Sony Core bookshelf vs. Klipsch R-51M - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By djp2k7
  • 1 Post By djp2k7

post #1 of 9 Old 04-07-2020, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Sony Core bookshelf vs. Klipsch R-51M

Has anyone compared these 2 speakers ? I have the Sony Core now, and I like them, but was curious if the Klipsch would be an upgrade. Use would be about 2/3 home theater and 1/3 music.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-07-2020, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 291
any guesses as to what you would consider an upgrade? Is there something you currently dislike about the Sony Cores? What some might consider better you might consider worse (like being more forward). Hard to say what is better without some guidance on what better is.

Front: Polk S55
Center: Polk S30
Rear: Polk S10
Sub: P̶L̶-̶2̶0̶0̶I̶I̶ | (̶2̶)̶ ̶F̶V̶X̶1̶2̶ | V1812
post #3 of 9 Old 04-07-2020, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9168 Post(s)
Liked: 7031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Has anyone compared these 2 speakers ? I have the Sony Core now, and I like them, but was curious if the Klipsch would be an upgrade. Use would be about 2/3 home theater and 1/3 music.
I home demoed the Core bookshelves a couple years back. Great when on sale for $80/pr, with mids and highs better than many speakers in the $300-400/pr price range. Weak bass and showing strain past 70-75db were there only two drawbacks.

Amazon has the R-51M for $432/pr.

If you're ok with towers, for $400 you can get a pair of these which would be a big leap up, imo:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...rmotiv-t0-pair

Other great options in that price range:
  • HTD Level 3 bookshelves (free return shipping)
  • Chane A1.5 ($300/pr)
  • Ascend 170SE ($300/pr)
  • KEF Q150 ($300/pr)
  • Boston Acoustics A26 from accessories4less.com

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-07-2020, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I home demoed the Core bookshelves a couple years back. Great when on sale for $80/pr, with mids and highs better than many speakers in the $300-400/pr price range. Weak bass and showing strain past 70-75db were there only two drawbacks.

Amazon has the R-51M for $432/pr.

If you're ok with towers, for $400 you can get a pair of these which would be a big leap up, imo:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...rmotiv-t0-pair

Other great options in that price range:
  • HTD Level 3 bookshelves (free return shipping)
  • Chane A1.5 ($300/pr)
  • Ascend 170SE ($300/pr)
  • KEF Q150 ($300/pr)
  • Boston Acoustics A26 from accessories4less.com
$290 msrp and on sale at Best Buy now for $218. Not sure why Amazon is so high. I think I'd rather pay $300 for the Chanes or Kefs. Always wanted to try out the Boston A series.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-07-2020, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.
I haven't heard the Cores but I did pick up the R-51's when they were on sale at Best Buy for $120. $120! I returned them after a few days though. I thought they sounded really good though. Fun speaker. They just didn't have the transparency and midrange detail I prefer. At the time I had on hand a pair of Dali Zensor 1's and vintage ADS L710's. The Klipsch and Dali's were very comparable. The ADS were in a completely different league.

Zorba had some good recommendations. The Kef Q150's are $270 at accessories4less. Manufacturer refurb with warranty. That would be a great upgrade I think. But the Klipsch are on sale for $218 at Best Buy now. Wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a pair and compare them. Return them if they aren't worth it.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-07-2020, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
any guesses as to what you would consider an upgrade? Is there something you currently dislike about the Sony Cores? What some might consider better you might consider worse (like being more forward). Hard to say what is better without some guidance on what better is.
There's nothing I dislike about the Cores. I'm mainly intrigued about the horns in the Klipsch after watching a video of Steve Guttenberg. I've never listened to a horn tweeter before.

If the R-51M have a weak midrange, does that mean it wouldn't be good for home theater(dialogue) ?
post #7 of 9 Old 04-07-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
There's nothing I dislike about the Cores. I'm mainly intrigued about the horns in the Klipsch after watching a video of Steve Guttenberg. I've never listened to a horn tweeter before.
If you just want to try out the horn sound, the Klipsch RP-500M would be a much safer choice (the RP series has supposedly overcome most of the treble overload "brightness" issues of previous entry level Klipsch speakers) for not much more dough:
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Refer...dp/B07G39PDC2/

Best Buy probably carries the RP-500M, in which case you can get them to pricematch it online and just go to the store to pick it up, giving you 15 days to try out and see if you like it or not.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #8 of 9 Old 04-07-2020, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Zorba. I don't want to spend that much.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-08-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks Zorba. I don't want to spend that much.
ok.

Well for future reference, the Hsu HB-1 which is also horn driven, sometimes goes on sale for $139 each, and is widely reported to NOT have the brightness issues that horns are often accused of...well reviewed, too.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page