Emotiva or Canton? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By Boombox13
  • 2 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Boombox13
  • 1 Post By gajCA
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Emotiva or Canton?

Trying to decide on the two. I already own an Emotiva C2 center channel and I’m not sure if I should get the T2 towers or get the Canton Chrono SL 590.2 or 509.2 DC speakers. Accessories 4 less offers the matching center channel for free when you buy the towers. Has anyone compared the Emotiva speakers to the Canton speakers? The Canton’s would be $300-$400 more than the Emotiva’s but if they’re a better speaker then it’s worth the difference in price.
jtenn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,392
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked: 3288
Ask yourself how you like the C2. Is it everything you wanted in a center? If so, then no reason to not get the T2. If not, then you may want to explore alternatives. Canton ... you may like them better, or not. It's all about personal preference.
Zorba922 likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15,968
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9130 Post(s)
Liked: 7002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
Trying to decide on the two. I already own an Emotiva C2 center channel and I’m not sure if I should get the T2 towers or get the Canton Chrono SL 590.2 or 509.2 DC speakers. Accessories 4 less offers the matching center channel for free when you buy the towers. Has anyone compared the Emotiva speakers to the Canton speakers? The Canton’s would be $300-$400 more than the Emotiva’s but if they’re a better speaker then it’s worth the difference in price.
"Better" is different things for different people. Let's start with what you already have: What are your current L/R speakers that you're using with your C2?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
"Better" is different things for different people. Let's start with what you already have: What are your current L/R speakers that you're using with your C2?
I'm using Bowers Wilkins DM580's.

jtenn is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
Trying to decide on the two. I already own an Emotiva C2 center channel and I’m not sure if I should get the T2 towers or get the Canton Chrono SL 590.2 or 509.2 DC speakers. Accessories 4 less offers the matching center channel for free when you buy the towers. Has anyone compared the Emotiva speakers to the Canton speakers? The Canton’s would be $300-$400 more than the Emotiva’s but if they’re a better speaker then it’s worth the difference in price.
Any of the Canton Chrono series speakers will have more detail than the T2’s. Especially the SL series.

Personally I feel that the Canton GLEs have more detail than the T2s.
Boombox13 is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 8,138
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked: 3273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
Trying to decide on the two. I already own an Emotiva C2 center channel and I’m not sure if I should get the T2 towers or get the Canton Chrono SL 590.2 or 509.2 DC speakers. Accessories 4 less offers the matching center channel for free when you buy the towers. Has anyone compared the Emotiva speakers to the Canton speakers? The Canton’s would be $300-$400 more than the Emotiva’s but if they’re a better speaker then it’s worth the difference in price.
If you have a good sub(s), you can go up 2 more levels and get Canton Vento reference bookshelf speakers or do Vento bookshelves with a Rhythmik L12/L22.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html
BufordTJustice likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15,968
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9130 Post(s)
Liked: 7002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
I'm using Bowers Wilkins DM580's.
What % of your usage is music and what % is HT/TV?

What things are you happy or unhappy about the 580s? What particular aspects are you wishing to improve?

Detail?
Neutrality? / Accuracy?
Warmth?
Brightness?
Soundstage?
Imaging?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
What % of your usage is music and what % is HT/TV?

What things are you happy or unhappy about the 580s? What particular aspects are you wishing to improve?

Detail?
Neutrality? / Accuracy?
Warmth?
Brightness?
Soundstage?
Imaging?
90% HT and 10% music. This speaker setup was in our old house but we had a new one built which is setup for Atmos so I need to get a new receiver as I'm leaving my Sherwood Newcastle R972 behind. I'm possibly looking at a Marantz SR5014. It was suggested I would need a more powerful receiver such as the Onkyo TX-RZ830 to use with the B&W speakers and thats when Canton's were brought up.

jtenn is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 8,138
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked: 3273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
90% HT and 10% music. This speaker setup was in our old house but we had a new one built which is setup for Atmos so I need to get a new receiver as I'm leaving my Sherwood Newcastle R972 behind. I'm possibly looking at a Marantz SR5014. It was suggested I would need a more powerful receiver such as the Onkyo TX-RZ830 to use with the B&W speakers and thats when Canton's were brought up.
With most usage being TV/HT, Keep what you have unless you're really not happy with the sound. Getting a pair of good HT subs like HSU VTF-2 MK5's would be a good investment.

Unless you plan on expanding to 5.1.4, a Denon X3500 would be a good option, especially if going with dual subs.
BufordTJustice likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
90% HT and 10% music. This speaker setup was in our old house but we had a new one built which is setup for Atmos so I need to get a new receiver as I'm leaving my Sherwood Newcastle R972 behind. I'm possibly looking at a Marantz SR5014. It was suggested I would need a more powerful receiver such as the Onkyo TX-RZ830 to use with the B&W speakers and thats when Canton's were brought up.
It doesn't sound like you are unhappy with your speakers....and the hiccup here is a new receiver.

Depending on how many total speakers you are planning on utilizing, I suggest that you consider using a receiver/external amp combo.

5 channel external amp for L/C/R and surrounds, or
3 channel external amp for L/C/R

Use the receivers amp to power the Atmos and/or surround speakers.

Just make sure the receiver has the pre-outs you need for your set-up.
Lp85253 likes this.

59" Samsung Series 7000 Plasma TV Samsung BD-D5500 Blu-ray player
Onkyo TX-NR609 AV Receiver
Canton TBD (Center) Canton Chrono SL 596 DC (L & R)
JBL SP6CII (Frt Height & RR Surround)
Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
Boombox13 is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombox13 View Post
It doesn't sound like you are unhappy with your speakers....and the hiccup here is a new receiver.

Depending on how many total speakers you are planning on utilizing, I suggest that you consider using a receiver/external amp combo.

5 channel external amp for L/C/R and surrounds, or
3 channel external amp for L/C/R

Use the receivers amp to power the Atmos and/or surround speakers.

Just make sure the receiver has the pre-outs you need for your set-up.
It's wired for a 5.1.2 speaker setup. I'm Looking at spending $500-$600 for a receiver so external amps are out of the equation.

jtenn is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15,968
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9130 Post(s)
Liked: 7002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
90% HT and 10% music. This speaker setup was in our old house but we had a new one built which is setup for Atmos so I need to get a new receiver as I'm leaving my Sherwood Newcastle R972 behind. I'm possibly looking at a Marantz SR5014. It was suggested I would need a more powerful receiver such as the Onkyo TX-RZ830 to use with the B&W speakers and thats when Canton's were brought up.
http://bwgroupsupport.com/downloads/...0InfoSheet.pdf

Let me guess who came up with that ridiculous recommendation: a salesman who sells boutique amps or that Onkyo RZ830? Or a snooty self-identified "audiophile?" Your DM580 are 8 ohms and 91db sensitive...absolutely zero need for an external amp unless you're trying to achieve rock concert volume levels. Are you? If not, and if you're happy with them, just keep them as is.

Money much better spent on upgrading your sub if needed.
Gary Mertz and drh3b like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15,968
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9130 Post(s)
Liked: 7002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
I'm Looking at spending $500-$600 for a receiver so external amps are out of the equation.
Google up pricing on the Denon X2500. Hint: Jeff Bezos' site.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 21,246
Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10090 Post(s)
Liked: 7089
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
Trying to decide on the two. I already own an Emotiva C2 center channel and I’m not sure if I should get the T2 towers or get the Canton Chrono SL 590.2 or 509.2 DC speakers. Accessories 4 less offers the matching center channel for free when you buy the towers. Has anyone compared the Emotiva speakers to the Canton speakers? The Canton’s would be $300-$400 more than the Emotiva’s but if they’re a better speaker then it’s worth the difference in price.
For your use, and it sounds like you are happy with the C2 as a nice clear center I'd just get the T2s because if you don't like the Cantons, (they do make great speakers), returning to A4L is cost prohibitive.
Zorba922 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 8,138
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked: 3273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
It's wired for a 5.1.2 speaker setup. I'm Looking at spending $500-$600 for a receiver so external amps are out of the equation.
You don't really need external amps. Your speakers are reasonably efficient and could get louder than most people can listen at with a mid level AVR like a Denon X series.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
For your use, and it sounds like you are happy with the C2 as a nice clear center I'd just get the T2s because if you don't like the Cantons, (they do make great speakers), returning to A4L is cost prohibitive.
Just curious, does any other vendor sell Cantons in the U.S?
doctors11 is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 21,246
Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10090 Post(s)
Liked: 7089
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
Just curious, does any other vendor sell Cantons in the U.S?
Amazon has a handful of models, mostly GLE, but no floorstanders.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 03:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Amazon has a handful of models, mostly GLE, but no floorstanders.
Too bad Crutchfield or Music Direct doesn't carry them. I bet they would sell well.
doctors11 is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 21,246
Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10090 Post(s)
Liked: 7089
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
Too bad Crutchfield or Music Direct doesn't carry them. I bet they would sell well.
Canton makes excellent speakers and I wouldn't hesitate to buy some bookshelves from A4L as I'm very confident that Chronos and up would be great.

Floorstanders are more problematic just because of the massive risk of having to pay shipping BOTH ways if for some reason you are not happy.

And a restocking fee and more fees if THEY deem they are not in perfect condition.
doctors11 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
http://bwgroupsupport.com/downloads/...0InfoSheet.pdf

Let me guess who came up with that ridiculous recommendation: a salesman who sells boutique amps or that Onkyo RZ830? Or a snooty self-identified "audiophile?" Your DM580 are 8 ohms and 91db sensitive...absolutely zero need for an external amp unless you're trying to achieve rock concert volume levels. Are you? If not, and if you're happy with them, just keep them as is.

Money much better spent on upgrading your sub if needed.
I'm happy with my sub so I'll look into the receiver.

jtenn is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 03-28-2020, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
Just curious, does any other vendor sell Cantons in the U.S?
Sound Approach
doctors11 likes this.
Boombox13 is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 03-29-2020, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 21,246
Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10090 Post(s)
Liked: 7089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombox13 View Post
Sound Approach
Their return policy is even harsher than A4L which I thought was impossible!

https://soundapproach.com/shipping

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 03-29-2020, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Their return policy is even harsher than A4L which I thought was impossible!

https://soundapproach.com/shipping
I don’t consider A4L’s return policy harsh.
I think it’s reasonable considering the discounts
Boombox13 is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 03-29-2020, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 21,246
Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10090 Post(s)
Liked: 7089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombox13 View Post
I don’t consider A4L’s return policy harsh.
I think it’s reasonable considering the discounts
Yes, considering the discounts, which are substantial, it is far far less harsh than Sound Approach which sells the current generation while, I believe, A4L sells prior generations.

Prior generations are likely every bit as good to the ear as current generations as most speaker lines evolve slowly with "revolutionary" changes elusive.

Often the changes are larger in marketing speak than in execution.
doctors11 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 03-29-2020, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Yes, considering the discounts, which are substantial, it is far far less harsh than Sound Approach which sells the current generation while, I believe, A4L sells prior generations.

Prior generations are likely every bit as good to the ear as current generations as most speaker lines evolve slowly with "revolutionary" changes elusive.

Often the changes are larger in marketing speak than in execution.
Although A4L sells prior generations....A4L does sell current generation Cantons too.
Boombox13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off