• 1 Post By JonfromCB
  • 3 Post By craig john

post #1 of 17 Old 04-04-2020, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help Please

First Post. I know this is somewhat subjective, but I would really appreciate any and all advice. I don’t have a ton of knowledge when it comes to speakers. I’m building a home with a dedicated home theater. Room is about 24x24 with 10’ ceilings and two rows of 8 seats. As of right now I’m considering a JVC DLA-NX7 and a Denon X8500H. I would like to do a 9.2.4 system and I’m considering two mono price monolith duo 15’s for the subs. I figured I would get an external amp for the front three and do them behind an acoustically transparent screen. Besides that I have no idea what direction to go with the speakers. I have looked at going with all SVS or all Definitive technology but really don’t know enough what I’m looking for or what other brands to look at. The room would be 95% for watching movies. Again any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-04-2020, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9055 Post(s)
Liked: 6967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccarpent1 View Post
First Post. I know this is somewhat subjective, but I would really appreciate any and all advice. I don’t have a ton of knowledge when it comes to speakers. I’m building a home with a dedicated home theater. Room is about 24x24 with 10’ ceilings and two rows of 8 seats. As of right now I’m considering a JVC DLA-NX7 and a Denon X8500H. I would like to do a 9.2.4 system and I’m considering two mono price monolith duo 15’s for the subs. I figured I would get an external amp for the front three and do them behind an acoustically transparent screen. Besides that I have no idea what direction to go with the speakers. I have looked at going with all SVS or all Definitive technology but really don’t know enough what I’m looking for or what other brands to look at. The room would be 95% for watching movies. Again any help would be much appreciated.
95% movie watching means you don't need to spend a huge amount on the speakers.

Best bang for your buck 15" subs would be Hsu VTF-3 or VTF-15H.

I'd run like hell away from Def Tech (catchy name, pretty cabinets, inflated prices, mediocre performance) and to a lesser extent, SVS (greatly overpriced compared to other internet direct companies, but they do offer world-class service and free return shipping).

A good bet would be the Klipsch RP-8000F for around $520 each (Amazon price, which Best Buy will pricematch). They are high sensitivity so no external amp is needed. Order online with pricematching, this will save you the ordeal of dealing with BB's pathologically incompetent/sleazy salespeople. And you still get at least 15 days return period just in case.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 17 Old 04-04-2020, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Bang for your buck, you can't beat the performance of these very affordable line of speakers.

If you like a little brighter sound, their horn tweeter line is very good also

Street prices are about half of MSRP

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
badtlc likes this.

Last edited by moodysj; 04-04-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-04-2020, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2832 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
(snip)

A good bet would be the Klipsch RP-8000F for around $520 each (Amazon price, which Best Buy will pricematch). They are high sensitivity so no external amp is needed. Order online with pricematching, this will save you the ordeal of dealing with BB's pathologically incompetent/sleazy salespeople. And you still get at least 15 days return period just in case.
I'm not sure if it's nationwide, but locally BB is only open for curbside pickup. No customers are allowed in-store.

I think they'll try to accomodate drive-ups (is that the correct equivalent of a walk-in?), but I wouldn't try that. Buy online, for pickup at the store.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-04-2020, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2895 Post(s)
Liked: 2782
What's the budget? IMO a pair a rythmik fv25s or PSA 3612s would be a better choice for subs. Or even a pair of jtr 2400s.

For speakers budget is going to be the determining factor.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-04-2020, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3468 Post(s)
Liked: 3280
OSD Black series was recently reviewed by our own Jim Wilson. Plenty of output, with no strain on the speaker, or your ears.

https://www.osdaudio.com/products/bl...k-on-wall.html

Put them on the wall, behind an acoustically transparent screen.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...es-review.html

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 04-04-2020 at 08:08 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-05-2020, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

I’d like to be somewhat close to the $10K range. If I were to go with something like the suggested Klipsch Towers am I better off to go with a matching tower for my center or an actual center channel speaker?
post #8 of 17 Old 04-05-2020, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 942
If DIY is an option, look into DIYSoundGroup: https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-t...aker-kits.html

The Titan, '99, HT or HTM lines. Well within your budget (is that 10k just for speakers?).

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #9 of 17 Old 04-05-2020, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, around 10 just on speakers.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-05-2020, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
I'd recommend you talk to the folks in the "Dedicated theater design and construction" thread in the Home Entertainment & Theater Builder forum on this site for starters. They can help you develop a understanding of your needs and "wants". That's a big room to fill with a decent sounding 9 channel system for $10K. It can be done but not with most of what has been recommended so far except the DIYSG speakers or you could spend a lot more and look at stuff like PSA and Seaton. In a room over 5700 cubic feet with two rows of 8 seats primarily used for HT your speaker selection considerations need to be a system that sounds decent but more importantly disperses sound adequately from each speaker to most of the two rows of eight wide seats and that is going to take some well thought out knowledge of speakers, placement, and ht design....don't fear, there is plenty of help to be had on this forum. To at least specifically answer one of your questions, yes your best bet for adequate center channel coverage to two rows of eight seats is going to be something other than a horizontal center channel. Getting good center speaker sound to those two rows of 8 seats should be your first and foremost speaker consideration....you'll probably want/need a fairly tall horn driven center to get that job done. If you are a DIY guy, take smcmillan2's advice in the last post and look into DIYSG offerings that are specifically designed to do exactly what you are trying to do... they make it able to bring real big theater sound with audiophile quality to builds like yours at a fraction of what it would cost you to get commercially available systems that could do the job nearly as well. I'll finish by saying you are building a substantially large dedicated HT and not trying to put a decent surround sound system in a typical living space in your home. Your best bet is to get speakers with the size, efficiency, and dispersion that are designed to get that job done. Good Luck
craig john and RayGuy like this.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-05-2020, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the more I read in here, the more I feel like I’m in way over my head. I have done this once before in my last home and spent a good amount of money for only ‘decent’ results. This is my last home, and I want to do it right, just not sure where to start. I have considered hiring a local company, but I live in a very rural area, and I’m afraid they won’t know much more than me.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-05-2020, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Yeah, the more I read in here, the more I feel like I’m in way over my head. I have done this once before in my last home and spent a good amount of money for only ‘decent’ results. This is my last home, and I want to do it right, just not sure where to start. I have considered hiring a local company, but I live in a very rural area, and I’m afraid they won’t know much more than me.
I agree that having done this before you may well already know more than many local installers. Even if they are knowledgeable, most make their "real money" from design, selling you their proprietary equipment and labor. I'll reemphasize using the design thread on this forum...heck, just repost this OP and see what you get. You could also ask the regulars on the "DIY Speakers and Subs" forum for someone near you that might be willing to commission a build for you or even contact some cabinet builders near you about it. Three of these across the front :
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-t...aker-kits.html and 6 of these high efficiency wide dispersion "Volts" in slanted boxes for surrounds would be a formadable system easily driven to high SPL with any decent AVR...being able to drive a big system like yours with an AVR is also a big money saver. https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-t...led-combo.html
If you can't/don't want to build them yourself it sure would be worth a couple of grand to find a builder to do it for you.
craig john likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-05-2020, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I had looked at the DIY thing multiple times, but couldn’t find much info on what all the assembly involved and the majority of the products seemed to be out of stock. I’ll look at them again.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-05-2020, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 1915
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...-construction/

I totally agree with JonfromCB. On this forum, all you'll get is advice on how to pinch the very last penny, which, in a higher-end HT, is not where you want to focus at this point. You're a long way away from speakers. In fact, you shouldn't even be thinking about speakers yet.

You should be designing the room, starting with wall construction. Decide if sound isolation is important to you, and then decide if you want to go to the lengths needed to soundproof the room. Once that's decided that, work on screen placement as well as placements of the front and rear rows, riser height, and projector mounting height, which will depend on screen size, screen material and projector placement. To figure those things out, you need to decide on projector resolution and brightness.... etc.etc. etc. Once you have all that done, you can start to think about speakers. At that point, you'll need to decide about speaker type, (towers, satellites or LCR's), speaker placements, installations, (in-wall, on-wall, in-room, baffle wall, etc.) (Actually, if you want to use a baffle wall, that should be decided early on also so it can be designed into the wall construction phase.)

A dedicated Home Theater should be designed as a *SYSTEM*, with all the pieces interrelated to the others. Speakers can wait. Figure out the room first. And don't forget about acoustic treatments.

The guys in the dedicated theater forum have the expertise you need to help you with ALL this stuff. It can be a very fun project, but you need more and different advice than anything you'll get here.

Good luck and have fun.

Craig
JonfromCB, sigpig and RayGuy like this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System (Edited Feb. 2020 to add 4K and Atmos updates)

Last edited by craig john; 04-05-2020 at 12:46 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-05-2020, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10053 Post(s)
Liked: 7059
Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate the help. I had looked at the DIY thing multiple times, but couldn’t find much info on what all the assembly involved and the majority of the products seemed to be out of stock. I’ll look at them again.
JBL Pro seems to be a common AVS choice for those who have the space and money for a full on system like you do.

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 17 Old 04-05-2020, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9055 Post(s)
Liked: 6967
Quote:
If you have the tools and skills to go DIY (sure wish I did!), that's probably the way to go, possibly including from a price-to-performance standpoint.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #17 of 17 Old 04-05-2020, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
There have been many people that have theatres based on a JBL 4722 LCR combination. I believe there is a much better compression driver that can be added to them too. IIRC, the street price on the speakers is in the sub-$1500 range each. There are very capable JBL surrounds (like the 8340 or similar) that would match well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page