New Living Room (pics) - Deciding on Hsu Subs (Dual VTF-2 vs Single VTF-3) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 2 Post By gajCA
  • 2 Post By badtlc

post #1 of 6 Old 05-23-2020, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
New Living Room (pics) - Deciding on Hsu Subs (Dual VTF-2 vs Single VTF-3)

Moving into a new home this week, finally have the budget together to add subs to the mix. In my current home, space was very limited (900sq ft overall home 2bed 1 bath). New home is 2900sq ft overall, with a larger living room that extends into the kitchen. Current set up is Klipsch RF-280s, RC-450, Denon X3500H to my LG C9 65" via eARC. I want to add sub(s) first and foremost with this larger room, but considering how it opens up, wanted some opinions on going dual vs larger single. As far as visualization goes, I am flipping the room to where the couch placement will be against the windows and the TV will be on the wall where the couch currently is in the photo. Because of having this room directly connect off to the kitchen, what do you guys n gals think as far as single VTF-3 or dual VTF-2 MK5?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-23-2020, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9184 Post(s)
Liked: 7046
Quote:
Originally Posted by delita1 View Post
Because of having this room directly connect off to the kitchen, what do you guys n gals think as far as single VTF-3 or dual VTF-2 MK5?
The first recommended placement to try for dual subs is diagonally opposite corners, which your photos indicate you actually do have available---so that's where I'd place dual VTF-2.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 6 Old 05-23-2020, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10108 Post(s)
Liked: 7105
Quote:
Moving into a new home this week, finally have the budget together to add subs to the mix. In my current home, space was very limited (900sq ft overall home 2bed 1 bath). New home is 2900sq ft overall, with a larger living room that extends into the kitchen. Current set up is Klipsch RF-280s, RC-450, Denon X3500H to my LG C9 65" via eARC. I want to add sub(s) first and foremost with this larger room, but considering how it opens up, wanted some opinions on going dual vs larger single. As far as visualization goes, I am flipping the room to where the couch placement will be against the windows and the TV will be on the wall where the couch currently is in the photo. Because of having this room directly connect off to the kitchen, what do you guys n gals think as far as single VTF-3 or dual VTF-2 MK5?
Using HSU's numbers dual VTF2's are equal in total SPL output to a single VTF3 but will provide that bass across a much wider area so dual in a large space is the preferred way to go.

And while both are still VERY large, (you might want to make a cardboard cutout of the model you are considering), the VTF2 is smaller.

=17w24h22d= vs =15w21h22d=; the VTF3 is 30 percent larger in cubic inches.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-23-2020, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Dual VTF-2s
delita1 likes this.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 Front L/R | KEF Q650c Centre | KEF Q150 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
post #5 of 6 Old 05-23-2020, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10108 Post(s)
Liked: 7105
Quote:
Another option that is far more compact, is the 18" cube that is the ULS15; slightly more powerful than dual VTF2s or a single VTF3 and available in Rosenut which would be much more attractive in that very nice room.

More expensive though.

$1669/pair in black, $1969 in Rosenut.

Here's a photo of the ULS15, VTF3 and VTF2 side by side.

delita1 and Ryan Statz like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 6 Old 05-23-2020, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I would start with the VTF3 and then shoot for a 2nd one of those down the road if needed.
sigpig and delita1 like this.

Front: Polk S55
Center: Polk S30
Rear: Polk S10
Sub: P̶L̶-̶2̶0̶0̶I̶I̶ | (̶2̶)̶ ̶F̶V̶X̶1̶2̶ | V1812
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page