Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-31-2020, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bypassing the crossover?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and basically just a newbie when it comes to speakers. I do however want to try something and would like to know if this is the correct approach.

I have a 3 way speaker with just 2 connector terminals. If i remove the 4 screws on the back of the terminal i can see the crossover filter and behind the filter 6 wires. 2 wires go the tweeter and 4 to the woofers. I want to bypass this crossover and tap directly into the speaker wire "after" the crossover. This goes for the woofers and for the tweeter. The woofers will get a direct low feed from the amp, and the tweeter a direct hi feed from the amp. The question is:

Is it ok to keep the crossover connected or do i need to disconnect this entirely, so no signal could go back to the crossover the reversed way?

The connectors on the back of the speakers will not be used anymore. I have attached a picture. Thank you for your time :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200331-WA0000.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2703816  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-31-2020, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabber Question View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and basically just a newbie when it comes to speakers. I do however want to try something and would like to know if this is the correct approach.

I have a 3 way speaker with just 2 connector terminals. If i remove the 4 screws on the back of the terminal i can see the crossover filter and behind the filter 6 wires. 2 wires go the tweeter and 4 to the woofers. I want to bypass this crossover and tap directly into the speaker wire "after" the crossover. This goes for the woofers and for the tweeter. The woofers will get a direct low feed from the amp, and the tweeter a direct hi feed from the amp. The question is:

Is it ok to keep the crossover connected or do i need to disconnect this entirely, so no signal could go back to the crossover the reversed way?

The connectors on the back of the speakers will not be used anymore. I have attached a picture. Thank you for your time :-)
If I wanted to bypass the crossover, I would disconnect the speakers from the crossover.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-31-2020, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The safest thing to do is to disconnect the crossover. Crossovers beyond first order typically have parallel components that can act like shorts at some frequencies. The designers protect your amp by putting a series component that has significant impedance at those frequencies in-line with the parallel component. By attaching your amplifier to the back end of the crossover your amp could be asked to drive a very low impedance.

If you posted a diagram of the crossover circuit, it would be possible to tell whether it is safe or not. Alternatively, you could measure the impedance with a system like DATS. Using a multi-meter would be insufficient to guarantee safe impedance, because impedance changes with frequency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-31-2020, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr_diy View Post
The safest thing to do is to disconnect the crossover. Crossovers beyond first order typically have parallel components that can act like shorts at some frequencies. The designers protect your amp by putting a series component that has significant impedance at those frequencies in-line with the parallel component. By attaching your amplifier to the back end of the crossover your amp could be asked to drive a very low impedance.

If you posted a diagram of the crossover circuit, it would be possible to tell whether it is safe or not. Alternatively, you could measure the impedance with a system like DATS. Using a multi-meter would be insufficient to guarantee safe impedance, because impedance changes with frequency.
Thank you for the reply. This was indeed my concern that it could cause a short or something like that. I will play safe and indeed disconnect them. Actually will make a 6 pin connector in between the wires so i can easily connect and disconnect them at a later stage if i want to go back to the default speaker terminals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page