***Free Canton Vento 866.2 on A4L w/Vento 896.2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tonygeno
  • 1 Post By gbus

post #1 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 6
***Free Canton Vento 866.2 on A4L w/Vento 896.2

Hello, just wondering on this A4L Canton Vento floor stander 896.2 deal with free Vento 866.2 center is it too good to pass up ($2800 down from $6200 retail from sound approach, suggested retail even more on A4L ) or am I missing something. Also the Canton Reference 9.2 DC $1699 down from $4300.

In my starting to build L/C/R I was about to go KEF R3 L/R and the R2C as a center. As these were the only ones I was able to hear in person and liked the sound. Canton was also on final selection candidates (just headphones & You tube) but with A4L shipping and restocking fee was hesitant. I know more expensive doesn’t necessarily mean better. But are these retail prices on A4L accurate?

We do watch a lot of TV’s and movies so vocal clarity and projection are important for our center. Don’t listen much over 70-75 DB. 15x14’ room 17ft ceiling. Extends to 12x12 kitchen in addition. Probably buy speakers once every 10 yrs. More music lately but 60/40 HT.

Is the 896.2 Vento or 9.2 DC are these an audiophile step up from R3? I’ve only heard good reviews for both Canton Vento, Reference 9.2 & KEF R3. What differences if I go floor stander 8” Vento vs bookshelves KEF R3 or 9.2 DC + 2 Subs or am I overdoing it for the room with bigger 8” woofer on Vento’s. Would I need a subwoofer with 2 -8” woof on each tower.

Thank You,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 216
The only "downside" is these are all discontinued models. They are a heck of a deal though.
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Tony
post #3 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiF1 View Post
Hello, just wondering on this A4L Canton Vento floor stander 896.2 deal with free Vento 866.2 center is it too good to pass up ($2800 down from $6200 retail from sound approach, suggested retail even more on A4L ) or am I missing something. Also the Canton Reference 9.2 DC $1699 down from $4300.

In my starting to build L/C/R I was about to go KEF R3 L/R and the R2C as a center. As these were the only ones I was able to hear in person and liked the sound. Canton was also on final selection candidates (just headphones & You tube) but with A4L shipping and restocking fee was hesitant. I know more expensive doesn’t necessarily mean better. But are these retail prices on A4L accurate?

We do watch a lot of TV’s and movies so vocal clarity and projection are important for our center. Don’t listen much over 70-75 DB. 15x14’ room 17ft ceiling. Extends to 12x12 kitchen in addition. Probably buy speakers once every 10 yrs. More music lately but 60/40 HT.

Is the 896.2 Vento or 9.2 DC are these an audiophile step up from R3? I’ve only heard good reviews for both Canton Vento, Reference 9.2 & KEF R3. What differences if I go floor stander 8” Vento vs bookshelves KEF R3 or 9.2 DC + 2 Subs or am I overdoing it for the room with bigger 8” woofer on Vento’s. Would I need a subwoofer with 2 -8” woof on each tower.

Thank You,
Dan
Well, as to whether those Canton models are a step up from R3 is pretty much a matter of opinion. It depends on what sound signature sounds good to you. I will say, with dialog intelligibility being so important for movies, I think I would go with the Cantons because they are exceedingly clear and detailed. The 866.2 has received high marks as center speaker. I heard the KEF R7 at a dealer and to me it sounded soft, compared to every other speaker they had there.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II towers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T towers(Surrounds), Polk LSiM706 center, Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Sony 75" 900E.
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Onkyo TX-NR809, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-27-2020, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post
The only "downside" is these are all discontinued models. They are a heck of a deal though.
The Canton Vento 896.2 towers and 866.2 center are current models on Cantons website.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-27-2020, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think it comes down to which would you rather have....towers or bookshelves.

As I mentioned before, I have no doubt that the Canton Vento 866.2 center will sound very good.

But I want the center to sound great, so I’m considering a center from Salk Sound.

Why? Jim Salk uses better components (woofers, tweeters, crossovers). Plus I believe the crossovers are designed by Dennis Murphy, who is mentioned on AVSFORUM as one of the best designers in the world.

I will get the finish of the center to match the rest.

So you have an option to mix a Salk Sound center with any bookshelves too.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-27-2020, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombox13 View Post

As I mentioned before, I have no doubt that the Canton Vento 866.2 center will sound very good.

But I want the center to sound great, so I’m considering a center from Salk Sound.

Why? Jim Salk uses better components (woofers, tweeters, crossovers). Plus I believe the crossovers are designed by Dennis Murphy, who is mentioned on AVSFORUM as one of the best designers in the world.

--------------------

Interesting on Salk Center & mixing with Canton or KEF bookshelves. I went to their site to take a look for me would have to be one of the first 2 levels - Song Center or Song Center Ribbon.

Probably I am fine with bookshelves KEF R3 or LS50 or Canton 9.2 DC + 2 Rythmik or HSU subs. I just thought go bigger especially with that 53% off Canton Vento 896.2 + free 866.2 Center. Almost sold out.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-27-2020, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
--------------------

Interesting on Salk Center & mixing with Canton or KEF bookshelves. I went to their site to take a look for me would have to be one of the first 2 levels - Song Center or Song Center Ribbon.

Probably I am fine with bookshelves KEF R3 or LS50 or Canton 9.2 DC + 2 Rythmik or HSU subs. I just thought go bigger especially with that 53% off Canton Vento 896.2 + free 866.2 Center. Almost sold out.
Since your setup is primarily for movies and TV, instead of the Canton 9.2's why not the Vento 836.2's ($999.99 pr), an equivalent KEF, or a Salk Sound bookshelf with either the Salk Sound Veracity HT2C or Supercharged SongCenter center speaker....with RAAL tweeter?

Keep in mind that going the Salk route, the speakers have to be made and will probably take several months to complete.

I'm not trying to confuse you, just throwing ideas to maybe help you maximize your budget.

Make no mistake, the Canton Vento 896.2 with 866.2 center is absolutely a really good deal.

It just depends on if you would rather have towers. For movies and TV...Center and Subwoofer(s) are key.

59" Samsung Series 7000 Plasma TV Samsung BD-D5500 Blu-ray player
Onkyo TX-NR609 AV Receiver
Canton TBD (Center) Canton Chrono SL 596 DC (L & R)
JBL SP6CII (Frt Height & RR Surround)
Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #8 of 12 Old 05-28-2020, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
--------------------

Going with the towers certainly won’t hurt if you think the aesthetics will be better with towers over stand mounts.
Definitely take into account that a pair of quality speaker stands that you’d actually want out in full view are likely $500 ~ $1500, so that brings the 9.2 DC closer to the 896.2 with free center deal. Just some food for thought.

I went with the 9.2 stand mounts for my 100% music setup as I already had speaker stands on hand, this allowed me to also purchase 2 HSU subs and stay close to the $3k budget I had set for speakers which then allows me to budget for new power amps.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-28-2020, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

9.2 DC vs other bookshelves KEF R3, Sierra EX, Salk, Revel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbus View Post
I went with the 9.2 stand mounts for my 100% music setup as I already had speaker stands on hand, this allowed me to also purchase 2 HSU subs and stay close to the $3k budget I had set for speakers which then allows me to budget for new power amps.
------------

How do you like 9.2 DC so far, any cons? Since can't sample sound besides you tube. What do you like about it over other book shelves like KEF R3 or others you tried/listened too? Or did you have Canton experience previously. Even though I do more TV movies to music 60/40 % I really want to have good fronts for music.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-28-2020, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Salk Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombox13 View Post

----------

Looking for the best center I can get for money for my TV Movie watching with great bookshelves (Music too) so could definitely mix the center if ok to do. Is even the lowest Salk -"Song Center" equal or better for clarity projection then lets say comparable priced centers Vento 866.2 KEF R2C? or do I need to go up to Veracity?
post #11 of 12 Old 05-28-2020, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
------------

How do you like 9.2 DC so far, any cons? Since can't sample sound besides you tube. What do you like about it over other book shelves like KEF R3 or others you tried/listened too? Or did you have Canton experience previously. Even though I do more TV movies to music 60/40 % I really want to have good fronts for music.
If you got the Canton Vento 896.2 special......your 60% TV/Movies vs 40% Music will most likely switch in favor of Music.

Quote:
----------

Looking for the best center I can get for money for my TV Movie watching with great bookshelves (Music too) so could definitely mix the center if ok to do. Is even the lowest Salk -"Song Center" equal or better for clarity projection then lets say comparable priced centers Vento 866.2 KEF R2C? or do I need to go up to Veracity?
I have zero experience with Salk, my opinion is based on Salk using probably the best components available (woofers, tweeter, crossovers),
plus Dennis Murphy (one of the top crossover designers in the world) most likely has a hand in designing the crossovers.

I wouldn't go lower than the Supercharged Song Center.

If I take Salk out of my equation....the Vento 866.2 is on my short list as is the KEF Q650CC.

59" Samsung Series 7000 Plasma TV Samsung BD-D5500 Blu-ray player
Onkyo TX-NR609 AV Receiver
Canton TBD (Center) Canton Chrono SL 596 DC (L & R)
JBL SP6CII (Frt Height & RR Surround)
Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #12 of 12 Old 05-29-2020, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
------------

So far I’m really liking the 9.2’s and the only cons I come up with are that I didn’t buy these speakers last year when they were marked down to their lowest price.
I guess the only other con is that now I’d like to add an external power amp, I believe the 9.2’s could benefit from having some headroom as my receiver is at the low end of their power rating and I’m hesitant to push it further as it sits now, so that will cost me a few more $$$.

I do have previous experience with the brand owning 5 pairs of Canton speakers from the Chrono and Vento line, so it wasn’t a difficult choice going with these speakers sight unseen.
They are still so new to my setup that it’s hard to give much in the way of absolute details, not that I’m good at that anyway. But I can say that I’m enjoying them enough that I have no plans to swap my Focal Aria’s back into this setup anytime soon. Sound quality wise, I’d probably rate the 9.2 a notch above my other Canton speakers from the Vento line. The tweeter is just a tad bit smoother and well defined to my ears but that has not been tested in an A/B manner as my other Vento’s are spread out on different systems, so It’s apple’s to oranges perception and not scientific in any way.

I have the Vento 876 towers in my 5.1 setup at this time. Prior to that the 876’s were in a 2.0 music setup only it was more near field then my listening room allows after rearranging the room.
I was extremely happy with those speakers at that time but if I’d have had this 2 channel only room laid out like it is now, I’d have likely gone for the larger 896’s and an external power amp and been more than satisfied without need of any additional low end drivers being strictly for music listening.
I really think for your situation and needs it probably comes down to which offers the better overal deal and aesthetics. I think both options should be pretty equal in sound quality so I’d look at versatility in a multi use setup and cost.
In your situation I kind of like the tower deal as you get the center channel as part of the package and being HT you need a sub or two anyway but then with the AVR you have the option of switching over from multi channel and running just the towers full range without dealing with subwoofer integration which might be nice in some situations.

I guess that’s my take on it, good luck.
cocrh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page