$5k budget need 5 in-wall speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By blacryan

post #1 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
$5k budget need 5 in-wall speakers

Any recommendations?

I was thinking

Any other better suggestion or ideas?

In a 15x12 room. Will be used for almost everything, kind of the main living room area.

Last edited by blacryan; 04-02-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Can’t see the photo.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Can’t see the photo.
Thanks. Fixed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

$5k budget need 5 in-wall speakers

I’d recommend the Revel W893 at $1000.

It has a 9” woofer, and is designed with the Revel philosophy of neutral on and off axis response so no matter where it is placed and where you sit, it should sound great.

Instead of buying through Crutchfield though, you should buy through a dealer who will give you a discount upwards of 30%. This would put nicer speakers within your budget too, whether you go with Monitor Audio, Revel or something else.

Edit: I realize when you said 5 in wall speakers you meant 3 in wall and 2 in ceiling. The Revel C783 will match with an LCR of W893’s, and are $600 a piece.
bear123 and spyboy like this.

Last edited by Russdawg1; 04-02-2020 at 01:06 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I’d recommend the Revel W893 at $1000.

It has a 9” woofer, and is designed with the Revel philosophy of neutral on and off axis response so no matter where it is placed and where you sit, it should sound great.

Instead of buying through Crutchfield though, you should buy through a dealer who will give you a discount upwards of 30%. This would put nicer speakers within your budget too, whether you go with Monitor Audio, Revel or something else.
So in theory I could just go with 5x Revel W893? I've contacted a local dealer.
bear123 likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacryan View Post
So in theory I could just go with 5x Revel W893? I've contacted a local dealer.

See edit.

post #7 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
See edit.
I see your edit. When I said in wall. I was completely wrong. I was hoping for 5x in ceiling, preferably something that angled. I can do In wall if necessary but when I ran the wires I've done everything from ceiling, I can drop them down the wall but if I can keep everything above, that would be ideal. But the ceiling is still open so if I'm gonna make some changes I want to do it now before my drywaller shows up on saturday lol.

I had initially saw these

possibly doing

3x https://www.crutchfield.com/p_760CLCR/PSB-C-LCR.html (fronts/center)

and

2x https://www.crutchfield.com/p_760CSUR/PSB-C-SUR.html (rear)
post #8 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see your edit. When I said in wall. I was completely wrong. I was hoping for 5x in ceiling, preferably something that angled. I can do In wall if necessary but when I ran the wires I've done everything from ceiling, I can drop them down the wall but if I can keep everything above, that would be ideal. But the ceiling is still open so if I'm gonna make some changes I want to do it now before my drywaller shows up on saturday lol.

Oh okay no worries. In that case this is an easy job. 5x Revel C763L’s. They are $750 a piece and are angled which provides much better sound at the MLP and are phenomenal. My friends recently installed a 5.1 system with them and they make for a fantastic system. I would replace my 5.1 tower/bookshelf system with them if I could. Definitely make sure to get weighty discount on these. Don’t pay near retail on them.

post #9 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked: 3268
Triad speakers have a 45 degree angle built-in, as does Def Tech, Sonos, and Phase Tech. Golden Ear and Paradigm have 30 degree angles. Depending on your ceiling height and seating distance, you may need a specific angle for coverage. Is your TV going to be near the ceiling?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 04-02-2020 at 03:39 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh okay no worries. In that case this is an easy job. 5x Revel C763L’s. They are $750 a piece and are angled which provides much better sound at the MLP and are phenomenal. My friends recently installed a 5.1 system with them and they make for a fantastic system. I would replace my 5.1 tower/bookshelf system with them if I could. Definitely make sure to get weighty discount on these. Don’t pay near retail on them.
Really appreciate the help/advice. I am looking into finding the C763L's for below retail.

Thank you!

Any suggestion on a sub? My control4 dealer is trying to get me to use a https://www.snapav.com/shop/en/snapa...dual-8-woofers
post #11 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Quote:
Oh okay no worries. In that case this is an easy job. 5x Revel C763L’️s. They are $750 a piece and are angled which provides much better sound at the MLP and are phenomenal. My friends recently installed a 5.1 system with them and they make for a fantastic system. I would replace my 5.1 tower/bookshelf system with them if I could. Definitely make sure to get weighty discount on these. Don’️t pay near retail on them.
Really appreciate the help/advice. I am looking into finding the C763L's for below retail.

Thank you!

Any suggestion on a sub? My control4 dealer is trying to get me to use a https://www.snapav.com/shop/en/snapa...dual-8-woofers
Some Notes For You...

I do custom AV work all over the country for a living. Your dealer is recommending Episode because Episode has some of the highest profit margin for dealers in the industry as well as excellent rebate programs for dealers. It's an ultra self serving, lazy recommendation on their part.

Generally speaking, the Revel architectural line is outstanding with few quality competitors at their price points. Annually, I do more of that product than any other by a large margin followed by Klipsch, Phase Technology, & James Loudspeaker. The Revel in ceiling & in walls mentioned are available for under msrp if a dealer is willing to help you out.

That being said, it's tough to blindly recommend things without actually knowing the look, scope of the system, details on your goals, etc.

On the in-wall sub, Episode stole that exact design from Totem. It is OK. Revel's is better. However, for a super reasonable price a brand called Elura has the same specs as the Revel in wall sub starting at a 30% lower MSRP before any discount.

Link: http://elura.audio/red-label-in-wall-subwoofers.php

For dual 8" in wall subs you will want to do 2 of any in wall subwoofer. 2 Elura Red Label in wall subs & 1 Elura Amp will work. RUSSDAWG has heard a dual in-wall Elura sub system and can maybe share his thoughts?

Last edited by PrestigeAudio; 04-02-2020 at 04:13 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3469 Post(s)
Liked: 5299
Ugg don't do all in ceiling. At least put the LCR in wall.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Ugg don't do all in ceiling. At least put the LCR in wall.
In-ceiling LCR can work really well... even better than traditional LCR, depending on the installation needs.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3469 Post(s)
Liked: 5299
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeAudio View Post
In-ceiling LCR can work really well... even better than traditional LCR, depending on the installation needs.
Can't strongly disagree with you as I've never had my LCR in the ceiling, but its still hard for me to imagine all the sound coming from the ceiling rather than in front of me.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Can't strongly disagree with you as I've never had my LCR in the ceiling, but its still hard for me to imagine all the sound coming from the ceiling rather than in front of me.
I totally get why it's tough to picture. I just see a ton of different homes a year and work with all sorts of layouts. I can explain....

Where it's perfect is when the TV is above a fireplace, the ceiling is flat and not particularly tall. Think: 8', 9', or 10' feet (10' is pushing it unless the TV is up above a taller mantle position). This can work really really well and better than LCR's in the wall. Why? 2 reasons....

- 1st being that your eyes are looking up, so to hear the sound coming from closer to the screen your brain interprets the sound being closer to on plane with the image and it isn't weird or confusing. This is where a quality LCR in-ceiling speaker with outstanding imaging, positions, & and off axis performance matters. Believe it or not, with an 8' ceiling and really large TV this also works if you are sitting a normal distance away. As you get closer to the TV or the ceiling gets taller and taller then, YES, the speakers will be able to be localized above.

- 2nd reason is that in-wall LCR up above a fireplace will not have as good as off axis performance: No different than going way above or way below a speaker and getting different quality than on axis. Furthermore, AMT & Ribbon drivers would be horrendous in this type of installation due to their poor vertical axis performance (generally speaking).

- Bonus 3rd benefit of in-ceiling LCR in an above fireplace install: Spacing. You can really spread stuff out and, if using a larger speaker in the ceiling, get a much larger sounding system.

Anyway, there are other ways to conquer different types of spaces for "best" performance given installation parameters. It all just depends. I can think of 2 other speaker types that solve problems above fireplaces that in-ceiling LCRs do not. It just depends on the use/goals & budget!

BTW, there is NO conquering WAF. Happy wife = happy life they always say. if the OP needs this type of install then that's what he needs. Sony has some nicer receivers that actually EQ the sound from in-ceiling LCRs DOWN from the ceiling some. It works well! Down side in in-ceiling LCR is that you really cannot do ATMOS with it. There's no 3rd dimension since the front is up high as well.

Hope this helps some!
post #16 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
On a side note, I tried replying to your PM, but I do not have the required post to respond. To answer your question, yes I would like that. That would be great. Thank you.

I think what is looking good for me now would be 5 of the Revel in ceiling, and 2 Elura subs and find a solid amp for them, I'll have to check what the amp is I have that I took from my Control4 installation at my old house.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

On a side note, I forgot to add...

If anybody has any suggestions for basic/decent in-ceiling speakers for whole home audio. I have like 6 in ceiling speakers I have ran throughout the hallways or house in various spaces. They don't need to be anything special. I do need 4 outdoor/in-ceiling speakers as well. They are going into a covered deck. But they will be outside if that changes things.
post #18 of 18 Old 04-02-2020, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On a side note, I tried replying to your PM, but I do not have the required post to respond. To answer your question, yes I would like that. That would be great. Thank you.

I think what is looking good for me now would be 5 of the Revel in ceiling, and 2 Elura subs and find a solid amp for them, I'll have to check what the amp is I have that I took from my Control4 installation at my old house.

No worries.

Revel also makes outdoor speakers, they are part of the Extreme Climate series. My friends who installed C763L’s I believe also got some those for their outdoor patio.

My neighbors across the street from me have a secondary house way up in the hills, they went with 12 C783’s for distributed audio. They also love them. These aren’t angled like the C763L’s so they are more suited for the job. The 8” woofer ensures they play efficient and loud enough when they have to be 10+ ft away in the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page