• 2 Post By dwander
  • 1 Post By joxr

post #1 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Arendal Sound Speakers

Anyone here have them? I am looking at purchasing from their 1723 lineup and looking for some input from people who have them.
Trying to decide between monitors or the towers. From what I have read people suggest the towers for 2 channel listening with no sub while the monitors for HT. Also anyone from the US have them? Did you have to pay custom fees to import them ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxr View Post
Anyone here have them? I am looking at purchasing from their 1723 lineup and looking for some input from people who have them.
Trying to decide between monitors or the towers. From what I have read people suggest the towers for 2 channel listening with no sub while the monitors for HT. Also anyone from the US have them? Did you have to pay custom fees to import them ?

Thanks
Pretty active thread from overseas...

https://www.avforums.com/threads/are...akers.1999706/
joxr likes this.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Thanks
I’ve had a front stage with 1723s monitors for about 2 weeks but I can’t compare them to the towers or the bigger monitors since I’ve never heard them.

Marantz SR7011 | Marantz MM7025 | Outlaw 5000 | Klipsch RP 8000 | Klipsch RP 504C | Klipsch RP 502S | Klipsch RP 5000 | Klipsch CDT 5650 | Polk V60 | Klipsch SPL 120 (2)|
HSU VTF3 MK5 (2) | Crown XLS 1002 | Buttkicker LFE Mini (4) | Eaton 5PX 1500|

JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16x9| Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwander View Post
I’ve had a front stage with 1723s monitors for about 2 weeks but I can’t compare them to the towers or the bigger monitors since I’ve never heard them.

How do you like them ? When you bought them from Arendal did you have to pay a customs fee ?

post #5 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I’️ve had a front stage with 1723s monitors for about 2 weeks but I can’️t compare them to the towers or the bigger monitors since I’️ve never heard them.

How do you like them ? When you bought them from Arendal did you have to pay a customs fee ?
I’m coming from a klipsch reference premiere front stage so there was some adjustment to the sound. Klipsch is a much brighter speaker in comparison so at first while these had a much more natural sound it felt like something was missing. But after a few days of use my ears adjusted, I started pushing them and I was impressed. Really dynamic even compared to my much larger klipsch and much more natural obviously, especially in the center channel. They are much less fatiguing (which I never knew what that meant until now) and you can push them to extremely loud levels without them breaking a sweat or hurting your ears.

I was unsure like you are so my plan was to start with the monitors and then I could always move those to the rear and get the towers if I felt I wanted to do that.

I didn’t have to pay a customs charge, but ups did hold them an extra day and contacted me to fill out a short little form. My credit card company charged me and extra 70$ for international purchase which I didn’t know was a thing but it’s no big deal really. I still find them to be a great value.
nonametofame and joxr like this.

Marantz SR7011 | Marantz MM7025 | Outlaw 5000 | Klipsch RP 8000 | Klipsch RP 504C | Klipsch RP 502S | Klipsch RP 5000 | Klipsch CDT 5650 | Polk V60 | Klipsch SPL 120 (2)|

JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16x9| Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450
post #6 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I’m coming from a klipsch reference premiere front stage so there was some adjustment to the sound. Klipsch is a much brighter speaker in comparison so at first while these had a much more natural sound it felt like something was missing. But after a few days of use my ears adjusted, I started pushing them and I was impressed. Really dynamic even compared to my much larger klipsch and much more natural obviously, especially in the center channel. They are much less fatiguing (which I never knew what that meant until now) and you can push them to extremely loud levels without them breaking a sweat or hurting your ears.

I was unsure like you are so my plan was to start with the monitors and then I could always move those to the rear and get the towers if I felt I wanted to do that.

I didn’t have to pay a customs charge, but ups did hold them an extra day and contacted me to fill out a short little form. My credit card company charged me and extra 70$ for international purchase which I didn’t know was a thing but it’s no big deal really. I still find them to be a great value.
I am trying to decide between the 1723 line .. klipsch rf7-IIIs or PSA. I dont really like the look of the PSA speakers even though I like the 10" woofers. I had a full svs ultra setup that I ended up selling off so I am looking for something new. I have been interested in the Arendal speakers for awhile now. I would start off with the monitors but they are backordered until June. My plan was to do monitors for the surrounds and towers for the front. But after reading the thread on avforums it seems like recommend towers for music listening without a sub and the monitors for HT. So I dont know what to do lol.

Are you driving the monitors with just an AVR or are you using an amp because apparently they need a decent amount of power being 4 ohms. I would only be driving them with an AVR for awhile. Id also be running with no sub for a bit as I will be slowly putting together the setup over a few months.

post #7 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I am trying to decide between the 1723 line .. klipsch rf7-IIIs or PSA. I dont really like the look of the PSA speakers even though I like the 10" woofers. I had a full svs ultra setup that I ended up selling off so I am looking for something new. I have been interested in the Arendal speakers for awhile now. I would start off with the monitors but they are backordered until June. My plan was to do monitors for the surrounds and towers for the front. But after reading the thread on avforums it seems like recommend towers for music listening without a sub and the monitors for HT. So I dont know what to do lol.

Are you driving the monitors with just an AVR or are you using an amp because apparently they need a decent amount of power being 4 ohms. I would only be driving them with an AVR for awhile. Id also be running with no sub for a bit as I will be slowly putting together the setup over a few months.

Ive read through some of that thread and while ive seen people say what you just posted about the towers, i have to think that theres no downside in using the towers in a home theater setting. I would think that its just unnecessary bc with a proper crossover and good sub-woofers you probably arent utilizing the benefits of the towers which makes the monitors a more suitable choice. But why not? They are definitely not going to be worse than the monitors and theyll pretty much take up the same amount of space. Its just the extra cost. Thats my opinion on it. If you post in that thread im sure some of the owners can point you in the right direction in that reagard. I know im still curious to know what the towers sound like. But their speakers have a nice finish, and great build quality.

I am driving them with monolith amp so its a good amount of power. At least more than an AVR. But i wouldnt worry about that too much. An AVR will drive them and you can always app an amp if you need.

post #8 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ive read through some of that thread and while ive seen people say what you just posted about the towers, i have to think that theres no downside in using the towers in a home theater setting. I would think that its just unnecessary bc with a proper crossover and good sub-woofers you probably arent utilizing the benefits of the towers which makes the monitors a more suitable choice. But why not? They are definitely not going to be worse than the monitors and theyll pretty much take up the same amount of space. Its just the extra cost. Thats my opinion on it. If you post in that thread im sure some of the owners can point you in the right direction in that reagard. I know im still curious to know what the towers sound like. But their speakers have a nice finish, and great build quality.

I am driving them with monolith amp so its a good amount of power. At least more than an AVR. But i wouldnt worry about that too much. An AVR will drive them and you can always app an amp if you need.
What color finish did you get ? I love the gloss black like the svs ultras are but was thinking of going with the satin black. Also yea the monitors with the base arendal makes for them are basically the same size. It is weird reading thast thread with people saying how huge the towers are. I went over the measurements multiple times and they are narrower than my ultra towers were.

post #9 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:

What color finish did you get ? I love the gloss black like the svs ultras are but was thinking of going with the satin black. Also yea the monitors with the base arendal makes for them are basically the same size. It is weird reading thast thread with people saying how huge the towers are. I went over the measurements multiple times and they are narrower than my ultra towers were.
I went with satin black. I’m not a gloss guy. Thought the satin black was really nice. Nicer than the veneer finish of the klipsch but I thinks that’s a preference thing. And I agree about the towers size. I don’t think they are any bigger than comparable 2-3 way towers with 8” or 6” woofers. I’d say the monitors are definitely way bigger than most monitors or bookshelf’s. I didn’t get the stands though. I kept thinking I might as well just get the towers if I get those stands.

post #10 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2895 Post(s)
Liked: 2782
Quote:

Take a look at the new JBL HDI series.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #11 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I went with satin black. I’m not a gloss guy. Thought the satin black was really nice. Nicer than the veneer finish of the klipsch but I thinks that’s a preference thing. And I agree about the towers size. I don’t think they are any bigger than comparable 2-3 way towers with 8” or 6” woofers. I’d say the monitors are definitely way bigger than most monitors or bookshelf’s. I didn’t get the stands though. I kept thinking I might as well just get the towers if I get those stands.
It is so hard to pick what to buy .. especially since shipping back to norway wont be cheap.

post #12 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
There is a YouTube channel called SpareChange and he runs a full Arendel system. May want to watch his videos where he reviews them.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yea he is running monitors s. Seems no one is running towers. Also spare change is selling them for something else.
post #14 of 26 Old 04-06-2020, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Yea he is running monitors s. Seems no one is running towers. Also spare change is selling them for something else.
Word on the street is he will be demoing some JTR speakers.

If you don't like the look of the PSA speakers, they are coming out with a black oak finish. So far it will only be in the MT110 line, which is fine for HT...as long as you will be using a sub.

PSA is also having a amazing pre-sale on their new sub. The TV1812 ( 12hz port tune) just as good as the Rythmik FV18 but will only cost $1649 ( pre-sale)
post #15 of 26 Old 04-07-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
It is so hard to pick what to buy .. especially since shipping back to norway wont be cheap.
I think its $150 to ship them back.

post #16 of 26 Old 04-07-2020, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The more I think about it I might just go all monitors. Easier to move around and box up and sell if I need to. Towers are a pain to sell and move around. Plus also if in my next place I can build a baffle wall it will be easier to do it with monitors. Might just use monitors for my fronts .. surrounds and rear surrounds. Also might try about their sub3s.

150 each? Is that for each individual thingy you send back ? Cuz that could get very expensive.

post #17 of 26 Old 04-07-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The more I think about it I might just go all monitors. Easier to move around and box up and sell if I need to. Towers are a pain to sell and move around. Plus also if in my next place I can build a baffle wall it will be easier to do it with monitors. Might just use monitors for my fronts .. surrounds and rear surrounds. Also might try about their sub3s.

150 each? Is that for each individual thingy you send back ? Cuz that could get very expensive.
You’ll be plenty happy with the monitors and a system with 7 matching speakers should sound incredible. I’m looking forward to swapping in their stuff for my 4 surrounds.

They have a formula they use for shipping. Now I’m not positive if this specific to where it gets shipped but I believe it to be for all of the US.

0-3000 Euros is 7.5% (min. 75 Euros)
3000+ Euros is 5%

That’s the charge to ship and it costs exactly the same to ship back.

Also, youre probably aware but the price on the website includes a pretty high Tax that we don’t need to pay in the US. So a pair of 1723 Monitors is listed at 2099 Euros but for us it’s 1763.87 euros.

post #18 of 26 Old 04-07-2020, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You’ll be plenty happy with the monitors and a system with 7 matching speakers should sound incredible. I’m looking forward to swapping in their stuff for my 4 surrounds.

They have a formula they use for shipping. Now I’m not positive if this specific to where it gets shipped but I believe it to be for all of the US.

0-3000 Euros is 7.5% (min. 75 Euros)
3000+ Euros is 5%

That’s the charge to ship and it costs exactly the same to ship back.

Also, youre probably aware but the price on the website includes a pretty high Tax that we don’t need to pay in the US. So a pair of 1723 Monitors is listed at 2099 Euros but for us it’s 1763.87 euros.
Yea basically you divide 1.19 from the euro prices to get the us prices to get rid of the VAT

Kind of still considering the Klipsch rf7-iii

Last edited by joxr; 04-07-2020 at 09:48 AM.
post #19 of 26 Old 04-20-2020, 05:40 AM

Liked: 49
Quote:
Yea basically you divide 1.19 from the euro prices to get the us prices to get rid of the VAT

Kind of still considering the Klipsch rf7-iii
RF-7 iii have insane efficiency and there for dynamics
They will probably be better for home cinema then The Arendals

I have the RC-64 iii and the sound it produces is crazy Very very powerful yet very detailed speaker

Living Room: Marantz SR7012 - KEF LS50 - SVS SB16 Ultra - HECO On wall - LG C8
HT: Epson 6050UB - 120 inch Elite Screen - ARCAM AVR20 - Klipsch RC-64 III - DIY Towers with KEF LS50 UniQ drivers and SB Acoustics Satori 9,5' - SVS PC13 Ultra - SVS Prime Elevation - ELAC WS1445
post #20 of 26 Old 04-20-2020, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 145
post #21 of 26 Old 04-20-2020, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTimme View Post
RF-7 iii have insane efficiency and there for dynamics
They will probably be better for home cinema then The Arendals

I have the RC-64 iii and the sound it produces is crazy Very very powerful yet very detailed speaker
Yea still trying to decide what I am going to do. I like going with the Arendals because they are less known in the US. Klipsch is everywhere.
I kind of like the idea of 8" woofers with all the speakers. Instead of a mix of 10s in the towers and 6.5 everywhere else. Was also considering the PSA with the 10s throughout. The only problem I have with the PSAs is the looks since this isnt going into a dedicated theatre room.

post #22 of 26 Old 04-20-2020, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
Yea I saw that and the movie demo .. waiting to see his final thoughts which was supposed to be posted a few days ago.
doctors11 likes this.

post #23 of 26 Old 04-20-2020, 02:19 PM

Liked: 49
Quote:
Yea still trying to decide what I am going to do. I like going with the Arendals because they are less known in the US. Klipsch is everywhere.
I kind of like the idea of 8" woofers with all the speakers. Instead of a mix of 10s in the towers and 6.5 everywhere else. Was also considering the PSA with the 10s throughout. The only problem I have with the PSAs is the looks since this isnt going into a dedicated theatre room.
Yea I see where you’re coming from! Tough one

Living Room: Marantz SR7012 - KEF LS50 - SVS SB16 Ultra - HECO On wall - LG C8
HT: Epson 6050UB - 120 inch Elite Screen - ARCAM AVR20 - Klipsch RC-64 III - DIY Towers with KEF LS50 UniQ drivers and SB Acoustics Satori 9,5' - SVS PC13 Ultra - SVS Prime Elevation - ELAC WS1445
post #24 of 26 Old 04-21-2020, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

For anyone who owns or previously owned arendal speakers and lives in the US .. did you have to pay import or custom fees ?

post #25 of 26 Old 05-24-2020, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Yes you have to import the speakers thus pay fees.

I made my purchase through Arendal and they had the speakers in the mail the next day. They arrived in the US one day later, then UPS contacted me about import forms to fill. They hit you with the bill a few months later.

Personally, my Arendals are my End-Game speakers. Love the sound, love the look. They come with a 10-year full warranty too. Plus great service? And the build quality is outstanding. Someone mentioned the new JBL HDI series, but the comparable speakers in the line they cost more than Arendal 1723 the build quality of the JBL HDI is a couple of notches down (The rear speaker connections have a lot of plastic and are plain).

I used to be all about Klipsch until I heard the Arendals, and I only have 1723s Monitors. The latest Klipsch Ref Prem. sound a little thin afterward the comparison, lacking a little body. And the treble is still a hair bright in my opinion, despite what all the youtube reviews said about them not being fatiguing anymore (but that's me). Also, the latest Klipsch of course play loud and detailed with little power, but once you do the same with the Arendal 1723 speakers, you get the detail but it just sounds more natural, and amazingly it is not fatiguing. The louder you play a movie action scenes, the generally better it sounds...to a point of course.

Needless to say I highly recommend saving for the Arendals.
post #26 of 26 Old 05-24-2020, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Trying to decide between the 1723 tower or the monitor. I have the 1723 center here now to see how it fits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page