Rear Dolby-enabled Atmos or Surround Back Speaker - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tbook
  • 1 Post By Jonas2

post #1 of 10 Old 04-13-2020, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Rear Dolby-enabled Atmos or Surround Back Speaker

Currently I have front Dolby-enabled speakers integrated with my front speakers (Klipsch RP-280FA), those speakers equipped with 6.5" woofers and work great in my room. Since my receiver has 1 more channels for expansion, I would like to use it for either rear Dolby-enabled speakers or surround back speakers, but I need more input before I can make decision.

1) I understand adding surround back speaker will further fill sound on the back. Given I'm using RP-240S bipole speakers, will surround back speakers useful in this situation?

2) For rear Dolby-enabled speakers, should the woofer size have to match with the front Atmos speakers?

3) RP-500SA is equipped with 5.25" woofers and the price is $799. While I found RP-140SA with 4" woofers only $380. Given RP-500SA is 2019 version and RP-140SA is 2016 version, my speaker system is all 2016 version, the only difference on the 2019 version is the vented tweeters. Does it matter to match the tweeter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-13-2020, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikaruJ View Post
Currently I have front Dolby-enabled speakers integrated with my front speakers (Klipsch RP-280FA), those speakers equipped with 6.5" woofers and work great in my room. Since my receiver has 1 more channels for expansion, I would like to use it for either rear Dolby-enabled speakers or surround back speakers, but I need more input before I can make decision.

1) I understand adding surround back speaker will further fill sound on the back. Given I'm using RP-240S bipole speakers, will surround back speakers useful in this situation?

2) For rear Dolby-enabled speakers, should the woofer size have to match with the front Atmos speakers?

3) RP-500SA is equipped with 5.25" woofers and the price is $799. While I found RP-140SA with 4" woofers only $380. Given RP-500SA is 2019 version and RP-140SA is 2016 version, my speaker system is all 2016 version, the only difference on the 2019 version is the vented tweeters. Does it matter to match the tweeter?
I just did this recently. Total newb at this game other than using my ears, but what I can say is that 4 x atmos vs. surround backs night and day. In fact while my rear surrounds are still hooked up I have yet to see or hear them switch on despite a movie claiming to be 7.1 with the 4 atmos hooked up. Regardless the sound from the 4 atmos whether it is bouncing off the ceiling or not is absolutely sublime. Can't comment on the technicalities of the size and versions there but when I started my venture only a couple months ago, I also started with only two in the front, proper size PSB XA's. At them time nothing remarkable, then I grabbed a cheap pair of Onkyo's on sale to test whether 4 atmos would be better. There again unremarkable but still noticeable. Then I got a second pair of PSB XA's to match the fronts and that is when it all lit up, so much so, I wanted more and changed everything to matching KEF's all round and now it is utterly shocking. So based on that amateur take I would go with matching rear atmos to be safe.
HikaruJ likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-13-2020, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
I would do 5.x.4 over 7.x.2, so go with the 2-extra Atmos - IF - that is working for you. If your room is right, then give it a try.

Quote:
Ideally, front and rear Atmos speakers should be the same.

Quote:
Yes, also ideally the tweeters are matched, or at least very similar. These might be close enough, not sure if you'd hear a real difference between the vented tweeter and other tweeter. Can't say you won't, but I'd bet it wouldn't be too significant, at least not a bad way. Let's face it though, the world is full of compromises for whatever reason, not always practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbook View Post
In fact while my rear surrounds are still hooked up I have yet to see or hear them switch on despite a movie claiming to be 7.1 with the 4 atmos hooked up.
That's odd! You should definitely get action out of all 7 bed layer speakers if the audio track is made for it.
HikaruJ likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-13-2020, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbook View Post
I just did this recently. Total newb at this game other than using my ears, but what I can say is that 4 x atmos vs. surround backs night and day. In fact while my rear surrounds are still hooked up I have yet to see or hear them switch on despite a movie claiming to be 7.1 with the 4 atmos hooked up. Regardless the sound from the 4 atmos whether it is bouncing off the ceiling or not is absolutely sublime. Can't comment on the technicalities of the size and versions there but when I started my venture only a couple months ago, I also started with only two in the front, proper size PSB XA's. At them time nothing remarkable, then I grabbed a cheap pair of Onkyo's on sale to test whether 4 atmos would be better. There again unremarkable but still noticeable. Then I got a second pair of PSB XA's to match the fronts and that is when it all lit up, so much so, I wanted more and changed everything to matching KEF's all round and now it is utterly shocking. So based on that amateur take I would go with matching rear atmos to be safe.
When you hooked up your speakers and set the DSP mode correctly, those surround/surround back speakers should have sound coming out. I found out the high frequency of the Atmos speaker is the most important part because it can travel further than the low frequency, I tried to cover the tweeters and it really makes a difference. Onkyo Atmos speaker does not have a tweeter so the sound may not be very noticeable. But I guess from your recommendation, I should go for RP-140SA to match with my existing system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I would do 5.x.4 over 7.x.2, so go with the 2-extra Atmos - IF - that is working for you. If your room is right, then give it a try.
Currently I'm using 5.2.2, my receiver have 1 more channel left to be used. So I wonder if I can add a pair of Atmos speaker to fill in the blanks and have a better experience.

Quote:
Ideally, front and rear Atmos speakers should be the same.
Unfortunately Klipsch does not make 6.5" Atmos speaker, the biggest is 5.25" and it has a different tweeter and double the previous model price. ($380 Vs $799)

Quote:
Yes, also ideally the tweeters are matched, or at least very similar. These might be close enough, not sure if you'd hear a real difference between the vented tweeter and other tweeter. Can't say you won't, but I'd bet it wouldn't be too significant, at least not a bad way. Let's face it though, the world is full of compromises for whatever reason, not always practical.
I guess I should pick up RP-140SA and save some money towards other gear.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-14-2020, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Currently I'm using 5.2.2, my receiver have 1 more channel left to be used. So I wonder if I can add a pair of Atmos speaker to fill in the blanks and have a better experience.

Assuming your receiver can process 4 Atmos, not just 2? Guessing maybe it can do 7.x.2, or 5.x4? What receiver do you have?

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #6 of 10 Old 04-14-2020, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

Assuming your receiver can process 4 Atmos, not just 2? Guessing maybe it can do 7.x.2, or 5.x4? What receiver do you have?
I’m currently using Denon AVR-X6500h, so Height 2 L/R is still opened for another pair of speaker. (It is an assignable channel.) It sounds like 4 atmos speakers will give a better experience than adding a pair surround back speaker.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-15-2020, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m currently using Denon AVR-X6500h, so Height 2 L/R is still opened for another pair of speaker. (It is an assignable channel.) It sounds like 4 atmos speakers will give a better experience than adding a pair surround back speaker.

Yeah, you should be good to go with that receiver then. That's what I'd do - if it was a choice between 7.x.2 and 5.x.4, I'd go with the four Atmos speakers. If course, 7.x.4 is better! It looks like your receiver can do that (processing), I didn't look at the details, probably need an external 2-channel amp and use pre-outs for the additional two. If you have the space and the budget that is.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #8 of 10 Old 04-15-2020, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
I’️m currently using Denon AVR-X6500h, so Height 2 L/R is still opened for another pair of speaker. (It is an assignable channel.) It sounds like 4 atmos speakers will give a better experience than adding a pair surround back speaker.
Yeah, you should be good to go with that receiver then. That's what I'd do - if it was a choice between 7.x.2 and 5.x.4, I'd go with the four Atmos speakers. If course, 7.x.4 is better! It looks like your receiver can do that (processing), I didn't look at the details, probably need an external 2-channel amp and use pre-outs for the additional two. If you have the space and the budget that is. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif[/IMG]
Unless I don’t bi-amp the front speaker, then I can expand to 7.2.4. But I don’t think surround back will have a big surprise. I guess go with 4 Atmos speakers will be the best bet. 🙂

Currently I do not have external amp (May be in the future.)
post #9 of 10 Old 04-15-2020, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unless I don’t bi-amp the front speaker, then I can expand to 7.2.4. But I don’t think surround back will have a big surprise. I guess go with 4 Atmos speakers will be the best bet. 🙂

Don't know how much bi-amping is really going to get you. I'd rather have the 7.2.4 than bi-amped fronts. I upgraded from 5.2.4 to 7.2.4 and it was well worth it. At least in my system, it really makes more complete the bubble of immersion, kind of fills in a blank. YMMV!

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #10 of 10 Old 04-15-2020, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Atmos speakers any day over rear surrounds. I have both. I had to move my setup out temporarily and I will say i notice not having the Atmos overhead speakers quite a bit.

So many movies aren't encoded for 7 channel anyways, and yes not for Atmos either, but the Atmos decoding my Marantz does makes all movies etc more immersive if it doesn't have Atmos natively.

My HT Build
Marantz SR6011 + Yamaha RX-V671. JVC RS-420 - 92" Elite Screens Cinetension 2 electric screen, Panasonic 65" plasma
7.3.4 Atmos setup - Definitive Technology - BP8 (2), CLR2500, Supercube II (2), Supercube 3 (1), BPX1.2x (2), BPX2 (2), DI 5.5 (4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page