Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 05-27-2020, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Kef Q150 Vs Chane A1.5

I currently have a Elac Debut B5/C5 LCR which has been pretty good for movies and music but we are upgrading our living room and I want to put the speakers on our new entertainment center instead of on stands. Given the large size of the TV, there is only 7.7 inches of clearance on each side of the TV to place bookshelf speakers. My current Elacs are just slightly too wide, probably work for now but looking for something that fits the room better. My biggest complain about the B5/C5 combo is that dialog is not always as clear as I would like. We use the speakers 90% movies and TV. Speakers will be crossed over with a SVS SB-3000. The room is very large with vaulted ceilings (Sloped to the top, around 25-39ft tall) and an open back to the dining room. The size is hard to estimate given that the vaulted celingings open up to the second floor but playing with the math its probably around 7,000 cu feet.

Some speakers that might work well are the Kef Q150 and Chane A1.5. Looking to stay under 1k for the LCR combo. A good center is very important as this is mostly used for movies and TV. It will likey be placed in the entertainment center. I realize using small bookshelf speakers in a large room and putting the center in a cabinet is not idea. Please realize that this is an alternative to a soundbar in a mixed use living room, not an attempt to best IMAX. That being said I still would like to get the best experience possible given the restrictions.

Kef is appealing for their modern look and wide sweetspot as this is a multiuse living room. I almost bought the Chanes when I got my Elacs and always kind of regretting not going for Chane. Anyone have experience with these speakers? Also looking at Canton GLE but cant find a lot about them. I am also interested Aperion, NHT and Ascend Acoustics. Keep in mind that WAF is a major factor and I want these to look nice in a "rustic mid century" home.

Other speakers I have considered are the NHT C1 and Aperion B5. Both with matching centers. Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 looks really nice too but I heard the center isn't ideal.

This is the entertainment center. We will have a grey couch and natural wood finishes in the room along with a light colored rug. Considering white speakers but its not needed. My sub is in a piano gloss finish.
https://www.furnitech.com/collection...onsole-ft82wsg

Will the Kef Q150 hold up in such a large room? Will i get audible distortion from the woofer when its in high excusion?

TV: TCL 6 Series 75"
Speakers: Hsu Research HB-1 and HC-1
Sub: SVS SB-3000
AVR: Yamaha HTR-4065
Previously Owned Equipment: Elac B5 and C5, SVS PB10-NSD

Last edited by mevansmusic; 05-28-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-27-2020, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
The solution is to mount your TV on the wall in order to give yourself room for a good centre speaker.
post #3 of 31 Old 05-27-2020, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
The solution is to mount your TV on the wall in order to give yourself room for a good centre speaker.
Sorry if I didn't make it clear. The TV is wall mounted. I will have a dedicated matching center so only speakers with dedicated matching center are being considered.The center will be sitting in the entertainment center with the doors slid open when not in use. Not the ideal solution but one that works for our mixed use space.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 05-27-2020, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevansmusic View Post
wide sweetspot as this is a multiuse living room
Are you looking for wide dispersion speakers or wide sweetspot speakers? It sounds to me you are looking for wide dispersion speakers since you mentioned multiuse, so I assume you'll not be seating in a single location doing critical music listening, but just anywhere in the room.

Because you said your application is 90% movies, then I'd focus more on what center speaker is best, and find the matching fronts.

This is mostly theoretical, as I haven't heard either speaker, so take it with a grain of salt. I'd say the KEF may be a better center speaker choice. The Chane is a 2 way design, and I suspect the crossover is somewhere in the 2K hz, and these type of designs cause lobing issues. In contrast, the KEF Q250C is a 2.5 way design. I haven't been able to find the low pass filter spec for the LF woofer, but most 2.5 are in the 500hz range, so I'd suspect the KEF to be in similar range. This type of designs greatly helps counter lobing issues. Again, in theory, cause I haven't seen reviews addressing this particular problem.

The midrange is 5.25" so bigger than most 3 way designs (4"), but my understanding is that this goes all the way down along with the side LF woofer, and I don't know if that fact lends itself for the midrange to not be as precise as 3 way designs.

In terms of performance, almost every review about the Q series, have them as "full" sounding, so you'll get plenty a bass. They are also known for voice clarity, excellent image and soundstage, so it crosses most boxes. On criticism is that the high may fall a little, so it is not to forward, and some people may like this for movies. Personally, I like speakers more neutral and warm.

In comparison, I hear the Chane are excellent speakers, so you can't go wrong. One assumption I'll make based on what I have read of other people, is the there is a chance the Chane might have better detail, specially because of the type of tweeter used, but KEF may work better all around for movies.

Again, best is for you to hear them, audition them. If I were to go and blind purchase them, I'd go with the KEF based on what I explained above.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HB-1 MK2 | HC-1 MK2 | Pioneer SP-BS22
post #5 of 31 Old 05-27-2020, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP4f1 View Post
Are you looking for wide dispersion speakers or wide sweetspot speakers? It sounds to me you are looking for wide dispersion speakers since you mentioned multiuse, so I assume you'll not be seating in a single location doing critical music listening, but just anywhere in the room.

Because you said your application is 90% movies, then I'd focus more on what center speaker is best, and find the matching fronts.

This is mostly theoretical, as I haven't heard either speaker, so take it with a grain of salt. I'd say the KEF may be a better center speaker choice. The Chane is a 2 way design, and I suspect the crossover is somewhere in the 2K hz, and these type of designs cause lobing issues. In contrast, the KEF Q250C is a 2.5 way design. I haven't been able to find the low pass filter spec for the LF woofer, but most 2.5 are in the 500hz range, so I'd suspect the KEF to be in similar range. This type of designs greatly helps counter lobing issues. Again, in theory, cause I haven't seen reviews addressing this particular problem.

The midrange is 5.25" so bigger than most 3 way designs (4"), but my understanding is that this goes all the way down along with the side LF woofer, and I don't know if that fact lends itself for the midrange to not be as precise as 3 way designs.

In terms of performance, almost every review about the Q series, have them as "full" sounding, so you'll get plenty a bass. They are also known for voice clarity, excellent image and soundstage, so it crosses most boxes. On criticism is that the high may fall a little, so it is not to forward, and some people may like this for movies. Personally, I like speakers more neutral and warm.

In comparison, I hear the Chane are excellent speakers, so you can't go wrong. One assumption I'll make based on what I have read of other people, is the there is a chance the Chane might have better detail, specially because of the type of tweeter used, but KEF may work better all around for movies.

Again, best is for you to hear them, audition them. If I were to go and blind purchase them, I'd go with the KEF based on what I explained above.
Thanks. I think I meant wide dispersion. I want the dialog to be clear regardless of where people are seated in the living room. I think I can actually fit a Q650 in my entertainment center. A bit expensive but might be worth it for movies.

post #6 of 31 Old 05-27-2020, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 661
I have the Chane A1.4's, which replaced Q100's up front. They are both good speakers in the ~$300 price range.

The Q150, from what I hear, is a different animal than its predecessor. If you are intent on trying to fill that space with small, stand mount speakers for mostly movie/TV watching, I would lean towards the Chanes. On paper the concentric drivers and first order crossover(assuming the Q150 is the same as the Q100 in that regard)wouldn't lend itself to being pushed as hard, although I will say in practice, they surprised me, but weren't as robust as the Chanes.

The detail and clarity on my A1.4's are very good, as they were on the Q100's. The Q150's have toned down some of that treble energy, but I would expect them to be a top performer in that price range as well.

Btw, is that a little Ultimax 8" in your avatar pic?

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #7 of 31 Old 05-27-2020, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 180
If you don't mind the looks...I'd recommend the JBL 530 bookshelves as well....free returns if not to your liking.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #8 of 31 Old 05-27-2020, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks. I think I meant wide dispersion. I want the dialog to be clear regardless of where people are seated in the living room. I think I can actually fit a Q650 in my entertainment center. A bit expensive but might be worth it for movies.
Then I think you meant wide sweetspot . I mentioned wide dispersion because you said multi "purpose", so I was trying to understand what the many purposes were. However, you can't have sweetspots on all seats, but you can have good sound on most seats, but the speaker is only part of the equation, your room acoustics is the other part. The sweetspot refers to the main listening area, and the wider the sweetspot, the best you can move to the left or right of that position without a noticeable quality degradation.

Both speakers mentioned will give good dialog clarity, so it won't be the factor that hinders dialog clarity. Your room acoustics will play a bigger factor on whether you can achieve your target for all seats.

Yamaha RX-V673 | HSU HB-1 MK2 | HC-1 MK2 | Pioneer SP-BS22
post #9 of 31 Old 05-27-2020, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
I currently have a Elac Debut B5/C5 LCR which has been pretty good for movies and music but we are upgrading our living room and I want to put the speakers on our new entertainment center instead of on stands. Given the large size of the TV, there is only 7.7 inches of clearance on each side of the TV to place bookshelf speakers. My current Elacs are just slightly too wide, probably work for now but looking for something that fits the room better. My biggest complain about the B5/C5 combo is that dialog is not always as clear as I would like. We use the speakers 90% movies and TV. Speakers will be crossed over with a SVS SB-3000. The room is very large with vaulted ceilings (Sloped to the top, around 25-39ft tall) and an open back to the dining room. The size is hard to estimate given that the vaulted celingings open up to the second floor but playing with the math its probably around 7,000 cu feet.

Some speakers that might work well are the Kef Q150 and Chane A1.5. Looking to stay under 1k for the LCR combo.
I don't have anything to contribute on the sound aspect of those speakers as I've not heard them, both are highly regarded models based on what I've read here.

The plan is to get one of those as FL/FR and add a same brand center? Kef 250c/650c or Chane 2.4?

For TV/movies use, that's where you need the clarity as that's where almost all the dialog comes from in any modern production. If dialog clarity is your first concern, maybe it would be better to first decide which center you prefer of the two brands and then add the bookshelf according to that. You can mix too though.

Last edited by AlexLac; 05-27-2020 at 11:35 PM.
post #10 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. It's an old SVS PB10-NSD in my pic. Using a SB-3000 these days.

Seems like it's hard to go wrong with either option. I understand that my system is underpowered for the space but this the alternative to a sound bar. Hoping to get the biggest sound in the smallest space 😊
post #11 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

I will be running this in a 3.1 system so center is super important.
post #12 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Liked: 1634
Another Q150 could be placed on its side as a center. Then you'd have 3 of the exact same speaker up front. some places such as AC4L sell the Q150 as a single if you chose to use one as a center
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...speaker/1.html

Afro GT
post #13 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
The usual suspects - Kef, Chane, Ascend, Klipsch, Polk, etc will all do well in your room.
You can build a fantastic LCR with any of them. At some point, it comes down to two things:
1. Do you like the sound of the speakers (ie: clarity, wide sweetspot, dynamics, etc); and
2. Will they actually look decent in a living room.

If you have the ability, I would seriously consider ordering some centre-channel speakers from Crutchfield (60-day audition with $10 return shipping for "small" boxes - bookshelf and centres), HTD (Level Three centre - free return shipping on your FIRST purchase of bookshelf or centre), Ascend Acoustics (CMT-340SE Centre - 30-day audition, but you have to pay return shipping), Chane (A2.4 - 30-day audition, but have to pay return shipping). This way you can find the best centre speaker for your room. After that, your left/right channels will be easy... lol
mevansmusic and Ryan Statz like this.
post #14 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I'm surprised the Elacs don't sound clear. They're very flat and accurate speakers. Are you using room correction software like Audessey on your receiver? That's important. I suspect you have a room or placement issue and less a speaker issue.
post #15 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
I'm surprised the Elacs don't sound clear. They're very flat and accurate speakers. Are you using room correction software like Audessey on your receiver? That's important. I suspect you have a room or placement issue and less a speaker issue.
They sound clear for the most part but I cant help but feel that there is just a little clarity missing from them. Obviously they sound much more clear than the Vizio soundbar in the bedroom. The bigger issue is that they are kind of ugly and a bit too big for the entertainment center we are getting. Overall they are great speakers but I find that I prefer them for music over movies. I'd like something that prioritizes speaking dialog over music.

Honestly I think the B5s are amazing, I think its the C5 center that really holds it back.

post #16 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9569 Post(s)
Liked: 7382
Quote:
Thanks guys. It's an old SVS PB10-NSD in my pic. Using a SB-3000 these days.

Seems like it's hard to go wrong with either option. I understand that my system is underpowered for the space but this the alternative to a sound bar. Hoping to get the biggest sound in the smallest space 😊
It's too bad you went with a sealed sub in such a huge space...a PB2000 or PB3000 would have been a much better idea than the SB3000 for your 90% HT usage. Are you still within the return period?

The easiest solution given your WAF needs is 3 x RSL CG23, at $200 apiece. These come with free return shipping so you'd have nothing to lose, and they are available in white at no extra cost. The RSLs are very nice looking and are front ported, so they can be placed close against a wall if needed.

If you want to take it up another notch, I'd do 2 x CG23 for the L/R but 1 x CG25 for the center...the bigger 5.25" woofers on the CG25 would be good to have there. Of course, if budget allows, 3 x CG25 would be even better. Your call.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #17 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The usual suspects - Kef, Chane, Ascend, Klipsch, Polk, etc will all do well in your room.
You can build a fantastic LCR with any of them. At some point, it comes down to two things:
1. Do you like the sound of the speakers (ie: clarity, wide sweetspot, dynamics, etc); and

If you have the ability, I would seriously consider ordering some centre-channel speakers from Crutchfield (60-day audition with $10 return shipping for "small" boxes - bookshelf and centres), HTD (Level Three centre - free return shipping on your FIRST purchase of bookshelf or centre), Ascend Acoustics (CMT-340SE Centre - 30-day audition, but you have to pay return shipping), Chane (A2.4 - 30-day audition, but have to pay return shipping). This way you can find the best centre speaker for your room. After that, your left/right channels will be easy... lol
This is brilliant. Might give that a shot. Too bad I can't demo the Kef center as well.

post #18 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
It's too bad you went with a sealed sub in such a huge space...a PB2000 or PB3000 would have been a much better idea than the SB3000 for your 90% HT usage. Are you still within the return period?

The easiest solution given your WAF needs is 3 x RSL CG23, at $200 apiece. These come with free return shipping so you'd have nothing to lose, and they are available in white at no extra cost. The RSLs are very nice looking and are front ported, so they can be placed close against a wall if needed.

If you want to take it up another notch, I'd do 2 x CG23 for the L/R but 1 x CG25 for the center...the bigger 5.25" woofers on the CG25 would be good to have there. Of course, if budget allows, 3 x CG25 would be even better. Your call.
I could resell it as I bought it second hand at a great price, so I wouldn't take much of a loss. I spent $700 and it came with the Isolation feet (Which I am not sure I really need with a tile floor on concrete foundation) and piano gloss finish. Obviously I realized that it would not give the most SPL at 20hz per dollar. It was an upgrade from my SVS PB10-NSD which was "too big" for our space. I do notice a bit less output at below 30hz or so but I feel that it is an upgrade from what I had before. Overall I am very pleased with the SB-3000 considering its compact size. Not trying to justify it, just explain my reasoning. The other sub I was seriously considering was a Hsu ULS-15 MKII, again, for its small form factor. As mentioned I am not trying to pressurize this huge room or hit reference levels. Just trying to find a good compromise between sound quality and WAF. This is essentially an alternative to a soundbar.

I had not even considered a RSL speaker. I think the CG23 is a great solution. The CG25 could work great for the center too. Thanks for the advice and understanding.
Zorba922 likes this.

Last edited by mevansmusic; 05-28-2020 at 11:56 AM.
post #19 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post

Should I be worried about the MTM design on the CG23? Isn't "lobing" usually an issue with these types of designs? I think that is one of the problems with my Elac C5.

post #20 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Should I be worried about the MTM design on the CG23? Isn't "lobing" usually an issue with these types of designs? I think that is one of the problems with my Elac C5.
"Lobing" would mostly come into play if you regularly host large viewing parties where people are spread out all over the room. If it's just you and one other person sitting directly in front of the center in the "sweet spot" then no. There are definitely advantages with a 3 way center of course, but a well designed 2 way MTM can perform very well too. Off axis performance gets a bit overhyped on forums like this, imo.

ELAC frequently gets complaints about their center speakers; Andrew Jones does not seem to put nearly as much effort into their design as he does on their mains. His Pioneer C22 is the single most often complained about center speaker on this forum. His few 3 way centers seem to do better though.

Anyway, I'd make full use of RSL's free return shipping policy. That, and the fact that their speakers are front ported and high-WAF without being outrageously overpriced (cough cough, KEF) is why I recommend them. Plus I haven't seen anyone complain about their centers, either.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #21 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
This is brilliant. Might give that a shot. Too bad I can't demo the Kef center as well.
I see the Q650c sold by Crutchfield if you do wanna take advantage of that return policy. However, Amazon has the 250c for $200 less. That discount is for black only.

FWIW.... I used to run the older model Q100s in a 5.1 setup, using another q100 as a center for at least a year. I eventually found a q200c used for a decent price. The q100 did not lack any detail compared to the q200c. The biggest difference was in the fullness of sounds. Detail seemed pretty much the same to me.

I realize these were different models, but thought it was worth noting as they are still the same company and these are next generations of the same speaker line
post #22 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
I see the Q650c sold by Crutchfield if you do wanna take advantage of that return policy. However, Amazon has the 250c for $200 less. That discount is for black only.

FWIW.... I used to run the older model Q100s in a 5.1 setup, using another q100 as a center for at least a year. I eventually found a q200c used for a decent price. The q100 did not lack any detail compared to the q200c. The biggest difference was in the fullness of sounds. Detail seemed pretty much the same to me.

I realize these were different models, but thought it was worth noting as they are still the same company and these are next generations of the same speaker line
I didn't realize they had it. I will probably demo it at the same time as the RSL CG23. Pretty exciting to demo speakers this time!

post #23 of 31 Old 05-28-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize they had it. I will probably demo it at the same time as the RSL CG23. Pretty exciting to demo speakers this time!
Am eagerly looking forward to reading about your impressions of both speakers...fascinating matchup: dual 4" woofers of the RSL vs single 5.25" woofer and 5.25" passive radiator of the 250C (whose $600 MSRP cracks me up).

post #24 of 31 Old 05-29-2020, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So when auditioning should I just hook up the center and leave my Elac B5 L and R up? Just put on a movie and see how the dialog is? Then do it again with the next speaker? Any other recommended testing methods?

post #25 of 31 Old 05-29-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
So when auditioning should I just hook up the center and leave my Elac B5 L and R up? Just put on a movie and see how the dialog is? Then do it again with the next speaker?
Yes. Your receiver automatically sends 98% of the dialogue to the center channel. The L/R speakers are much less important during HT than popularly believed.
mevansmusic likes this.

post #26 of 31 Old 05-29-2020, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 564
If you listen to reference levels or sit beyond 8 ft. I'm not a huge fan of KEF's 2-way 5 1/4" speakers for HT (***specifically HT***). You have to cross them over at minimum 100hz up to 160hz to avoid IMD distortion caused by the excursion. Stepping up to their 6 1/2" drivers allows to a lower crossover point (60hz-80hz but i prefer 60hz in my case). I sit 9 ft and listen any-wheres between -5 to -15 on average with no issues.

I love KEF but using a 5 1/4" 2-way driver for more than near-field listening or low/moderate HT use is a bad idea.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Revel Concerta2 M16, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
post #27 of 31 Old 05-29-2020, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
If you listen to reference levels or sit beyond 8 ft. I'm not a huge fan of KEF's 2-way 5 1/4" speakers for HT (***specifically HT***). You have to cross them over at minimum 100hz up to 160hz to avoid IMD distortion caused by the excursion. Stepping up to their 6 1/2" drivers allows to a lower crossover point (60hz-80hz but i prefer 60hz in my case). I sit 9 ft and listen any-wheres between -5 to -15 on average with no issues.

I love KEF but using a 5 1/4" 2-way driver for more than near-field listening or low/moderate HT use is a bad idea.
This is the information I was looking for. I have had people tell me its not a problem and others say it is. My listening position is around 12 feet from the speakers and its a very large room. I may still demo the center if I can get the $10 return shipping with crutchfield.

post #28 of 31 Old 05-29-2020, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is the information I was looking for. I have had people tell me its not a problem and others say it is. My listening position is around 12 feet from the speakers and its a very large room. I may still demo the center if I can get the $10 return shipping with crutchfield.

NP, I love KEF but i'm not afraid to call it how it is. Some people want to defend their purchases but facts are facts. There's a reason why KEF uses such a high crossover on the 5 1/4" uni-q on their R , Reference, Blade, Muon.

You'll also find ton's pictures of blown uni-q drivers from over excursion.

I nearly blew my Q750s the other evening because i forgot to turn on my subs again (listening at -15, reference 0db offset during an intense LFE scene on Star Trek) but with a 60/80hz crossover their solid up to reference levels.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Revel Concerta2 M16, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
post #29 of 31 Old 05-29-2020, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
NP, I love KEF but i'm not afraid to call it how it is. Some people want to defend their purchases but facts are facts. There's a reason why KEF uses such a high crossover on the 5 1/4" uni-q on their R , Reference, Blade, Muon.

You'll also find ton's pictures of blown uni-q drivers from over excursion.

I nearly blew my Q750s the other evening because i forgot to turn on my subs again (listening at -15, reference 0db offset during an intense LFE scene on Star Trek) but with a 60/80hz crossover their solid up to reference levels.
In my experience with both Q100's & LS50's, not having subs on would be immediately noticeable They will sound pretty thin without subs, though the same could be said for most speakers of similar size.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #30 of 31 Old 05-29-2020, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
In my experience with both Q100's & LS50's, not having subs on would be immediately noticeable They will sound pretty thin without subs, though the same could be said for most speakers of similar size.

The combination of the Q750/Q650 has gobs amount of bass surprisingly. Mind you I noticed the subs off within the first 2 minutes but they produce a massive/deep/punchy sound.
They're just not designed to be played full range for HT... if only KEF would of used a 3-way crossover OR if reference offset was set to 10/15 instead of 0.

The point i was making is any Uni-Q being played full range has extremely low limits IMO. Crossed over it's a different story but the larger 8" and 6 1/2" can be crossed over much lower.
The only way i would be satisfied with a high 100-160hz crossover with the 5 1/4" drivers would be with a Rythmik F18.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page