• 1 Post By torii
  • 1 Post By Tom Clements

post #1 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Mixed speakers for HT

Brand new system that I'm trying to put together.
Room: it's an open floor plan with the living room where HT will be at about 13x20 and the adjoining space 13x18.

I already bought a stupidly giant 82" tv 'cause it was on clearance at Sam's. (But how do you not buy the biggest TV you see??)
The TV will sit on top of a Fireplace with not a lot of room for a center channel.
My current thinking is:
Center Polk Audio S35
Front - Elac Debut 6.2 (just saw them on sale at Walmart for 245)
Rear Polk Audio S10
Sub - RSL speedwoofer 10s

Thoughts?
Any insight on how the polk center will sound with the Elac fronts? From what I've read the Elacs sound better than the Polk S20 or S15 which I might otherwise use to keep things sounding more cohesive.

Amplifier - I'm currently leaning toward one of the the ONkyo TX-NR's 797 if I can swing it - something cheaper if not.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Clements View Post
Brand new system that I'm trying to put together.
Room: it's an open floor plan with the living room where HT will be at about 13x20 and the adjoining space 13x18.

I already bought a stupidly giant 82" tv 'cause it was on clearance at Sam's. (But how do you not buy the biggest TV you see??)
The TV will sit on top of a Fireplace with not a lot of room for a center channel.
My current thinking is:
Center Polk Audio S35
Front - Elac Debut 6.2 (just saw them on sale at Walmart for 245)
Rear Polk Audio S10

Thoughts?
Any insight on how the polk center will sound with the Elac fronts? From what I've read the Elacs sound better than the Polk S20 or S15 which I might otherwise use to keep things sounding more cohesive.

Amplifier - I'm currently leaning toward one of the the ONkyo TX-NR's 797 if I can swing it - something cheaper if not.

Thanks
As per my knowledge you going to run 6ohms (Elac) and 8ohms (Polk) speakers of one AVR. Though I wouldn’t call myself an expert but I think it might be disastrous. If I remember onkyo correctly you can’t set multiple/individual speaker impedance. I’d also imagine no pre out for speakers in this line of onkyo. If you set the speaker impedance 6ohm on the system you might blow out the 8 ohm speakers and if you set it at 8 ohms you might blowout the AVR. Ofcourse listening habits make a lot of difference on these results, so this is a “maybe” scenario.
If you had precuts you could use an external amp for the elac and that wouldn’t be a problem. I haven’t really done this so my post is a lot of assumptions. Some expert might chime in later.

HOME THEATER Epson 8300/5040UB|Black Diamond 133” 2.35:1|KefT301 x3|KefT101 x4| 2 x Atmos|Rythmik FVX12x2|Nvidia Shield Pro 2019|FreeNAS|Yamaha A3070
LIVING ROOM Harman Kardon SB26 Sony 49” 4K Android
BEDROOM Sony EX700 40”|Nvidia Shield 2019
post #3 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhootZ View Post
As per my knowledge you going to run 6ohms (Elac) and 8ohms (Polk) speakers of one AVR. Though I wouldn’t call myself an expert but I think it might be disastrous. If I remember onkyo correctly you can’t set multiple/individual speaker impedance. I’d also imagine no pre out for speakers in this line of onkyo. If you set the speaker impedance 6ohm on the system you might blow out the 8 ohm speakers and if you set it at 8 ohms you might blowout the AVR. Ofcourse listening habits make a lot of difference on these results, so this is a “maybe” scenario.
If you had precuts you could use an external amp for the elac and that wouldn’t be a problem. I haven’t really done this so my post is a lot of assumptions. Some expert might chime in later.
Thanks! Yeah, that doesn't sound prudent. I had forgotten that the Elacs were 6 ohms... I've been looking at so many different options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 72
different ohms won't be an issue, I've ran a 5.1.2 setup with a mix of 4 ohm, 6 ohm and 8 ohm all running off an avr that only has 50w per channel at 8ohms with pretty much zero issues under normal use. As long as your AVR says it can handle 4ohm speakers it'll be fine. You also should also just keep the AVR set to 8 ohm output for speakers. The Onkyo you're looking at shouldn't have a problem with this.

You may want to look at a different center channel however, that polk isn't known for great sound with such small woofers it has.
Tom Clements likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9184 Post(s)
Liked: 7046
Quote:

My current thinking is:
Center Polk Audio S35

Thoughts?
The center speaker does 70-80% of the HT/TV output and 98% of the DIALOGUE. It is *the* true workhorse/backbone of any HT setup and thus the absolute LAST place you should ever cut corners. Smaller centers 4.5" or smaller woofers) almost always produce tinny voices and often, terrible voice clarity. There is a high likelihood you are going to regret the S35; about half the people on AVS who buy it end up returning it for the S30 or better center.

If you can squeeze in a 7" high center, I'd strongly recommend the Chane A2.4 instead. If not, I'd consider putting the center on a wheeled cart that can be easily rolled out of the way whenever the fireplace is being used. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Luxor-LP26-B-...led+media+cart

If you live in a warm climate where the fireplace is seldom/never used, then just use a pair of 24" or higher bookshelf stands to put a nice big center right in front of it.

Or, you can try NOT using a center...some people actually prefer this (a.k.a. "phantom center") especially compared to a crappy center.

And in a 13 x 38' space you will need at least a pair of those RSL subs or better, unless you seldom watch blockbuster action/thriller movies.
Tom Clements likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Or, you can try NOT using a center...some people actually prefer this (a.k.a. "phantom center") especially compared to a crappy center.

And in a 13 x 38' space you will need at least a pair of those RSL subs or better, unless you seldom watch blockbuster action/thriller movies.
I had thought about the phantom center idea - without knowing that term.
I may start there and see how it goes. If so, would the Elacs be up to the task? Or is there a better choice in the same price range?

Today I spotted the GoldenEar supersat3 - would that be a better choice for the center, and again, how would that work with the Elacs.

Point taken on the sub - the main listening space for movies would be a subset of the space, so I'm hoping one will serve.

Thanks
post #7 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
post #8 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
THIS Tom Clements: ?
:-)
No. I did think he was pretty cool when I was little.
And then he was the QB coach for the Packers. I always thought I'd try to show my license and see if I could get into the stadium...
post #9 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I had thought about the phantom center idea - without knowing that term.
I may start there and see how it goes. If so, would the Elacs be up to the task? Or is there a better choice in the same price range?

Point taken on the sub - the main listening space for movies would be a subset of the space, so I'm hoping one will serve.
If you can't do a pair of subs, I'd recommend this one which is currently on sale:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html

The ELAC F6.2 is $900/pr ... in that price range I'd much sooner take the Chane A5.5
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/ind...product_id=242

or, at $700/pr the Emotiva T1:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...1-loudspeakers

I wouldn't bother with GE speakers.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #10 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you can't do a pair of subs, I'd recommend this one which is currently on sale:

The ELAC F6.2 is $900/pr ... in that price range I'd much sooner take the Chane A5.5

or, at $700/pr the Emotiva T1:

I wouldn't bother with GE speakers.
I hadn't looked at the Chanes prior to your recommendation of the A2.4. I've been reading reviews and they seem to be very highly regarded.

That said, I'm not sure towers are going to pass the WAF test. We'll see. If I got the towers how badly would I need the sub?

What about initially two smaller Chanes - either the A1.5 or the A2.4 along with the HSU sub? Then I can see if I feel like I need a center and how to physically place it.

Thanks for your help.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I hadn't looked at the Chanes prior to your recommendation of the A2.4. I've been reading reviews and they seem to be very highly regarded.

That said, I'm not sure towers are going to pass the WAF test. We'll see. If I got the towers how badly would I need the sub?

What about initially two smaller Chanes - either the A1.5 or the A2.4 along with the HSU sub? Then I can see if I feel like I need a center and how to physically place it.

Thanks for your help.
The A2.4 would be fine; they're dual woofer bookshelves, so they give you 90% of the room-filling headroom/dynamics of towers without the bulk and for less money.

You would still need a sub with towers at any price, if HT is your main usage and if you watch a lot of blockbuster action movies with all the LFE.

In that capacity, $600/pr dual woofer bookshelves with $600 sub would kill any tower at any price.

Towers are mainly an aesthetic preference, not a functional necessity.
Tom Clements likes this.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked: 2550
I use mixed towers in my HT. focal and klipsch. need avr with dsp, and all is great. the klipsch horns make wife/me jump all the time really like horns for HT. I have them as rear towers.
Tom Clements likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #13 of 13 Old 05-22-2020, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The A2.4 would be fine; they're dual woofer bookshelves, so they give you 90% of the room-filling headroom/dynamics of towers without the bulk and for less money.

You would still need a sub with towers at any price, if HT is your main usage and if you watch a lot of blockbuster action movies with all the LFE.

In that capacity, $600/pr dual woofer bookshelves with $600 sub would kill any tower at any price.

Towers are mainly an aesthetic preference, not a functional necessity.
Awesome. Thank you so much!
Zorba922 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page