Want to replace old front Polk RM101 speakers + Center - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 56 Old 03-30-2020, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Want to replace old front Polk RM101 speakers + Center

Many ions ago I bought the POLK RM10 pack (4 rm101 speakers and center speaker rm201 and I think its time to replace them with something newer.
I also got the Polk SW10 sub...

I am looking to replace the front speakers plus center on a budget. (no more than $250-$350CAD, yay Canada).
The past few days its becoming more and more difficult for me to decide as the options increase and it fills me with doubts.

I was interested in the Pioneer BS22, the reviews are good and the price is good, but from what ive been reading the Pioneer center is not that good so that throws everything into question and they are now old technology.
Then I looked at other models and brands and it all becomes a blur to me with polks, dcm, miccas, edeir, etc etc.
I would like to get a balance 3 speaker combo for my home theater.
Something that I wonder myself is if really is a big upgrade from the RM's.
So I really need help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 03-30-2020, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9168 Post(s)
Liked: 7031
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerJoe View Post
I was interested in the Pioneer BS22, the reviews are good and the price is good, but from what ive been reading the Pioneer center is not that good so that throws everything into question and they are now old technology.
Then I looked at other models and brands and it all becomes a blur to me with polks, dcm, miccas, edeir, etc etc.
I would like to get a balance 3 speaker combo for my home theater.
Something that I wonder myself is if really is a big upgrade from the RM's.
So I really need help.
This would run circles around the BS22. Just get 3 of them, lay the 3rd on on its side as the center if needed.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B00LJX4HCY/

They are usually $175 USD on the manufacturer's website. 3 of them would cost $100CAD over your budget but well worth it.
Transmaniacon likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 56 Old 03-30-2020, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
This would run circles around the BS22. Just get 3 of them, lay the 3rd on on its side as the center if needed.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B00LJX4HCY/

They are usually $175 USD on the manufacturer's website. 3 of them would cost $100CAD over your budget but well worth it.
A bit more than Im looking to spend and not really liking the idea of the third speaker as center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 Old 03-30-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
A bit more than Im looking to spend and not really liking the idea of the third speaker as center.
It's actually the acoustic ideal.
https://www.audioholics.com/loudspea...nnel-designs-1

If you have a way to raise the TV in order to stand the 3rd speaker vertically (see pics), it actually doesn't look bad and does sound very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center speaker identical bookshelves.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	2703694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bookshelf as center on its side.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	2703696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bookshelf as center and aligned (Ascend170).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	722.8 KB
ID:	2703698  
HammerJoe and Transmaniacon like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 56 Old 03-30-2020, 05:56 PM

Of course, if you're able to get those DCM bookshelves in Canada ($109/pr USD here when they were still available) then that would kill all the other options you listed.

post #6 of 56 Old 03-30-2020, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

The search is real and painful... so hard to make a decision.
post #7 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Don't overthink it...some amount of trial and error is inevitable. And with today's liberal return policies, T&E is actually painless.

btw, if it's going to be just you, or you and one other person, sitting dead center in the "sweet spot" then you could actually skip the center and just get two high quality front speakers like those NHTs. Add the 3rd speaker later on when your finances allow. Safer bet than going cheap now and then getting the upgrade itch 6-12 months later forcing you into the hassle of reselling and more money spent in the long run...a lot of us have gone through that before.
Transmaniacon likes this.

post #8 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 3319
Quote:
The NHT SuperZero is not a bad choice -- and you can turn one sideways to use as a center

Another option and they will have some bass is the Micca RB42 speakers
https://www.amazon.ca/Micca-RB42-Ref...&rps=1&sr=8-19

The Polk S10 will be better than your small Polk satellite speakers
https://www.amazon.ca/Polk-Audio-Sig...&rps=1&sr=8-35

----------------
Who AM I
post #9 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The NHT SuperZero is not a bad choice -- and you can turn one sideways to use as a center

Another option and they will have some bass is the Micca RB42 speakers
https://www.amazon.ca/Micca-RB42-Ref...&rps=1&sr=8-19

The Polk S10 will be better than your small Polk satellite speakers
https://www.amazon.ca/Polk-Audio-Sig...&rps=1&sr=8-35
Im sure they are very nice speakers but its not what I am looking to get.
post #10 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Would this work well in a 16X14 feet room?

Klipsch RM-14
https://www.amazon.ca/Klipsch-R-14M-...379543011&th=1
post #11 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Klipsch RM-14
It can, IF *your* ears like the Klipsch sound signature---people tend to have polarized reactions to it, they either love or hate it ("shrill" and "harsh" and "bright" are the usual complaints).

So as long as you're prepared for the 50/50 possibility of sending it back, why not.

Although with only 4" woofers, I would not expect much in terms of tonal fullness (probably very little bass) or dynamics. To get a significant improvement over your RM101s, you want something with at least 5.25" woofers.

6.5" like on those NHTs would be even better especially if you have a weak sub or no sub.

Physics is physics: small speakers = small sound. No amount of advertising/sales hype or inflated pricetags can change that simple reality.

post #12 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Don't overthink it...some amount of trial and error is inevitable. And with today's liberal return policies, T&E is actually painless.

btw, if it's going to be just you, or you and one other person, sitting dead center in the "sweet spot" then you could actually skip the center and just get two high quality front speakers like those NHTs. Add the 3rd speaker later on when your finances allow. Safer bet than going cheap now and then getting the upgrade itch 6-12 months later forcing you into the hassle of reselling and more money spent in the long run...a lot of us have gone through that before.
+1, this is what I would do. A pair of NHT SuperOne 2.1 is under 300CAD and are easily the best speakers in this thread.

Another option may be the used market, PSB Speakers is based in Canada and I bet you could find some of the Image series in your budget.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Schiit SYS | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #13 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Klipsch RM-14
I would aim for something better -- but it is all about you and what will float your boat -- I would keep NHT on a short list

----------------
Who AM I
post #14 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It can, IF *your* ears like the Klipsch sound signature---people tend to have polarized reactions to it, they either love or hate it ("shrill" and "harsh" and "bright" are the usual complaints).

So as long as you're prepared for the 50/50 possibility of sending it back, why not.

Although with only 4" woofers, I would not expect much in terms of tonal fullness (probably very little bass) or dynamics. To get a significant improvement over your RM101s, you want something with at least 5.25" woofers.

6.5" like on those NHTs would be even better especially if you have a weak sub or no sub.

Physics is physics: small speakers = small sound. No amount of advertising/sales hype or inflated pricetags can change that simple reality.

Are these NHT able to fill a room 16X14?
My hearing is not perfect anymore so I have to up the volume a little bit.

Btw the AVR that I have is the Pioneer VSX-933
post #15 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:

I have owned the SuperOne speakers -- they can handle your room

----------------
Who AM I
post #16 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

These NHT are 9” x 5” x 5.5 while the Polks that I have are 6x3x4.

I thought they were bigger.

Anymore suggestions that include a center speaker? I can up the budget $50 or $100.00.
post #17 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Klipsch claims the R-14M has 90db sensitivity which given the company's habit of lying about their low-end products' specs, means it's probably close to the NHT's 86db sensitivity in the real world---which means they both will achieve about the same volume levels.

If you're sitting the usual 8-12ft away from the screen, that should be fine unless you're trying to shake the paint off the walls, in which case I'd double or triple your budget and get much bigger speakers.

post #18 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Anymore suggestions that include a center speaker? I can up the budget $50 or $100.00.
The NHT are a SEALED cabinet, while the Polks are ported. Sealed cabinets are always more compact. One of the benefits besides space saving is that you can push them straight up against a wall if needed, which would not be a good idea with a rear-ported speaker.

Don't worry about CABINET size, it's the DRIVER size that counts. Your RM10 have tiny little 3.25" woofers and .75" tweeters. The NHT has 6.5" woofers and 1" tweeters...it'd eat those Polks for lunch.

$50-100 will get you a craptastic center. Don't cheap out on the single most important speaker in any HT setup which does 80% of the output. Better to wait until you have the cash for a really good one later on.

post #19 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 03:22 PM

Well, this $150CAD one from BIC has decent voice clarity. It just doesn't go very low, so male voices may sound not very "male"---but it's better than a truly junk center that produces muffled dialogue.
https://www.amazon.ca/America-FH6-LC...dp/B0015A8Y3E/

post #20 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:

That is the specs for the SuperZero ... the SuperOnes are 11.6” x 7.25” x 8.5”
Transmaniacon and Zorba922 like this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #21 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:

If you can up the budget, the PSB P5 would be a great choice, it measures very well and the prices aren’t absurd because it’s a Canadian company.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Schiit SYS | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #22 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is the specs for the SuperZero ... the SuperOnes are 11.6” x 7.25” x 8.5”
My bad, I was looking at their site looking at the super one and didn't realize that went somewhere else.
Thats better dimensions for an upgrade.
post #23 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, Energy Reference RC-10 -- a serious good price
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....rs-pair-black/

----------------
Who AM I
post #24 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 03:40 PM

And here is the Energy Center -- and also a great price
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....enter-speaker/

----------------
Who AM I
post #25 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
And here is the Energy Center -- and also a great price
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....enter-speaker/

Yes, Energy Reference RC-10 -- a serious good price
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....rs-pair-black/
Problem is, he's trying to keep it at $450CAD max for all 3, if I understand his latest price revision correctly.

@HammerJoe
$450CAD will get you either 3 x NHT SuperOnes,

or, if you really hate the idea of using a 3rd NHT as the center:
2 x NHTs + 1 x BIC FH6-LCR

post #26 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Problem is, he's trying to keep it at $450CAD max for all 3, if I understand his latest price revision correctly.

@HammerJoe
$450CAD will get you either 3 x NHT SuperOnes,

or, if you really hate the idea of using a 3rd NHT as the center:
2 x NHTs + 1 x BIC FH6-LCR
Maybe someone will be nice to him ...

Other than that, then 3 each NHT SuperOnes

----------------
Who AM I
post #27 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah be nice.

I will need to read about that BIC center to see if it would combine fine with the NHT.
The size of it would be perfect too because I just checked and the shelf on my stand to the tv is only 7 inches unless I put on the bottom shelf of the stand so size is a factor as well.

Another thing is that BIC seems to be hard to come by.
post #28 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah be nice.
I think @zieglj01 was referring to a seller (or salesperson at Gibby's) who might be open to you haggling down the price.

post #29 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah be nice.

I will need to read about that BIC center to see if it would combine fine with the NHT.
The size of it would be perfect too because I just checked and the shelf on my stand to the tv is only 7 inches unless I put on the bottom shelf of the stand so size is a factor as well.

Another thing is that BIC seems to be hard to come by.
But the DCM Center channel is easy to come by -- the DCM TP160C-CH ... buying from Canada will be around $127
Zorba922 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #30 of 56 Old 03-31-2020, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
But the DCM Center channel is easy to come by -- the DCM TP160C-CH ... buying from Canada will be around $127
So who do I have to be nice around here to get a deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page