New HT setup: limited to in-ceiling. ELAC DT61s? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dawn Gordon

post #1 of 8 Old 05-11-2020, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New HT setup: limited to in-ceiling. ELAC DT61s?

Hello!

I hope I can get some helpful advice from those that have experience with ELAC speakers, specifically with the inceiling DT61 and D61-W's. I've been recommended them by several retailers/dealers, but I want a user's perspective.

I know in-ceilings are not ideal. But seriously, it's my only option. So, I'm going to make the best of it!

What the room is like:
I am finishing construction on a new home. The living room is 16x14' with 11.5' ceilings. The left side of the room opens up into the dining room, which has 8.5' ceilings (the living room is the only high ceiling). In the living room, there will be an in-ceiling motorized projector screen located against a wall of windows. The screen has a 45" black drop to bring it down to viewing-height. Obviously, the challenge is to create the feeling of the sound coming from the screen. I know in-ceilings are not ideal, but again it's my only option. I was told that the angled ELAC DT61-W's would be great for my fronts and the D61's for the rear. I'll also need a sub. In the adjacent dining room, I'm going to put in two in-ceiling speakers for music and was thinking the D61's.

For those with experience with these speakers, what do you think of this setup? I was ready to pull the trigger until someone said the ELACs might sound a bit flat in my space. Then, another person challenged that and said they'd be excellent. I know sound is subjective, but all feedback/experience is appreciated. I've also looked at the RSL C34's but the angle isn't as good on them, but could maybe do them in the dining room.
Also, what would you recommend for a sub? for a receiver?

Thank you so much! Look forward to your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-12-2020, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Depending on your budget there are better options out there. The DT61 has an angle of only 30 degrees. Other companies such as Triad have InCeiling speakers set at 45 degrees. A greater angle will help to direct the sound down to the listening position so it sounds like it's coming directly from the screen.

Triad has several models that can do this very well. The least expensive one ($400 each MSRP) is listed below:

https://www.control4.com/docs/produc...heet-rev-a.pdf

Triad will also paint match the speaker to your ceiling color.

Another company that makes this type of speaker is Definitive Technology.

[email protected]
post #3 of 8 Old 05-12-2020, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
Depending on your budget there are better options out there. The DT61 has an angle of only 30 degrees. Other companies such as Triad have InCeiling speakers set at 45 degrees. A greater angle will help to direct the sound down to the listening position so it sounds like it's coming directly from the screen.

Triad has several models that can do this very well. The least expensive one ($400 each MSRP) is listed below:

https://www.control4.com/docs/produc...heet-rev-a.pdf

Triad will also paint match the speaker to your ceiling color.

Another company that makes this type of speaker is Definitive Technology.
Thank you so much for your reply and recommendation. Do you have experience with the inceiling ELACs?

I'm sure the Triads are really nice speakers, but they're also more expensive than I budgeted. In my living room, i need 3 angled-fronts and the 2 rears, and then 2 in-ceilings for the dining room. Those Triads are also a bit larger than I had planned for...

With an 11.5 foot ceiling, i'm estimating a viewing height of 2-2.5 feet. Distance from front speakers to viewer is probably around 9-10 feet. I think anywhere from a 30-45 degree angle should be sufficient.

I don't know anything about Definitive Technology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-12-2020, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not familiar with Elac speakers. I can tell you that the prices I quoted are MSRP and both Triad and Definitive are discounted.

[email protected]
post #5 of 8 Old 05-12-2020, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Elac speakers. I can tell you that the prices I quoted are MSRP and both Triad and Definitive are discounted.
I see... Can you direct message me with your recommendations and pricing for my setup?
post #6 of 8 Old 05-12-2020, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can't really do that kind of thing on AVS, as it's not allowed. Just send me an email and I'll try to help.
jw131313 likes this.

[email protected]
post #7 of 8 Old 05-13-2020, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can't really do that kind of thing on AVS, as it's not allowed. Just send me an email and I'll try to help.
sent you a message!

Also, hoping I can hear about others' experiences with the ELAC in-ceiling speakers or other similar options.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-13-2020, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I never received it. Go ahead and PM me here and I'll give you my email there.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page