Which amp with cerwin vega xls12 ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-29-2020, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Which amp with cerwin vega xls12 ?

Hi, I just bought 2 cerwin vega xls 12.

For the moment, I run them with a Denon AVR x1200 but it can't go loud as i want.
So i'm looking for a power amp. I'm hesitating between the Crown XLS 1002 (which i can have for 279 €), the Crown XLS 1502 (for 369 €) or the Crown XLi 1500 (for 299 €).

I would like to know if the xls 1002 could be enough for the cerwin vega?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-29-2020, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
Those Cerwin Vegas are pretty sensitive, around 90-91dB...does anyone know if that is pretty accurate? If so, the Denon at 80 watts per channel, even if if can only give 20 watts all channels driven, should make them pretty loud! This site suggest if you can get 20 watts to the speakers, you are over 100dB, which is NOT good for the hearing. 10 watts would give you 97 db, again, not good for your ears!

https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
post #3 of 8 Old 03-29-2020, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Those Cerwin Vegas are pretty sensitive, around 90-91dB...does anyone know if that is pretty accurate? If so, the Denon at 80 watts per channel, even if if can only give 20 watts all channels driven, should make them pretty loud! This site suggest if you can get 20 watts to the speakers, you are over 100dB, which is NOT good for the hearing. 10 watts would give you 97 db, again, not good for your ears!
Thanks for your reply.

When I said loud, I mean I don't have all the bass that I want. Sure the amp can get them loud but there isn't enough bass. That's why I want a power amp to drive them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-29-2020, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 252
The bottom end drops off rapidly on the XLS12, down 3dB at 43 hz, to down 10dB at 37 hz. More power is not going to give you more low end, it will just make what you've got louder or blow them up. For more low end I would consider keeping the Dennon and adding a couple of subs. With a sensitivity of around 90Db, adding at least two subs should give you the low end you lack and also free up some watts (additional head room) you are now using to feed low end volume to your CVs. BIC America makes the "go to" affordable high power/bang for buck sub that should pair well with your CV's as long as you are not looking for the hardest hitting extreme LFE in a large room.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-29-2020, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxntanight View Post
Thanks for your reply.

When I said loud, I mean I don't have all the bass that I want. Sure the amp can get them loud but there isn't enough bass. That's why I want a power amp to drive them.
You need a subwoofer, not an amp. BK Electronics builds great subs and ships through the EU: https://www.bkelec.com/
post #6 of 8 Old 03-29-2020, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

I bought these speakers for the two 12" because I didn't want to get a sub and when I watched videos about them I thought they were going pretty low. So now when you say that I need one, I'm disappointed with them.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-29-2020, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked: 3268
They trade extension for efficiency. What you want in your sound is additional bass. For that, you need to use the right tool for the job, which is a sub. That said, you can reinforce the bass of your current speakers by moving them closer to room boundaries, at the risk of adding a boomy character to the sound. Experiment with placement to see if you can get a better overall sound. Another thing to consider is the placement of your seating. It's also possible you are sitting in a position that engenders a large null at some important bass frequency. You can test this by moving around the room during play to see if other positions are "better". Turn off Audyssey during this process.

All that said, no matter how you set it up, those speakers will never be able to plumb the depths of bass that a good sub can.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 03-29-2020 at 12:32 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-29-2020, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all these informations!

I just add a PA sub that was in my garage with a pro amp on my Denon pre out and yes, now I can say that I have the bass that I wanted. I don't think my position is bad because I can feel the low frequencies now. I really like my Cerwin but I'm feel a little disappointed with the low frequencies from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
amp and receiver , Cerwin Vega

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page