Small room & budget setup help + ceiling LCR options - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-04-2020, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Small room & budget setup help + ceiling LCR options

First timer here but read the forums here and there over the years. Only real experience with home theaters is a pair of Klipsch RF3 & RF35 systems which won't work in this space.

Working with a fairly small living room that is open to the kitchen in the back.

Room info: (picture attached)
11' Deep
14' wide
8' ceilings
65" F8500 above mantel
9.5' screen to eyes
5.5' ceiling to ears

5.1 setup thoughts:
Pair of bookshelfs on built-ins approx. 36" off the floor and facing main couch
LCR in previous light hole - this speaker would be 19" out from TV & 20" above center of the screen
Pair of ceiling mounted rear surrounds above main couch
sub unknown at the time - would sit under right built in
AVR unknown at this time

Expectations:
This is not our main home theater room however it has my favorite tv in it and acts as a play room so i will be spending more and more time in it. Right now the factory tv speakers just make it not a room i enjoy watching anything in. I would like a decent HTS that does the old plasma justice but doesn't break the bank.

Questions/recommendation request:
1. I feel like the speaker concept i have in my mind is decent besides having no idea if the LCR is doable with the spot i have and if so would it break the bank for this system.
2. Looking for opinions on setups.
My budget thoughts:
Bookshelfs - $200-$300/pair as they need to look decent to keep the other half happy
LCR - its important sub $300? is one enough?
Rears - cheap as long as they sound decent
Sub - another budget
AVR - Are there any space saving options; i have a couple old prehdmi receivers and i'm only running apple tv so i'm not sure if i can use them here and mount them more remotely. Other options for a discrete unit.
3. Am i totally missing something options that is a better choice? 2.1? (not doing the soundbar thing)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-04-2020, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Room picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2518.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	584.5 KB
ID:	2705782  
post #3 of 6 Old 04-04-2020, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
RSL makes some cheap in ceiling speakers that can work as long as you have a sub supplementing the bottom end, they don’t reach deep on their own.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-04-2020, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 520
At $279 a pair the Canton Chrono 502 is a killer deal and very nice sounding.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html

Or a pair of Boston Acoustic A26's would fit your budget too and sound nice.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-each/1.html

Take a look at the RSL speedwoofer at $399. Nice one for the price.
https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s/
post #5 of 6 Old 04-04-2020, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8976 Post(s)
Liked: 6933
Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezkid View Post
Questions/recommendation request:
1. I feel like the speaker concept i have in my mind is decent besides having no idea if the LCR is doable with the spot i have and if so would it break the bank for this system.
2. Looking for opinions on setups.
My budget thoughts:
Bookshelfs - $200-$300/pair as they need to look decent to keep the other half happy
LCR - its important sub $300? is one enough?
Rears - cheap as long as they sound decent
Sub - another budget
AVR - Are there any space saving options; i have a couple old prehdmi receivers and i'm only running apple tv so i'm not sure if i can use them here and mount them more remotely. Other options for a discrete unit.
3. Am i totally missing something options that is a better choice? 2.1? (not doing the soundbar thing)
I'd start with a pair of bookshelf speakers and a good sub due to all the open space (you have to include all CONTIGUOUS space not just the actual listening area when assessing your sub needs). AVR --- if you can connect your video sources directly to the TV, I would just stick with one of your pre-HDMI ones since the money would be better spent on the sub/speakers.

Front Speakers, $208:
NHT SuperOnes, from Amazon. These are compact, non-ported (great for putting inside a cabinet/cubbyhole), and have an elegant matte finish your wife will appreciate. Start with 2, see how you like not having a center. Some people are fine without one, some aren't...only one way to find out for yourself.

Sub, $500:
https://www.amazon.com/Monolith-Inch...dp/B075QV22BB/

(Do these last if the above 2 are already pushing your budget.)
Surrounds, $140:
NHT SuperZeros, also from Amazon. Smaller brother of the above. Light, easy to ceiling mount with something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-10-...dp/B0015YU0FA/

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 6 Old 04-04-2020, 11:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked: 3268
RSL CG3 x 2 + CG23, will look nice with the TV, fit in the space (may have to raise the TV an inch or two), and give you good performance. Their size (only 6" deep and wall-mountable) will help them look at home with the TV. If you can bump your budget a touch, 3 X CG23 would be a good investment and allow you to use a lower crossover point.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 04-04-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page