Help me pick between 2 speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By William Nope

post #1 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Okay so I don’t want to overthink this for in-ceiling.

RSL

https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/

Or

Monoprice Alpha angled

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34198

They’re matching Q acoustic 3050is and have roughly the same sensitivity give or take a couple DBs. Is the RSL worth the extra $130 a pair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8971 Post(s)
Liked: 6933
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Nope View Post
They’re matching Q acoustic 3050is and have roughly the same sensitivity give or take a couple DBs. Is the RSL worth the extra $130 a pair?
Probably not.

I wonder what the "45Hz" spec means...3db roll off? 6db? 10db?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 368
only your ears can tell. I can't recall ever reading a bad review on the RSLs. probably the most recommended in ceiling.

if only HT, then you could probably be fine with the monoprice.

if music and HT, then RSL would be a better bet.

RSL has a good return policy, so less risk. but install/removal might be pain

good luck

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:
They’️re matching Q acoustic 3050is and have roughly the same sensitivity give or take a couple DBs. Is the RSL worth the extra $130 a pair?
Probably not.

I wonder what the "45Hz" spec means...3db roll off? 6db? 10db?
On the Monoprice?
post #5 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
only your ears can tell. I can't recall ever reading a bad review on the RSLs. probably the most recommended in ceiling.

if only HT, then you could probably be fine with the monoprice.

if music and HT, then RSL would be a better bet.

RSL has a good return policy, so less risk. but install/removal might be pain

good luck
True, finding it hard to find any impressions on here. The 30 day guarantee is nice but with in ceilings you’re cutting them into a ceiling lol so that’s a bit sketchy.

They would be a HT area. I’ll play music when I’m upstairs but seeing as it’s part of a 5.1 system you would only really use the towers and sub anyways? Is there even 5.1 music? I’m new to all this.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
On the Monoprice?
Yes.

The RSL have a stated 70Hz @ 3db roll off.

Monoprice doesn't specify what the 45Hz roll off is.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
True, finding it hard to find any impressions on here. The 30 day guarantee is nice but with in ceilings you’re cutting them into a ceiling lol so that’s a bit sketchy.

They would be a HT area. I’ll play music when I’m upstairs but seeing as it’s part of a 5.1 system you would only really use the towers and sub anyways? Is there even 5.1 music? I’m new to all this.
is there 5.1 music? absolutely - and don't forget "all channel stereo" sound mode ( almost avrs have this ) can be quite pleasant.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I’ll play music when I’m upstairs but seeing as it’s part of a 5.1 system you would only really use the towers and sub anyways? Is there even 5.1 music? I’m new to all this.
Only about 2% of music is natively mixed for 5.1: SACD and DVD-A formats, which the industry tried to push starting about 20 years ago and failed miserably.

The 3050i are good speakers by all accounts and as long as you have them properly set up and positioned, for music I would recommend using 2.0 or 2.1 --- having your receiver "upmix" music that was originally mixed for 2 channel into multi-channel sounds godawful to my ears. But I'm the kind of person who turns off the back speakers in my car and every time I rent or test drive a car...so, YMMV.

post #9 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 3266
Quote:
Okay so I don’t want to overthink this for in-ceiling.

RSL

Or

Monoprice Alpha angled

Here you go! Similar cost to the Monoprice gets you good build & sound quality.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...specifications
Or these if you want smaller 6.5" drivers.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...er-pair/1.html

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
On the Monoprice?
Yes.

The RSL have a stated 70Hz @ 3db roll off.

Monoprice doesn't specify what the 45Hz roll off is.
I see that now, that is odd.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
Quote:
True, finding it hard to find any impressions on here. The 30 day guarantee is nice but with in ceilings you’️re cutting them into a ceiling lol so that’️s a bit sketchy.

They would be a HT area. I’️ll play music when I’️m upstairs but seeing as it’️s part of a 5.1 system you would only really use the towers and sub anyways? Is there even 5.1 music? I’️m new to all this.
is there 5.1 music? absolutely - and don't forget "all channel stereo" sound mode ( almost avrs have this ) can be quite pleasant.
Hmm. I haven’t found this setting than. When I setup everything initially I didn’t have the rears and had to adjust everything just to get the sub to work with the towers. With the center channel, it’s never worked, I’m new to this so i might not know the setup.
Quote:
Quote:
I’️ll play music when I’️m upstairs but seeing as it’️s part of a 5.1 system you would only really use the towers and sub anyways? Is there even 5.1 music? I’️m new to all this.
Only about 2% of music is natively mixed for 5.1: SACD and DVD-A formats, which the industry tried to push starting about 20 years ago and failed miserably.

The 3050i are good speakers by all accounts and as long as you have them properly set up and positioned, for music I would recommend using 2.0 or 2.1 --- having your receiver "upmix" music that was originally mixed for 2 channel into multi-channel sounds godawful to my ears. But I'm the kind of person who turns off the back speakers in my car and every time I rent or test drive a car...so, YMMV.
Lol that’s funny. I haven’t set up the 3010’s yet, I just got my entertainment center and OLED so I’m finally now in the process of setting it up 100%. I personally love the way the 3050is sound with just the sub, very crisp and clean and musical across all genres. I listen to everything from Post Malone to Lindsey Stirling to Led Zeppelin so I’ve been pleased. I had to adjust the bass a bit to dial it in so it wasn’t over powering during certain genres.

I’ll try it out but I imagine I’ll be like you, I’ll prefer to hear the music and not hear it up mixed. Unless I’m sitting on my couch it’s useless anyways, it’s all in one area of my house.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Quote:
Okay so I don’️t want to overthink this for in-ceiling.

RSL

Or

Monoprice Alpha angled

They’️re matching Q acoustic 3050is and have roughly the same sensitivity give or take a couple DBs. Is the RSL worth the extra $130 a pair?
Here you go! Similar cost to the Monoprice gets you good build & sound quality.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...specifications
Or these if you want smaller 6.5" drivers.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...er-pair/1.html
Thanks I’ll check em out! I’ve seen Canton and RSL made good speakers for ceiling Atmos but I don’t know anything about Cantons. Monoprice has been good to me so I’m always willing to give them a shot.
post #13 of 15 Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The RSLs are good, but I wouldn’t over think it. You can’t go wrong with Atmos. Not enough content coming at you. Check make sure sensitivity and ability to fit in with your room/listening level is there an you’ll be fine. I also think the Monitor Audio in ceilings are good.

Main 7.1 HT: Dali Zensor (7s, Vokal, and 1s), Emotiva E2s, HSU ULS-15 MK2, Emotiva BasX preamp/amps (MC-700, A-300, A-500)
Kid’s 5.1 HT: Dali Oberon (5s, Vokal), RSL C34Es, HSU VTF-2 MK5, Denon X2400H
7-Zone CCA/Spotify WHA: Paradigm (E-80Rs x6, P-80SM), Def Tech AW6500s, Polk MC-80, Emotiva BasX amps (A-700, A-500), FiiO D3 DACs
post #14 of 15 Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just installed 4 of the RSL C34Es a few weeks ago and I am very happy with them so far. I jumped into Atmos without ever hearing an Atmos setup so I dont have much to compare them with. My only regret is not doing this sooner!

Make sure to check how much mounting depth you have available. I installed mine in my basement drop ceiling and I only had about 4.5 inches between the ceiling panel and the floor joist. I believe the RSLs are one of the slimmer good quality Atmos speakers out there at 4.25 inches.

Fusion 12 Tempest LCR, Volt 10-LX side and rear surrounds, RSL C34E front and rear Height/Atmos, 2X PSA V1500, Denon X6300H, Epson 5040UB, Panasonic DP-UB820, Stewart Cima Neve 120" screen

Last edited by steve0742003; Yesterday at 08:35 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I also have four RSL c34e’s. Can definitely spend more , or less but I’ve found them to be excellent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page