$300ish Bookshelf Shootout (another one?!) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 682Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 579 Old 04-23-2020, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,361
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
Here's a few nobody mentioned

HSU HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html



https://www.crutchfield.com/p_893BZ1...Oak-Vinyl.html



Emotiva B1s out of stock.
I get the feeling emo has a big virus issue going on...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 579 Old 04-23-2020, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16,609
Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9586 Post(s)
Liked: 7405
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post
Having demo'd the Q150 vs the Wharfedale Reva-2... the Q150 sounded much warmer to me of the 2. The bass was thick and fat and the upper mids and low treble sounded recessed to me. This iteration of the Q series seems to be a bit of a departure from previous generations that had a rep for being neutral to a bit bright.
The Revas were reportedly a big anomaly in the Wharfedale lineup...said to be much more neutral than the Diamond line. But I have heard numerous similar reports of the Q150 being an opposite departure from its predecessor the Q100 which I home demoed and found too forward/aggressive. Would love to hear the Q150 for myself at some point.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #33 of 579 Old 04-23-2020, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Billy p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA (Greater Toronto Area)
Posts: 2,030
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidvanderbilt1 View Post
Definitely PSB Alpha P5 or P3
Not....the RCs imo image better than the image line..

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC{RAAL} & 200 SE in espresso,
65" LG OLED B9, Marantz 1710 & Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!

Last edited by Billy p; 04-23-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Billy p is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 579 Old 04-23-2020, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The Revas were reportedly a big anomaly in the Wharfedale lineup...said to be much more neutral than the Diamond line. But I have heard numerous similar reports of the Q150 being an opposite departure from its predecessor the Q100 which I home demoed and found too forward/aggressive. Would love to hear the Q150 for myself at some point.
Yeah the Reva-2 (and Reva-1 that I tried first) are definitely different from the Diamond 10.1 and Evo 2-8 that I had in the past... more neutral for sure... but I still find the Reva have a smooth relaxed sound. I can crank them and not worry about listening fatigue.

I didn't really care for the Q150 - I thought the low end was too thick and the upper midrange/low treble was too laid back. They weren't bad by any means, but I didn't second guess sending them back.

Since the OP doesn't like the RC-10... I'm curious what he'll think of the Q150. I think they have a similar overall tonal balance. That said, I did like the RC-10 back when I had them... and it's been awhile since then... so maybe they are less alike than I think.
Lp85253 likes this.

Last edited by alphaiii; 04-23-2020 at 03:59 PM.
alphaiii is offline  
post #35 of 579 Old 04-23-2020, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TXBDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Ok here's the final line up for new speakers in addition to the RC-10s and S30s I already have and most likely eliminated:
  1. Vanatoo Transparent Zero - $360 (actives with DAC)
  2. KEF Q150 - $300
  3. Elac Debut 2.0 5.2 - $300
  4. PSB Alpha P3 - $220
  5. Q Acoustic 3020i - $315
  6. NHT C1 - $280
  7. Ascend CBM-170 SE - $300

This has already escalated. hah

Any advice on a testing strategy? tourney bracket style? I'll use Tidal Masters as the source. The amp (NAD 3045) has a USB DAC built in. If anyone has a song request or recommendation i'll consider it.
Lp85253 likes this.

Last edited by TXBDan; 04-24-2020 at 12:36 PM.
TXBDan is offline  
post #36 of 579 Old 04-23-2020, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16,609
Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9586 Post(s)
Liked: 7405
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
Ok here's the final line up for new speakers in addition to the RC-10s and S30s I already have and most likely eliminated:
  • Vanatoo Transparent Zero - $360 (actives with DAC)
  • KEF Q150 - $300
  • Elac Debut 2.0 5.2 - $300
  • PSB Alpha P3 - $220
  • Q Audio 3020i - $315
  • NHT C1 - $280
  • Ascend CBM-170 SE - $300

This has already escalated. hah

Any advice on a testing strategy? tourney bracket style? I'll use Tidal Masters as the source. The amp (NAD 3045) has a USB DAC built in. If anyone has a song request or recommendation i'll consider it.
Nice! Looking forward to reading all about it.

I would just use whatever YOUR favorite music is, since it doesn't do you much good if a speaker sounds great with (for example) death metal when you actually listen to everything else but.
psuKinger likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #37 of 579 Old 04-23-2020, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,361
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
Ok here's the final line up for new speakers in addition to the RC-10s and S30s I already have and most likely eliminated:
  • Vanatoo Transparent Zero - $360 (actives with DAC)
  • KEF Q150 - $300
  • Elac Debut 2.0 5.2 - $300
  • PSB Alpha P3 - $220
  • Q Audio 3020i - $315
  • NHT C1 - $280
  • Ascend CBM-170 SE - $300

This has already escalated. hah

Any advice on a testing strategy? tourney bracket style? I'll use Tidal Masters as the source. The amp (NAD 3045) has a USB DAC built in. If anyone has a song request or recommendation i'll consider it.
my idea .. 3 separate 1st round matches .. 3 winners.. take your 1st round favorite , give it a "bye" into the finals and match #2 vs #3 as a semi final.. edit .. maybe let folks vote on seeding.. seed 1-6, 1 vs 6 , 2 vs 5 , 3 vs 4... keeps everybody involved

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in

Last edited by Lp85253; 04-23-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Lp85253 is online now  
post #38 of 579 Old 04-24-2020, 04:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Here's another suggestion for you. These just went on sale at both Best Buy and Crutchfield. I'd love to see how that AMT tweeter does against the others.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_839MO4...Motion-4i.html

https://www.tonepublications.com/rev...gan-motion-4i/

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...peaker-review/

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revie...i-review-r816/

Last edited by doctors11; 04-24-2020 at 04:35 AM.
doctors11 is offline  
post #39 of 579 Old 04-24-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 19,313
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked: 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
  • Vanatoo Transparent Zero - $360 (actives with DAC)
  • KEF Q150 - $300
  • Elac Debut 2.0 5.2 - $300
  • PSB Alpha P3 - $220
  • Q Audio 3020i - $315
  • NHT C1 - $280
  • Ascend CBM-170 SE - $300
Any advice on a testing strategy? tourney bracket style? I'll use Tidal Masters as the source. The amp (NAD 3045) has a USB DAC built in. If anyone has a song request or recommendation i'll consider it.
As stated use your favorite music ... and do not let the forum drive you stir crazy on how you audition ... on a side note from your new list, there is one set of speakers that I packed and sent back fast, so I will keep an eye out on your take of that set. ... enjoy the adventure!
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #40 of 579 Old 04-24-2020, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,361
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
As stated use your favorite music ... and do not let the forum drive you stir crazy on how you audition ... on a side note from your new list, there is one set of speakers that I packed and sent back fast, so I will keep an eye out on your take of that set. ... enjoy the adventure!
i was going to say something about that , then thought .. nope , you never know , they might be his favorites..
zieglj01 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #41 of 579 Old 04-24-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 8,473
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2948 Post(s)
Liked: 2824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mertz View Post
Related to speaker reviews at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...x.php?reviews/ keep in mind that clearly the focus is on measurements. Listening tests are sometimes literally 8 sentences long. A short paragraph is laughable to establish any level of detail about how a speaker actually sounds. That is not even remotely close to a proper listening review. Technical/measurement review site? Yes. Decision-making material? Absolutely not.


That is not intended as a hit against the reviewer, the website is clearly geared more to measurements, I'd just hate to have someone make a decision based on a "review" like those posted there.
But this site is AV"Science". So science should be prevalent in the decision process. There are so many posts and threads on what makes a speaker sound good and almost all of them fall back to "if it has a flat response it will sound good". So measurements are indeed important decision making tools.

After browsing through some of those reviews there for sure were speakers that I would never consider based on the measurements and cost for what the extra $$$ bring.

I'm just glad I don't know how bad my Klipsch towers measure. If I did I probably spend all day trying to hear the flaws.
bear123 likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #42 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TXBDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Here's the current scoop. The NAD D 3045 i ordered is lost in the mail somewhere. Who knows when it'll show up, but Fedex can't find it. So i set up my old Denon AVR-1913 down in the basement where i decided to do the testing. The acoustics are much better there than in my office as the floor has foam tiles and the ceiling has insulation. It's a big oddly shaped room and it sounds pretty good. I used to do recording and music mixing/production stuff down there. Yes, the final home for the speakers will be my office and i plan to do some testing there as well, but I want to make my feedback a little more universal. I've also been struggling to get my sub manually setup in my office, the modes are a nightmare. So if i find speakers that can do well without a sub, all the better.

The receiver has two zones which makes A/B testing a little easier. So i have two sets of speakers up on stands at a time. They're 2ft from the back wall, about 6ft apart and my listening chair is about 9 feet back. There's a good 6ft from each speaker to the side wall and the room itself is 26ft long and has off shoots. Sort of C shaped.

The music i listen most often i guess is "indie" rock/pop. This covers ground from folk to rock to synthy stuff to some r&b. I listen to a lot of other stuff, though, so for the comparison i made a varied list, but also explored around the Tidal app to find other stuff. I tend to only listen to sections of songs so i'd prob cover 15 or so songs per test. The test playlist i made includes, St. Vincent, Fleetwood Mac, Miles Davis, The Weeknd, Radiohead, Steely Dan (obligatory Aja), Tame Impala, Sufjan Stevens, Fiona Apple, Andrew Bird, Tracy Chapman, Between the Buried and Me, Christine and the Queens, Vagabon, MGMT, Pink Floyd, Mac DeMarco, Queen, Jenny Lewis, Billie Eilish, and Beyonce. A good ol' mix. When i ventured off my playlist to explore i tended to look for hop hop and r&b to grab some more low end testing. So I'll prob describe generalities than specifics song by song. If anyone has an interesting test song, i'd be happy to check it out.

Cambridge Audio S30 vs Energy RC-10
So anyway, i started yesterday comparing my old Cambridge Audio S30s to the Energy RC-10s as a warmup. A few days aga when I was comparing the Vanatoos to the S30s, it became clear that the S30s had a cut in the upper mids somewhere. I think at first it sort of accentuates the highes and makes them sound sort of clear, but digging in more its clear it tends to thin out voices and make things a little nasally. Above this cut i think the treble is boosted a bit. The low end is then hyped a little. This response remained apparent in comparison to the RC-10s. It's like once i heard it and i couldn't unhear it. The RC-10s have nice mids and are flatter, but the low end and high end does roll off a bit. The RC-10s can sound slightly stuffy or boxy. But the mids are very nice and if you like a little more laid back high end these might be great speakers for you. Really this comparison didn't take super long as i'm pretty ready to dismiss the S30s. They sound sort of fun on their own, but next to something with a flatter response the begin to fall short. Winner RC-10.

Next up is the RC-10s vs the KEF Q150s.
doctors11 likes this.

Last edited by TXBDan; 04-26-2020 at 11:55 AM.
TXBDan is offline  
post #43 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TXBDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Energy RC-10 vs KEF Q150
I spent the second half of yesterday and earlier today comparing these two. Right off the bat you can tell the KEFs play both higher and deeper. They are not laid back compared to the RC-10s and are crisper up top. At the same time they extend much deeper. For example in big synth intro to The Weeknd's Blinding Light, you can distinctly hear the low bass part under the synth with the Q150s. It sound full and meaty. With the RC-10s it was there, but attenuated, lacked authority and sort of blended in. On the other side, the high end of the synths was clear and bright with the Q150s, almost a touch too much. The RC-10s smoothed over the synth's high end a tad which i preferred. Of course being a synth, there's no right or wrong so who's to say which is more accurate. (I play with a lot of synths, btw, i've spent hours tweaking a filter on a single note. ha)

I then played St. Vincent's piano version of Los Ageless and Vagabond's Water Me Down. These female vocal centered songs sounded rich and smooth on the RC-10s, but just a little more clear and open on the Q150s. The deeper piano notes and the bass in Water Me Down were fuller on the Q150s.

Then i decided to play some songs with fuller range so i played Fleetwood Mac's Dreams and Steely Dan's Aja. Both are excellent recordings and the Q150s really just gave them a hifi sort of sound. Clear and crisp and full range. The part of Aja with the sax solo on top of the drum solo was really clear and punchy on the Q150s, where things blurred just a tiny bit with the RC-10s and lacked the oomph.

Then i wanted a modern fun song so i played Billy Eilish's Bad Guy. The Q150s really thump in the intro and put her voice right in your head. Interesting, the RC-10s made her voice sound just a little boxy.

The last song i played with focus was Between the Buried and Me's Voice of Trespass. They're a metal band, but not a stretch from prog rock and often mix in jazz elements. In additional to the usual, this song also has horns and piano and lots of little show tunesy piano riffs. It's weird but awesome. With so much going on, things can get a little muddy and they did, just a bit, with the RC-10s. The Q150s kept the different instruments distinct and put the vocals more outfront. All while hammering out more bass withe kick drum.

After that i sorta got sick of comparing and just kept finding new songs on Tidal to try the Q150s on. These are great speakers. Come to think of it, probably the best i've ever owned. They have a really broad range, great clarity, great accuracy. I wouldn't need a sub with these in my office. I've read that the Q150s are laid back compared to other KEF speakers. If so, i like these how they are and wouldn't want more high end.

I'd say they have the RC-10s licked in every way, except if you were looking for a laid back speaker that tends to smooth things out. I've read that the RC-10s are good jazz speakers and i can see that. Their mids are nice and have a warm quality. Winner KEF Q150s!


Next up: KEF Q150s vs Elac Debut 2.0 5.2
psuKinger, spinnin and Lp85253 like this.

Last edited by TXBDan; 04-26-2020 at 11:53 AM.
TXBDan is offline  
post #44 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 11,402
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mertz View Post
Related to speaker reviews at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...x.php?reviews/ keep in mind that clearly the focus is on measurements. Listening tests are sometimes literally 8 sentences long. A short paragraph is laughable to establish any level of detail about how a speaker actually sounds. That is not even remotely close to a proper listening review. Technical/measurement review site? Yes. Decision-making material? Absolutely not.


That is not intended as a hit against the reviewer, the website is clearly geared more to measurements, I'd just hate to have someone make a decision based on a "review" like those posted there.
It’s also Amir. Anyone here long enough remember the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray wars will remember him because he very involved with HD-DVD when he was at Microsoft and let’s just say he likes to use science for a lot of things and I am just not a huge fan. Assuming his measurements are accurate and not bias in any way, it’s useful information but as others said you have to listen with your ears and in your room. The room and placement will have a big effect on any speaker you buy, just because a speaker measures flat in a “test” does not mean it will in your room.

Learn to use REW and play around with placement, EQ, and sound treatments where possible. If your listening nearfield that does help.
Lp85253 and Gary Mertz like this.
ack_bk is offline  
post #45 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 21,419
Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10177 Post(s)
Liked: 7207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
Here's the current scoop. The NAD D 3045 i ordered is lost in the mail somewhere. Who knows when it'll show up, but Fedex can't find it. So i set up my old Denon AVR-1913 down in the basement where i decided to do the testing.
The Denon 1913 is one year newer than my 1912 which replaced a VERY expensive NAD pre HDMI surround receiver that failed far too quickly.

The Denon sounded every bit as good as the NAD.

Not a NAD basher as my NAD based music system in my secondary room has been going great for 30+ years.

Listening to it right now.
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #46 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 21,419
Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10177 Post(s)
Liked: 7207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
Energy RC-10 vs KEF Q150
I spent the second half of yesterday and earlier today comparing these two. Right off the bat you can tell the KEFs play both higher and deeper. They are not laid back compared to the RC-10s and are crisper up top. At the same time they extend much deeper. For example in big synth intro to The Weeknd's Blinding Light, you can distinctly hear the low bass part under the synth with the Q150s. It sound full and meaty. With the RC-10s it was there, but attenuated, lacked authority and sort of blended in. On the other side, the high end of the synths was clear and bright with the Q150s, almost a touch too much. The RC-10s smoothed over the synth's high end a tad which i preferred. Of course being a synth, there's no right or wrong so who's to say which is more accurate. (I play with a lot of synths, btw, i've spent hours tweaking a filter on a single note. ha)

I then played St. Vincent's piano version of Los Ageless and Vagabond's Water Me Down. These female vocal centered songs sounded rich and smooth on the RC-10s, but just a little more clear and open on the Q150s. The deeper piano notes and the bass in Water Me Down were fuller on the Q150s.

Then i decided to play some songs with fuller range so i played Fleetwood Mac's Dreams and Steely Dan's Aja. Both are excellent recordings and the Q150s really just gave them a hifi sort of sound. Clear and crisp and full range. The part of Aja with the sax solo on top of the drum solo was really clear and punchy on the Q150s, where things blurred just a tiny bit with the RC-10s and lacked the oomph.

Then i wanted a modern fun song so i played Billy Eilish's Bad Guy. The Q150s really thump in the intro and put her voice right in your head. Interesting, the RC-10s made her voice sound just a little boxy.

The last song i played with focus was Between the Buried and Me's Voice of Trespass. They're a metal band, but not a stretch from prog rock and often mix in jazz elements. In additional to the usual, this song also has horns and piano and lots of little show tunesy piano riffs. It's weird but awesome. With so much going on, things can get a little muddy and they did, just a bit, with the RC-10s. The Q150s kept the different instruments distinct and put the vocals more outfront. All while hammering out more bass withe kick drum.

After that i sorta got sick of comparing and just kept finding new songs on Tidal to try the Q150s on. These are great speakers. Come to think of it, probably the best i've ever owned. They have a really broad range, great clarity, great accuracy. I wouldn't need a sub with these in my office. I've read that the Q150s are laid back compared to other KEF speakers. If so, i like these how they are and wouldn't want more high end.

I'd say they have the RC-10s licked in every way, except if you were looking for a laid back speaker that tends to smooth things out. I've read that the RC-10s are good jazz speakers and i can see that. Their mids are nice and have a warm quality. Winner KEF Q150s!


Next up: KEF Q150s vs Elac Debut 2.0 5.2
Nice job.

Will the speakers you choose be used with a sub or standalone?

If with a sub I'd just eliminate anything under 60hz moving forward by setting them to "small" with that crossover point even if you leave the sub turned off or not even hooked up.
aarons915 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #47 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aarons915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
Energy RC-10 vs KEF Q150

After that i sorta got sick of comparing and just kept finding new songs on Tidal to try the Q150s on. These are great speakers. Come to think of it, probably the best i've ever owned. They have a really broad range, great clarity, great accuracy. I wouldn't need a sub with these in my office. I've read that the Q150s are laid back compared to other KEF speakers. If so, i like these how they are and wouldn't want more high end.
Nice comparison, when I had the LS50 and Q150 together, I initially picked the Q150 over them, they really are great speakers, especially in the budget range, I chose them over some very good speakers. I ultimately went with the LS50 because the cabinet is awesome and I felt like something was slightly missing in the highs in the Q150 after awhile. In reality I think the ideal neutral response is somewhere in between the Q150 and LS50, I now have some EQ taming the 2-5k region in the LS50 and they sound about perfect.
BufordTJustice and Lp85253 like this.
aarons915 is online now  
post #48 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 01:30 PM
Member
 
GordonGekko99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I wouldn't take that website very seriously if I were you.

1. Anybody who claims that this hobby can be "science" is full of sh*t pushing their own agenda, or hopelessly simple-minded. Certain "objective" criteria can be applied to separate the indisputably BAD speakers from the good to excellent ones, but most of what makes one person prefer one speaker over another is 100% SUBJECTIVE personal tastes in both sound and their particular usage habits (whether they listen at low, medium or high volumes; whether they're doing mostly HT/TV or music, and if music then what specific genres they listen to).

2. Anybody who actually believes that measurements are anything more than a STARTING POINT in the speaker selection process is hopelessly simple-minded. Further, measurements can easily be fudged and/or screwed up depending on the conditions under which they're taken. Just like most specs, there is no industry wide standard or watchdog regulatory body to make sure that everybody is playing with the same toys. Again, many grains of salt.

3. I have owned the Ascend 170SE, and I have heard plenty of "bright" speakers. I despise "bright" speakers, other than for HT usage...for music, they are a form of torture as far as my ears are concerned. The 170SE are *not* bright, nowhere in the same league of "bright" as entry-level Klipsch, Polk, or Def Tech. I'd call them "neutral" bordering on "clinical"---a speaker that rewards a really good recording and ruthlessly reveals a poor one.

The fact that the reviewer provides zero commentary on how the 170SE actually *sounds* to his ears with any specific pieces of music, speaks volumes. Then he stupidly uses the infamously warm-and-wooly but mid-bass heavy Pioneer BS22 as a comparison in full channel mode...well DOH, guess which one is going to sound "better?" The 170SE like the 200SE were both designed to be used WITH a subwoofer...that's why it has much higher sensitivity than the Pioneer. A large part of my motivation for getting rid of them was a desire for a more forgiving speaker since much of my listening is with lossy streaming music.

Based on all of the above, I would happily trust these people's independent measurements of the 170SE over that of the ASR guy:
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/mea...ascend_cbm170/
Zorba, what is your all time favorite speaker in the department of handling your lossy streaming music, it is an important category because I don't listen to high end Tidal like recordings, thanks.
GordonGekko99 is offline  
post #49 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 01:34 PM
Member
 
GordonGekko99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
I really like the P3's design and size. Reviews are nice as well.. Pretty damn tempting actually, i'll bump them ahead of the Wharfedales as next up to buy.
I can't remember where I read this, but someone wrote that the Q Acoustics 3030 i's, $399 a pair on Amazon, had a top notch imaging and soundstage or whatever the proper term is, actually I found the exact message from a poster on another site:

Quote:
the new Q Acoustics 3030i is a show stopper at $399 a pair. You like an open speaker with a big soundstage these are the speakers, they really have detached out of the box sound....

Last edited by GordonGekko99; 04-26-2020 at 01:39 PM.
GordonGekko99 is offline  
post #50 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,361
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
Nice comparison, when I had the LS50 and Q150 together, I initially picked the Q150 over them, they really are great speakers, especially in the budget range, I chose them over some very good speakers. I ultimately went with the LS50 because the cabinet is awesome and I felt like something was slightly missing in the highs in the Q150 after awhile. In reality I think the ideal neutral response is somewhere in between the Q150 and LS50, I now have some EQ taming the 2-5k region in the LS50 and they sound about perfect.
i'm finding more and more that's were (2-5k hz) bright lives.. i adjust the cbm170's in that region and can take them from "bright" (arguably) to warm(arguably) and not lose much clarity...
aarons915 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #51 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
[B]Energy RC-10 vs KEF Q150

After that i sorta got sick of comparing and just kept finding new songs on Tidal to try the Q150s on. These are great speakers. Come to think of it, probably the best i've ever owned. They have a really broad range, great clarity, great accuracy. I wouldn't need a sub with these in my office. I've read that the Q150s are laid back compared to other KEF speakers. If so, i like these how they are and wouldn't want more high end.
Great thread! Nothing like another good shootout with a nice variety of different speakers. Can't wait to read how the rest of the comparisons go.

Having owned both the q100s and q150s, I wouldn't exactly say the 150s have less high end. Its just more that the upper mids and lower highs (I specifically remember guitar, piano, and voices) are quite a bit more 'out in front' if you will on the q100s, whereas those same sounds are a bit more recessed (although still there) on the q150s in comparison. Both are certainly very smooth.
Lp85253 and Gary Mertz like this.
D33vious is offline  
post #52 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16,609
Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9586 Post(s)
Liked: 7405
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko99 View Post
Zorba, what is your all time favorite speaker in the department of handling your lossy streaming music, it is an important category because I don't listen to high end Tidal like recordings, thanks.
Probably the very "warm" Wharfedale 10.1 --- but bear in mind I listen to a lot of midrange-dominant, lower tempo, simple-compositional music.

But if I were, let's say, a hard rock listener I would probably want more dynamics and would be more likely to find those same Wharfedales to be "veiled."

Speakers that are better described as "neutral with a touch of warmth" would be more appealing to people who listen to a wider range of genres.

For instance: Emotiva, Chane, Hsu HB/HC-1, Q Acoustics.

Of those 4 I'd say the Emotiva offer the best bang for the buck, but all 4 are quite reasonably priced and some folks don't like the futuristic styling of the Emotivas.
BufordTJustice likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #53 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 01:45 PM
Member
 
GordonGekko99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
As stated use your favorite music ... and do not let the forum drive you stir crazy on how you audition ... on a side note from your new list, there is one set of speakers that I packed and sent back fast, so I will keep an eye out on your take of that set. ... enjoy the adventure!
Let me test my memory, the NHT's, correct?
GordonGekko99 is offline  
post #54 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,361
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Probably the very "warm" Wharfedale 10.1 --- but bear in mind I listen to a lot of midrange-dominant, lower tempo, simple-compositional music.

But if I were, let's say, a hard rock listener I would probably want more dynamics and would be more likely to find those same Wharfedales to be "veiled."

Speakers that are better described as "neutral with a touch of warmth" would be more appealing to people who listen to a wider range of genres.

For instance: Emotiva, Chane, Hsu HB/HC-1, Q Acoustics.

Of those 4 I'd say the Emotiva offer the best bang for the buck, but all 4 are quite reasonably priced and some folks don't like the futuristic styling of the Emotivas.
emotiva is the perfect example.. we both own(ed) both .. they have some similarities , but the emo's are more revealing in the treble frequencies and have a bit more dynamic sound..
Zorba922 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #55 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,361
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko99 View Post
Let me test my memory, the NHT's, correct?
i can tell you that's not the one.. i remember what it was vividly .. he will reveal it after testing i'm sure ...edit: the nht's have had very little play here.. and i think many (including it seems you) are going to be *very * surprised as to how they fare...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #56 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i'm finding more and more that's were (2-5k hz) bright lives.. i adjust the cbm170's in that region and can take them from "bright" (arguably) to warm(arguably) and not lose much clarity...
I'm with you there. I really don't hear any fatigue with the polk lsim703s and their graph shows elevation in the much higher frequencies (around 10k and up iirc). I never really tried that hard to tame the q100s specifically in the 2-5k hz range. I wonder how well that can be achieved.
Lp85253 likes this.
D33vious is offline  
post #57 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aarons915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
I'm with you there. I really don't hear any fatigue with the polk lsim703s and their graph shows elevation in the much higher frequencies (around 10k and up iirc). I never really tried that hard to tame the q100s specifically in the 2-5k hz range. I wonder how well that can be achieved.
That range is ok based on the ASR review, I would import the listening window and early reflections into REW and mess around with the 5-10k range, taking the minimal amount off to flatten the listening window, I'd take a bit out of the 700-1k region too, that makes voices sound a bit "nasally".
Lp85253 likes this.
aarons915 is online now  
post #58 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,361
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
I'm with you there. I really don't hear any fatigue with the polk lsim703s and their graph shows elevation in the much higher frequencies (around 10k and up iirc). I never really tried that hard to tame the q100s specifically in the 2-5k hz range. I wonder how well that can be achieved.
I have done it with some success but it's a bit more problematic than the ascends..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #59 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 19,313
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked: 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko99 View Post
Let me test my memory, the NHT's, correct?
No, not the NHT C1
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #60 of 579 Old 04-26-2020, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TXBDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Based on some preliminary listening, I bet it’s the Elacs.
TXBDan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off