Q Acoustics 3050 or Polk S55 / 60 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #31 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10181 Post(s)
Liked: 7214
[quote=ManFromGouda;59659048]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post

Nice! It's a little bit typical but biking is something you learn here when you're a small child and will do mostly the rest of your time.
Now with the electric bikes, there are a lot of elder people joining the road again and it's getting even more crowded!

Did you like you time in The Netherlands? I've been many times in the States and it's my favorite country to visit.
I find American people really nice and open, we Europeans are more reserved and to our selfs I guess.
I went to High School in Belgium and while I enjoyed Amsterdam, I think I'd have enjoyed a smaller city more as Amsterdam is a bit chaotic and shockingly filthy.

There are no obvious garbage cans around the City so the streets are littered with cigarette butts.

Didn't see a HiFi shop either!

I'm not originally from the US; born in Brazil to UK parents, then Colombia, then horrific boarding school in the UK with my brother at age 7while the rest of the family was in Colombia, then the salvation of my Dad getting transferred to New York rather than London.

To say moving to the States was magnificent would be an understatement; I hated the UK "public school" system.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
I believe Ryan was referring to the LPF for LFE setting. That's the .1 lfe channel only, nothing to do with the crossover to the speakers. The .1 track contains information up to 120hz. If you set that to 80hz , for example, the receiver is tapering the upper limit of the LFE track between 80hz and 120hz. It's not a brick wall like it is above 120hz.
I didn't want to confuse the OP by even bringing that "never seen by most" AVR setting.

Geoff A. J., California
post #33 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManFromGouda View Post

The center speaker will be a next project: searching for a center speaker with max. 6.5 inch height and budget from 200 to 300 EUR / US dollar.
Any ideas?

What do you think about my orginal goal? I am watching lots of action packed movies, will I get a more in-your-face experience with the new front speakers?
I am hoping for a more bombastic, full sound experience.

Thanks for all your help mate!
I would get the Q Acoustics center or the Concept center.

As to whether or not the 3050s will provide you with an "in your face" experience that's hard to tell as often that means a more forward/bright speaker like Klipsch!

I don't have forward/bright speakers and they are fantastic for movies so I think you should be fine unless you simply don't like the sound.

Your subwoofer is similar but a bit more powerful than what I have in my secondary room; yours is a ported 8" w/ 150 watts max power mine are 8" w/ 100 watt max power but I have two of them and they do indeed dig down to the 27-28hz your sub is rated for but not enough to "rattle" any windows though they do make the fireplace tools rattle.

For real window rattling "in your face" extension you'd need a subwoofer that hits to 20hz or so like those from XTZ or BK Electronics...or SVS if those are available in the Netherlands.

Geoff A. J., California

Last edited by gajCA; 05-17-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9596 Post(s)
Liked: 7422
Quote:
So I am limited to about 6.5 inch / 17 centimeters maximum for a center speaker.

I have to say, the Klipsch RP-600c is a little bit too high priced also.
But again, it won't fit in the cabinet so that's out of the picture unfortunately.
f it were me, I'd do ANYTHING it takes to make room for a really good center:

1. Prop the TV up on something to make more room
2. Move the TV up if it's wall mounted
3. Get a whole new media cabinet that has room for a DECENT center speaker (7-9 inches height)
4. Get a center speaker stand and put the center just in front of the media stand, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sanus-SFC22-B...+speaker+stand

If you can squeeze in 6.8" the slightly smaller RP-500C would fit.

You could always try the RP-404C which is 5.7" tall --- it has FOUR 4" woofers instead of two like the QA centers. This I would try if you can get an easy return policy.

The simplest solution though would be #4 even if it's not aesthetically ideal.

For "in your face" sound I would use Klipsch speakers over QA, but as long as you've got a Klipsch center you'll be ok because it's the center that does most of the output not the front L/R.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #35 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
For "in your face" sound I would use Klipsch speakers over QA, but as long as you've got a Klipsch center you'll be ok because it's the center that does most of the output not the front L/R.
I figured in-your-face and action movies, is more big rattling sound. Dialog is not really something action movies excel in.
On second thought, you do need a good center to hear what they paid a screenwriter $5 to accompany the explosions

Last edited by AlexLac; 05-17-2020 at 09:25 AM.
post #36 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
I figured in-your-face and action movies, is more big rattling sound. Dialog is not really something action movies excel in.
On second thought, you do need a good center to hear what they paid a screenwriter $5 to accompany the explosions
Yes, lol. You still don't want garbled dialogue, even in the most boneheaded explosion-fest action movies.

The center does almost all of the dialogue but it doesn't do ONLY dialogue.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #37 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, lol. You still don't want garbled dialogue, even in the most boneheaded explosion-fest action movies.

The center does almost all of the dialogue but it doesn't do ONLY dialogue.
For sure. I'm just not sure that's what he meant by in-your-face.
post #38 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 3862 Post(s)
Liked: 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
I would set the subwoofer's crossover (it appears as LFE in the settings menu) to 120Hz. Then, if there's a frequency knob on the back of the sub, turn that all the way to its max. The idea is for there to be a blend between your speakers and sub in order to eliminate sub localization (meaning, your ears picking up the exact location of your sub frequencies rather than the sub frequencies sounding like they're coming from all around you).
I set my Small LS50's at 100hz. His much larger towers will easily handle an 80hz setting which he can easily adjust if he's getting too much boundary reinforcement. Did you perhaps mean the LPF? That should be fine at 120hz.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #39 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Your subwoofer is similar but a bit more powerful than what I have in my secondary room; yours is a ported 8" w/ 150 watts max power mine are 8" w/ 100 watt max power but I have two of them and they do indeed dig down to the 27-28hz your sub is rated for but not enough to "rattle" any windows though they do make the fireplace tools rattle.

For real window rattling extension you'd need a subwoofer that hits to 20hz or so like those from XTZ or BK Electronics...or SVS if those are available in the Netherlands.
Wrong person. But yeah.
post #40 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Wrong person. But yeah.
Oops, sorry about that.
AlexLac likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #41 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Oops, sorry about that.
Heh, no worries!
post #42 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As to whether or not the 3050s will provide you with an "in your face" experience that's hard to tell as often that means a more forward/bright speaker like Klipsch!

I don't have forward/bright speakers and they are fantastic for movies so I think you should be fine unless you simply don't like the sound.
I'd take Concept 20's with a good sub (or two) over 3050's, but that's just me. YMMV.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #43 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I would take it to mean a more dynamic, detailed and aggressive speaker. Which Klipsch would certainly be, more than QA.
AlexLac likes this.

post #44 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I would take it to mean a more dynamic, detailed and aggressive speaker. Which Klipsch would certainly be, more than QA.
You certainly have more experience than I do hearing out what people are looking for over here. Even though I'm apparently a "senior member" now
Zorba922 likes this.
post #45 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Did you perhaps mean the LPF?
Yeah, I indicated that in the parentheses

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
post #46 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Having set up my Q650c ahead of getting my Q750s, I can also verify that my ears aren't hearing a lick of difference in timbre between the Polk mains/surrounds and KEF centre - and I haven't even re-calibrated yet.
When you get the Q750's setup and dialed in, switch out the Q650c for the Polk center just for the heck of it.
Ryan Statz likes this.

post #47 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
When you get the Q750's setup and dialed in, switch out the Q650c for the Polk center just for the heck of it.
Good idea! That would be an interesting experiment, indeed.

post #48 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I am very sorry all! I chosen my words poorly. At the moment I am using a pretty basic Onkyo 5.1 set.
The fronts are fine, but they have to work hard to deliver rather channeled, directed sound.

They are nowhere room filling, even considering my small room.
So I hope the 3050's will enhance my movie experience as a whole: I hope that's a better description.

Indeed, I am looking for a great experience with action packed movies. I liked the sound effects of Mad Max Fury Road or Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.
Opening scene of Terminator 2 for example.
post #49 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

For real window rattling "in your face" extension you'd need a subwoofer that hits to 20hz or so like those from XTZ or BK Electronics...or SVS if those are available in the Netherlands.
The Concept center (300 EUR) is here in The Netherlands almost twice as expensive as the 3090Ci (160 EUR).

I was looking at the 3090Ci but seen online much mixed reviews. Maybe I am giving it a try and see. I like the design and price is perfect.

Will it be a big problem to mix the 3090Ci with the non i 3050 version?

What I meant by the "in your face" experience quote: I am looking for an upgrade to have a better movie experience, compared to my basic current Onkyo setup.
More detail, room filling sound, for a nice price.
post #50 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I am very sorry all! I chosen my words poorly. At the moment I am using a pretty basic Onkyo 5.1 set.
The fronts are fine, but they have to work hard to deliver rather channeled, directed sound.

They are nowhere room filling, even considering my small room.
So I hope the 3050's will enhance my movie experience as a whole: I hope that's a better description.

Indeed, I am looking for a great experience with action packed movies. I liked the sound effects of Mad Max Fury Road or Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.
Opening scene of Terminator 2 for example.
Upgrading components should help you achieve that goal. Decent center will give you clarity for dialog and dynamics, the L/R floorstands should help with the rest. If you want more low end frequencies, you would need a decent subwoofer. Since you watch a lot of action movies, I think a subwoofer is a must.

Surrounds will add an extra Cinema effect as you'll have sound coming behind you or near you (rear or side). You can start with the old surrounds and see how that sounds (you can use either the L/R or Surrounds you have now). If you're not satisfied, you can upgraded later. The front sound is what matters most imo.

As others suggested you can go for small speakers for L/R and use a subwoofer to take care of the low end. But that may not save you much if you need stands for them (unless you can place them on the cabinet).

Maybe a picture of your current setup will give a better idea of what you're dealing with.
Quote:
I was looking at the 3090Ci but seen online much mixed reviews. Maybe I am giving it a try and see. I like the design and price is perfect.
You should be fine with the i version. It's the same center as the non-i version with some enhancements. If the room is small, it would probably be fine. If you have a return option, get it and see if it does what you want.

If you want to go with a more powerful center like the one Zorba suggested, you can raise the TV without mounting it too. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post59659382

Last edited by AlexLac; 05-17-2020 at 11:38 PM.
post #51 of 79 Old 05-17-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:

What I meant by the "in your face" experience quote: I am looking for an upgrade to have a better movie experience, compared to my basic current Onkyo setup.
How much do the QA 3020i and 3030i cost? If they cost the same or close to the 3090Ci, I would buy a pair and use one as the center instead of the 3090Ci.

post #52 of 79 Old 05-18-2020, 01:31 AM

Quote:
How much do the QA 3020i and 3030i cost? If they cost the same or close to the 3090Ci, I would buy a pair and use one as the center instead of the 3090Ci.
Some of the older non-i models are still available on both .nl and .uk (cheaper in UK), but it depends on the color:

https://www.amazon.nl/Q-Acoustics-30...dp/B00TR7JK7Q/
https://www.amazon.nl/Q-Acoustics-QA...dp/B00TS7BTBA/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acoustics-3...dp/B00TR7I1EY/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Q-Acoustics...dp/B00V6ADU0K/
Zorba922 likes this.
post #53 of 79 Old 05-18-2020, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Concept center (300 EUR) is here in The Netherlands almost twice as expensive as the 3090Ci (160 EUR).

The Q acoustics center is a little on the small side. If you're open to other suggestions, Canton make some very good speakers and are not very expensive in the EU. Worse case go with the QA 3050's and the Canton center. If budget permits, their Chrono line is another step up.

EDIT: The Canton GLE are front ported so they will favor near wall placement.
https://www.amazon.de/Canton-GLE-455...%2C220&sr=8-13
https://www.amazon.de/Canton-GLE-490...n+weiss&sr=8-5

Last edited by pase22; 05-18-2020 at 08:49 AM.
post #54 of 79 Old 05-18-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about mixing the "i" series with the prior series as the newer version is said to be a tiny bit brighter which is actually not a bad thing for a center.

The old center measured VERY well when test by a well respected magazine here in the States.

It's just not meant to be use in a very large room at high volumes as that is beyond the scope of the speaker size but in a regular room, (my dual 4" center is in a room that is about 12 meters by 4 meters for example), it'll get louder than you can bear.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...iew-test-bench

They tested the 3000i series too but oddly, no measurements that time but they did spend considerable time discussing the center:

"In the keystone position, Q Acoustics matches the towers with its 3090ci, a horizontal two-way center speaker that uses a pair of 4-inch woofers rather than the 6.5-inch units in the towers. On its own merits this is a very competent design, with clear, well-focused sound, though it was a little thinner on some male voices than many such dual-woofer centers, which I often find tend toward lower-mids excess and even over-fullness or “hoo.”

The 3090ci's crispness is not necessarily a demerit, but it made for a fairly sharp contrast with the 3050i towers. Comparing a range of announcers both male and female between centered- mono (3090ci) and dual-mono (tower pair) playback, all but a couple of higher-pitched female voices sound distinctly, even dramatically different on the center unit: brighter, with a more focused and prominent presence-range that tended to highlight different vocal formats to an easily noticeable degree."

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-review-page-2

Geoff A. J., California
post #55 of 79 Old 05-18-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
The Q acoustics center is a little on the small side. If you're open to other suggestions, Canton make some very good speakers and are not very expensive in the EU. Worse case go with the QA 3050's and the Canton center. If budget permits, their Chrono line is another step up.
https://www.amazon.de/Canton-GLE-455...%2C220&sr=8-13
https://www.amazon.de/Canton-GLE-490...n+weiss&sr=8-5
@ManFromGouda

The above is an excellent suggestion---I have yet to see any negative feedback on the Canton speakers, and they do offer some high quality, full sized 3-way center speakers unlike Q Acoustics. If I were in Europe that would be my first choice especially if HT is the main focus.

post #56 of 79 Old 05-18-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about mixing the "i" series with the prior series as the newer version is said to be a tiny bit brighter which is actually not a bad thing for a center.

The old center measured VERY well when test by a well respected magazine here in the States.

It's just not meant to be use in a very large room at high volumes as that is beyond the scope of the speaker size but in a regular room, (my dual 4" center is in a room that is about 12 meters by 4 meters for example), it'll get louder than you can bear.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...iew-test-bench

They tested the 3000i series too but oddly, no measurements that time but they did spend considerable time discussing the center:

"In the keystone position, Q Acoustics matches the towers with its 3090ci, a horizontal two-way center speaker that uses a pair of 4-inch woofers rather than the 6.5-inch units in the towers. On its own merits this is a very competent design, with clear, well-focused sound, though it was a little thinner on some male voices than many such dual-woofer centers, which I often find tend toward lower-mids excess and even over-fullness or “hoo.”

The 3090ci's crispness is not necessarily a demerit, but it made for a fairly sharp contrast with the 3050i towers. Comparing a range of announcers both male and female between centered- mono (3090ci) and dual-mono (tower pair) playback, all but a couple of higher-pitched female voices sound distinctly, even dramatically different on the center unit: brighter, with a more focused and prominent presence-range that tended to highlight different vocal formats to an easily noticeable degree."

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-review-page-2
Interesting. Good thing you are serious and checked (unlike me).
post #57 of 79 Old 05-18-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
The 3020 cost just 20 euros more per pair than a single 3090 center ... @ManFromGouda if you go with Q Acoustics I would get this Canton center instead of the QA center:
https://www.amazon.nl/Canton-02885-C...dp/B0043EZUK4/

Or, buy a 2nd pair of the 3020 and use the 3rd 3020 as the center if you believe in "timbre matching."
AlexLac likes this.

post #58 of 79 Old 05-18-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
The 3020 cost just 20 euros more per pair than a single 3090 center ... @ManFromGouda if you go with Q Acoustics I would get this Canton center instead of the QA center:
https://www.amazon.nl/Canton-02885-C...dp/B0043EZUK4/

Or, buy a 2nd pair of the 3020 and use the 3rd 3020 as the center if you believe in "timbre matching."
Two of your favorites in one post. Timbre matching and the QA center haha
Zorba922 likes this.
post #59 of 79 Old 05-18-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Two of your favorites in one post. Timbre matching and the QA center haha
He could have had a trifecta if he'd tossed in "EQ is useless" as well!
Zorba922 and AlexLac like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #60 of 79 Old 05-18-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
He could have had a trifecta if he'd tossed in "EQ is useless" as well!
hehe, and probably right on all 3, with some mitigating factors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
advice needed , Onkyo , polk signature s55 , polk signature s60 , q acoustics 3050

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page