Connecting 3 speakers to two channels in stero - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By RayGuy

post #1 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Connecting 3 speakers to two channels in stero

I have a room where I want to put two in-ceiling stereo speakers for house audio. There's a bathroom off of that, where I'd like to put one speaker.

For the sake of simplicity I wanted them all to be in the same zone. I'm figuring that the easiest solution is to get a dual input speaker for the bathroom, and run both inputs in parallel with the stereo speakers in the adjacent room.

I've verified that the amp could handle 4 ohms. I'm looking into 8 ohm speakers. I realize the dual inputs are generally not used for this, but I figure it might work. Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carneiro View Post
I have a room where I want to put two in-ceiling stereo speakers for house audio. There's a bathroom off of that, where I'd like to put one speaker.

For the sake of simplicity I wanted them all to be in the same zone. I'm figuring that the easiest solution is to get a dual input speaker for the bathroom, and run both inputs in parallel with the stereo speakers in the adjacent room.

I've verified that the amp could handle 4 ohms. I'm looking into 8 ohm speakers. I realize the dual inputs are generally not used for this, but I figure it might work. Am I missing something?
(While attempting to create a new post, I accidentally replied to this post, which probably created some confusion. I've since deleted the erroneous reply.)
post #3 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
(While attempting to create a new post, I accidentally replied to this post, which probably created some confusion. I've since deleted the erroneous reply.)
I think I found the obvious solution, which would be to get a single speaker that accepts inputs for stereo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Yep, dual voice coil speaker for the bathroom. If you are concerned by the 4 ohm load, you could also purchase an impedance protected speaker switch such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108...R2GBF83GMH2RRD

or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Selec...555833&sr=8-22

You can find cheaper, but you lose the individual volume control, which is a nice feature.
Carneiro likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-26-2020 at 10:08 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Yep, dual voice coil speaker for the bathroom. If you are concerned by the 4 ohm load, you could also purchase an impedance protected speaker switch such as:
Hi, and thanks for the response. The amp says it will output 100 Watts @ 4 ohms. (I guess that would work out to 33 watts per speaker.) Based on that, I'm assuming there's no reason I should be worried, especially at modest volumes. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Specs are not always accurate. You could just try it out and see how it performs. If a problem, then look at the speaker switch.
Carneiro likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Hi, and thanks for the response. The amp says it will output 100 Watts @ 4 ohms. (I guess that would work out to 33 watts per speaker.) Based on that, I'm assuming there's no reason I should be worried, especially at modest volumes. Please let me know if I'm wrong.
Ah it's not quite as simple as that, but modest volumes never cause problems (unless there's like miswiring or something).

Here are "Head_Unit’s Rules Of Protection" yeah kinda overkill to your question but here goes:
1) If when things start to sound distorted or odd you TURN IT DOWN, you are unlikely to ever break anything.
2) If you constantly "turn it up to 11" you will break something.
3) The amp and speaker power ratings do not matter. Don’t bother “matching” the amp and speaker power. That is a seemingly sensible yet actually meaningless exercise, because:
- Speaker specifications are 92% useless (and I say that as a loudspeaker engineer).
- Specs for amps are not thorough since they are measured into resistors for pragmatic reasons and speakers are not resistors at all.
- You are less likely to damage speakers with a big amp, since let’s face it everyone cranks it up sometime, and a small cheap amp is then more likely to clip and possibly put out DC and ultrasonics. (This assumes the speakers are not tiny little pieces of poop)
- Amps' 4 ohm or even 2 ohm rating is the most meaningful even if your speakers are 8 ohms. Should be 20-20k Hz, distortion under 1% or it's baloney.
- For amps "more" power means (IF specs are comparable) at least three times as much due to the logarithmic nature of hearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page