Who ran the Insignia ns-b21111? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Who ran the Insignia ns-b21111?

Just got a pair of these that were upgraded with the GR research kit. At first I didnt know what to think of them, then I recalibrated my onkyo 777 they are on and wow, I got impressed. Its running them full range and I let it since I dont listen at very loud volumes. I bought them to go with my KEF ref 100 center channel (to have all coaxial) and they destroyed that thing for dialogue and clarity in movies. They have a sweet spot for volume but if you are in that then all is well.

Anyone else give these a try and have any input, or anyone still have them?

- MIRAGE OM-C2 Center, MIRAGE M490 L/R, 4 JBL 8330a surr , 8 x JBL 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC RS420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Classix ii's + building Paul Carmody Sunflower Redux for 2 channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
I thought that this was a belated April First joke, but I see that it's for real (NS-B2111, by the way). I admit to a bias against the Best Buy house brand.

I haven't heard them.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I thought that this was a belated April First joke, but I see that it's for real (NS-B2111, by the way). I admit to a bias against the Best Buy house brand.

I haven't heard them.
LOL, I dont blame you. But check it out if you didnt know..

http://gr-research.com/insigniaupgrade.aspx

I dont know. Maybe I am crazy. They sound pretty good in my room. Ill see what I think about them tonight too. Compared to my classix II's they are not "bad".

- MIRAGE OM-C2 Center, MIRAGE M490 L/R, 4 JBL 8330a surr , 8 x JBL 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC RS420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Just got a pair of these that were upgraded with the GR research kit. At first I didnt know what to think of them, then I recalibrated my onkyo 777 they are on and wow, I got impressed. Its running them full range and I let it since I dont listen at very loud volumes. I bought them to go with my KEF ref 100 center channel (to have all coaxial) and they destroyed that thing for dialogue and clarity in movies. They have a sweet spot for volume but if you are in that then all is well.

Anyone else give these a try and have any input, or anyone still have them?
I had a pair . When I first checked out avs years ago there was quite a bit of talk about the insignias. For a cheap speaker, I thought they looked pretty nice. At first I thought they sounded ok for the price point, but after a while of having them I noticed how V shaped the sound was. Like a hollow sound. Bass and treble but everything in the middle was barely there. Hard to recall though, been a long time since I had them. Sold them in a garage sale for $10 after hanging on to them for a few years
post #5 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
I had a pair . When I first checked out avs years ago there was quite a bit of talk about the insignias. For a cheap speaker, I thought they looked pretty nice. At first I thought they sounded ok for the price point, but after a while of having them I noticed how V shaped the sound was. Like a hollow sound. Bass and treble but everything in the middle was barely there. Hard to recall though, been a long time since I had them. Sold them in a garage sale for $10 after hanging on to them for a few years
I’d like to hear a modded version
post #6 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
Bass and treble but everything in the middle was barely there.
Gee, match them with some Bose speakers and you're golden... lol
post #7 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Gee, match them with some Bose speakers and you're golden... lol
Yeah. That’s pretty much how they sounded . Ok if you got a room full of drunk people. And playing music they like. Lol
post #8 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I really want you to hear modded versions now too haha. I’m watching oblivion and the intro Tom cruises voice sounds fantastic. Maybe I’ll get out the umik and take some measurements at my seat because I’m still amazed tonight.

I think the type of speaker makes them lack a few things. But I’d never sell these modded for 10 bucks. I overpaid I think but I still got them for cheaper than buying used ones and the gr research upgrade. It blows my mind unmodded ones aren’t selling for nothing. After shipping I’m at $100 a speaker and I believe they are certainly worth around that.

If shipping wasn’t an issue I’d love to see how they stack up in a bookshelf shootout.

post #9 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Quote:
LOL, I dont blame you. But check it out if you didnt know..

http://gr-research.com/insigniaupgrade.aspx

I dont know. Maybe I am crazy. They sound pretty good in my room. Ill see what I think about them tonight too. Compared to my classix II's they are not "bad".
I looked at that site before making my worthless comment. If the speakers were modded to the full extent shown there, they may have gone a long way from sow's ear towards silk purse.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a set. I've had them since they went on sale for $50 a pair like a decade ago. I used them for a long time on a digital stage piano when I didn't want to wear headphones. I've been using them on my computer for about 5 years for games, movies, and music and I think they are great.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-21-2020, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked: 3322
Quote:
I really want you to hear modded versions now too haha. I’m watching oblivion and the intro Tom cruises voice sounds fantastic. Maybe I’ll get out the umik and take some measurements at my seat because I’m still amazed tonight.

I think the type of speaker makes them lack a few things. But I’d never sell these modded for 10 bucks. I overpaid I think but I still got them for cheaper than buying used ones and the gr research upgrade. It blows my mind unmodded ones aren’t selling for nothing. After shipping I’m at $100 a speaker and I believe they are certainly worth around that.

If shipping wasn’t an issue I’d love to see how they stack up in a bookshelf shootout.
Dennis Murphy also worked on a set ...
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...crossover-mods

----------------
Who AM I
post #12 of 12 Old 05-21-2020, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

last night kept me switching back and forth between them and my classix II's and man, the only thing you lose with the insignias are some bass and how loud you can really play them. That carries into certain characters voices. Sometimes its a good thing, sometimes its a bad thing. It really depends on the material. Some stuff sounded better on the classix and some stuff sounded better on the insignias.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page