have my fiancee sit in for a little while but she doesn't have a trained ear at all. For example, my temporary setup just for TV is in the living room. I snake the wires across the floor and put the surrounds on either side of the sectional for surround with my sitting position exactly in the middle. It was like that for NCAAF season and some movies. She eventually had me move them and for a while I had them just hanging out at the front facing the wall behind the TV. It drove me absolutely bananas. She didn't hear a scrap of difference. Another example: when she first got her new car the stereo was of course absolutely horribly calibrated. I played around with fade, equalizer, etc. and it sounded worlds better. She couldn't tell that I had done anything.

@ PhilharmonicDennis--great suggestion. I have several good Stereophile CDs that I have in FLAC and I should be able to employ those to good effect.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #26 of 167 Old 03-28-2020, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Driver will be the LaVoce SAN214.50 but sometimes I'm vacillating between that and the Eminence NSW6021
The LaVoce is no slouch, but the Eminence would be the way to go if you can swing the extra money. With those midbass monsters and smaller bookshelves, I'd experiment with a higher crossover point than usual.

It should be interesting. It'd be hard to predict, but that is half the fun to see how close we come to the final pick.

I would expect the PSB, Chane, and Ascend to all be very neutral. I'm not familiar with the Aperions, but they look good on paper, and the compression driver on the JBL will be the wild card. My bias would lean towards the Chane and Ascend, since I'm a fan of Jon and Dave's design philosophy from their participation here, but I imagine they are all solid performers.

It'll probably come down to the little things like the minor differences in voicing and your preference for a particular profile. I own the Chane A1.4, so picking them would be too predictable.

My prediction: Ascend Sierra 1

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #27 of 167 Old 03-28-2020, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

I like the predictions, that's cool! The Chanes came today and I hooked them up immediately. Cranked them up for Alice and Chains "Junkhead" off Dirt. Wow. Better bass than the PSBs immediately. Smooth. Sounded like they just wanted to keep getting louder but it was plenty loud for me. I have them running upstairs now. Jon has been EXTREMELY helpful, a very personal touch that I think is exemplary.

The Ascends are scheduled to be here tomorrow and I think the Aperions on Tuesday.

I agree that the JBLs will be the wild card with the compression drivers. The Chanes of course are also outliers with the ribbon. I still am really hoping the Emotivas get back in stock soon.

So the first round is set. PSB vs. Chane. I'll be taking notes and of course listening extensively and will post in the Round 1 slot when finished.
post #28 of 167 Old 03-29-2020, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Another quick first impression. The Aperions showed up today. Listened to Slash, "Beautiful Dangerous" from his self-titled album. Siblant, pronounced high end. Not at all a fun listen. I could barely discern when the drummer hit a crash through the treble. Nothing sounded delineated nor clear. Not distorted, just very bright and without definition. There is a jumper on the back to tone down the treble by -3dB but my opinion is that it shouldn't be needed. I'll be interested to see what REW shows. The presentation wins by far. Blue velvet bags with gold toned draw strings, microfiber cloths for cleaning. The problem is that I don't want to pay for blue velvet bags nor microfiber cloths. We will see how they fare in the end.
post #29 of 167 Old 03-29-2020, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm wondering if I should consider the Martin Logan Motion 35XT. Any input on that?
doctors11 likes this.
post #30 of 167 Old 03-29-2020, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9778 Post(s)
Liked: 6792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mertz View Post
Another quick first impression. The Aperions showed up today. Listened to Slash, "Beautiful Dangerous" from his self-titled album. Siblant, pronounced high end. Not at all a fun listen. I could barely discern when the drummer hit a crash through the treble. Nothing sounded delineated nor clear. Not distorted, just very bright and without definition. There is a jumper on the back to tone down the treble by -3dB but my opinion is that it shouldn't be needed. I'll be interested to see what REW shows. The presentation wins by far. Blue velvet bags with gold toned draw strings, microfiber cloths for cleaning. The problem is that I don't want to pay for blue velvet bags nor microfiber cloths. We will see how they fare in the end.
Gary, thanks for this shootout; they are always enlightening.

One tiny suggestion.

When you mention a speaker can you mention the entire model to make it easier to follow as not all of us recall one day to the next the exact model.

Or maybe put the models in the signature line so they appear every time you comment?

For others, Gary's first impressions of the Aperion Verus III bookshelf at an msrp of $800/pair are described above.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the effort.
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page