Dali Oberon 7/5 and Oberon 3/1 upgrade, worth it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By pase22

post #1 of 13 Old 03-29-2020, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Dali Oberon 7/5 and Oberon 3/1 upgrade, worth it?

Hi all,

Is Oberon 7 worth an upgrade from Oberon 5 ? To be used as front speakers.

Similarly upgrade from Oberon 3 from Oberon 1 ? To be used as surround speakers on wall mount.

Assuming that the amp/receiver can handle the power required and hall size is large enough to handle the upgrade.

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-29-2020, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 3266
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgoat View Post
Hi all,

Is Oberon 7 worth an upgrade from Oberon 5 ? To be used as front speakers.

Similarly upgrade from Oberon 3 from Oberon 1 ? To be used as surround speakers on wall mount.

Assuming that the amp/receiver can handle the power required and hall size is large enough to handle the upgrade.

Thanks in advance!!
The 7's will have more presence and a little better dynamics, but you could easily make up the difference and improve your sound with a sub(s). Personally, I don't think it's worth the upgrade, but you'd have to listen to both to see if the difference is worth it to you. For surround duty, I definitely wouldn't waste money on those. The money would be better spent on subs IMO.
Spectah and bbgoat like this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-29-2020, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The 7's will have more presence and a little better dynamics, but you could easily make up the difference and improve your sound with a sub(s). Personally, I don't think it's worth the upgrade, but you'd have to listen to both to see if the difference is worth it to you. For surround duty, I definitely wouldn't waste money on those. The money would be better spent on subs IMO.
Thanks! Unfortunately I have to buy thru' online, no chance for listening and compare.

Yes, going to buy a sub. Either Dali Sub E-9F 9″ Active Subwoofer or Dali Sub E-12F 12″ Active Subwoofer. Will the 12" one present better punch, cost/price difference is not much.

So if get a sub, the Oberon 5 may be sufficient, no need to upgrade to Oberon 7 ?

Yes, probably stay with Oberon 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-29-2020, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 3266
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgoat View Post
Thanks! Unfortunately I have to buy thru' online, no chance for listening and compare.

Yes, going to buy a sub. Either Dali Sub E-9F 9″ Active Subwoofer or Dali Sub E-12F 12″ Active Subwoofer. Will the 12" one present better punch, cost/price difference is not much.

So if get a sub, the Oberon 5 may be sufficient, no need to upgrade to Oberon 7 ?

Yes, probably stay with Oberon 1.
good sub will take over at about 80-100hz which greatly reduces the effectiveness of larger drivers.
Note that subs don't need to match your speakers. There are much better sub options, though that can vary based on geographical location.

Are you in the US? EU? Canada?

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-29-2020, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 75
For what it’s worth, if i bought the 7s over the 5s I would be happy but spending to upgrade from the 5s to 7s is not worth it. In terms of scale and soundstage, I like my Zensor 7s over the Oberon 5s yet clearly the Oberons have a discernible difference in clarity. I can tell that between my two setups, but the scale of my Zensor setup has me not ever wishing my kids had the Zensors and me the Oberons.

Hope this makes sense...distracted with Ozark.

Main 7.1 HT: Dali Zensor (7s, Vokal, and 1s), Emotiva E2s, HSU ULS-15 MK2, Emotiva BasX preamp/amps (MC-700, A-300, A-500)
Kid’s 5.1 HT: Dali Oberon (5s, Vokal), RSL C34Es, HSU VTF-2 MK5, Denon X2400H
7-Zone CCA/Spotify WHA: Paradigm (E-80Rs x6, P-80SM), Def Tech AW6500s, Polk MC-80, Emotiva BasX amps (A-700, A-500), FiiO D3 DACs
post #6 of 13 Old 03-29-2020, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
good sub will take over at about 80-100hz which greatly reduces the effectiveness of larger drivers.
Note that subs don't need to match your speakers. There are much better sub options, though that can vary based on geographical location.

Are you in the US? EU? Canada?
So if get a good sub, Oberon 5 performance is enough, not really need the Oberon 7 for sound stage?

Sub wise may consider SVS PB1000. How is JBL Studio 260P ?

I am in Malaysia.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-29-2020, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectah View Post
For what it’s worth, if i bought the 7s over the 5s I would be happy but spending to upgrade from the 5s to 7s is not worth it. In terms of scale and soundstage, I like my Zensor 7s over the Oberon 5s yet clearly the Oberons have a discernible difference in clarity. I can tell that between my two setups, but the scale of my Zensor setup has me not ever wishing my kids had the Zensors and me the Oberons.

Hope this makes sense...distracted with Ozark.
You mean you had the Oberon 5 and your kids Zensor 7 ?

So in a way Oberon 7 sound stage is still better than Oberon5?

Thanks !
post #8 of 13 Old 03-30-2020, 05:41 PM

My kids basement has the Oberon 5s and they’re noticeably clearer than my Zensors. Not that my Zensors are bad, because they’re note — I love them, but my point is the clarity does not outweigh the scale. The Zensors are clear enough (the Zensor Vokal is fantastic) but the size of my Zensor soundstage is fantastic. I’m never wanting to move the Oberon 5s up to my main and displace my Zensor 7s.

To be fair though, I have better pre/pro and amps in my main, plus wider distance in placement. So could be other factors than just the speaker, but the Zensor 7s are hefty, large soundstage, and sound great.

Main 7.1 HT: Dali Zensor (7s, Vokal, and 1s), Emotiva E2s, HSU ULS-15 MK2, Emotiva BasX preamp/amps (MC-700, A-300, A-500)
7-Zone CCA/Spotify WHA: Paradigm (E-80Rs x6, P-80SM), Def Tech AW6500s, Polk MC-80, Emotiva BasX amps (A-700, A-500), FiiO D3 DACs
post #9 of 13 Old 03-31-2020, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My kids basement has the Oberon 5s and they’re noticeably clearer than my Zensors. Not that my Zensors are bad, because they’re note — I love them, but my point is the clarity does not outweigh the scale. The Zensors are clear enough (the Zensor Vokal is fantastic) but the size of my Zensor soundstage is fantastic. I’m never wanting to move the Oberon 5s up to my main and displace my Zensor 7s.

To be fair though, I have better pre/pro and amps in my main, plus wider distance in placement. So could be other factors than just the speaker, but the Zensor 7s are hefty, large soundstage, and sound great.
Thanks for the info/reply !
post #10 of 13 Old 04-15-2020, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 4
For mostly HT use, how will the 3’s sound compared to the 5’s?.... or the 3’s compares to the 1st?

I have an SVS PB12 NSD sub [might get a second].... a Marantz SR 6013 AVR.... and I’m not really looking to go crazy on amps, maybe just an Outlaw 5x120.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-17-2020, 04:16 PM

Most people seem to indicate that bookshelves with a sub will equal towers in a home theatre setup. My experience from my experience with the towers I have (Zensors and Oberons) I do notice a scale difference with the woofers. I mentioned previously my equipment driving my setups is different so that could account for a component of the difference, but my view is displacement = displacement, and while bigger is not better, if you’re achieving the same tonal clarity than bigger should sound bigger. So focus on the driver size, not the cabinet.

The 3’s include 7” drivers, so should sound hefty than the 5s and 1s. If you’re in the same product range (Oberons) than your clarity in the tweeter should match and I’d go with the 3s. If you can consider 7s, you should gain in scale.

I have not run side by sides, so just giving my view from what I have experienced.

post #12 of 13 Old 04-20-2020, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Most people seem to indicate that bookshelves with a sub will equal towers in a home theatre setup. My experience from my experience with the towers I have (Zensors and Oberons) I do notice a scale difference with the woofers. I mentioned previously my equipment driving my setups is different so that could account for a component of the difference, but my view is displacement = displacement, and while bigger is not better, if you’️re achieving the same tonal clarity than bigger should sound bigger. So focus on the driver size, not the cabinet.

The 3’️s include 7” drivers, so should sound hefty than the 5s and 1s. If you’️re in the same product range (Oberons) than your clarity in the tweeter should match and I’️d go with the 3s. If you can consider 7s, you should gain in scale.

I have not run side by sides, so just giving my view from what I have experienced.
Have you listened to these compared to say Dynaudio Emit 20 or Monitor Audio 100?
post #13 of 13 Old 04-24-2020, 04:33 PM

I have not, but I believe the Dynaudio are more In the class than the Monitor Audio 100s. The latter is typically compared with the Spektor range from Dali. Not that price drive the right comparison but directionally it appears you’d be looking at a spectrum of performance across those three.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page