Surround sound speaker placement question? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-21-2020, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Surround sound speaker placement question?

I got my Klipsch bookshelf speakers for left and right surround. They are on monoprice 34" stands. Any concern with this? Seating is slight below speaker height. I can put the speakers almost exactly to right and left of seated position (at 90 degrees) about 8' to either side of seated position, or I can put them back 2-3 feet and angle them towards seated position. If I put them back maybe to 100 , should they be pointed directly at seated position or more towards center of room? I see both. Thanks!

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-21-2020, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And is it better to have the surrounds place outside of front left and right channels, closer to seating position, further away, or mute point? Thanks!!!!

post #3 of 10 Old 05-21-2020, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3250 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post
I got my Klipsch bookshelf speakers for left and right surround. They are on monoprice 34" stands. Any concern with this? Seating is slight below speaker height. I can put the speakers almost exactly to right and left of seated position (at 90 degrees) about 8' to either side of seated position, or I can put them back 2-3 feet and angle them towards seated position. If I put them back maybe to 100 , should they be pointed directly at seated position or more towards center of room? I see both. Thanks!
Should be fine for the height. Typical recommendation is tweeter = at or slightly above ear level. I've heard systems in which they were well above ear level and still sounded excellent.

As for the positioning relative to seating, do all of them. Seriously, it is what sounds best to you in your particular space. 90-110, aimed at the MLP more or less - BUT - again, try different angles and aims until it sounds best to you on some familiar content. I have my sides at 80-ish, so in front of the listeners a bit, in a 7.2.4 system, and this works great. Actually it's not bad either when just running in 5.2.0. While I can place at 90, it's not ideal for my space, but yours will be different so of course try there for sure. If you have multiple seating positions, be sure to try them all out, unless it's pretty much just you, then optimize for the MLP. I shared the love a bit with the other positions on a 3-person couch.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-21-2020, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And is it better to have the surrounds place outside of front left and right channels, closer to seating position, further away, or mute point? Thanks!!!!

The best location is where you can't localize the speakers. Too close, you will notice there is a speaker there, and it can be distracting rather than giving you enjoyable sound. Other than that, it won't matter too much. I'd opt to get them away from the listener, but you've got them on stands, so you can experiment with this, which is very nice.

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #5 of 10 Old 05-21-2020, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
It is sometime recommended to have the tweeter of the surrounds 1 - 2 feet above ear level in order to improve the overall atmospheric effects that surrounds offer. Slightly behind, and pointed towards the listening position (but not angled down/up towards ear level) is also another recommended position.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 Front L/R | KEF Q650c Centre | KEF Q150 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
post #6 of 10 Old 05-21-2020, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks...I will spread them out as far from listening position and start with 90 degree.....as I have to use stands and the speakers each weigh around 7lb the only ones I could find were monoprice monolith and the tallest they have is 32". If you all know of a better stand that puts the speakers a little higher, please post!!! Thanks!!!

post #7 of 10 Old 05-21-2020, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Thanks...I will spread them out as far from listening position and start with 90 degree.....as I have to use stands and the speakers each weigh around 7lb the only ones I could find were monoprice monolith and the tallest they have is 32". If you all know of a better stand that puts the speakers a little higher, please post!!! Thanks!!!
I just started using those stands with my surrounds and they work great.Filled them up with kitty litter to deaden the metal vibrations of stand.They are on sides of my couch a bit behind my seating positioned and aimed at front speaker-left sur. to right front and right sur. to left front.

Matt
post #8 of 10 Old 05-22-2020, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One last question...'best' WFA placement for me is slight back in the back left and back right corners of the room with the speakers angled in towards opposite front speakers. The current seating reclining chairs and unless I recline both on of the speakers will may be slightly obstructed by the back of the chair. I would think this is not an issue since the speaker are angled more towards center of room rather than directly at listening position. Of course I can always recline both chair if I need to to completely eliminate an obstruction.

post #9 of 10 Old 05-23-2020, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
One last question...'best' WFA placement for me is slight back in the back left and back right corners of the room with the speakers angled in towards opposite front speakers. The current seating reclining chairs and unless I recline both on of the speakers will may be slightly obstructed by the back of the chair. I would think this is not an issue since the speaker are angled more towards center of room rather than directly at listening position. Of course I can always recline both chair if I need to to completely eliminate an obstruction.
Not an issue

Matt
post #10 of 10 Old 05-23-2020, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well, if it's negotiable, then place them where they sound best, not what's best WAF placement. If it's not negotiable, or you're just trying to stay in good graces, well then you've already answered the question.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page