help with portable audiophile speaker - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Kini62
  • 1 Post By eljaycanuck

post #1 of 22 Old 05-19-2020, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 12
help with portable audiophile speaker

whelp here goes nothing:
i have at the moment a jam rewind which i like but in terms it is lacking and dying, plus since listening to the canton dm9 soundbar i been saying meh no more jam rewinds. also they discontinued them and i do not like the fact that the micro usb port keeps wearing out.
would like to replace it with something that is rugged just like the jam rewind and the same or similar size as it will be mounted to my bike in the center of the handle bar.
also maybe a usb type c.
oddly been converting all my music to paid downloads of nothing less then 16bit flac and when available 24bit at 192 khhz so looking into a wifi streaming speaker hopefully it will work with the PowerAmp player i got...
just throw me some suggestions of anything that would take hold of the 24bit flac at 192khz and give it a run for it's money.
just to mention the reason why i think the jam rewind sounded so good is its' rang went into the low 60's and that is subwoofer territory.
so low pick up on the LFE channel is a must. i like my bass or at least be able to hear it without distortion
let the games begin and bless you all for helping

Strings are attached to my broken kneck holding it up high.

Last edited by gloege; 05-27-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-20-2020, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Dali Katch might be good, but there could be an in between option unless you’re looking to go from a $25 speaker to a $500 one. I have a UE Boom 2 for the kids, that sounds fine but not sure how you’d mount it.

Main 7.1 HT: Dali Zensor (7s, Vokal, and 1s), Emotiva E2s, HSU ULS-15 MK2, Emotiva BasX preamp/amps (MC-700, A-300, A-500)
Kid’s 5.1 HT: Dali Oberon (5s, Vokal), RSL C34Es, HSU VTF-2 MK5, Denon X2400H
7-Zone CCA/Spotify WHA: Paradigm (E-80Rs x6, P-80SM), Def Tech AW6500s, Polk MC-80, Emotiva BasX amps (A-700, A-500), FiiO D3 DACs
post #3 of 22 Old 05-20-2020, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloege View Post
whelp here goes nothing:
i have at the moment a jam rewind which i like but in terms it is lacking and dying, plus since listening to the canton dm9 soundbar i been saying meh no more jam rewinds. also they discontinued them and i do not like the fact that the micro usb port keeps wearing out.
would like to replace it with something that is rugged just like the jam rewind and the same or similar size as it will be mounted to my bike in the center of the handle bar.
also maybe a usb type c.
oddly been converting all my music to paid downloads of nothing less then 16bit flac and when available 24bit at 192 khhz so looking into a wifi streaming speaker hopefully it will work with the PowerAmp player i got...
just throw me some suggestions of anything that would take hold of the 24bit flac at 192khz and give it a run for it's money.
just to mention the reason why i think the jam rewind sounded so good is its' rang went into the low 50's and that is subwoofer territory.
so low pick up on the LFE channel is a must. i like my bass or at least be able to hear it without distortion
I have seen a post in a bike/BMX group on FB where someone was making a custom mount for a JBL charge. a lot of the portable BT speakers these days incorporate a small sub and/or passive radiator and can sound quite good. supporting hi res pushes the envelope. Denon' HEOS does, as well as Play-fi, and BlueOS . The HEOS 1 has a battery option. but the higher quality units aren't rugged, per say. So your bike mount requirement might keep you to a lower SQ model. Riva is another to look at.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-20-2020, 06:10 PM
_tk
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 403
The larger the speaker the better. Those little ones do their low end with passive radiators and DSP, adding a lot of what I call "fake bass". Plus, the louder you turn it up, the more the bass rolls off.

A lot of people who want that "audiophile" sound in a portable unit build their own. That's really the only way to get something high quality for not a ton of money. Parts express has kits and a ton of ideas on what people have done.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-20-2020, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2948 Post(s)
Liked: 2827
Quote:
whelp here goes nothing:
also maybe a usb type c.
just to mention the reason why i think the jam rewind sounded so good is its' rang went into the low 50's and that is subwoofer territory.
There is no such thing as an "audiophile" tiny speaker. Also, there is no way that little thing could play to 50hz. In addition you're wasting time and money with high res files and then playing them through a tiny speaker mounted to your bike.

Get a set of wireless headphones or IEMs.
eljaycanuck and tonygeno like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #6 of 22 Old 05-20-2020, 11:28 PM
_tk
AVS Forum Special Member

I missed the "mount to my bike" part. Yeah, what OP wants does not exist. And bluetooth will sound just as "good" as hard-wired flac on such a device.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-26-2020, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
I missed the "mount to my bike" part. Yeah, what OP wants does not exist. And bluetooth will sound just as "good" as hard-wired flac on such a device.
thanks but no thanks. i have seen some good speakers just thought if i created this post someone would have a heart to help me collaborate finding the best solution. and as another said buying high quality music does not help it does on my home system and some on the portable speaker. maybe i just need to find people who are willing to help and not nag. but or i can do the work myself and maybe miss a speaker or two some have that i would never know about if i did not make this post

post #8 of 22 Old 05-26-2020, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Get a set of wireless headphones or IEMs.
can not due headphones due to having a mastectomy and just because headphones suck. also then that would defeat the reason i posted this

post #9 of 22 Old 05-26-2020, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

any help would be appreciated

post #10 of 22 Old 05-26-2020, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked: 3160
Quote:
can not due headphones due to having a mastectomy …
Sincerely curious: How does a mastectomy rule out (wireless) headphone use? Thanks.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-26-2020, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Sincerely curious: How does a mastectomy rule out (wireless) headphone use? Thanks.
because the pain in wearing it and the way the headphones thump in that ear

post #12 of 22 Old 05-26-2020, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

LOOK WHAT I FOUND

UE Megablast

The Megablast features two 25mm tweeters, two 55mm active drivers and two 85 x 50mm passive radiators inside for a frequency range between 60Hz and 20kHz and a maximum sound level of 93dBC. It has 360-degree sound and it's an excellent performer in terms of sound quality
AND HAS WIFI

https://www.pocket-lint.com/speakers...rboom-compared

post #13 of 22 Old 05-26-2020, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked: 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloege
because the pain in wearing it and the way the headphones thump in that ear
Although I don't understand it, I appreciate the reply. Thank you.
gloege likes this.
post #14 of 22 Old 05-26-2020, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

check out: https://rivaaudio.com/riva-turbo-x/

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #15 of 22 Old 05-27-2020, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

here is a link to a speaker i found. now it a little bigger and heavier then i wanted to go but i do seem to see the audio quality will be closer to what i was dreaming of or at least as close as my note 10+ will utilize the higher LDAC codec. could not find an aptx hd bluetooth or a rugged portable wifi speaker so meh. also it has song skip button. most high end ones did not which is odd, can not change a song when riding a bike and that would suck. also no play/pause button; ouch. and finnaly here is the link for the sony XB43 EXTRA BASS:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/wir...akers/srs-xb43

let me know what you think

also will i need the sony music center app to use it. i really want to use poweramp. also will i need the app for the light or do they stay off. if no one knows i can call sony. just let me know what you think of the speaker. i saw it's predecessor doing a bass test and was wild with the grill off

Last edited by gloege; 05-27-2020 at 07:49 AM.
post #16 of 22 Old 05-27-2020, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post

the riva s looked much more my flavor if it just had a song skip button and play button

post #17 of 22 Old 05-27-2020, 08:14 AM
_tk
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks but no thanks. i have seen some good speakers just thought if i created this post someone would have a heart to help me collaborate finding the best solution. and as another said buying high quality music does not help it does on my home system and some on the portable speaker. maybe i just need to find people who are willing to help and not nag. but or i can do the work myself and maybe miss a speaker or two some have that i would never know about if i did not make this post
People are helping you by saying that those portable speakers are a sound compromise. You're asking for audiophile level of quality and that just doesn't exist in such a small speaker.

For around $200 you can get something decent, but small speakers get the "punch" by using a ton of DSP and other such tricks. Just pick the one that has the most bass response, but again...that's going to be a larger speaker. That's just how it works.

Also, I doubt anyone in here will be versed on all the different bluetooth speaker offerings because that's not the audience. You'd be better off looking at reviews on cnet and such as they have folks who specialize in that type of thing.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-27-2020, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
People are helping you by saying that those portable speakers are a sound compromise. You're asking for audiophile level of quality and that just doesn't exist in such a small speaker.

For around $200 you can get something decent, but small speakers get the "punch" by using a ton of DSP and other such tricks. Just pick the one that has the most bass response, but again...that's going to be a larger speaker. That's just how it works.

Also, I doubt anyone in here will be versed on all the different bluetooth speaker offerings because that's not the audience. You'd be better off looking at reviews on cnet and such as they have folks who specialize in that type of thing.

really more then a week with and one of the days consisting of 12 hours of hard research led me to realizing the portable speaker industry sucks. why can't they just make one with wifi file streaming. but sadly i did notice that aptx hd might be a go, then again i was wrong; not a single ip rated speaker carries aptx hd. then i figured to look up why aptx hd was not being used and found a bluetooth codec comparison that opened me ups to the LDAC codec. well it is to soon to have hopes that it will catch on since sony invented it and it just got implemented into the fair use game and android 10; so since i got a note 10+ i am set on sony. so i am looking to opt for the sony speaker i linked in one of my last posts. check it out and see if you think i should shell out some cash for it

post #19 of 22 Old 05-27-2020, 11:33 AM
_tk
AVS Forum Special Member

As far as bluetooth speakers go, the Sony's are decent. They are a bit more expensive but they seem of good quality. I own one of their older ones that I use when working outside and such and it does fine (for what it is).
post #20 of 22 Old 05-27-2020, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

have you checked out the Sonos Move?

and the Denon HEOS 1 w/ gopac (battery) ( now a discontinued model)

both do wifi and BT

Last edited by smithsabom; 05-27-2020 at 11:48 AM.
post #21 of 22 Old 05-27-2020, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
have you checked out the Sonos Move?

and the Denon HEOS 1 w/ gopac (battery) ( now a discontinued model)

both do wifi and BT

hardly any info on the sonos and i chatted with them and they sayd no go on the info. did find out on amazon that the battery can be replaced but meh. wrong shape everything fires in the wrong way. also till they get out of their locked down ecosystem i can not really support them. besides the speaker would never work on a bike really. so i shot for the sony which i found out is one of the few that skips songs backwards. odd the designers are taking the forward and back skipping buttons off the huge speakers. i got a jam rewind that has everything. but i like that sony has the special codec to do higher audio quality. also this should hold up to dub music and dub reggae, which i thought would damage my jam rewind driver as i did it once. i can finally play alborosi's dub album and finley quaye's dub stuff. just got to find a way to mount it on my bike. plus i do not need the perpetual app to run it like sonos. i can even turn off the lights with out it and use google assistant.

Last edited by gloege; 05-27-2020 at 02:19 PM.
post #22 of 22 Old 05-27-2020, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

the best price for the sony speaker if you want to pre order is B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ma

they got them listed separately by color so that is the search link for them
the price is 1$ less then MSRP, free shipping too

Last edited by gloege; 05-27-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
audiophile , bluetooth audio , flac , poweramp , wifi speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page