2Likes
  • 2 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 8 Old 05-12-2020, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
energy center speaker

I have Energy Take 5.1 speakers, which I am happy with. The center is an Energy CC-5. I have to replace it (someone damaged it). Would upgrade to Energy CC-10 be compatible with the original front and rear speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-12-2020, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9522 Post(s)
Liked: 7339
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie2.0 View Post
I have Energy Take 5.1 speakers, which I am happy with. The center is an Energy CC-5. I have to replace it (someone damaged it). Would upgrade to Energy CC-10 be compatible with the original front and rear speakers?
ANY center speaker will be "compatible"---especially if you're just using the center for HT/TV not multi-channel music. The question is how good of a center the CC10 is...does it provide effortless voice clarity (so that you don't have to keep turning up the volume to understand dialogue) and tonal realism (do male voices sound "male" or do they sound like chipmunks?).

I'd get the CC-10 if you were 100% happy with the CC-5 and have a good return option behind it.

If not, I'd spend an extra $150 to get an Emotiva C1.

The center does 70-80% of the HT output and 99% of the dialogue, so it's the true backbone of any HT setup...it's the last place I would take any chances or cut corners.
tcramer and smithsabom like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 8 Old 05-13-2020, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Energy Center Speaker

Thanks Zorba.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-03-2020, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
ANY center speaker will be "compatible"---especially if you're just using the center for HT/TV not multi-channel music. The question is how good of a center the CC10 is...does it provide effortless voice clarity (so that you don't have to keep turning up the volume to understand dialogue) and tonal realism (do male voices sound "male" or do they sound like chipmunks?).

I'd get the CC-10 if you were 100% happy with the CC-5 and have a good return option behind it.

If not, I'd spend an extra $150 to get an Emotiva C1.

The center does 70-80% of the HT output and 99% of the dialogue, so it's the true backbone of any HT setup...it's the last place I would take any chances or cut corners.
In a post I can't find now I asked about NHT Super Center vs. RSL C23. You commented there have been issues with the NHT Center (something along those lines). Could you elaborate. I am now deciding between NHT SuperZero and Center vs. RSL CG3 and CG23. The NHT is better on paper but we don't listen to paper. I will "test drive" both unless there is other info to consider. (BTW, have you ever listened to the Martin Logan Motion 2i? I listened to the Motion 4i and liked it but I can't find the 2i in a store.)
post #5 of 8 Old 06-03-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
In a post I can't find now I asked about NHT Super Center vs. RSL C23. You commented there have been issues with the NHT Center (something along those lines). Could you elaborate. I am now deciding between NHT SuperZero and Center vs. RSL CG3 and CG23. The NHT is better on paper but we don't listen to paper. I will "test drive" both unless there is other info to consider. (BTW, have you ever listened to the Martin Logan Motion 2i? I listened to the Motion 4i and liked it but I can't find the 2i in a store.)
Well, the NHT and ML speakers are available from Amazon, which means they're easily returnable esp. if you're a Prime member.

RSL provides free return shipping for all its speakers.

The ML is also available at Crutchfield, IIRC, which means $10 flat rate returns.

If you require small size but want the fewest compromises, I'd suggest the Ascend 200SE...but you'd have to pay for return shipping.

Easiest thing and best bet would be to go with full sized speakers, 5.25" woofer or larger. No getting around the laws of physics.

For the $470 which an RSL CG23 plus 2 x CG3, you could get for example a pair of Emotiva B1+ with C1+ center for $450 which would kill all of the speakers above.

PS. The Emotivas have similar AMT tweeters as the MLs, just not the pretty cabinets and inflated pricetags.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 8 Old 06-03-2020, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, the NHT and ML speakers are available from Amazon, which means they're easily returnable esp. if you're a Prime member.

RSL provides free return shipping for all its speakers.

The ML is also available at Crutchfield, IIRC, which means $10 flat rate returns.

If you require small size but want the fewest compromises, I'd suggest the Ascend 200SE...but you'd have to pay for return shipping.

Easiest thing and best bet would be to go with full sized speakers, 5.25" woofer or larger. No getting around the laws of physics.

For the $470 which an RSL CG23 plus 2 x CG3, you could get for example a pair of Emotiva B1+ with C1+ center for $450 which would kill all of the speakers above.

PS. The Emotivas have similar AMT tweeters as the MLs, just not the pretty cabinets and inflated pricetags.
I am really now focusing specifically on whether there is something about the NHT super center. (I am available for private email if you prefer.) I've seen the ascend mentioned and will look at emotivas. Thanks. Considering the last speakers I bought was in 2003 I'm not going to let $20 drive my decision.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-03-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I am really now focusing specifically on whether there is something about the NHT super center.
All I can tell you is, I'd guesstimate close to half of the folks who've tried them and reported on this forum, are not thrilled shall we say.

If you want to take your chances, that's what return policies are for.

If you're dead set on the SuperZeros because of their pricing, I'd sooner take a single NHT C1 as your center if you believe in the "timbre matching" hoo-ha.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-03-2020, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
All I can tell you is, I'd guesstimate close to half of the folks who've tried them and reported on this forum, are not thrilled shall we say.

If you want to take your chances, that's what return policies are for.

If you're dead set on the SuperZeros because of their pricing, I'd sooner take a single NHT C1 as your center if you believe in the "timbre matching" hoo-ha.
Perfect. Best info yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page