Ascendo Immersive Audio Speaker System Hands-On Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By wolverin1
  • 1 Post By imagic

post #1 of 12 Old 04-27-2020, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 468 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9481 Post(s)
Liked: 16837
Ascendo Immersive Audio Speaker System Hands-On Review

Ascendo GmbH was founded in 1999 and builds performance-first gear that’s ideal for high-end custom home theater installations. Check out this hands-on review of a 2.1 system consisting of two CCRM12 coaxial active speakers and one SMS21 21" ported subwoofer.

chriscmore likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-27-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-28-2020, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Ascendo GmbH was founded in 1999 and builds performance-first gear that’s ideal for high-end custom home theater installations. Check out this hands-on review of a 2.1 system consisting of two CCRM12 coaxial active speakers and one SMS21 21" ported subwoofer.

Thats a great review, thanks for your insight about the product
I was actually looking for an upgrade to Ascendo speakers, but I was very concerned about how these speakers work for a stereo setup as well. I have a dedicated HT room with acoustics done, also I cant get to convince my better half to get me another room exclusive for stereo setup

The dealers reply only positive for all my queries so I had a doubt and didnt think about it for awhile now, also I never had a chance to talk to a owner of these speakers. I can say this review was right on time for me
I want to confirm again with you and also any other Ascendo owners, how good are these speakers for stereo listening as well. I was planning to get Focal SopraNo2, if its Ascendo I will go for CCRM6-P, how can we compare these two brands/models ?
Thank you again for a great review and thank you all for reading
Cheers
Aditya
post #3 of 12 Old 04-30-2020, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 547
I got to know Ascendo last year only. I wished it had been a bit earlier since I had been on the look to improve the bass area in my homecinema since a while. However 2 of my friends had installed speakers from Ascendo for their homecinemas so I became aware of that company. To cut the story short: installation and setup of my SMSG15 subwoofer was done by a qualified pro and made use of Ascendo's network and DSP technology. The end result far exceeded my exspectation for precision and bass power at the same time. Yes, I think Ascendo's speakers are very good. However there are other good ones as well. I am using speakers from Piega, a Swiss manufacturer (mainly Coax series which is handmade - its production needs years of experience and therefore not be copied by those cheep Chinese massproduction facilities). Piega's subwoofers are just solid and mainstream and therefore nothing special. Ascendo speakers are IMO very good speakers as well. However what makes Ascendo unique and great choice is their technology. I think you can't get a better technology and setup in your homecinema than the AIA technology. At least I do not know any better.

https://www.aia-cinema.com/tech/technology.html

It's a shame there seems so little interest and feedback here. When you are looking out to buy these speakers I would buy the active versions and I would make sure to have them installed and set up by a professional who knows the technology and how to handle it.

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.” Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian inventor, architect, artist, mathematician, scientist

Last edited by *Mori*; 04-30-2020 at 06:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-30-2020, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mori* View Post
I got to know Ascendo last year only. I wished it had been a bit earlier since I had been on the look to improve the bass area in my homecinema since a while. However 2 of my friends had installed speakers from Ascendo for their homecinemas so I became aware of that company. To cut the story short: installation and setup of my SMSG15 subwoofer was done by a qualified pro and made use of Ascendo's network and DSP technology. The end result far exceeded my exspectation for precision and bass power at the same time. Yes, I think Ascendo's speakers are very good. However there are other good ones as well. I am using speakers from Piega, a Swiss manufacturer (mainly Coax series which is handmade - its production needs years of experience and therefore not be copied by those cheep Chinese massproduction facilities). Piega's subwoofers are just solid and mainstream and therefore nothing special. Ascendo speakers are IMO very good speakers as well. However what makes Ascendo unique and great choice is their technology. I think you can't get a better technology and setup in your homecinema than the AIA technology. At least I do not know any better.

https://www.aia-cinema.com/tech/technology.html

It's a shame there seems so little interest and feedback here. When you are looking out to buy these speakers I would buy the active versions and I would make sure to have them installed and set up by a professional who knows the technology and how to handle it.
You summarize it all quite well here.
*Mori* likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5 of 12 Old 04-30-2020, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 494
I like your thoughts on a stable center image! Thanks!

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #6 of 12 Old 05-01-2020, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi,
I enjoyed the review !
Its nice to see that active speakers are getting more and more recognition lately.

These Ascendo are pricey speakers, sure, but there are a lot of other choices if you want active speakers, what you probably know as "studio active monitors". don't mind the "studio" part, you can use it just fine at home.

I had various passives over the years and I decided to try active and went with bookshelf Tannoys as mains for HT (a pair cost me about $500), and I can't see myself wishing/needing to go back to passives in the future.. the quality of sound you can achieve with actives is absolutely insane. phantom center is clear and convincing, human vocals have great clarity, movie soundtracks and effects are much better handled.

Mark,
you didnt want to get much into movies you watched, but I will be glad to read your opinion with some regard to the differences between sound quality of audyssey 32 & trinnov with some movies. yes, I get that trinnov is great, but was the difference that noticeable for you ? if so then in which aspects ?

Thanks
dnoonie likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-01-2020, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverin1 View Post
Hi,
I enjoyed the review !
Its nice to see that active speakers are getting more and more recognition lately.

These Ascendo are pricey speakers, sure, but there are a lot of other choices if you want active speakers, what you probably know as "studio active monitors". don't mind the "studio" part, you can use it just fine at home.

I had various passives over the years and I decided to try active and went with bookshelf Tannoys as mains for HT (a pair cost me about $500), and I can't see myself wishing/needing to go back to passives in the future.. the quality of sound you can achieve with actives is absolutely insane. phantom center is clear and convincing, human vocals have great clarity, movie soundtracks and effects are much better handled.

Mark,
you didnt want to get much into movies you watched, but I will be glad to read your opinion with some regard to the differences between sound quality of audyssey 32 & trinnov with some movies. yes, I get that trinnov is great, but was the difference that noticeable for you ? if so then in which aspects ?

Thanks
Yes sure. I think the Trinnov is much more "tweakable" and so for a hyper-critical dedicated home theater custom install you can surely achieve a more refined result.

But practically speaking? I'd say the "biggest difference" is probably how much more accurate the Trinnov mic is vs. the plastic mic Denon ships with. The end result does not seem substantially different, aside from the usual variations you'd expect in each set of measurements, etc. Both systems try and correct the same things, it seems, and get you to roughly the same place if you just want a generic room correction.
wolverin1 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 12 Old 05-04-2020, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Nice write up. Expanding on your Audyssey notes - I would love to hear comparisons between XT32, Dirac and Trinnov. Ive been using Audyssey for years and the last year I’ve been going back and forth on full range and limited and have decided limited is a must for movie playback especially with DEQ engaged.

OLED65B7P/ OPPO UDP-203/ DENON X4300H/ Emotiva 5175/ Emotiva A-300/ Klipsch RP 440c/ Klipsch RP 250f/ Klipsch RP 240s x4/ Klipsch RP 140sa/ Dual SVS PC-2000 Pro/ Auralex Mopad riser for center channel/

Last edited by rosstg; 05-06-2020 at 10:17 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-04-2020, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstg View Post
Nice write up. Expanding on your Audyssey notes - I would love to hear comparisons between XT32, Dirac and Trinnov. Ive been using Audyssey for years and the last year I’ve been going back and forth on full range and limited and have decided full range is a must for movie playback especially with DEQ engaged.
Going along with this, @imagic , have you ever played around with an Anthem AVR/AVP? It would be interesting to see how you like ARC...
post #10 of 12 Old 05-06-2020, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Going along with this, @imagic , have you ever played around with an Anthem AVR/AVP? It would be interesting to see how you like ARC...
I have not used Arc.

I’ve been using the Editor App for Audyssey so I can limit correction to 500hz. XT32 works very well on low frequencies. I edited my above response, I meant limited correction is a must.

OLED65B7P/ OPPO UDP-203/ DENON X4300H/ Emotiva 5175/ Emotiva A-300/ Klipsch RP 440c/ Klipsch RP 250f/ Klipsch RP 240s x4/ Klipsch RP 140sa/ Dual SVS PC-2000 Pro/ Auralex Mopad riser for center channel/
post #11 of 12 Old 05-06-2020, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
I liked ARC a lot. I'm especially fond of how detailed the graphs are and (when running the PC app) how granular the configuration/adjustments are.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #12 of 12 Old 05-06-2020, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I liked ARC a lot. I'm especially fond of how detailed the graphs are and (when running the PC app) how granular the configuration/adjustments are.
How does Arc compare to XT32 limited to bass frequencies?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
ascendo , ascendo immersive audio , ccrm12 , sms21 , speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page