Bose Acousticmas 15 wiring with Onkyo Atmos receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-27-2020, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wasn’t sure where to put this question: How should I wire my atmos setup?
I have a 10yr old Bose acoustimass 16 series 2 system 6.1 that I have been using forever. I recently purchased a new Onkyo receiver and installed 2 more Polk audio floor standing speakers in front and another Klipsch subwoofer in front. I am setup and running at 5.1.2 And the Bose sub in the rear of my room. It sounds great, every channel works as it should however I notice anytime someone talks the Bose subwoofer adds bass to the vocals and it’s hard to hear for some of my back seats that sit next to the acoustimass module. Right now I have the 6.1 setup going through the acousticmas module and the Polk floor standing and klipch subwoofer right into the Onkyo receiver. Should I rewire and have all of my speakers directly to the Onkyo? They are all small double cubes. Will this be better to let Onkyo process the sound and bass. Rather than Bose?

Last edited by turbosl2; 03-27-2020 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Wrong Bose system mentioned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-27-2020, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked: 2792
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosl2 View Post
I wasn’t sure where to put this question: How should I wire my atmos setup?
I have a 10yr old Bose acoustimass 16 series 2 system 6.1 that I have been using forever. I recently purchased a new Onkyo receiver and installed 2 more Polk audio floor standing speakers in front and another Klipsch subwoofer in front. I am setup and running at 5.1.2 And the Bose sub in the rear of my room. It sounds great, every channel works as it should however I notice anytime someone talks the Bose subwoofer adds bass to the vocals and it’s hard to hear for some of my back seats that sit next to the acoustimass module. Right now I have the 6.1 setup going through the acousticmas module and the Polk floor standing and klipch subwoofer right into the Onkyo receiver. Should I rewire and have all of my speakers directly to the Onkyo? They are all small double cubes. Will this be better to let Onkyo process the sound and bass. Rather than Bose?
Yes. Take the Bose bass module out of the setup.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 8 Old 03-27-2020, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Quote:
I wasn’️t sure where to put this question: How should I wire my atmos setup?
I have a 10yr old Bose acoustimass 16 series 2 system 6.1 that I have been using forever. I recently purchased a new Onkyo receiver and installed 2 more Polk audio floor standing speakers in front and another Klipsch subwoofer in front. I am setup and running at 5.1.2 And the Bose sub in the rear of my room. It sounds great, every channel works as it should however I notice anytime someone talks the Bose subwoofer adds bass to the vocals and it’️s hard to hear for some of my back seats that sit next to the acoustimass module. Right now I have the 6.1 setup going through the acousticmas module and the Polk floor standing and klipch subwoofer right into the Onkyo receiver. Should I rewire and have all of my speakers directly to the Onkyo? They are all small double cubes. Will this be better to let Onkyo process the sound and bass. Rather than Bose?
Yes. Take the Bose bass module out of the setup.
I will give it a try. I am worried the cube speakers are so small they won’t have a full range output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-27-2020, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
I will give it a try. I am worried the cube speakers are so small they won’t have a full range output.

They won't have full range. If you connect them to the AVR and bypass the Bose bass module, you should probably cross at 150hz to start. All the crossover components are in the bass module and none in the cubes.

Did you check to see if there are Bass/LFE dials on the Bose bass module? You could always turn them down and that should solve your issue.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-27-2020, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
The Bose cubes won't hit a much below 200hz...so literally, no bass and only upper mid bass. Also, I think they are 2 Ohm, so they are NOT easy to drive. I would look at alternative surrounds.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
post #6 of 8 Old 03-28-2020, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac2040 View Post
Quote:
I will give it a try. I am worried the cube speakers are so small they won’️t have a full range output.

They won't have full range. If you connect them to the AVR and bypass the Bose bass module, you should probably cross at 150hz to start. All the crossover components are in the bass module and none in the cubes.

Did you check to see if there are Bass/LFE dials on the Bose bass module? You could always turn them down and that should solve your issue.
That’s what I was thinking. I did try the Bass and LFE and honestly for the surround and center the LFE dial does nothing I can notice. The bass dial fixes the issue but I have to turn the subwoofer all to wall down which in turn provides no bass. I am wondering if I just bypass the center channel and replace the center with a S35 Polk audio center speaker. I am not sure how the Bose processes the sound but one would think if I removed that channel from the bass module and added a full range speaker directly to the receiver it should solve the problem? Thoughts?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-28-2020, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I thought your issue was with just the Bose bass module but you can replace the Bose center cubes with another center (as a temporary or permanent fix) and connect that directly to your AVR. It should have no effect on the other speakers attached to the Bose bass module. I did exactly that with a HTD Level 2 center while I contemplate my speaker upgrades
post #8 of 8 Old 03-28-2020, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Do what I did, left my Acoustimass 10 on the goodwill door step.

I love this HD stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page