Front and overhead placement for 5.1.2/5.1.4 Atmos - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-29-2020, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Front and overhead placement for 5.1.2/5.1.4 Atmos

Hi folks!
A few months I posted a question about my upcoming remodeling project and got very useful responses, so I thought I'd try again with a different question! We are (still) in the planning phase our condo remodel, and it looks like the living room are is going to look as follows:

In there is a motorized 92" screen (that partially occludes the doors, which is fine), and a architectural recessed box at the ceiling which allows us to install lights, ceiling speakers and a projector mount. I'd like to have at least a 5.1.2 (though possibly 5.1.4) Atmos setup, and included suggested speaker placements above. I'm a bit worried about the fact that my current placement of the front speakers violates the Dolby recommendation by quite a bit:

My questions are
  • Angle between front speakers and listener: I could probably put the speakers at the edge of the narrow wall and get an acoustically transparent screen (much more expensive), but that way I could get at most a 16 degree angle, which isn't within the Dolby Spec either. Should I push for this, or will the 36-degree angle in the illustration above be OK?
  • 5.1.4 vs 5.1.2: Given that my overhead speaker is right above the listener at best, and not behind (due to the size of the recessed ceiling box) -- is there any value of 5.1.4 vs 5.1.2? The second pair of overhead speakers would have to be between the first pair and the screen.
  • LCR speaker selection: I'm looking for a narrow set of LCR speakers that sound excellent (not just for film, but also music). I've been hoping to get the Klipsch RP-8000F, but they may just be too big. The KEF T301 seem to be a good alternative, although not sure if they are too much of a compromise, especially for classical/jazz music. Are there any others that could provide a decent compromise (and also possibly help with the 36-degree angle?)

(Note: the placement of the left/right surround speakers was a conclusion from a previous thread, but I'm also still open to suggestions there!)

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-03-29 202930.png
Views:	122
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	2703334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-03-29 203103 2.png .png
Views:	117
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	2703336  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-29-2020, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Quoted: 7778 Post(s)
Liked: 6941
More pleasing to have a soundstage that is a bit wider than spec than too narrow (L/R speakers on the narrow wall). If you're willing to place your surrounds in the dining area behind the couch, why not place one pair of height speakers on the ceiling in that same area?

Sanjay
post #3 of 4 Old 03-29-2020, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks sdurani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
If you're willing to place your surrounds in the dining area behind the couch, why not place one pair of height speakers on the ceiling in that same area?
The architectural recessed ceiling box ends above the couch (at least according to the current spec), so I can't really put anything *into* the ceiling in the dining area above the surrounds.

I could easily add another pair of surround satellites *near* the ceiling, but still mounted on the wall -- just right above the surrounds, just a few feet higher. I can't really find that configuration in any of the Atmos specs though, so I'm not sure that I should do that?

If there was a strong acoustic reason to do so (would it make a huge difference?), I could look into whether it is feasible to extend the box all the way to where these surrounds are.

Last edited by dpkay; 03-29-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-29-2020, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Quoted: 7778 Post(s)
Liked: 6941
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkay View Post
I could easily add another pair of surround satellites *near* the ceiling, but still mounted on the wall -- just right above the surrounds, just a few feet higher.
That will work. The main goal is to separate sounds around you from sounds above you. Might want to spread the front height speakers a little wider apart for consistency with the rear height pair (spread doesn't have to be an exact match).

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page