Turning Horizontal Center Channel so that it's straight up and down - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 05-25-2020, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Turning Horizontal Center Channel so that it's straight up and down

Guys, what would happen if I would turn my horizontal center channel straight up and down behind my AT screen?

Horizontal centers struggle with big soundstage. I was told they struggle with horizontal dispersion. I don't know why.

What do you think?

I feel like my center channel sounds small...

Yamaha Aventage 3060, 7.2.4
Goldenear Triton 1's, Supercenter XXL, 4-MPX, 4-652
4-18" Ultimax's - 16 cu ft ported, 2 - Behringer NX6000's
JVC RS500 Pro, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-Ray Player
137" wide 16:9 V6 AT Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-25-2020, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 1724

They have coming issues when you go extremely off axis.

On axis (right in front of it) will sound no different vertically or horizontally.

It could just be the center itself and the way that it’s voiced.

Centers can’t have a sound stage FYI.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 32 Old 05-25-2020, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 331 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9663 Post(s)
Liked: 7474
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAX2016 View Post
Guys, what would happen if I would turn my horizontal center channel straight up and down behind my AT screen?

Horizontal centers struggle with big soundstage. I was told they struggle with horizontal dispersion. I don't know why.

What do you think?

I feel like my center channel sounds small...
If you had a normal rectangular MTM or MMTMM center, it wouldn't be a problem.

Your GE XXXL however has trapezoidal sides so it would have a hard time standing up at 90 degrees.

Plus it has those silly passive radiators on only one of the sides, not sure how that would sound with the passive port energy being directed towards only the L or R side.

Is your center's tweeter at ear level? If not, you could try to tilt it upwards towards ear level, using rubber doorstop wedges.

If that doesn't help, consider getting a 3rd GE Triton for your center, if GE sells them in singles. If not, I'd use a mismatched center.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 2024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post

Your GE XXXL however has trapezoidal sides so it would have a hard time standing up at 90 degrees.
Standing the speaker upright on one of the non-square ends would be the biggest issue.

Quote:
Plus it has those silly passive radiators on only one of the sides, not sure how that would sound with the passive port energy being directed towards only the L or R side.
Curious... what do you think is "silly" about passive radiators? They are similar to ports, as both are resonant devices tuned to a specific frequency using the backwave of the active driver to energize the ports or the PR. The primary difference is that ports can make "port noise" whereas passive radiators can suffer from cone break up and distortion. The facing direction of the PR's is immaterial as they're tuned to a low enough frequency that the dispersion is omni-directional and not perceived as directional.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_radiator_(speaker)

Quote:
Is your center's tweeter at ear level? If not, you could try to tilt it upwards towards ear level, using rubber doorstop wedges.

If that doesn't help, consider getting a 3rd GE Triton for your center, if GE sells them in singles. If not, I'd use a mismatched center.
You forgot one very important consideration. The folded ribbon tweeter is designed for horizontal orientation. If the speaker is used vertically, the tweeter should be turned 90 degrees so it remains horizontally oriented. If the screws securing the tweeter are a perfect square, then turning the tweeter should be simple.

Overall, if the vertical CC could be turned upright and vertical, it would avoid the lobing inherent in horizontal speaker designs. This only affects the off axis seating positions, but if those are *important* seats in a theater, its worthy of consideration.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614
https://www.audioholics.com/loudspea...peaker-designs

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System (Edited Feb. 2020 to add 4K and Atmos updates)

Last edited by craig john; 05-26-2020 at 06:54 AM.
post #5 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Curious... what do you think is "silly" about passive radiators?
Just an off hand remark based on my experience of listening to speakers that have them...manufacturers and salespeople like to make a big deal about them, and many newbies easily conflate them with active drivers, but I've not been much impressed with any speakers that have them.

The only application where passive radiators seem to be genuinely useful to me is cheap and tiny bluetooth speakers (I recently bought a Cambridge Audio Oontz for kitchen countertop use which has them) that try to produce comically lower bass than they should, for the bass-heavy genres so popular these days. In full sized speakers that are already crossed over to subs, they are gimmicky at best.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)

Last edited by Zorba922; 05-26-2020 at 12:14 PM.
post #6 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
You forgot one very important consideration. The folded ribbon tweeter is designed for horizontal orientation. If the speaker is used vertically, the tweeter should be turned 90 degrees so it remains horizontally oriented. If the screws securing the tweeter are a perfect square, then turning the tweeter should be simple. Overall, if the vertical CC could be turned upright and vertical, it would avoid the lobing inherent in horizontal speaker designs. This only affects the off axis seating positions, but if those are *important* seats in a theater, its worthy of consideration.
True, yes.

post #7 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 2352
Quote:
J In full sized speakers that are already crossed over to subs, they are gimmicky at best.
Just because you don't understand how they work does not mean they are "bad"--actually, sometimes they are the only reasonable option.

To put in the simplest terms, passive radiators are "mechanical ports". Think of a tuning fork, have you've ever seen a "adjustable tuning fork?" It is a tuning fork with a weight strapped across the forks (tines?) and you adjust it up and down with the weight to change the tuning frequency. Passive radiators do the same thing, they resonate at a specific frequency (like a port does) and it is tuned with weights.

Passive radiators were theorized in the 1950's and first used by JBL in 1964 so they have been around for quite awhile. Think Polk Audio with their SDA series in the 1980's--they all used them to tune the cabinet.

Why would you use an expensive passive radiator instead of a simple port? The main reason is for very low tuning of small enclosures where a port won't fit. They are also useful if you need ported speakers in wet areas, outside areas to prevent critters from setting up house keeping or a way to prevent port overload "chuffing"

Anyone that has ever modeled a port in a small enclosure, say down below 30 Hz or lower realizes quickly that the port must be very, very long to be tuned low. Get one of those CSS SDX10 subwoofers and attempt to tune it to 20Hz in a 2.2 cubic foot box and it becomes obvious the port lenght will be very long which takes up a ton of space, demands the box becomes very large to handle such a long port and when dealing with long ports--it has it's own frequency it resonates. You don't want a port resonating on it's own at 100Hz even crossing over at 80Hz because it destroys the frequency response etc. Make the port smaller in diameter to shorten the port to prevent it resonating and it will overload quickly because the port restricts the air flow and "chuffs" The solution is to use passive radiators, generally one on either side of the box to keep them in balance and provide enough stroke to prevent damage or distortion. Generally speaking, since you need to purchase two passive radiators and they need to be long stroke (or larger diameter passive radiators) sometimes they cost more than the active subwoofer.

I know this personally, I have a 12" subwoofer tuned to 20 Hz with passive radiators--the PRs cost more than the sub. However, the cabinet I used was the perfect size for the 12 incher if I used "external ports" and my wife was not a fan. Picked up the PRs, they really don't remove internal air space like long ports do (bonus!) modeled them with software to get an idea of how much weight I needed, measured and tested--retuned a bit lower with more weight and done. You change the tuning by adding or subtracting weights and some passive radiators allow you to remove the external cap and do that without removing the device from the box. This allows simple tuning and really helps if you have other subs with different tunes to keep them about the same for better performance.

I have a boombox design sitting on my bench that will use a 2.1 channel chipamp board. A Tang Band 6.5 inch neodymium subwoofer in a 0.65 cubic foot box tuned to 29Hz works very well. The 6.5 inch sub has an Xmax of 12mm so around 1 inch of stroke so it requires a rather large port to prevent chuffing... the box size is too small, the driver dispaces too much air and lightness is required as it will be carried around. The only real option is to use two 8 inch passive radiators which gives an extra bonus, no ports for ants, spiders etc. to crawl into the boom box. Another cool oddity, ports completely unload below tuning frequency but since a PR is a physical thing--it unloads also but not completely because it must be a mass that requires force to move it. I'm not saying you don't require a high pass filter below tuning, you do but it helps.

Granted, audio salesmen really don't know what they are talking about (as usual) so why would you expect them to inform people what PRs do? Sure, they look cool because more cones increases the coolness factor and I'm sure some manufacturers spec them specifically because they look cool (KEF cough, cough) No harm in that, they have to eat but calling them "Auxilliary Bass Radiators" like it is some kind of high tech new thing is the traditional BS found in audio.

Why would they use passive radiators in bluetooth speakers? Simple, kids like watching cones move back and forth. Since passive radiators will stroke 2 to 3 times farther than an active driver--that is really COOL! Look at some car audio videos, the guy with the most cones and the longest stroke wins. Now you can sell something that is cooler that the other stuff AND it seals up the box which is a great design idea when using small, portable speakers that get exposed to rain, grass, bugs and teenagers.

In summation, PRs have been in use for the past 56 years--they are not a "gimmick" Sure, they are very, very expensive compared to a plastic tube and they must be designed right but for some uses the only option. Some people equate them to stuffing a sock in your pants--I get it but once you understand how it works--makes sense. My first speaker years ago was a 6.5 inch two-way with an 8 inch passive radiator--wonderful sounding speaker although rather large to hold the thing. These days I use passive radiators for subwoofers when ports take up too much space, I need adjustable tuning, they chuff or resonate so a nice option. I would not use them in cars, PA equipment or use them in vertical orientation but sometimes they are the perfect solution. As with everything in audio, it is always best to learn what it does before throwing it under the bus. PRs need love too!
Zorba922, Vergiliusm and sigpig like this.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
Why would you use an expensive passive radiator instead of a simple port? The main reason is for very low tuning of small enclosures where a port won't fit. They are also useful if you need ported speakers in wet areas, outside areas to prevent critters from setting up house keeping or a way to prevent port overload "chuffing"

These days I use passive radiators for subwoofers when ports take up too much space, I need adjustable tuning, they chuff or resonate so a nice option. I would not use them in cars, PA equipment or use them in vertical orientation but sometimes they are the perfect solution. As with everything in audio, it is always best to learn what it does before throwing it under the bus. PRs need love too!
Ok, you've made some good points and I have to admit PRs are not entirely useless. I hadn't thought of the "critters" angle either.

However, the "chuffing" part is only relevant if one is trying to make a small speaker hit much lower than it should, which again is needless in a world where most people use subs and very few need full-range performance out of their speakers.

But I do think that the reason Def Tech, KEF, and GE use them is exactly as you put it: "because they look cool" and allow for smaller, higher-WAF enclosures --- i.e. strictly for sales/marketing reasons not for any practical or acoustic advantage. Which is why they are absent in PERFORMANCE-driven designs where larger enclosures with normal ports are a much better idea.

post #9 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Ok, you've made some good points and I have to admit PRs are not entirely useless. I hadn't thought of the "critters" angle either.

However, the "chuffing" part is only relevant if one is trying to make a small speaker hit much lower than it should, which again is needless in a world where most people use subs and very few need full-range performance out of their speakers.

But I do think that the reason Def Tech, KEF, and GE use them is exactly as you put it: "because they look cool" and allow for smaller, higher-WAF enclosures --- i.e. strictly for sales/marketing reasons not for any practical or acoustic advantage. Which is why they are absent in PERFORMANCE-driven designs where larger enclosures with normal ports are a much better idea.
I have Klipsch Forte 111. They have a PR. I believe these speakers are more performance than the ones you constantly recommend.
post #10 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
I have Klipsch Forte 111. They have a PR. I believe these speakers are more performance than the ones you constantly recommend.
At $4K apiece, I would certainly hope so!

post #11 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
They have coming issues when you go extremely off axis.

On axis (right in front of it) will sound no different vertically or horizontally.

It could just be the center itself and the way that it’s voiced.

Centers can’t have a sound stage FYI.
Quote:

Quote:
Standing the speaker upright on one of the non-square ends would be the biggest issue.

Curious... what do you think is "silly" about passive radiators? They are similar to ports, as both are resonant devices tuned to a specific frequency using the backwave of the active driver to energize the ports or the PR. The primary difference is that ports can make "port noise" whereas passive radiators can suffer from cone break up and distortion. The facing direction of the PR's is immaterial as they're tuned to a low enough frequency that the dispersion is omni-directional and not perceived as directional.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_radiator_(speaker)

You forgot one very important consideration. The folded ribbon tweeter is designed for horizontal orientation. If the speaker is used vertically, the tweeter should be turned 90 degrees so it remains horizontally oriented. If the screws securing the tweeter are a perfect square, then turning the tweeter should be simple.

Overall, if the vertical CC could be turned upright and vertical, it would avoid the lobing inherent in horizontal speaker designs. This only affects the off axis seating positions, but if those are *important* seats in a theater, its worthy of consideration.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614
https://www.audioholics.com/loudspea...peaker-designs

Craig
I do have the center channel exactly at ear height.

As Craig knows, I have long been unhappy with my center channel. I have to just buy another Triton 1.

Interestingly, I have tried the Triton 1 as a center channel, and moved the XXL to the Left speaker. I actually liked the voicing that came out of the XXL better than the Triton 1. That's why I haven't made the purchase yet. But the XXL voices sound small to me. Ugh, I guess I'm just chasing perfection, but I don't care, I haven't been happy with the XXL center. I believe it's time to just buy another Triton 1 and use it as a center.

I am hoping that using a Triton 1 as a center will sound bigger than the XXL, and that the soundstage will integrate seamlessly which I think it would considering it's the exact same speaker. I'm also hoping that I can get used to the voicing on the Triton 1, as I said, the actual sound coming out of an XXL is clearer in the voicing range.

Any thoughts?

Yamaha Aventage 3060, 7.2.4
Goldenear Triton 1's, Supercenter XXL, 4-MPX, 4-652
4-18" Ultimax's - 16 cu ft ported, 2 - Behringer NX6000's
JVC RS500 Pro, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-Ray Player
137" wide 16:9 V6 AT Screen
post #12 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Interestingly, I have tried the Triton 1 as a center channel, and moved the XXL to the Left speaker. I actually liked the voicing that came out of the XXL better than the Triton 1. That's why I haven't made the purchase yet. But the XXL voices sound small to me. Ugh, I guess I'm just chasing perfection, but I don't care, I haven't been happy with the XXL center. I believe it's time to just buy another Triton 1 and use it as a center.

I am hoping that using a Triton 1 as a center will sound bigger than the XXL, and that the soundstage will integrate seamlessly which I think it would considering it's the exact same speaker. I'm also hoping that I can get used to the voicing on the Triton 1, as I said, the actual sound coming out of an XXL is clearer in the voicing range.
What is it about the Triton's "voicing" that you disliked? Do you mean that the XXL simply has better VOICE CLARITY, even if it does sound a lot "smaller?"

If that is the case, I would go with a mismatched center instead and toss this "seamless soundstage" theory out the window.

Because a "seamless soundstage" is worthless if you have to "get used to" poor voice clarity when watching movies. That's putting the cart before the horse, to put it bluntly.

post #13 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What about Supercenter Reference? Wouldn't that be considered a good upgrade?
post #14 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:

Quote:
At $4K apiece, I would certainly hope so!
You mentioned PERFORMANCE. Not PRICE.

BTW, They are $4k for the pair, not each.
post #15 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
You mentioned PERFORMANCE. Not PRICE.

BTW, They are $4k for the pair, not each.
My recs are 95% of the time for people who have less than half that for their entire system. Very different ballgame.

And I agree, those retro-style Klipsch are definitely performance based, since most consumers would get WAF-vetoed on them.

Amazon strangely has one listing of them for $4K apiece, which is the one my google search turned up first.
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-10642...dp/B0749RT3PL/

I can't see any difference it and the $4K/pair model:
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Forte...dp/B0767PRLVN/

post #16 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My recs are 95% of the time for people who have less than half that for their entire system. Very different ballgame.

And I agree, those retro-style Klipsch are definitely performance based, since most consumers would get WAF-vetoed on them.

Amazon strangely has one listing of them for $4K apiece, which is the one my google search turned up first.
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-10642...dp/B0749RT3PL/

I can't see any difference it and the $4K/pair model:
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Forte...dp/B0767PRLVN/

One is made by Tjernlund Products and weighs 6.5 pounds, the other isn’t.
bonepeeler likes this.

post #17 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
One is made by Tjernlund Products and weighs 6.5 pounds, the other isn’t.
Yes, that's the $4K apiece one...lol, Amazon listings.

post #18 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I mean by Zorba’a rationale, that makes Turbocharged 4 Cylinder engines not PERFORMANCE because a larger 6 Cylinder Engine is?

Same with microchip architecture getting smaller every year.

Making stuff compact is anti performance?

This is a mind boggling argument if you ask me.

post #19 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I mean by Zorba’a rationale, that makes Turbocharged 4 Cylinder engines not PERFORMANCE because a larger 6 Cylinder Engine is?
Wrong metaphor.

More like: making a cute little "sport" Civic that costs as much as a 500hp hulking muscle car and claims to have better performance.

Oh, and give that $60K Civic a "game changing!" proprietary, magical exhaust system.

post #20 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wrong metaphor.

More like: making a cute little "sport" Civic that costs as much as a 500hp hulking muscle car and claims to have better performance.

Oh, and give that $60K Civic a "game changing!" proprietary, magical exhaust system.

Not at all. In fact your supplied metaphor is so unrelated that it makes less sense than your passive radiator argument.

Same cost, same performance, smaller size.

Try e90 330i vs e90LCi 328i.

Turbo 4 vs Naturally aspirated 6 Cyl.

Not everything in the speaker market is devilish like you make it seem. Even I don’t like DefTech but that doesn’t mean people should just condemn every passive radiator design as non performance, that’s just stupid.
craig john likes this.

post #21 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I used to own a set of Forte's, the original version. They had a 12" PR mated with a 12" woofer. They had an F3 of 32 Hz. (More recent iterations of the Forte use a 15" PR with a 12" woofer. )
https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fb...te-brochure.pd

I bought them in 1986 based on the following review by Julian Hirsch, in Stereo Review.

Mr. Hirsch was the last great audio reviewer, IMO. After he passed in 2003, I pretty much quit reading "professional" reviews.

My son still owns my Forte's. We recently re-coned the woofers and changed the crossovers. They still sound AWESOME. He and his family love them. And I get to visit them when I go see my son and grandkids!

I have NO DOUBT your Forte III's are excellent and well worth their asking price. Enjoy!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
post #22 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Even I don’t like DefTech but that doesn’t mean people should just condemn every passive radiator design as non performance.
You're putting words in my mouth; I said nothing so Fox-News melodramatic.

Only this:

Quote:
Just an off hand remark based on my experience of listening to speakers that have them...manufacturers and salespeople like to make a big deal about them, and many newbies easily conflate them with active drivers, but I've not been much impressed with any speakers that have them.
I have never heard the Forte iii that MUDCAT45 mentioned, but based on previous high end Klipsch speakers I've heard, I'd expect them to sound pretty good---far better than the GEs I heard, and certainly better than any Def Tech I've ever heard.

post #23 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Just an off hand remark based on my experience of listening to speakers that have them...manufacturers and salespeople like to make a big deal about them, and many newbies easily conflate them with active drivers, but I've been much impressed with any speakers that have them.

The only application where passive radiators seem to be genuinely useful to me is cheap and tiny bluetooth speakers (I recently bought a Cambridge Audio Oontz for kitchen countertop use which has them) that try to produce comically lower bass than they should, for the bass-heavy genres so popular these days. In full sized speakers that are already crossed over to subs, they are gimmicky at best.
Seriously? You're going to write off a whole category of speaker designs because some small $25 bluetooth speaker uses them? Maybe if you understood how a PR works, it's advantages and disadvantages, and you used something besides preconceived prejudices to describe what you don't like about them, you *might* have some credibility. As it is you just appear uninformed.

Do you have the same preconceived opinions about ported speakers? You recommend them all the time. Ports use the same acoustic mechanism to produce resonant output. Do you understand how ports work?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
post #24 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I do have the center channel exactly at ear height.

As Craig knows, I have long been unhappy with my center channel. I have to just buy another Triton 1.

Any thoughts?
If you like the sound of the XXL, it might be worthwhile to try it vertically aligned. The voicing shouldn't change but the horizontal dispersion should improve. Before you buy another Triton 1, at least try it.

Turn the tweeter, figure out a way to secure it vertically, and don't even consider that the PR's are only on one side. Let us know what you think.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
post #25 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Seriously? You're going to write off a whole category of speaker designs because some small $25 bluetooth speaker uses them?
You're using the same selective reading as Russdawg, and being equally melodramatic.

Reread the blurb I quoted from my previous post.

There's nothing so absolutist as "write off a whole category" as you imagine.

I was sharing my subjective IMPRESSIONS, not making any dogmatic categorical claims.

And unlike you, I'm 100% comfortable going by "subjective IMPRESSIONS"---in fact, that's the whole (gasp!) FUN of this hobby.

If I wanted an OCD-fest for a hobby, perhaps I would have taken up collecting stamps, coins, or dead butterflies.

So, to reiterate:
  1. YES, I have never heard a speaker with passive radiators that impressed me.
  2. NO, I have not heard the Klipsch Forte iii and am perfectly open to the possibility that would not be as uninspiring as all the others.

Are you still confused???

post #26 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
You're using the same selective reading as Russdawg, and being equally melodramatic.

Reread the blurb I quoted from my previous post.

There's nothing so absolutist as "write off a whole category" as you imagine.

I was sharing my subjective IMPRESSIONS, not making any dogmatic categorical claims.

And unlike you, I'm 100% comfortable going by "subjective IMPRESSIONS"---in fact, that's the whole (gasp!) FUN of this hobby.

If I wanted an OCD-fest for a hobby, perhaps I would have taken up collecting stamps, coins, or dead butterflies.

So, to reiterate:
  1. YES, I have never heard a speaker with passive radiators that impressed me.
  2. NO, I have not heard the Klipsch Forte iii and am perfectly open to the possibility that would not be as uninspiring as all the others.

Are you still confused???
I'm not confused, but you still seem uninformed.

Lombardi said it:
post #27 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not confused, but you still seem uninformed.
Nope, just having fun.

You should try that too, more often.

post #28 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Nope, just having fun.

You should try that too, more often.
These fora would be a lot more "fun" if you posted from a position of being "informed." You have so many "Zorbites" on the forum and all you offer them is your biased, subjective impressions, often about speakers you've never even heard, simply regurgitating what you've read from the subjective impressions of other forum members. In the recent past, I've offered you a FREE UMIK-1. REW is also FREE, so for not one single dime, you could start to learn some of the technicalities of the science of audio and speakers... you know, the stuff these fora are supposed to be about. Then your advice could come from a position of technical expertise as well as your subjective, biased impressions. At least then you'd have some credibility with those of us who actually do understand some of the technical stuff.

You constant demeaning of the science of audio reminds me of... someone in a position of power who demeans and ignores the science of virus spread.

Craig
Russdawg1 and Kini62 like this.

Lombardi said it:
post #29 of 32 Old 05-26-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
These fora would be a lot more "fun" if you posted from a position of being "informed." You have so many "Zorbites" on the forum and all you offer them is your biased, subjective impressions, often about speakers you've never even heard, simply regurgitating what you've read from the subjective impressions of other forum members. In the recent past, I've offered you a FREE UMIK-1. REW is also FREE, so for not one single dime, you could start to learn some of the technicalities of the science of audio and speakers... you know, the stuff these fora are supposed to be about. Then your advice could come from a position of technical expertise as well as your subjective, biased impressions. At least then you'd have some credibility with those of us who actually do understand some of the technical stuff.

You constant demeaning of the science of audio reminds me of... someone in a position of power who demeans and ignores the science of virus spread.

Craig
ROTFL, I've never been compared to Trump before. How sweet of you!

Thank you for making my day, Craig. I think I'll be giggling into the wee hours of the morning, at this rate.

post #30 of 32 Old 05-27-2020, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 4517 Post(s)
Liked: 4179
Nothing wrong with having both the scientific and fun sides of audio presented for consideration.
Zorba922 and Vergiliusm like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page