What would you choose? upgrading a single SVS Prime component to Ultra - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By TheCableMan
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By philpoe

post #1 of 8 Old 05-21-2020, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What would you choose? upgrading a single SVS Prime component to Ultra

I have a Prime 5.0 system (prime center, 2x bookshelf, 2x satellite), and I have a little bit of money to kill. If you were to upgrade a single component of this system to an SVS ultra component (e.g. 2x prime bookshelf -> 2x ultra bookshelf, OR prime center -> ultra center), which would you choose for:

1) music
2) movies/TV
3) general use

All potential upgrades are within budget. Thanks for your expert opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-21-2020, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Since your #1 is music I would say upgrade the front L and R to ultras.. moce the prime bookshelves to replace the prime satelights.... I would personally do the same if movies was the #1 spit unless you feel dialog is lacking then I would upgrade the center
kh85 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-21-2020, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9183 Post(s)
Liked: 7045
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh85 View Post
I have a Prime 5.0 system (prime center, 2x bookshelf, 2x satellite), and I have a little bit of money to kill. If you were to upgrade a single component of this system to an SVS ultra component (e.g. 2x prime bookshelf -> 2x ultra bookshelf, OR prime center -> ultra center), which would you choose for:

1) music
2) movies/TV
3) general use

If music is your #1 priority, I agree with the previous poster---upgrade the Prime bookshelf. I home auditioned those a few years ago and sent them packing within 2 days, because i found the tweeter to be unbearably shrill/harsh for female voices and jazz horns. The only music that sounded good on them was AC/DC...but I seldom listen to that type of music nowadays.

If you're still within SVS's upgrade policy then you can send back the Prime bookshelves for credit applied to a pair of Ultra bookshelves; if not, you can move them to surround duty and go with a different pair of front L/R...they do NOT have to be SVS, in fact for the $1K that a pair of Ultra bookshelves cost I can think of any number of far better options for music. SVS generally is lousy bang for the buck compared to their internet direct competition.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2020, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
1. Another sub;
2. Another sub; and
3. Another sub.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-22-2020, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
If you're still within SVS's upgrade policy then you can send back the Prime bookshelves for credit applied to a pair of Ultra bookshelves; if not, you can move them to surround duty and go with a different pair of front L/R.
Should I be concerned about potential timbre matching issues if I were to have SVS surrounds and another brand for L/R?
post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2020, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9183 Post(s)
Liked: 7045
Quote:
Should I be concerned about potential timbre matching issues if I were to have SVS surrounds and another brand for L/R?
Not in the least. The only exception would be if you do a lot of multi-channel GAMING, or are in the strange habit of upmixing native stereo music sources into multi-channel or "all channel stereo" mode. In fact, some people enjoy having a "warm" music-oriented L/R pair with HT-oriented center & surrounds to get the best of both worlds, or rather, 2 systems in one. The front L/R do a relatively small % of the HT output, mostly theme music and any front spatial effects (70-80% comes out of the center).
kh85 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 8 Old 05-22-2020, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Do you have a subwoofer in your system already? If so, what make/model? If not, definitely a subwoofer, and be prepared for $500+ for that.
Is your list in weighted order of how you use it, or just to see how each one may benefit from an upgrade?

If the upgrade program allows you to swap products, you may consider the following:
Turn in the speakers for a subwoofer, or a subwoofer upgrade, or multiple, then get in on the sale that Harman Audio is having on Infinity Reference speakers.
https://www.harmanaudio.com/loudspea...refv1=Infinity

Since Harman offers free shipping and free returns, you could get them and compare directly to the SVS before making a decision at no cost to you besides time.
RC263 center + R162 bookshelf L/R and either another pair of R162 or a pair of RS152 speakers would be less than $500 for a 5.0 system.

Your current 5.0 setup would be worth a bit more than 2 PB-1000s in a swap, or stretch a little for 2x PB-2000 or PC-2000 in the outlet, or even mix/match depending on your needs.

Quote:
I have a Prime 5.0 system (prime center, 2x bookshelf, 2x satellite), and I have a little bit of money to kill.
1) music
2) movies/TV
3) general use
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
1. Another sub;
2. Another sub; and
3. Another sub.
kh85 likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-22-2020, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

1) music
2) movies/TV
3) general use

If you are unhappy with a specific component of your system....then I would suggest upgrading it.

However, if you are not unhappy ....maybe consider not changing anything now.

Instead, save your money for a future upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
svs prime , svs ultra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page