Who ran the Insignia ns-b21111? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trilkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 1,466
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Who ran the Insignia ns-b21111?

Just got a pair of these that were upgraded with the GR research kit. At first I didnt know what to think of them, then I recalibrated my onkyo 777 they are on and wow, I got impressed. Its running them full range and I let it since I dont listen at very loud volumes. I bought them to go with my KEF ref 100 center channel (to have all coaxial) and they destroyed that thing for dialogue and clarity in movies. They have a sweet spot for volume but if you are in that then all is well.

Anyone else give these a try and have any input, or anyone still have them?

- MIRAGE OM-C2 Center, MIRAGE M490 L/R, 4 JBL 8330a surr , 8 x JBL 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC RS420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Classix ii's + building Paul Carmody Sunflower Redux for 2 channel
trilkb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 5,808
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
I thought that this was a belated April First joke, but I see that it's for real (NS-B2111, by the way). I admit to a bias against the Best Buy house brand.

I haven't heard them.
bobknavs is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trilkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 1,466
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I thought that this was a belated April First joke, but I see that it's for real (NS-B2111, by the way). I admit to a bias against the Best Buy house brand.

I haven't heard them.
LOL, I dont blame you. But check it out if you didnt know..

http://gr-research.com/insigniaupgrade.aspx

I dont know. Maybe I am crazy. They sound pretty good in my room. Ill see what I think about them tonight too. Compared to my classix II's they are not "bad".

- MIRAGE OM-C2 Center, MIRAGE M490 L/R, 4 JBL 8330a surr , 8 x JBL 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC RS420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Classix ii's + building Paul Carmody Sunflower Redux for 2 channel
trilkb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
jsb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Just got a pair of these that were upgraded with the GR research kit. At first I didnt know what to think of them, then I recalibrated my onkyo 777 they are on and wow, I got impressed. Its running them full range and I let it since I dont listen at very loud volumes. I bought them to go with my KEF ref 100 center channel (to have all coaxial) and they destroyed that thing for dialogue and clarity in movies. They have a sweet spot for volume but if you are in that then all is well.

Anyone else give these a try and have any input, or anyone still have them?
I had a pair . When I first checked out avs years ago there was quite a bit of talk about the insignias. For a cheap speaker, I thought they looked pretty nice. At first I thought they sounded ok for the price point, but after a while of having them I noticed how V shaped the sound was. Like a hollow sound. Bass and treble but everything in the middle was barely there. Hard to recall though, been a long time since I had them. Sold them in a garage sale for $10 after hanging on to them for a few years
jsb75 is online now  
post #5 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
jsb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
I had a pair . When I first checked out avs years ago there was quite a bit of talk about the insignias. For a cheap speaker, I thought they looked pretty nice. At first I thought they sounded ok for the price point, but after a while of having them I noticed how V shaped the sound was. Like a hollow sound. Bass and treble but everything in the middle was barely there. Hard to recall though, been a long time since I had them. Sold them in a garage sale for $10 after hanging on to them for a few years
I’d like to hear a modded version
jsb75 is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 2,496
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
Bass and treble but everything in the middle was barely there.
Gee, match them with some Bose speakers and you're golden... lol
sigpig is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
jsb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Gee, match them with some Bose speakers and you're golden... lol
Yeah. That’s pretty much how they sounded . Ok if you got a room full of drunk people. And playing music they like. Lol
jsb75 is online now  
post #8 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trilkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 1,466
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I really want you to hear modded versions now too haha. I’m watching oblivion and the intro Tom cruises voice sounds fantastic. Maybe I’ll get out the umik and take some measurements at my seat because I’m still amazed tonight.

I think the type of speaker makes them lack a few things. But I’d never sell these modded for 10 bucks. I overpaid I think but I still got them for cheaper than buying used ones and the gr research upgrade. It blows my mind unmodded ones aren’t selling for nothing. After shipping I’m at $100 a speaker and I believe they are certainly worth around that.

If shipping wasn’t an issue I’d love to see how they stack up in a bookshelf shootout.

- MIRAGE OM-C2 Center, MIRAGE M490 L/R, 4 JBL 8330a surr , 8 x JBL 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC RS420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Classix ii's + building Paul Carmody Sunflower Redux for 2 channel
trilkb is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 5,808
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
LOL, I dont blame you. But check it out if you didnt know..

http://gr-research.com/insigniaupgrade.aspx

I dont know. Maybe I am crazy. They sound pretty good in my room. Ill see what I think about them tonight too. Compared to my classix II's they are not "bad".
I looked at that site before making my worthless comment. If the speakers were modded to the full extent shown there, they may have gone a long way from sow's ear towards silk purse.
bobknavs is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 09:19 PM
Senior Member
 
PCMusicGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a set. I've had them since they went on sale for $50 a pair like a decade ago. I used them for a long time on a digital stage piano when I didn't want to wear headphones. I've been using them on my computer for about 5 years for games, movies, and music and I think they are great.
PCMusicGuy is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 05-21-2020, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 19,313
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked: 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
I really want you to hear modded versions now too haha. I’m watching oblivion and the intro Tom cruises voice sounds fantastic. Maybe I’ll get out the umik and take some measurements at my seat because I’m still amazed tonight.

I think the type of speaker makes them lack a few things. But I’d never sell these modded for 10 bucks. I overpaid I think but I still got them for cheaper than buying used ones and the gr research upgrade. It blows my mind unmodded ones aren’t selling for nothing. After shipping I’m at $100 a speaker and I believe they are certainly worth around that.

If shipping wasn’t an issue I’d love to see how they stack up in a bookshelf shootout.
Dennis Murphy also worked on a set ...
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...crossover-mods

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 05-21-2020, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trilkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 1,466
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 428
last night kept me switching back and forth between them and my classix II's and man, the only thing you lose with the insignias are some bass and how loud you can really play them. That carries into certain characters voices. Sometimes its a good thing, sometimes its a bad thing. It really depends on the material. Some stuff sounded better on the classix and some stuff sounded better on the insignias.

- MIRAGE OM-C2 Center, MIRAGE M490 L/R, 4 JBL 8330a surr , 8 x JBL 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC RS420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Classix ii's + building Paul Carmody Sunflower Redux for 2 channel
trilkb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off