Upgrade to SVS?

Hi all,

I'm running a 5.2.4 setup.
My ear level speakers are Athena:

AS-C1 center
AS-B1 front left & right
AS-R1 surround duty

My heights are four Klipsch R-41M

My front stage is powered by an Anthem MCA-325 while the rest is powered through a Yamaha RX - a3070.

My question is should I replace my front stage with the SVS Ultra line?
I've had my Athena speakers for probably close to 20 years and have enjoyed the sound from them very much except for the center channel.
The center has always been a point of underwhelming to unnatural sound for some but not all media consumption. I think that is why I was able to put up with it for so long because if it was consistent I would have looked into this sooner.
I'm hoping if I replace the front stage with the ultra center & bookshelfs it would make a noticable difference.
Or possibly just get the ultra center?

All advice welcomed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 53
just to get the ball rolling here, why are you considering the SVS ultra series?
post #3 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 170
An upgrade is probably in order, but most here will just throw out their favorite speakers as a recommendation. Decide what YOU like in a speaker, and start the journey. I used to have the same Athena speakers you had years ago and I can relate to the no-frills vanilla center channel that you speak of; I sold the Athena set to a friend across town who has them to this day. And yes, the SVS would be a nice upgrade, but so will Emotiva, Klipsch, Ascend. To get you started, I would recommend starting with something that gets you free return shipping like the HTD Level 3 bookshelves which would be a much enhanced version of the Athenas with a center that is no slouch.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba4me View Post
just to get the ball rolling here, why are you considering the SVS ultra series?
I have only heard good things about the ultra line from SVS especially the center channel.
Also, I was looking for the biggest center channel that would still fit in my tv stand.
The ultra would fit perfectly.

Ofcourse if there is a superior center to the ultra at a comprable price point I'm all ears!

At the end of the day it's all about weather I will be improving my current setup or just moving sideways.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
An upgrade is probably in order, but most here will just throw out their favorite speakers as a recommendation. Decide what YOU like in a speaker, and start the journey. I used to have the same Athena speakers you had years ago and I can relate to the no-frills vanilla center channel that you speak of; I sold the Athena set to a friend across town who has them to this day. And yes, the SVS would be a nice upgrade, but so will Emotiva, Klipsch, Ascend. To get you started, I would recommend starting with something that gets you free return shipping like the HTD Level 3 bookshelves which would be a much enhanced version of the Athenas with a center that is no slouch.
Ah yes.. thank you!
I was hoping for an answer like that.
Coming from a past owner really conforts my thought process.
I will consider looking at more options.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9591 Post(s)
Liked: 7420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Guthrie View Post
I will consider looking at more options.
Good for you...there is a vast, far higher "bang for the buck" world beyond SVS, which I sometimes think of as a "Bose with a conscience" audio company. (Meaning very smart marketing driven and overpriced, but unlike Bose still delivering very good performance if you're willing to pay much more for it than really necessary. And I have to admit they do have excellent service before and after the sale.)

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Good for you...there is a vast, far higher "bang for the buck" world beyond SVS, which I sometimes think of as a "Bose with a conscience" audio company. (Meaning very smart marketing driven and overpriced, but unlike Bose still delivering very good performance if you're willing to pay much more for it than really necessary. And I have to admit they do have excellent service before and after the sale.)
I happen to like SVS offerings. They put out a quality product as you mentioned, but yes, there are equally nice speaker options for much much less money.
Zorba922 likes this.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #8 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Recently set up 7.1.4 system with SVS line Pinnacle fronts, Ultra center & Ultra surround plus Elevation for heights & side. Started liking them after 2 weeks of use in acoustically treated room. Current situation doesn't give much room for demos but you could take a chance with SVS line given their great return policy.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyab View Post
Recently set up 7.1.4 system with SVS line Pinnacle fronts, Ultra center & Ultra surround plus Elevation for heights & side. Started liking them after 2 weeks of use in acoustically treated room. Current situation doesn't give much room for demos but you could take a chance with SVS line given their great return policy.
Does that mean you disliked them at first? What changed during those 2 weeks, to your ears? Just curious.

"Speaker break-in" vs "Listener break-in" is one of the oldest and most interesting unresolvable debates in this hobby.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #10 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyab View Post
It's the return policy that, no doubt, factors into the higher price. Their customer service is packaged in a way that you don't even feel the blade (price) being thrust in your side....but I guess that's what great marketing is supposed to do.
Zorba922 likes this.

post #11 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
It's the return policy that, no doubt, factors into the higher price. Their customer service is packaged in a way that you don't even feel the blade (price) being thrust in your side....but I guess that's what great marketing is supposed to do.
Perfectly put!

And the fact that SVS can sell its speakers/subs for the same price at Best Buy and Amazon as they do on their direct website---that to me suggests they have world-class marketing/sales genius at work!

post #12 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba4me View Post
Oh.. I forgot to mention as for why I was leaning toward the Ultra center.. I like the three way layout as opposed to the traditional MTM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page