Speaker Recommend Request - LCR $1600 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 11 Old 05-17-2020, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaker Recommend Request - LCR $1600

Another thread but REALLY appreciate any and all help.

-I have a Denon AVR-370H (I know this receiver isn't great but for budget prioritization I am going to keep using it)
-I have a SVS PB-1000 but am going to try the SVS PB-3000
-This will be for 99%+ home theater (movies/tv shows/video games)
-Based upon everything I have read I am looking to spend a large portion of my budget on LCR and then spend less on surrounds/height
-Budget for LCR of ~$1600 (can go up a bit more if it is worth it)
-Start as 7.1 or 5.1.2
-Dedicated room about 15x18
-I really want a great center (since it will mostly be used for movies/tv shows)
-I am not an audiophile by any stretch but I am looking for wow factor combined with clarity for dialog that I don't need to put on subtitles
-I have done research and have some thoughts but don't want to write them as to skew or start any conversations

Thank you so much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-18-2020, 01:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 1796
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmondfrans View Post

-I have a Denon AVR-370H (I know this receiver isn't great but for budget prioritization I am going to keep using it)

-Based upon everything I have read I am looking to spend a large portion of my budget on LCR and then spend less on surrounds/height

-Start as 7.1 or 5.1.2

-I really want a great center (since it will mostly be used for movies/tv shows)

-I am not an audiophile by any stretch but I am looking for wow factor combined with clarity for dialog that I don't need to put on subtitles

-I have done research and have some thoughts but don't want to write them as to skew or start any conversations

Is diy an option if so $1600 will get you by far the most bang for your buck . I would recommend the diysoundgroup titan 615lx. They sell flat packs for them which go together super easy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 05-18-2020, 02:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3316
Quote:

-Start as 7.1 or 5.1.2

If you're in the US: For 99% HT use and within budget an HSU Hybrid 2 package would be a good bang for buck setup. Just add a 2nd VTF-2 sub and you're all set.

NOTE: They have these available in a gorgeous rosewood finish if WAF is factor.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2mk5pkg.html
Ryan Statz likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-18-2020, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the feedback so far:

1. These speakers will be behind the projector screen so looks are not important.
2. I would prefer prebuilt as I know myself and DIY should be avoided
3. I really want to build it around a GREAT center channel

Any further recommendations based upon this would be greatly appreciated!

Are the SVS centers worth trying out?

thanks!
post #5 of 11 Old 05-18-2020, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9568 Post(s)
Liked: 7379
Quote:
-Start as 7.1 or 5.1.2
99% HT use with an AT screen, all you need is 3 of these on stands and vertically aligned, about $834 shipped:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...m/cmt340m.html

If the 15 x 18 room is totally enclosed, you don't need the PB3000, just buy a second PB1000 and you're all set.

To get a significant HT performance upgrade over the Ascends, you'd have to go up to PSA speakers which are a huge price jump and only needed if you are looking for eardrum-busting +85db commercial theater reference volumes.

Another option is 3 x Chane A2.4, about $900 shipped.

Having 3 identical and vertically aligned front speakers is the acoustic ideal...you're lucky you can achieve it easily.
sigpig likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 11 Old 05-18-2020, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked: 7206
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback so far:

1. These speakers will be behind the projector screen so looks are not important.
2. I would prefer prebuilt as I know myself and DIY should be avoided
3. I really want to build it around a GREAT center channel

Any further recommendations based upon this would be greatly appreciated!

Are the SVS centers worth trying out?

thanks!
Have to agree with Zorba; three identical speakers all oriented the same like the Ascends would be the ideal.

Horizontal centers are a compromise that most of us have to take due to space limitations but you don't have that constraint so having your center identical to the left and right standing vertically is ideal.

I also agree that adding a second Pb1000, as it seems you like it, you just want more, will not only give you a much wider sense of bass across the listening area but a+6db jump in headroom when you add a second identical sub.

SVS themselves do recommend dual subs but identical subs, not two different subs from their lineup.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 11 Old 05-18-2020, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback--I had not considered those before so that is great feedback!

What about these? https://slickdeals.net/f/14060573-in...?src=frontpage

I am not posting this as a deal post to be in the wrong forum but how do the Infinity Reference Speakers: RC263 compare? thanks again!
post #8 of 11 Old 05-18-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback--I had not considered those before so that is great feedback!

What about these? https://slickdeals.net/f/14060573-in...?src=frontpage

I am not posting this as a deal post to be in the wrong forum but how do the Infinity Reference Speakers: RC263 compare? thanks again!
Those are surrounds, I thought you were interested in a front three?

Sadly their tower is not on sale as three of those would make a great front three.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 11 Old 05-18-2020, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Those are surrounds, I thought you were interested in a front three?

Sadly their tower is not on sale as three of those would make a great front three.
Yeah what about the center? RC263? I know you mentioned 3 vertical as ideal but for the price how are they? I bought one--it's so cheap if it doesn't work out oh well (and I could return theoretically)

For the sub if I am looking for excessive/wow factor is it better to get a pb-3000 or two pb-1000s? I have one pb-1000 and bought a pb-3000 coming tuesday as I read that one pb-3000 will have more wow factor if in the right location for listening but pb-1000 x2 dual is better for audio quality and consistency.

thanks! having fun
post #10 of 11 Old 05-18-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah what about the center? RC263? I know you mentioned 3 vertical as ideal but for the price how are they? I bought one--it's so cheap if it doesn't work out oh well (and I could return theoretically)

For the sub if I am looking for excessive/wow factor is it better to get a pb-3000 or two pb-1000s? I have one pb-1000 and bought a pb-3000 coming tuesday as I read that one pb-3000 will have more wow factor if in the right location for listening but pb-1000 x2 dual is better for audio quality and consistency.

thanks! having fun
Yes, the RC263 is a very good center for the price, no question.

Review here.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.12442/

A single PB3000 will be far better than a single PB1000.

SVS would likely give you honest advice about dual PB1000s vs a single PB3000.

The PB3000 comes with EQ app which could be very handy but not necessary if your receiver EQs the sub(s).

Geoff A. J., California
post #11 of 11 Old 05-18-2020, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9568 Post(s)
Liked: 7379
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
SVS would likely give you honest advice about dual PB1000s vs a single PB3000.
Based on my experience with them last year, I wouldn't be surprised if they'll recommend buying TWO PB3000s.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page