AVS Forum banner

Updating my HT/Family Room - $5k for speakers? So confused:)

2K views 65 replies 20 participants last post by  gajCA 
#1 · (Edited)
Good morning folks! I have recently began to revamp my family room HT system (everyday room) as I am moving into the 4k HDR/DV world. Will be running Denon 4500 with Emo XPA 5 channel amp (200rmsx5). Bottom end handled by PSA twin 15's

So, I have Von Schweikert VR2 mains, VS LCR15 center and their dipole/bipole surrounds..my room is big and open...23x16 and almost 2 stories..back opens to the kitchen. This is our everyday living room/family room/tv watching room..I want to update the speakers now...at least the front 3...I feel my center channel is weak as no matter what I do, I dont get clear and powerful vocals. There are several seating positions, so sometimes I am off axis watching a movie, other times I am straight ahead in the prime seat....so, being out of the game for so long, I am blown away at the choices out there...any chance you can help me narrow things down and or see if I am on the right track here?

Martin Logan 60xti and 50xti center - I have never heard them

KEF R5 or R7's and R2C center - never heard them

Monitor Audio Silver 500's - heard MA silver years back when I chose the Vons over the Monitors..I did like the Monitors though..especially with Rock

B&W 703-704's? - have heard a few over the years and they always seemed nice

SVS Ultra Towers? - are these even in same category as others here?

Focal, Revel? - new to me again

Klipsch - I have never been a fan, but only ones I have heard have been at Best Buy, so take that with a grain of salt

As you can see, I am all over the place. This is going to be for watching tv every day, movies several times a week and straight music maybe 10-15% of the time...

When listening to music, it would be at mid to high levels...I prefer rock music, but really we listen to a little of everything (R&B, country, hair metal, classic rock...we like it all).

I prefer towers due to size of room and setup. Needs to be black...either piano black or oak veneer black......

Due to room layout, etc, I have very limited spaces to put the speakers..currently my Vons are about 18 inches from the wall..it is NOT possible to have speakers any farther out from the wall than that...this is along the narrow wall (16ft wide) and right in the middle of it..so not corner loaded.

With the lockdown, etc, listening at local stores is likely out...going with an ID company I could get return privileges...maybe what I am looking at is overkill for what I use it for?? When we watch movies, it is at near reference levels...music generally loud also...not many soft listening sessions going on here:) Maybe my ears have gotten worse over the years? It seems like I want a more lively, enveloping sound than I have now...I want more detail and clarity in dialogue when watching movies, etc. I know this is like opening a can of worms as the options are many, but would appreciate any help you can lend. Thanks a bunch!

See less See more
#2 ·
As you can see, I am all over the place. This is going to be for watching tv every day, movies several times a week and straight music maybe 10-15% of the time...when listening to music, it would be at mid to high levels...I prefer rock music, but really we listen to a little of everything (R&B, country, hair metal, classic rock...we like it all). I prefer towers due to size of room and setup. Needs to be black...either piano black or oak veneer black......With the lockdown, etc, listening at local stores is likely out...going with an ID company I could get return privileges...maybe what I am looking at is overkill for what I use it for?? When we watch movies, it is at near reference levels...music generally loud also...not many soft listening sessions going on here:) Maybe my ears have gotten worse over the years? It seems like I want a more lively, enveloping sound than I have now...I want more detail and clarity in dialogue when watching movies, etc. I know this is like opening a can of worms as the options are many, but would appreciate any help you can lend. Thanks a bunch!
If you don't mind the utilitarian looks, PowerSound Audio has what you are looking for in spades. If not, I'd probably go with Monitor Audio (I have a Silver RX system myself), Revel, or Focal.

I also highly recommend looking into a strong subwoofer or two.

#3 · (Edited)
Hello and thank you! I had looked at the PSA MTM speakers as I love my PSA sub...it seems the high efficiency MTM's would be great for me, but I cant get past the looks...the wife wouldnt either since its in our everyday living room. If they had them in black ash/oak, that might work...but otherwise wife wont go for it:(

#5 ·
Big and pretty - ascend Sierra Horizon center

big and (arguably) ugly - Emotiva C2+

also check out Tekton Deisgn - double impact center. has a grill option available

good luck

I have heard the Horizon and its great -i'd probably have it if I could fit it into my space

C2+ very often recommended

haven't herd the tekton

#6 ·
big and (arguably) ugly - Emotiva C2+
Actually they aren't as hideous as the Emotiva website's unfortunate black-on-white-background photos would suggest, especially if you keep the grilles on. Below is one forumite's photo of them, together with T1s.
@gtsum --- the Emotivas are the best bang-for-the-buck around, imo. I would pick them over all of the other options you're considering, especially since you already have a robust amp.

Attachments

#11 ·
the martin logans are on sale/closeout for killer deals on some online websites/dealers.

#15 ·
GoldenEar Triton T5 and SuperCenter Reference.

MSRP - $3850

There is a promo on the center channel until end of the month.

Where in VA? There is the “Easternshore of VA” and the mainland LOL.

I have family in VA Beach

Hello and thank you for the info. I know nothing a out GE, so I’ll check those out also

I’m just outside of Richmond in chesterfield county

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#17 · (Edited)
#21 ·
#22 ·
I feel my center channel is weak as no matter what I do, I dont get clear and powerful vocals. There are several seating positions, so sometimes I am off axis watching a movie, other times I am straight ahead in the prime seat.
From Salk Sounds description of their Supercharged Song Center speaker:

https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Supercharged SongCenter

SEAS W15'S
These 5" woofers are a perfect choice for a center channel. First, they have excellent off-axis response so that no matter where you are in the room, the sound remains the same.
They are also highly detailed so that you hear every detail that you should from the center channel.

You can't go wrong w/ Monitor Audio, Revel, or Focal then. Very good combination of looks + lively and dynamic sound you are looking for.
Add Canton (Made in Germany) to this list.

Free matching center with purchase of their Vento 896.2 towers

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/cms/specials/specials/1.html

In addition to those named already, take a look at Salk Sound. Custom builder who generally has high WAF.

https://www.salksound.com/
X2 for Salk Sound

#23 ·
From Salk Sounds description of their Supercharged Song Center speaker:

https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Supercharged SongCenter

SEAS W15'S
These 5" woofers are a perfect choice for a center channel. First, they have excellent off-axis response so that no matter where you are in the room, the sound remains the same.
They are also highly detailed so that you hear every detail that you should from the center channel.

Add Canton (Made in Germany) to this list.

Free matching center with purchase of their Vento 896.2 towers

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/cms/specials/specials/1.html

X2 for Salk Sound
Hello and thank you for the great information! Those Canton's look sharp...seems like a heck of a deal on them also...will try and find some reviews, opinions, etc of those. Thanks again!

#24 ·
Some great recommendations in here. I am a JBL/Revel fan myself, but I have personal experience with Ascend and Goldenear and they are both solid recommendations but do have different sound signatures. The nicer Klipsch stuff is actually really great for home theater too (not the budget speakers at Best Buy). The Reference Premier speakers are affordable and a great speaker when paired with capable subs.

#25 ·
If you can swing it, get the MartinLogans. You won't be disappointed and be glad you did 5+ years down the road, I can assure you. One of the reasons for the high price of ML is that, that's it. Game over. You won't want any other speaker, even 5+ years down the road, as I am. :smile:

#27 ·
Thanks all for the advice and info! Lots to catch up on for me:)

Just got the new denon setup and rediscovering my Vons it seems (audyssey xt32 seems to have worked better than my Onkyo did), so I am going to pick up some Revels and try them out at home next to my Vons and go from there. I need something that looks halfway decent (WAF), so many ID companies are out. I will likely try the F206/F208 first...see how they compare and if not big enough difference from what I have, then maybe try the f226be's. Thanks again and will update whenever I make a final decision

#28 ·
Just curious, if the center speaker is the only concern....why not just try/replace the center only?

#36 ·
Laugh all you want, but the OP is spending more on one loudspeaker that you did for your whole 5.1 setup.
What you use is good for you, I'm happy that you're happy. But in this thread, you comments are nothing more that trolling. Perhaps you should limit yourself to the modest-budgeted posters that you help so well. Those of us who have been privileged to afford better setups don't need to read your "any surrounds will do, timbre-matching is fake news, Atmos is lousy, etc" garbage.

Reactions: craig john
#37 ·
LOL, now you're a forum moderator. How does that pay?

Anyway, at least have the common decency to admit that it's NOT just "one person" who's thoroughly debunked the "timbre matching" BS through (gasp!) DIRECT PERSONAL EXPERIENCE not academic theories/dogmas.

#44 ·
I lean Revel. I’m curious to hear your impression after trying them. You’ve had some great recommendations. In the end it will really come down to your preference. I wasn’t a fan of the SVS speakers. Love their subs, but not their speakers. I’ve come close multiple times on pulling the trigger on Salk or Ascend, but just never got there. When auditioning Golden Ear at dealers, I see the appeal. There is a lot of great things in the sound ... nice range and detail. It just isn’t my sound, always feels overly processed. Listening again to B&W 700 series at dEalers, the sound is great. It is very musical (maybe a touch warm) and has great detail. It is very forward in its presentation. Honestly there is nothing to complain about. I’ve even had the opportunity to spend some time with the 800 series at dealers and in my uncle’s 2 channel setup. B&W makes great speakers. But personally I prefer them for stereo, not home theater. The Revel just didn’t everything right for me. Presentation isn’t as forward as B&W, I feel like I’m in the 5th row. The sound feels supremely natural to me. Not a single complaint across the Concerta2, Performa3, PerformaBe, or Salon2. I’ve spent the most time with the Performa3 series daily in my current setup. I’m currently planning a new home theater build and am flipping back and forth between the Performa3 and PerformaBe. Best of luck. I look forward to hearing your impressions on what you try.

#47 ·
Will be running Denon 4500 with Emo XPA 5 channel amp (200rmsx5)
Curious....how were you powering the Vons before the Denon vs now with respect to the Emo XPA?

#48 ·
Power is the same...Emo XPA 200 watts going to each channel fed from an Onkyo AVR is the old setup. Difference is Onkyo and its room correction and the new Denon with Audysssey multieq32...thats the only thing I have changed. I cant tell yet on the center, but the mains are sounding better without a doubt...will know more about the center as we watch some more movies with it (when I do listen to music I do so in 2 channel mode with the sub also)

#64 ·
I recently put together a system consisting of Revel Performa3s and a Rythmik sub and am very happy. However, my room is smaller than yours and not completely open to a larger living area. JTR makes excellent highly-sensitive speakers that will fill large spaces very well, though they are too physically imposing for my space.

#65 ·
Ok, time to close this out. Thanks to all of you for the advice and recommendations both here and in PM’s and emails. I appreciate you taking the time to help me get back up to speed on things.

So, I redid my center channel a little by redoing the enclosure around it and this allowed me to angle it down towards the seated listening area vs firing straight out 6ft in the air. That, along with audyssey xt32 in the denon (vs my 5 year old onkyo with its version of room correction) = a significant increase in overall sound quality. More dynamic...sounds better to me...not sure if this is placebo effect??? But, it seems to sound a good bit better all around to me...in music mode audyssey has the Vons singing. Good thing too as we went and test drive this last week

It has dual 12’s along with 4 8” JL Audio cans on the tower (and 8 JL Audio speakers in the cockpit and bow)...it sounds quite good:). Working out details to pick up soon so I need all the pennies I have saved from not changing my home setup.:)

#66 ·
It has dual 12’s along with 4 8” JL Audio cans on the tower (and 8 JL Audio speakers in the cockpit and bow)...it sounds quite good:). Working out details to pick up soon so I need all the pennies I have saved from not changing my home setup.:)

I have JL Audio in my car.

"Take a beating but keep on ticking" comes to mind. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.