What 5.0 HT would you buy for $1500.00? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 2 Post By John"A"
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 2 Post By pase22

post #1 of 29 Old 04-04-2020, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
What 5.0 HT would you buy for $1500.00?

Hi all! Long time lurker/learner. So I'm building a new home and I'd like a decent HT setup in our living room primarily for movies and occasionally gaming. The room itself is 18x18 with a 18x13 dining room/ foyer to the left and a 15x18 kitchen directly behind the living room. I'll be having the room wired for the system as well. I have a pair of subwoofers in mind(HSU VTF3 MK5's) and I currently own a Denon s920w receiver. I've read so many reviews and opinions but I'm still unsure if my speaker ideas will truly be the best for the money. So if you guys had $1500 tops to spend on a 5.0 or 5.2 system, I'd really like height speakers, that will pair well with my subwoofer plans to make a "nice" 5.2.2 setup; what would it be?? I'm definitely not opposed to refurbished speakers. I've combed through accessories4less trying to get ideas as well. Any and all advice will be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-04-2020, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by John"A" View Post
Hi all! Long time lurker/learner. So I'm building a new home and I'd like a decent HT setup in our living room primarily for movies and occasionally gaming. The room itself is 18x18 with a 18x13 dining room/ foyer to the left and a 15x18 kitchen directly behind the living room. I'll be having the room wired for the system as well. I have a pair of subwoofers in mind(HSU VTF3 MK5's) and I currently own a Denon s920w receiver. I've read so many reviews and opinions but I'm still unsure if my speaker ideas will truly be the best for the money. So if you guys had $1500 tops to spend on a 5.0 or 5.2 system, I'd really like height speakers, that will pair well with my subwoofer plans to make a "nice" 5.2.2 setup; what would it be?? I'm definitely not opposed to refurbished speakers. I've combed through accessories4less trying to get ideas as well. Any and all advice will be appreciated!
For $1500 (if that's not including the sub budget), either the Chane Big system (A5.5s + A2.4 + A1.5s) or even the HSU 5.0 speaker package (HB-1 MK2 x 4 + HC-1 MK2).

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 Front L/R | KEF Q650c Centre | KEF Q150 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
post #3 of 29 Old 04-04-2020, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9166 Post(s)
Liked: 7031
Quote:
The aforementioned Chane system is a solid option.

I would also consider Emotiva:

T1+ towers, $700/pr
C2+ center, $400 (or if you don't have the space, the smaller C1+ for $250)

Rear surrounds:
NHT SuperOnes, $208/pr (Amazon)

Height speakers:
NHT SuperZeros, $136/pr (Amazon)

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 04-04-2020, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Chanes FTW
post #5 of 29 Old 04-04-2020, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked: 2550
I started out with klipsch. they have great bass for tv/movies. if not running a sub, get something with great bass.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #6 of 29 Old 04-05-2020, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
For $1500 (if that's not including the sub budget), either the Chane Big system (A5.5s + A2.4 + A1.5s) or even the HSU 5.0 speaker package (HB-1 MK2 x 4 + HC-1 MK2).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The aforementioned Chane system is a solid option.

I would also consider Emotiva:

T1+ towers, $700/pr
C2+ center, $400 (or if you don't have the space, the smaller C1+ for $250)

Rear surrounds:
NHT SuperOnes, $208/pr (Amazon)

Height speakers:
NHT SuperZeros, $136/pr (Amazon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I started out with klipsch. they have great bass for tv/movies. if not running a sub, get something with great bass.
Ok great! That'll give me lots to chew on! I was just looking at the quick specs on the chanes and the 2.4's are really chunky, that's an amazing size for such a great price! I haven't totally decided on towers or bookshelfs however I figured if I had the HSU sub pair I definitely wouldn't have to worry about using towers to compensate for bass. It looks like the chane 2.4 can be used for bookshelfs so that would be a sweet option. I'm not sure how one would fit on the mantle tho lol. I had our mantle cut to a proud 9"x9" so I can sand it down but still even 8.75" would struggle to fit that speaker lol.
Before we even started looking at floor plans I was really leaning towards klipsch it's just been so long since I've heard some and I'd love to go to Best Buy and see if they have any RP's but coronaville has a put a damper on my speaker exploits. My goal is to have a nice living room setup for the long term and when we do the bonus room as a theater room then we'll definitely expand the budget.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-05-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Ok great! That'll give me lots to chew on! I was just looking at the quick specs on the chanes and the 2.4's are really chunky, that's an amazing size for such a great price! I haven't totally decided on towers or bookshelfs however I figured if I had the HSU sub pair I definitely wouldn't have to worry about using towers to compensate for bass. It looks like the chane 2.4 can be used for bookshelfs so that would be a sweet option. I'm not sure how one would fit on the mantle tho lol.

I had our mantle cut to a proud 9"x9" so I can sand it down but still even 8.75" would struggle to fit that speaker lol.
Before we even started looking at floor plans I was really leaning towards klipsch it's just been so long since I've heard some and I'd love to go to Best Buy and see if they have any RP's but coronaville has a put a damper on my speaker exploits. My goal is to have a nice living room setup for the long term and when we do the bonus room as a theater room then we'll definitely expand the budget.
With that 9" depth restriction on your mantle, the Emotiva C1 would be the perfect fit---it's just 8.25" deep and is a sealed cabinet (no rear ports unlike the Chane and Klipsch speakers).
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud.../airmotiv-c1-2

However, you'd be fine doing the Chanes (A2.4 or A5.5) for L/R speakers if you don't like the looks of the Emotiva towers because the C1 is plenty neutral enough not to call attention to itself.

All towers benefit from having subs, though---especially for HT. The Emotiva T Zero in particular is remarkable given its shockingly modest pricetag ($400/pr) which makes it cost about the same as a typical $300/pr of bookshelves plus stands (another $100/pr).

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #8 of 29 Old 04-05-2020, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Ohh I didn't even think about the rear porting on the center speaker! I was looking at the C1 specs and it's 4ohm. Would that be an issue for my Denon 920? I know it's rated for 6 and 8. However would running one speaker at 4 ohm and the rest at 8 cause any distortion or clipping issues? I guess another question would be could I choose speakers that were nearly all 6 ohm and be fine with that Denon? The reason I ask is I was looking at the Elac Debut 2.0 series awhile ago and they're nearly all 6 ohm. The uni-fi series is all 4 ohm so I quickly marked them off the list.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-05-2020, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ohh I didn't even think about the rear porting on the center speaker! I was looking at the C1 specs and it's 4ohm. Would that be an issue for my Denon 920? I know it's rated for 6 and 8. However would running one speaker at 4 ohm and the rest at 8 cause any distortion or clipping issues? I guess another question would be could I choose speakers that were nearly all 6 ohm and be fine with that Denon? The reason I ask is I was looking at the Elac Debut 2.0 series awhile ago and they're nearly all 6 ohm. The uni-fi series is all 4 ohm so I quickly marked them off the list.
Actually I may have found the answer to my question. Basically if I don't push the volume too hard I should be fine however trying to exclusively run 4 ohm speakers from that receiver isn't a great idea. Sometimes I think I should just get a more capable receiver. This whole AV stuff is a slippery slope lol.
powerlifter405 and djp2k7 like this.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-05-2020, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Actually I may have found the answer to my question. Basically if I don't push the volume too hard I should be fine however trying to exclusively run 4 ohm speakers from that receiver isn't a great idea. Sometimes I think I should just get a more capable receiver. This whole AV stuff is a slippery slope lol.
Like it was mentioned the Chanes will do great. IMHO, A5 LR, 2.4 centers and rears (if you can afford). I ran the A1 as a center on a small 10" deep shelf. I ran it crossed at 80 or 110, can't recall, and my 5ch system was great. I love having the subs now but for something inexpensive and quality. I'll be getting JTR's down the road but I'd do the Chanes again if I wanted something simple and inexpensive.

AVR = Sherbourn SR-120
Speakers = 2 Arx/Chane towers(5.1), dual Arx bookshelves(1.1) as center duty +LR/RR
Subs = Dual JTR 2400's
post #11 of 29 Old 04-05-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
FWIW, when I had the C1 I powered it with a 12 year old, $229 Panasonic receiver that was rated only down to 6 ohms. And guess what? It never even got warm pushing the C1.

Of course, I listen at around 70-75db tops, not the ear-shattering 85db plus that is "reference level"---if you're not sure about your volume needs, download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone and check.

One of the best things about the Emotivas is that they provide tons of satisfying detail at low/moderate levels, so I seldom felt the need to really crank them anyhow.
powerlifter405 likes this.

post #12 of 29 Old 04-06-2020, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
FWIW, when I had the C1 I powered it with a 12 year old, $229 Panasonic receiver that was rated only down to 6 ohms. And guess what? It never even got warm pushing the C1.

Of course, I listen at around 70-75db tops, not the ear-shattering 85db plus that is "reference level"---if you're not sure about your volume needs, download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone and check.

One of the best things about the Emotivas is that they provide tons of satisfying detail at low/moderate levels, so I seldom felt the need to really crank them anyhow.
Hmm that's an interesting statement about listening around 75db. We don't like the volume super high. So how can I know how well a speaker performs playing below it's rated decibel level? I'm not sure how to search for that info. Does every company have a graph or something showing that X speaker has great or poor detail at X decibels. This is great, I'm learning stuff!
post #13 of 29 Old 04-06-2020, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

I second the Emovita idea.

I had a newer Denon and Sony and neither one of them could keep up to my listening levels. I had clipping issues and even had to send two of my tweeters back to Jon for replacement. He suggested the SR120 during the merger and I'm glad I took the bait. At any sound level things sound great now and things sound just fine when I have them cranked up. A good power supply is essential IMHO.

AVR = Sherbourn SR-120
Speakers = 2 Arx/Chane towers(5.1), dual Arx bookshelves(1.1) as center duty +LR/RR
Subs = Dual JTR 2400's
post #14 of 29 Old 04-06-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Hmm that's an interesting statement about listening around 75db. We don't like the volume super high. So how can I know how well a speaker performs playing below it's rated decibel level? I'm not sure how to search for that info. Does every company have a graph or something showing that X speaker has great or poor detail at X decibels. This is great, I'm learning stuff!
Any decent speaker will be to play 70-75db without strain, as long as it's being fed adequate power, which most decent receivers have no trouble providing.

By "decent" I mean speakers costing at least $200/pr and up, and receivers costing at least $300 and up. So, it's a very wide net.

Speakers have power ratings which are often just made up, and some receiver manufacturers have also been known to fudge their specs. This is yet another reason why hearing speakers in YOUR home (with its critically important unique room acoustic conditions) on YOUR electronics, is so essential. Specs are often unreliable, and online reviews are often unreliable as well. A certain amount of trial and error is inevitable, in other words. But you CAN use resources like enthusiast forums to at least narrow your range of options, or to avoid the obvious stinkers and scams.

Regarding charts and measurements, here's one company that provides exceptionally detailed ones:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...bm170meas.html

You can also google up lab measuring from Stereophile, or Sound and Vision magazine, on various speakers.

post #15 of 29 Old 04-06-2020, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifter405 View Post
I second the Emovita idea.

I had a newer Denon and Sony and neither one of them could keep up to my listening levels. I had clipping issues and even had to send two of my tweeters back to Jon for replacement. He suggested the SR120 during the merger and I'm glad I took the bait. At any sound level things sound great now and things sound just fine when I have them cranked up. A good power supply is essential IMHO.
Yeaaa that's my loose plan for the moment. If my denon gives up the ghost then I haven't lost anything on it since I paid around $180 for it at Best Buy during their march madness event 3 years ago. I think it was around $500ish normally. Surely I could find a replacement at accessories4less haha.

Quote:
Any decent speaker will be to play 70-75db without strain, as long as it's being fed adequate power, which most decent receivers have no trouble providing.

By "decent" I mean speakers costing at least $200/pr and up, and receivers costing at least $300 and up. So, it's a very wide net.

Speakers have power ratings which are often just made up, and some receiver manufacturers have also been known to fudge their specs. This is yet another reason why hearing speakers in YOUR home (with its critically important unique room acoustic conditions) on YOUR electronics, is so essential. Specs are often unreliable, and online reviews are often unreliable as well. A certain amount of trial and error is inevitable, in other words. But you CAN use resources like enthusiast forums to at least narrow your range of options, or to avoid the obvious stinkers and scams.

Regarding charts and measurements, here's one company that provides exceptionally detailed ones:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...bm170meas.html

You can also google up lab measuring from Stereophile, or Sound and Vision magazine, on various speakers.
So I've been looking thru them a little bit and I've still got a lot to learn but I'm enjoying the process and I'm not letting myself get caught up too much in the numbers. I was reading a good thread that mpk1970 did with several speakers including the 2.4 and c1 and c2. It got me thinking! Could I use the 2.4 as L/R and the c2 for the center?? Ive got a little Tim the Toolman Taylor tendencies so if there's a chance to have a hot rod I'll try it! It looks like the frequencies are good together and I believe others have paired chane and emotiva together with good results. I'm likely missing something tho and will be turned into a virtual whipping post lol. I'm thinking if they were compatible I could figure out a way to cleanly mount the c2 on the mantle. Since the c2 is rear ported that's likely an issue.
post #16 of 29 Old 04-06-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
So I've been looking thru them a little bit and I've still got a lot to learn but I'm enjoying the process and I'm not letting myself get caught up too much in the numbers. I was reading a good thread that mpk1970 did with several speakers including the 2.4 and c1 and c2. It got me thinking! Could I use the 2.4 as L/R and the c2 for the center?? Ive got a little Tim the Toolman Taylor tendencies so if there's a chance to have a hot rod I'll try it! It looks like the frequencies are good together and I believe others have paired chane and emotiva together with good results. I'm likely missing something tho and will be turned into a virtual whipping post lol. I'm thinking if they were compatible I could figure out a way to cleanly mount the c2 on the mantle. Since the c2 is rear ported that's likely an issue.
No, no problem mixing different brand centers with L/R speakers at all. As long as you're not so silly as to upmix native 2 channel music into multi-channel, in which case yes you would want 3 "matched" speakers, preferably identical. Otherwise, for HT use as long as your receiver level matches the speakers (many will even EQ them individually) then you're all set.

Make sure the C2 would fit. And ask Emotiva about using port plugs if needed.

post #17 of 29 Old 04-07-2020, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
I like the Chane, Ascend, and Hsu suggestions. Here's another good option. You can buy individual speakers if you don't want a package including the sub and want to add height speakers.
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...peaker-system/
post #18 of 29 Old 04-07-2020, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 1970
Emotiva....
post #19 of 29 Old 04-07-2020, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked: 3274
Quote:
Yeaaa that's my loose plan for the moment. If my denon gives up the ghost then I haven't lost anything on it since I paid around $180 for it at Best Buy during their march madness event 3 years ago. I think it was around $500ish normally. Surely I could find a replacement at accessories4less haha.

Why not just do 3 A2.4's across the front. You'd have a high performance front stage with equal impedance while also achieving the acoustic ideal. The A2.4 are reasonably efficient and can easily be driven with a modest AVR.
sigpig and rhelliott2 like this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #20 of 29 Old 04-07-2020, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No, no problem mixing different brand centers with L/R speakers at all. As long as you're not so silly as to upmix native 2 channel music into multi-channel, in which case yes you would want 3 "matched" speakers, preferably identical. Otherwise, for HT use as long as your receiver level matches the speakers (many will even EQ them individually) then you're all set.

Make sure the C2 would fit. And ask Emotiva about using port plugs if needed.
By receiver levels you mean setting the cross over the same? Example 80hz or 100 or whatever works for the room and such? Or the receiver levels, as it setting the db?
I called Emotiva a little bit ago and the gentleman I spoke with said it wouldn't be a problem at all plugging the C2. Like others have posted he said it'd give a little more bass. From what I've read it looks like most of the companies have nice return policies so I'll try experimenting with a couple stagings! I checked the back of the receiver by the speaker posts and it said it's rated 4-16 ohm. I'm kind of curious to know how well it'd do with all 4 ohm speakers, it's a placard so it's gotta do it right!?.... at least once haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
I like the Chane, Ascend, and Hsu suggestions. Here's another good option. You can buy individual speakers if you don't want a package including the sub and want to add height speakers.
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...peaker-system/
I followed your link and those white cabinets look great! I'm studying up on those too now and about to look deeper into reviews. Thanks for that reference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Why not just do 3 A2.4's across the front. You'd have a high performance front stage with equal impedance while also achieving the acoustic ideal. The A2.4 are reasonably efficient and can easily be driven with a modest AVR.
Welllll that's what I was really leaning towards. Then I read a thread that a mpk1970 did and he seemed to really like that C2 when he was comparing multiple speakers including the 2.4. So I figured if it'd pair well with the others I'd give it a shot while I'm ordering stuff and if I didn't like it I'd send it back. If it did work well then I'd probably use the 2.4 as a rear surround and go ahead and buy another to complete the rear. It's truly amazing how subjective and the infinite number of options there are that are dependent on their surroundings. I'm looking forward to the trial and error tho and as Zorba said hopefully avoiding the stinkers!
From what I understand if you mix speakers albeit impendecies or frequencies or timbre, the sound won't flow as evenly from speaker to speaker and the goal is to have at least the front 3 exactly the same however if they're all the same that's the holy grail of surround sound ...? Extreme example 7 different speakers all on the same avr with multiple impendency ratings would sound like a grade school music class??
post #21 of 29 Old 04-07-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
By receiver levels you mean setting the cross over the same? Example 80hz or 100 or whatever works for the room and such? Or the receiver levels, as it setting the db?
I called Emotiva a little bit ago and the gentleman I spoke with said it wouldn't be a problem at all plugging the C2. Like others have posted he said it'd give a little more bass. From what I've read it looks like most of the companies have nice return policies so I'll try experimenting with a couple stagings! I checked the back of the receiver by the speaker posts and it said it's rated 4-16 ohm. I'm kind of curious to know how well it'd do with all 4 ohm speakers, it's a placard so it's gotta do it right!?.... at least once haha.

I followed your link and those white cabinets look great! I'm studying up on those too now and about to look deeper into reviews. Thanks for that reference!

Welllll that's what I was really leaning towards. Then I read a thread that a mpk1970 did and he seemed to really like that C2 when he was comparing multiple speakers including the 2.4. So I figured if it'd pair well with the others I'd give it a shot while I'm ordering stuff and if I didn't like it I'd send it back. If it did work well then I'd probably use the 2.4 as a rear surround and go ahead and buy another to complete the rear. It's truly amazing how subjective and the infinite number of options there are that are dependent on their surroundings. I'm looking forward to the trial and error tho and as Zorba said hopefully avoiding the stinkers!

From what I understand if you mix speakers albeit impendecies or frequencies or timbre, the sound won't flow as evenly from speaker to speaker and the goal is to have at least the front 3 exactly the same however if they're all the same that's the holy grail of surround sound ...? Extreme example 7 different speakers all on the same avr with multiple impendency ratings would sound like a grade school music class??
Yeah, I meant the receiver levels for each speaker---"level matching" makes up for differences in sensitivity and impedance so that all the speakers produce the same db levels given the same output signal.

RSL speakers are indeed nice looking and have a generally very good reputation, but their newer models the CG5 and CG25 that have 5.25" woofers are quite expensive compared to the CG3 and CG23 which have 4" woofers.

post #22 of 29 Old 04-08-2020, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Funny, Emotiva told me they didn't reco plugging the ports

TCL 65 6 Series
Firec TV Cube 4k
Denonn X3500H
Chane A5.5 L/R, A2.5 C, JBL E10s surrounds
HSU VTF 3 MK 5
post #23 of 29 Old 04-08-2020, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I have owned both the Chane speakers and now the Emotiva's, if using a budget receiver I recommend the Chane setup though every speaker I have owned sounds best with better amplification, I myself would not mix brands if I didn't have to, A5.5 and 2.4 and a set of of the 1.5 for rears would make a fantastic 5ch setup.

Theater - Emotiva XMC-1 | D-Sonic M2-750-3 | Outlaw Model 7000x | Emotiva T1 (LCR) | UAC-8.2 rears | Mach 5 IXL-18's | NX6000D | Epson 3500 | DIY AT Spandex 100"
Desktop - Asgard 3 | HD58X | Airmotiv 5s

post #24 of 29 Old 04-08-2020, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboy View Post
Funny, Emotiva told me they didn't reco plugging the ports
Emotiva suggested for me to make some plugs for my T2's since they are sitting close to the front wall. They still sounding great after 3 years of use. YMMV.
post #25 of 29 Old 04-08-2020, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked: 3274
Quote:

The Chane A2.4 will perform very well. It has dual 5.25 woofers that will provide very clear and precise dialogue. If the A2.4 was a stinker of a center, going with the C1/C2 would make sense, but with Chane's proven performance, I see no reason to mis-match.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #26 of 29 Old 04-08-2020, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Also my mantle will be around 8.75" deep by the time I sand it and everything. When I was having the fireplace constructed I had them make the recess where the tv was going a little lower to give a nice viewing angle but at the time/3 weeks ago I wasn't thinking I needed a mantle any wider so it puts me in a precarious place trying to use the 2.4 as a center. I'm thinking about talking to the builder about making a recess for the speaker but the header support will be right behind the speaker location and I don't think that can be cut into. Up until yesterday I didn't know mounting a center speaker vertically was a desired thing but I don't think I can do that since the 2.4 is 30" long and it'd likely be hanging in front the fireplace. I might try making a quick card board or use scrap lumber laying around the house site to make a mock 2.4 and see if a platform would look stupid sitting under the speaker attached to the mantle. I think you guys have just about sold me on the chanes. Now I'm just going back and forth with different chane combos of rear and sides but if I have to use the C1 or C2 center I don't think I'd ever be able to tell they're mismatched. Just a curious question tho, since I have no intention of replacing my receiver; is the Denon S line or 920 one those brands and models that fudge their numbers?
post #27 of 29 Old 04-08-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Now I'm just going back and forth with different chane combos of rear and sides but if I have to use the C1 or C2 center I don't think I'd ever be able to tell they're mismatched.

Just a curious question tho, since I have no intention of replacing my receiver; is the Denon S line or 920 one those brands and models that fudge their numbers?
Nah, you won't be able to tell at all, unless you're deliberately MICRO-listening *for* any alleged "timbre" differences, in which case it's anybody's guess how much of your perception will be biased by preconception/expectation/placebo effect.

About your second question, not sure about the Denons today---the whole "receivers having bogus power specs" thing actually happened in the early 00s, I remember Onkyo and Yamaha were the most frequently accused, Onkyo especially. You may want to ask around in the Receivers forum, some of those folks change out their receivers more often than folks here change out their speakers! Either way, the Chanes are widely reported to be an easy load to drive rather than a speaker requiring beefy power, so I think you'll be fine unless you're looking for commercial theater volume levels.

post #28 of 29 Old 04-08-2020, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nah, you won't be able to tell at all, unless you're deliberately MICRO-listening *for* any alleged "timbre" differences, in which case it's anybody's guess how much of your perception will be biased by preconception/expectation/placebo effect.

A few minutes ago I stumbled across the forums on chanes website and it appears they've had other models in the works for some time now and they're about to be released. It kind of looks like they'll be offering another center channel option or even 2. The specs they posted are a little more doable but it's still going to be quite large. However if I can get one of those some time this year then I can keep it all chane!

About your second question, not sure about the Denons today---the whole "receivers having bogus power specs" thing actually happened in the early 00s, I remember Onkyo and Yamaha were the most frequently accused, Onkyo especially. You may want to ask around in the Receivers forum, some of those folks change out their receivers more often than folks here change out their speakers! Either way, the Chanes are widely reported to be an easy load to drive rather than a speaker requiring beefy power, so I think you'll be fine unless you're looking for commercial theater volume levels.
Ah I gotcha. We're not crazy load listeners of movies however her car radio volume is set to kill so who knows what will happen on her days off in the house with this setup. A few years ago we went to a movie theater that had some kind of fancy HD set up, I'm not sure what the labeling was but it was extra to watch the movie, so I was thinking oh it's the recline seating and full service. I was completely wrong, normal seats with the volume set way higher than any theater I've experienced and it was NOT enjoyable. I think I'll be completely content with the Denon haha.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-08-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I think I'll be completely content with the Denon haha.
I have a feeling you will be too---some speakers BEG you to crank them up because they just sound kind of dead and lifeless on low/moderate volumes. The Emotivas are the direct opposite of that: when I had the B1s + C1 up front, I was perfectly happy with them playing at moderate volumes because they just provided so much rich and satisfying detail already. The Chanes have a similar quality, though I have never had them as L/R speakers, just as a center (the A2.4).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page