$2k to spend on speakers, sub and receiver - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 139Likes

post #241 of 264 Old 05-20-2020, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9076 Post(s)
Liked: 6974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sweeney View Post
Definitely sounds better with the front speakers split wider and toed in.
I think that is a pretty good testament to the NON-brightness of the Emotivas. Speakers that do run towards "brightness" are usually murder when toed in.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 264 Old 05-20-2020, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Good!

It's not actually that uncommon for the phase error to happen - I've seen several people report that same problem, and most of them have others just telling them to ignore it
I would have been more comfortable ignoring had I not had the successful calibration with T Zeroes. Once the seed of doubt was planted, I had to “know”...
Ryan Statz likes this.
post #243 of 264 Old 05-21-2020, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10068 Post(s)
Liked: 7073
Quote:
For anyone interested, attached are new pics of the T1+'s - with and without grills.
They actually look quite handsome with the grills on.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 264 Old 05-22-2020, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

A1's just came in. I know most of you aren't big on the ceiling reflective route, but these can be height mounted later if desired, and I got a bargain. Only had a chance to listen to a couple Atmos demo trailers, but my initial impression is that they added a new dimension to the sound field.

I think I'm done now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3605.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	892.6 KB
ID:	2730762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3606.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	849.3 KB
ID:	2730764  
Ryan Statz likes this.
post #245 of 264 Old 05-22-2020, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
I think I'm done now.
That's what we all say...

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | KEF Q650c Centre | KEF Q150 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch | TBA: KEF Q750 Front L/R

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
post #246 of 264 Old 05-22-2020, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

"Now"
Ryan Statz likes this.
post #247 of 264 Old 05-22-2020, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
"Now"
More subs, MiniDSP, Umik-1, REW, more subs...
Ryan Statz likes this.
post #248 of 264 Old 05-22-2020, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
More subs, MiniDSP, Umik-1, REW, more subs...
If I ever did get a second sub, is it best to get a matching pair (I have a LV12F Rythmik)?
post #249 of 264 Old 05-22-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
A1's just came in. I know most of you aren't big on the ceiling reflective route, but these can be height mounted later if desired, and I got a bargain. Only had a chance to listen to a couple Atmos demo trailers, but my initial impression is that they added a new dimension to the sound field.
Interesting, didn't expect the A1s to have such square yoga-block-resembling covers...I thought they would just be sloped like the rest of the speaker's top.

Another entry in my "Wonder what Emotiva's aesthetic designers are smoking" log.
sigpig and AlexLac like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #250 of 264 Old 05-22-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
If I ever did get a second sub, is it best to get a matching pair (I have a LV12F Rythmik)?
Yes, unless you want to get a sealed sub that can be used as a nearfield MBM, like this one:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html

post #251 of 264 Old 05-22-2020, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Interesting, didn't expect the A1s to have such square yoga-block-resembling covers...I thought they would just be sloped like the rest of the speaker's top.

Another entry in my "Wonder what Emotiva's aesthetic designers are smoking" log.
Actually they come with two different grills. They recommend the normal flat grills when mounting , but recommend the yoga blocks (they call it a "directivity control grill") when using as ceiling reflective speakers.

Last edited by Jeff Sweeney; 05-22-2020 at 04:13 PM.
post #252 of 264 Old 05-22-2020, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, unless you want to get a sealed sub that can be used as a nearfield MBM, like this one:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html
What...does that mean?
post #253 of 264 Old 05-22-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
What...does that mean?
This is how Hsu explains it, when they used to produced the MBM-12 which was a dedicated mid-bass module:

Quote:
Hsu has included a patent pending concept which they say splits up the bass frequencies and doubles the mid-bass impact.

This is what they had to say about this concept:
"In most moderately sized rooms, mid-bass is best reproduced near the listener, while deep bass is best reproduced in a far corner. The mid bass module allows one to do optimally position the low frequencies nearby, for maximum impact. The high direct to reflected sound ratio of nearfield placement helps reduce room effects, gives excellent headroom (high SPL with low power since you are right next to the woofer), and low distortion. Low bass, on the other hand, is most efficiently reproduced when placed in a front corner (see figure below)." - Hsu Research

"Just like the VTF concept, a woofer optimized for low bass reproduction is not the best for mid to upper bass reproduction. A heavy cone is best for low bass, but that reduces the mid to upper bass efficiency. The MBM-12 MK2 woofer is optimized for mid to upper bass reproduction - a very light cone, low inductance voice coil, and a strong magnet yields extremely quick response with high efficiency. It demonstrates excellent micro-dynamics and an extremely wide dynamic range that no single subwoofer can provide."
https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...verview.93973/
Jeff Sweeney likes this.

post #254 of 264 Old 05-22-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Actually they come with two different grills. They recommend the normal flat grills when mounting , but recommend the yoga blocks (they call it a "directivity control grill") when using as ceiling reflective speakers.
hmmm, ever tried to listen to them with the flat grills, to see if the yoga block ones really work? I'd be curious, since you seem to be having better results with upfiring Atmos than most folks.

post #255 of 264 Old 05-22-2020, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
hmmm, ever tried to listen to them with the flat grills, to see if the yoga block ones really work? I'd be curious, since you seem to be having better results with upfiring Atmos than most folks.
I'll have to play around with them - just arrived this afternoon.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #256 of 264 Old 05-22-2020, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Correct. Two of the same subs are optimal.
post #257 of 264 Old 05-23-2020, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

"The faceted front panel design, borrowed from our studio monitors, not only adds a stylishly futuristic look to our Airmotiv speakers, but also serves a very practical purpose – to minimize diffraction effects and room interactions."
post #258 of 264 Old 05-23-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
SVS has stated in SVS threads that they do not recommend mixing different SVS subs in a multi sub setup and that identical is always the best way to go.

Geoff A. J., California
post #259 of 264 Old 05-23-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
"The faceted front panel design, borrowed from our studio monitors, not only adds a stylishly futuristic look to our Airmotiv speakers, but also serves a very practical purpose – to minimize diffraction effects and room interactions."
That's why I asked the OP to compare how the A1s sound with both grilles...to see if this is actually true or just a marketing concept.
AlexLac likes this.

post #260 of 264 Old 05-23-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:

More like stylishly devoid look.
AlexLac likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #261 of 264 Old 05-23-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
That's why I asked the OP to compare how the A1s sound with both grilles...to see if this is actually true or just a marketing concept.
I'm curious to hear about that too.
I assume it has some effect, but I think it would need a blind test to judge if it's a noticeable one.
That Emotiva claim is in regards to the entire line, not just the A1.

Last edited by AlexLac; 05-23-2020 at 09:54 AM.
post #262 of 264 Old 05-23-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
That Emotiva claim is in regards to the entire line, not just the A1.
Oh I see, it's talking about the rigid front face of the speaker not the weird looking grille that the OP and I were discussing.

Yeah I'm familiar with that claim, never really believed it just like I never really believed the claim that a speaker having curved sides is a big acoustic advantage.

This grille claim though is new.

post #263 of 264 Old 05-23-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Oh I see, it's talking about the rigid front face of the speaker not the weird looking grille that the OP and I were discussing.

Yeah I'm familiar with that claim, never really believed it just like I never really believed the claim that a speaker having curved sides is a big acoustic advantage.

This grille claim though is new.
I saw it on the A1 product page, but it's on all the models.

Anything you change would make A difference, which makes claiming something very easy. It just doesn't necessarily make a human-grade difference.

Last edited by AlexLac; 05-23-2020 at 10:48 AM.
post #264 of 264 Old 05-25-2020, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Answering the original poster who has likely already purchased. I built a system in 5.4.2 used. Paridigm monitor 7 V2, v2 mini monitor for surround, v3 atoms for height cc370 v2, 4 velodyne subs old CT series. toal cost including the recapping done by myself under a 1000. Used speakers are king. It's the last audio bastion that doesn't change or out date really.
AlexLac likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page