1Likes
  • 1 Post By DrJayDub

post #1 of 13 Old 05-27-2020, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Speakers humming

I recently got some new speakers (JBL 305p) and they're making a humming sound. How do I eliminate it? I have the speakers at 50% and the hum is still unacceptably loud.

I'm using cables similar to these... https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-159-...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Is the cable the problem? Is there a better option?

The back of the speakers say "balanced input". The cable I'm using is TS which is unbalanced, right? Should I be using TRS or XLR instead?

The audio output I'm using is the AUX directly from the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-27-2020, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Payne View Post
...speakers at 50% and the hum is still unacceptably loud...back of the speakers say "balanced input"...The audio output I'm using is the AUX directly from the TV.
1) First off, stick some sensitive headphones and be sure the hum is not coming out of the AUX itself. I had older iMacs that were like that, the headphone output just wasn't clean.
2) Disconnect the cables entirely, do the speakers hum by themselves? Do they BOTH hum?
3) If you adjust volume up/down, does the hum get louder/softer? Or stays the same level?
post #3 of 13 Old 05-27-2020, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
1) First off, stick some sensitive headphones and be sure the hum is not coming out of the AUX itself. I had older iMacs that were like that, the headphone output just wasn't clean.
OK just tried it. Headphones sound good.

Quote:
2) Disconnect the cables entirely, do the speakers hum by themselves? Do they BOTH hum?
Humming stops when I disconnect the cables. There is a little hiss coming from the tweeter but i can only hear it when my ear is right against it so not an issue. Yes they both hum equally.

Quote:
3) If you adjust volume up/down, does the hum get louder/softer? Or stays the same level?
The hum get louder when I turn the volume up on the speakers. The hum doesn't change when I adjust the TV volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-28-2020, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody?
post #5 of 13 Old 05-28-2020, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Anybody?
Sounds like it must be caused by that "Hosa CMP-159 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Stereo Breakout Cable" then, if the humming stops when you disconnect that adapter cable, while still having the speaker power cable plugged in.

Have you tried disconnecting the [speaker wires?] from one speaker to the other? Perhaps some sort of noise interference could be jumping onboard via your speaker-to-speaker connection? Just a thought.

Or plugging the power cable into different plugs on your surge suppressor? I'm not sure if a surge suppressor can cause the humming, but it seems like I read a review once where someone thought theirs was causing a hum. IMHO, Tripp-lite makes the best suppressors.

But if no joy, then it may be some kind of interference caused by that "Hosa CMP-159 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Stereo" cable adapter btwn your tv--and--speakers.

Note: We set-up the Edifier S2000Pro 's alongside one of our tv's approx 18 months ago -- via Toslink Optical Digital cable from tv to speakers (as we didn't want to chance/trust the Aux connection)-- and we've been really happy with the Optical cable connection, for lossless digital audio w/tv set to PCM, as the tv soundstage has been greatly improved with no discernable distortion or noise or humming whatsoever.

Last edited by M2609; 05-28-2020 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Italicised
post #6 of 13 Old 05-28-2020, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2609 View Post

Have you tried disconnecting the [speaker wires?] from one speaker to the other? Perhaps some sort of noise interference could be jumping onboard via your speaker-to-speaker connection? Just a thought.

Or plugging the power cable into different plugs on your surge suppressor? I'm not sure if a surge suppressor can cause the humming, but it seems like I read a review once where someone thought theirs was causing a hum. IMHO, Tripp-lite makes the best suppressors.
Tried that... no luck.

What I don't understand is the humming will come and go randomly.

Can anybody answer my question about the balanced vs unbalanced cables?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-28-2020, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Is the hum more of a hissing static sound? These JBL monitors all hiss a bit. It’s a known “feature”. I had some and found it very annoying. I had to switch them off whenever I wasn’t playing music.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-28-2020, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 3475 Post(s)
Liked: 3690
Humming is typically a ground loop. Where are the speakers plugged in? Can you test them all plugged into the same power strip as the TV?

You could try a ground isolator: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=ground+...-diversity_3_9

Edit: Re. balanced cables -- A TS connector is unbalanced, yes, but I really doubt that your TV has a balanced output. The transmitting and receiving ends need balanced circuits, not just the cable. There are adapters you can buy to do the conversion but I'd try one of the ground isolators first.

Edit 2: Obligatory bad joke -- Can't you just teach them the words?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; 05-29-2020 at 12:45 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-29-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
What I don't understand is the humming will come and go randomly.
That makes it tougher! It does indeed sound like a ground loop. If the TV is OFF does it hum? I have a weird deal with a laptop into a receiver, when the laptop shuts down then I get a really nasty hum. Unfortunately I have not found a ground loop isolator worth a darn, I think they are all too cheap or something.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-29-2020, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That makes it tougher! It does indeed sound like a ground loop. If the TV is OFF does it hum? I have a weird deal with a laptop into a receiver, when the laptop shuts down then I get a really nasty hum. Unfortunately I have not found a ground loop isolator worth a darn, I think they are all too cheap or something.
Yes, they hum all the time. I just walked downstairs and could hear them before I got in the room... and they're only at half volume!

I was planning to watch a movie tonight but I will need to disconnect my new speakers and hook up my old sound bar.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-29-2020, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Yes, they hum all the time. I just walked downstairs and could hear them before I got in the room... and they're only at half volume!

I was planning to watch a movie tonight but I will need to disconnect my new speakers and hook up my old sound bar.
Does sound like a ground loop of some sort. Often cable TV/internet coax can cause this. Do you have a cable/coax hooked in your system, connected either to the TV or AVR? If so, disconnect and see if the problem goes away.
M2609 likes this.

Yup, I got stuff...
LG OLED65C7P, LG 55EG9100
Marantz SR6012, Classe Sigma Amp5, Oppo BDP-203
PSB Synchrony One mains, Synchrony two center and surrounds, 2x SVS SB12-NSD
XBox One X
post #12 of 13 Old 05-29-2020, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
my top 2 guesses are location of gear or wiring.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #13 of 13 Old 05-29-2020, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 6806 Post(s)
Liked: 4927
Quote:

I'd put a ground loop isolator on each speaker. I'd avoid the cheap ones you see on amazon and get a blue jeans cable isolation transformer. Those kill the hums without also killing some of the bass - most of the other cheapo isolators take out half the bass wtih the hum.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page