~$1500 Budget For 5.0: Chane A5.5 vs Emotiva T2+? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #1 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 31
~$1500 Budget For 5.0: Chane A5.5 vs Emotiva T2+?

As the title says, I have about $1500 (give or take) to spend on 2 new towers, a center, and 2 surround speakers. I haven't had the opportunity to hear either of these, however they're constantly recommended online so I'm curious to get opinions on which way I should go.

Room is ~10ftx14ft with 10ft ceilings. Viewing distance is about 8 feet and I do have some sound treatment in the room (6 25"x41"x3" acoustic panels).
I tend to value clarity and impact heavily. Some of my favorite speakers I've listened to are Goldenear Triton 5's because of their ridiculous clarity and detailed/wide sound stage (which is what drives me towards these two sets with ribbon tweeters). 90% of my listening is HT usage and I do tend to crank it a bit as I love the impact and immersion of loud movies.
Currently would be paired with a Denon X1400h but might upgrade that eventually.
Subs are to be determined, but likely 2x HSU VTF-3 MK5's as my next purchase.

Chane: 2x A5.5 L/R towers, 1x A2.4 center, 2x A1.5 surrounds. Total cost shipped is $1,565.80 currently.
Emotiva: 2x T2+ L/R towers, 1x C2+ center, 2x B1+ surrounds. Total cost shipped is about $1,350.00 due to current EmoBucks promotion (could order T2+ and B1+ now and more or less get the C2+ free when back in stock).

My research tells me the Chanes would fit my desires more (clarity and volume), but the Emotivas seem to be right in line as well and a couple hundred bucks cheaper currently (cost difference isn't a big factor to me though). I like the looks of the Chanes better, but the Emotiva C2+ has always been regarded as a very good center which intrigues me so I'm torn.

In this position, which setup would you go for?

EDIT: I've made plenty of posts like this in the past, however I will actually be ordering within 24 hours this time

Last edited by Disarmer; 05-27-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Go with the Emotivas if you're good with their looks. The Chane Big System bundle would also be a fine choice. Can't go wrong with either.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
post #3 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10181 Post(s)
Liked: 7213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarmer View Post
As the title says, I have about $1500 (give or take) to spend on 2 new towers, a center, and 2 surround speakers. I haven't had the opportunity to hear either of these, however they're constantly recommended online so I'm curious to get opinions on which way I should go.

Room is ~10ftx14ft with 10ft ceilings. Viewing distance is about 8 feet and I do have some sound treatment in the room (6x 3" acoustic panels).
I tend to value clarity and impact heavily. Some of my favorite speakers I've listened to are Goldenear Triton 5's because of their ridiculous clarity and detailed/wide sound stage. 90% of my listening is HT usage and I do tend to crank it a bit as I love the impact and immersion of loud movies.
Currently would be paired with a Denon X1400h but might upgrade that eventually.

Chane: 2x A5.5 L/R towers, 1x A2.4 center, 2x A1.5 surrounds. Total cost shipped is $1,565.80 currently.
Emotiva: 2x T2+ L/R towers, 1x C2+ center, 2x B1+ surrounds. Total cost shipped is about $1,350.00 due to current EmoBucks promotion (could order T2+ and B1+ now and more or less get the C2+ free when back in stock).

My research tells me the Chanes would fit my desires more (clarity and volume), but the Emotivas seem to be right in line as well and a couple hundred bucks cheaper currently. I like the looks of the Chanes better, but the Emotiva C2+ has always been regarded as a very good center which intrigues me so I'm torn.

EDIT: I've made plenty of posts like this in the past, however I will actually be ordering within 24 hours this time
With your Denon 1400 I'd go for the 6ohm Chanes.

Less chance of higher AVR heat as the volume level increases IMHO.

From Denon:

Quote:
Can I use 4 ohm speakers with my AV receiver or power amp?

Yes, you can.

To understand this a bit better, first realize that all amplifiers are designed to deliver a signal into an electrical "load" or resistance presented by the loudspeaker. We measure resistance in units called "ohms" (after the German physicist Georg Simon Ohm, 1787–1854).

Conventional wisdom makes an 8 ohm loudspeaker load the most acceptable because it "protects" the amplifier from delivering too much current. A 4 ohm loudspeaker can encourage a marginally designed amplifier to deliver more current than it comfortably can.

However, you should remember that a loudspeaker’s impedance rating is a nominal or average one. A speaker rated at 8 ohms may actually vary from 5 (sometimes even less) to 20 ohms or higher, depending on the frequency at which you measure the impedance. We call this reactance.

In general, you’ll find that receivers / amps are designed to function with a wide variety of loudspeakers and have power supplies and output circuitry more than able to meet the current demands of low impedance loads. If using 4 ohm rated speakers, common sense should always be taken as to the volume level setting, as it is easier to overdrive or "clip" an amplifier with 4 ohm speakers than with speakers with a rating of 6-16 ohms.

In the rare event that very low impedances tax the amplifier, quick acting circuitry will protect it from damage. If unusual operating conditions trigger this "Protection" circuitry, the receiver will shut down and you will see a red blinking light on the Standby indicator. If this happens, simply power the unit off, unplug the unit for 10 minutes and then plug it back in and power the unit back on. The protection circuitry may reset if there's no internal damage within the receiver. If it re-engages, check your system for possible malfunctions such as intermittently shorting speaker wires, damaged speaker drivers, or it may be as simple as turning the volume down a little as not to cause the amplifier to go into protection due to overdriving.

Ryan Statz likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9591 Post(s)
Liked: 7418
Quote:
About $1500 (give or take) to spend

Room is ~10ftx14ft with 10ft ceilings. Viewing distance is about 8 feet and I do have some sound treatment in the room (6 25"x41"x3" acoustic panels).
I tend to value clarity and impact heavily. Some of my favorite speakers I've listened to are Goldenear Triton 5's because of their ridiculous clarity and detailed/wide sound stage (which is what drives me towards these two sets with ribbon tweeters).

90% of my listening is HT usage and I do tend to crank it a bit as I love the impact and immersion of loud movies.

My research tells me the Chanes would fit my desires more (clarity and volume), but the Emotivas seem to be right in line as well and a couple hundred bucks cheaper currently (cost difference isn't a big factor to me though). I like the looks of the Chanes better, but the Emotiva C2+ has always been regarded as a very good center which intrigues me so I'm torn.

For 90% HT, and with a pair of VTF-3 (you could get the VTF-15H btw for almost the same price right now due to Hsu having them on sale) you will have TONS of impact already, especially if your 10 x 14' room is totally enclosed---you could easily go with the T1 instead of the T2 so that you'd have an extra $300 left over just in case you decide to add an external amp. Or even the T-Zero instead of the T2, which would give you an extra $600 left over.

But yeah, I'd also lean towards the Emotivas over the Chanes because of the C2!
mpk1970 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Go with the Emotivas if you're good with their looks. The Chane Big System bundle would also be a fine choice. Can't go wrong with either.
I'm pretty back and forth on it. I don't mind the looks of the T1+ (and certainly better than the older models), but the T2+ looks super chunky for such a small room. I know it's huge and that likely would give me the bigger impact I want, but the looks are definitely "meh" to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post

Thanks! I don't plan to run a separate amp anytime soon, so this is certainly a concern of mine, but I have also heard that Emotiva rating isn't exactly the most accurate (A lot of folks think they should be rated higher than 4ohms but Emotiva wants you to buy their amps too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
For 90% HT, and with a pair of VTF-3 (you could get the VTF-15H btw for almost the same price right now due to Hsu having them on sale) you will have TONS of impact already, especially if your 10 x 14' room is totally enclosed---you could easily go with the T1 instead of the T2 so that you'd have an extra $300 left over just in case you decide to add an external amp. Or even the T-Zero instead of the T2, which would give you an extra $600 left over.

Appreciate the input! The room is totally enclosed, minus the french doors that don't seal well.

I've gone back and forth on the VTF-15H vs VTF-3, but it seems that there isn't a ton of difference between the two and the cost difference starts to add up when you realize the 15H costs an extra ~$75 to ship on top of its additional base price. That sale is certainly tempting though! I've actually had both of those open in a browser for weeks refreshing to see if they go on sale, hah.
post #6 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the input! The room is totally enclosed, minus the french doors that don't seal well.

I've gone back and forth on the VTF-15H vs VTF-3, but it seems that there isn't a ton of difference between the two and the cost difference starts to add up when you realize the 15H costs an extra ~$75 to ship on top of its additional base price. That sale is certainly tempting though! I've actually had both of those open in a browser for weeks refreshing to see if they go on sale, hah.
Wow, you're right---I checked and even with the sale pricing, a single VTF-15H still costs a whopping $137 more with shipping added than a single VTF-3 shipped!

I do see the VTF-3 going on sale maybe 3-4 times a year, but again nothing huge---instead of $799 it might come down to $759 at best.

Actually in an enclosed 10 x 14' room, you'd probably be fine with a pair of VTF-2 or a single VTF-3. The main advantage of the VTF-15H over the VTF-3 is apparently in the subsonic output, the deep deep bass you can't hear but only feel. I don't live in a detached home so that would be completely useless for me unless I wanted to really piss off my neighbors, lol.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

From Denon:
While he's definitely correct... I will say that yesterday, I hooked up my Emotiva T1+ fronts in a 5.1.2 setup, along with a 6ohm Infinity center channel (RC263), with a Denon s710w (2015 model, iirc)... and the Denon powers them effortlessly, thus far. They sound incredible.
mpk1970 likes this.
post #8 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I tend to value clarity and impact heavily. Some of my favorite speakers I've listened to are Goldenear Triton 5's because of their ridiculous clarity and detailed/wide sound stage (which is what drives me towards these two sets with ribbon tweeters). 90% of my listening is HT usage and I do tend to crank it a bit as I love the impact and immersion of loud movies.
A5.5 towers and 2.4 center user here. I did a ton of reading prior to purchasing also. There was a review that I came up with on google on a forum from a guy that purchased the Chane towers for his son’s home. He had GoldenEar towers and they did several hours of comparison. Their verdict was that they did like the GoldenEar better but Chane was not far behind. I did a quick search just now but couldn’t come up with it.

Edit: found the link now

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ers.html?amp=1
rhelliott2 likes this.
post #9 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 875
I would skip on the Chane Towers and go with three A2.4 for the front stage and email chane for B-stock A1.5 or look for used A1.4 for surrounds.

with the $$ you save buy a Rythmik FV18 or Power Sound Audio TV1812 and later on buy a 2nd sub when your budget permits.
mpk1970 and J Devil 666 like this.
post #10 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelliott2 View Post
buy a Rythmik FV18 or Power Sound Audio TV1812 and later on buy a 2nd sub when your budget permits.
Good lord man, he's only in a 10 x 14' enclosed room!
DrJayDub, sigpig, Lp85253 and 1 others like this.

post #11 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow, you're right---I checked and even with the sale pricing, a single VTF-15H still costs a whopping $137 more with shipping added than a single VTF-3 shipped!

I do see the VTF-3 going on sale maybe 3-4 times a year, but again nothing huge---instead of $799 it might come down to $759 at best.

Actually in an enclosed 10 x 14' room, you'd probably be fine with a pair of VTF-2 or a single VTF-3. The main advantage of the VTF-15H over the VTF-3 is apparently in the subsonic output, the deep deep bass you can't hear but only feel. I don't live in a detached home so that would be completely useless for me unless I wanted to really piss off my neighbors, lol.
Yeah... I've been torn between the VTF-3 and the Monolith 12 as both tend to have good reviews, but I know a lot of people prefer the HSU for the personalized customer service. It'll probably just depend on what's on sale at the time I can buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba4me View Post
A5.5 towers and 2.4 center user here. I did a ton of reading prior to purchasing also. There was a review that I came up with on google on a forum from a guy that purchased the Chane towers for his son’s home. He had GoldenEar towers and they did several hours of comparison. Their verdict was that they did like the GoldenEar better but Chane was not far behind. I did a quick search just now but couldn’t come up with it.

Edit: found the link now

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ers.html?amp=1
Appreciate this... that's extremely tempting. It's weird, but the GoldenEars are the only speakers I've ever heard that sound like that and they were the exact sound signature I like (but just too expensive for what I want to spend). Hearing the direct comparison to the Chanes is very very enticing. I assume you're enjoying yours?

Quote:
Yeah... one of these days I'll have a bigger room but certainly don't need a pair of FV18's Plus the wife would kill me if I spent $4k on subs. I'm lucky she's on board with the theater though... makes it easier to convince her about all this other stuff!
post #12 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Appreciate this... that's extremely tempting. It's weird, but the GoldenEars are the only speakers I've ever heard that sound like that and they were the exact sound signature I like (but just too expensive for what I want to spend). Hearing the direct comparison to the Chanes is very very enticing. I assume you're enjoying yours?
Yes sir. I pretty much use them 100% just for Blu-ray movie watching. Powered with a Pioneer VSX-1018 receiver and paired with an Elemental Designs A2-300.

I don’t have any rear surrounds currently but sooner or later may get the Chane A1.5 for that. With the amount of traffic in our living room rear surrounds would really be in the way and just begging to get bumped into (the missus sits children in our home). This is the reason that I ultimately went with Chane - I didn’t want to spend thousands of dollars for speakers to go in this environment and they had a reputation of rivaling more expensive offerings while not costing a fortune.
post #13 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorba922 View Post
good lord man, he's only in a 10 x 14' enclosed room! :d
rofl
post #14 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
If he's really serious, he'll need 4 of those. One for each corner of the room.
mpk1970 likes this.
post #15 of 87 Old 05-27-2020, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
In that small room, a pair of sealed subs would be your best investment. A pair, because you have two dimensions that are identical and that will engender some nasty modes in the room, which having a second sub should allow you to fix. Sealed, because small rooms naturally reinforce low bass. Ported subs can be a boomy mess, as more bass output meets more bass reinforcement. Sealed subs have a natural roll-off in the lower bass region, integrating more readily with the reinforcement of the small room.

However, if a boomy sound signature is what you are striving to achieve, then ignore the above and go for ported.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-28-2020 at 11:15 AM.
post #16 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks! I don't plan to run a separate amp anytime soon, so this is certainly a concern of mine, but I have also heard that Emotiva rating isn't exactly the most accurate (A lot of folks think they should be rated higher than 4ohms but Emotiva wants you to buy their amps too).

"A lot of folks" are wrong about Emotiva's Ohm rating:

Quote:
T1 (purple) +0.60/–2.50 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 56 Hz, –6 dB @ 37 Hz; impedance minimum 3.51 ohms @ 114 Hz, phase angle –71.31º @ 66 Hz; sensitivity 90 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

C1 (green) +1.74/–1.84 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 84 Hz, –6 dB @ 68 Hz; impedance minimum 4.18 ohms @ 162 Hz, phase angle –51.26º @ 96 Hz; sensitivity 89.5 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

E1 (red) +1.35/–3.94 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 90 Hz, –6 dB @ 72 Hz; impedance minimum 5.08 ohms @ 251 Hz, phase angle –45.46º @ 139 Hz; sensitivity 86.5 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.—MJP
For your small enclosed room a pair of ULD15s or VTF2s makes more sense.

Geoff A. J., California
post #17 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
True, according to S&V's measurements.

Whether it makes a whit of difference for most people with typical 60-75db volume range habits, is a whole other question.

@Disarmer
Download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone and find out exactly where YOU are on the volume scale.

post #18 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Whether it makes a whit of difference for most people with typical 60-75db volume range habits, is a whole other question.

@Disarmer
Download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone and find out exactly where YOU are on the volume scale.
I was responding to the quote below and the fact that his very nice 80 watt Denon 1400 lacks pre outs.

But yes, a db meter would be valuable to know exactly how loud that is.

Quote:
90% of my listening is HT usage and I do tend to crank it a bit as I love the impact and immersion of loud movies.
Zorba922 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #19 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
I keep reading this but bigger is not necessarily better. Especially in a smaller room. I have not heard the C2+ but those tiny 3" midrange drivers would be of concern to me. There is nothing wrong with a good old MTM center, given proper crossover design (which I'm sure the Chane A2.4 has).

What do we really know about the Emotiva crossovers and build quality? This brand kinda seems to be the "flavor of the week" right now.

LG OLED55C6P, Panasonic UB-820, Sony UBP-X800, Zidoo X9S, Denon AVR-X3400H, vintage Carver M1.0T amp, Axiom M60v3 Mains, VP100 Center & M2v3 Surrounds. Original SVS 20-39pci Cylinder sub. Polk RC60i Top Middle Atmos. Desktop system: Fully restored (by me) vintage Marantz 2275 stereo receiver from 1976 driving a pair of Chane A1.5s, RSL Speedwoofer 10S, MiniDSP DDRC-24 (Dirac Live).
post #20 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
What do we really know about the Emotiva crossovers and build quality?
About as much as we know about Chane's crossovers and build quality: overwhelmingly positive user feedback.

Quote:
This brand kinda seems to be the "flavor of the week" right now.
Chane has also been accused of that on various occasions, so I don't find that very persuasive. Emotiva has been around as long or longer than Chane in fact. They are not some upstart fly-by-night company.
BufordTJustice likes this.

post #21 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
About as much as we know about Chane's crossovers and build quality: overwhelmingly positive user feedback.
Chane has also been accused of that on various occasions, so I don't find that very persuasive. Emotiva has been around as long or longer than Chane in fact. They are not some upstart fly-by-night company.

OK, thanks Zorba. Good to know. I'd like to hear them sometime.

That said though, aren't those tiny mids in the C2+ of concern? It's also $120 more than the A2.4.

LG OLED55C6P, Panasonic UB-820, Sony UBP-X800, Zidoo X9S, Denon AVR-X3400H, vintage Carver M1.0T amp, Axiom M60v3 Mains, VP100 Center & M2v3 Surrounds. Original SVS 20-39pci Cylinder sub. Polk RC60i Top Middle Atmos. Desktop system: Fully restored (by me) vintage Marantz 2275 stereo receiver from 1976 driving a pair of Chane A1.5s, RSL Speedwoofer 10S, MiniDSP DDRC-24 (Dirac Live).
post #22 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
OK, thanks Zorba. Good to know. I'd like to hear them sometime.

That said though, aren't those tiny mids in the C2+ of concern? It's also $120 more than the A2.4.
Those are only mids. The C2 has dual 6.5" woofers, vs the 5.25" woofers on the A2.4 ... and Emotiva does have a smaller center, the C1, which has 5.25" woofers and one of those mids, and is just $250 shipped (before any Emobucks discount).

post #23 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
Quick note for readers: Real tech and pertinent facts can go missing in forums like this, so again I'd recommend readers look to experienced users with a sound grasp of the underlying technical elements.

Chane Music & Cinema
For solid referrals seek only qualified user experience.
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
(This account not for product news.)
post #24 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes sir. I pretty much use them 100% just for Blu-ray movie watching. Powered with a Pioneer VSX-1018 receiver and paired with an Elemental Designs A2-300.

I don’t have any rear surrounds currently but sooner or later may get the Chane A1.5 for that. With the amount of traffic in our living room rear surrounds would really be in the way and just begging to get bumped into (the missus sits children in our home). This is the reason that I ultimately went with Chane - I didn’t want to spend thousands of dollars for speakers to go in this environment and they had a reputation of rivaling more expensive offerings while not costing a fortune.
Glad to hear you're enjoying them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
If he's really serious, he'll need 4 of those. One for each corner of the room.
I mean if I'm gonna go for 4, I might as well go for 8 so I can get stacks going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
In that small room, a pair of sealed subs would be your best investment. A pair, because you have two dimensions that are identical and that will engender some nasty modes in the room, which having a second sub should allow you to fix. Sealed, because small rooms naturally reinforce low bass. Ported subs can be a boomy mess, as more bass output meets more bass reinforcement. Sealed subs have a natural roll-off in the lower bass region, integrating more readily with the reinforcement of the small room.

However, if a boomy sound signature is what you are striving to achieve, then ignore the above and go for ported.
I don't plan to be in this room long term (maybe another year) so my thought process there is to get something with plugs so I can get it into the room and use it sealed if I need to control some of the boominess. I expect to grab a pair (I'm currently using a pair of cheap subs until I can purchase legit ones). Once I get into a larger room, the VTF-3's should still be solid at that point.

Quote:

For your small enclosed room a pair of ULD15s or VTF2s makes more sense.
I stand corrected! Thanks for the numbers there. While the Denon is rated for it, I won't push my luck with a low tier receiver. One of these days it'll get upgraded so I can potentially add some external amps as well.

Quote:

@Disarmer
Are phone SPL meters actually accurate? I'll download one and see what it reads tonight.

All that being said, I caved last night and purchased the Chanes. The review posted earlier that compared them so closely to the GoldenEars really was the tipping point. The GoldenEars are by far my favorite speaker I've ever heard, so if they can even get close to that for this price point, I'll be ecstatic. They also look a bit better than the Emotivas for my room, so that was a plus. I appreciate all of the help from everyone!
RayGuy and sigpig like this.
post #25 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Are phone SPL meters actually accurate? I'll download one and see what it reads tonight.

All that being said, I caved last night and purchased the Chanes. The review posted earlier that compared them so closely to the GoldenEars really was the tipping point. The GoldenEars are by far my favorite speaker I've ever heard, so if they can even get close to that for this price point, I'll be ecstatic. They also look a bit better than the Emotivas for my room, so that was a plus. I appreciate all of the help from everyone!
Chanes are one of the safest buying-unheard ID options around...good choice! I think you will enjoy them, and the big wad of cash you've kept in your pocket instead of going with GE. And yes, they certainly are not so aesthetically controversial as the Emotivas, lol...

A real standalone SPL meter (I forget the optimal "weighting" category) will cost you around $40-50 from Amazon and I'm sure would be more precise, but a phone SPL meter would get you a rough ballpark idea at least.
mpk1970 likes this.

post #26 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:

I caved last night and purchased the Chanes. The review posted earlier that compared them so closely to the GoldenEars really was the tipping point. The GoldenEars are by far my favorite speaker I've ever heard, so if they can even get close to that for this price point, I'll be ecstatic. They also look a bit better than the Emotivas for my room, so that was a plus. I appreciate all of the help from everyone!
They are very heavy, so be prepared for that when they arrive! I have a wood floor and it was a major PITA trying to get the spikes sat into the little protective discs.

They probably shipped today if you ordered last night. Mine shipped next day and arrived in 3 days from FL to TN. Actually one tower and the center came in two days, but FedEx didn't bring the other tower until the third day.
post #27 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
I keep reading this but bigger is not necessarily better. Especially in a smaller room. I have not heard the C2+ but those tiny 3" midrange drivers would be of concern to me. There is nothing wrong with a good old MTM center, given proper crossover design (which I'm sure the Chane A2.4 has).

What do we really know about the Emotiva crossovers and build quality? This brand kinda seems to be the "flavor of the week" right now.
I replaced a Revel C52 with Emotiva C2. The Revel had 5 1/4 mid vs 3 in. in the C2. Emotiva is better IMO.
nonametofame and mpk1970 like this.
post #28 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Monoprice usually has a few sales a year on their Monolith equipment. You can get a Monolith 10" for around $400, and their other subs are marked down even more.
post #29 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked: 1592
@Disarmer

Ive had both Chane's and Emotiva's. You really can't go wrong with either. Let them break in a little before judging them.

Still have both brands but bookshelf version, got rid of the T2s.

You really can't go wrong with either. I really like the T2 towers. I had the Chane's A2.4 books which were good but wanted towers. At the time, the Chane towers were out of stock and the Emotiva were new so
I wanted to try them. T2s had some good bass.
Zorba922 likes this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
post #30 of 87 Old 05-28-2020, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post
Quick note for readers: Real tech and pertinent facts can go missing in forums like this, so again I'd recommend readers look to experienced users with a sound grasp of the underlying technical elements.
I was wondering if you'd make your way in here Excited to try them out! I've found nothing but solid reviews on them and appreciate your involvement in the forums. A post of yours somewhere about 2way vs 3way centers also helped convince me that I would probably be pleasantly surprised by the A2.4 so I pulled the trigger.

Quote:
Chanes are one of the safest buying-unheard ID options around...good choice! I think you will enjoy them, and the big wad of cash you've kept in your pocket instead of going with GE. And yes, they certainly are not so aesthetically controversial as the Emotivas, lol...

A real standalone SPL meter (I forget the optimal "weighting" category) will cost you around $40-50 from Amazon and I'm sure would be more precise, but a phone SPL meter would get you a rough ballpark idea at least.
I'll try and test out tomorrow with my phone just for ****s and giggles, but the wife fell asleep around 8:00 tonight so I don't dare wake her for this!

Quote:
They are very heavy, so be prepared for that when they arrive! I have a wood floor and it was a major PITA trying to get the spikes sat into the little protective discs.

They probably shipped today if you ordered last night. Mine shipped next day and arrived in 3 days from FL to TN. Actually one tower and the center came in two days, but FedEx didn't bring the other tower until the third day.
Luckily I have a dolly so I should be able to move them into my room pretty easily, although I assume unboxing will be a PITA. They shipped today and should be here by Monday, far quicker than I was expecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
@Disarmer

Ive had both Chane's and Emotiva's. You really can't go wrong with either. Let them break in a little before judging them.

Still have both brands but bookshelf version, got rid of the T2s.

You really can't go wrong with either. I really like the T2 towers. I had the Chane's A2.4 books which were good but wanted towers. At the time, the Chane towers were out of stock and the Emotiva were new so
I wanted to try them. T2s had some good bass.
Ah yes, one of the few people who have actually heard both. I've seen some of your comments about each and the general consensus I got from that was that if you didn't care about the looks of either, flip a coin and enjoy your new speakers. I believe it was you and Zorba that had me convinced to buy Emotiva like a year ago... funny how things can change when you finally have the money to blow!
Zorba922 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page