In-Wall Speakers for Loft Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dawn Gordon
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-27-2020, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In-Wall Speakers for Loft Theater

Sorry for yet another in-wall speaker thread. Been hunting around this forum and found some great info, but wanted to get into some specifics. Thanks in advance for the help.

We have a loft that is a shared crafting/theater room space. Due to wife requirements, I need to put in-wall LCRs in there. Here's a little more info about the room:

Receiver: Yamaha CX-A5200
Amp: Monolith 7x200
Room Size: 27ft L x 17ft W x 8ft H (long room with lower ceilings)
Viewing distance: Approx 16ft, one row of seats
Currently running a 7.1 setup with an SVS SB-3000 sub
Budget: Approx $4000 - $7000 but would like to stay on the lower end

Currently have a projector and screen set up in this room that I'll be changing out for an AT screen. Surrounds are currently Klipsch rp-402s that work for now but will likely change out in the future.

I have a pair of Monitor Audio Gold 200 towers for my downstairs TV that I've been really impressed with. I realize that you never quite get the same sound quality for in-walls, but wanted to see what this group's suggestions were. Given wife requirements, not much else i can do there as well.

Here's what I've been looking at so far:
Monitor Audio CP-IW460X
Monitor Audio WSS430
Totem Tribe In-Wall
B&W Reference Series CWM7.3 S2
Kef Ci3160RL-THX
MartinLogan Edge
Revel W990
Focal 300 IW6 LCR
(I focused more on the left and rights here but I would get the corresponding center)

Any help in narrowing down my long short-list is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I don't have a place to go to here where I can test all of these, especially with the pandemic stuff going on right now.
bishop27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 05-28-2020, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dawn Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 384
You should put Triad Speakers on your short list. They design their speakers so that all versions in a series sound exactly the same -- InRoom, InWall, InCeiling. and OnWall.

Other good InWall speakers include James (pricey) and Martin Logan.
rboster likes this.

________________________________________

[email protected]
Dawn Gordon is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 05-28-2020, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 26,116
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Liked: 2808
I concur about the Triad. Easy to install. They sound amazing. Another option to think about...they are very easy to remove, so you can take them with you or sell (when you get the upgrade bug).

I'm using a combination of in-room and in-wall triad speakers.

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html
rboster is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 05-28-2020, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 6,753
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop27 View Post
I have a pair of Monitor Audio Gold 200 towers for my downstairs TV that I've been really impressed with. I realize that you never quite get the same sound quality for in-walls, but wanted to see what this group's suggestions were. Given wife requirements, not much else i can do there as well.
Are on-walls out of the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop27 View Post
Here's what I've been looking at so far:
Monitor Audio CP-IW460X
Monitor Audio WSS430
Totem Tribe In-Wall
B&W Reference Series CWM7.3 S2
Kef Ci3160RL-THX
MartinLogan Edge
Revel W990
Focal 300 IW6 LCR


(I focused more on the left and rights here but I would get the corresponding center)
Well, my highly biased opinion supports the Totem Tribes. Now, I've not heard the architecturals, but I do own Tribe on-walls, and they do not disappoint (me anyway....). They are similar of course, not exact, to the in-walls, but I don't think you could go wrong with them. Not saying the others would be bad choices either, just saying the Totems would be a good one. And why I asked about the on-walls being possible - the Totem on-walls seem to have a reasonable WAF, and the Tribe III and V are excellent in L/C/R duty. The Vs are not cheap though, but man, it's especially powerful as a center channel. (They also make stands for them if you ever wanted to remove from walls and use as "floor standers"...)

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is online now  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-28-2020, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
You should put Triad Speakers on your short list. They design their speakers so that all versions in a series sound exactly the same -- InRoom, InWall, InCeiling. and OnWall.

Other good InWall speakers include James (pricey) and Martin Logan.
I had considered Triads, but don't remember why they didn't make the short list. I think it might've been that they were too wide for my application (i.e. support beam width)? I can take a look again. Do you have a recommendation on which model of Triad to look at? Looks like they have a combo of boxed and non-boxed speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Are on-walls out of the question?
At first they were since I would have to hang the projector screen about 4in from the wall, but I realized that whether they're in-wall or on-wall, there is going to be a significant amount of work to install them. Cutting drywall vs re-hanging the screen. So either will work. I think I figured that if I'm going to be running all the wires through the wall anyway, I might as well just make a bigger hole and fill it with a speaker.

I'm assuming with the Tribes, you can use either the same line of speaker for the center, or drop down a level (i.e. Tribe V L/R and Tribe III center... or Tribe III L/R and Tribe II center). Honestly, I may just go L/R in the beginning, I meant to pair the MA Gold towers I have downstairs with an in-wall center, never got around to it but they're clear enough that I haven't missed it.


Thanks everyone so far, this has be very helpful. Current shorter short-list is:
Tribe in-wall or on-wall
Kef
Revel

Will also look at Triad again.
bishop27 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 05-28-2020, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dawn Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 384
I'm thinking that you should look at the Triad Bronze series based on your room size and budget.

________________________________________

[email protected]
Dawn Gordon is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 05-28-2020, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 6,753
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop27 View Post
IAt first they were since I would have to hang the projector screen about 4in from the wall, but I realized that whether they're in-wall or on-wall, there is going to be a significant amount of work to install them. Cutting drywall vs re-hanging the screen. So either will work. I think I figured that if I'm going to be running all the wires through the wall anyway, I might as well just make a bigger hole and fill it with a speaker.

I'm assuming with the Tribes, you can use either the same line of speaker for the center, or drop down a level (i.e. Tribe V L/R and Tribe III center... or Tribe III L/R and Tribe II center). Honestly, I may just go L/R in the beginning, I meant to pair the MA Gold towers I have downstairs with an in-wall center, never got around to it but they're clear enough that I haven't missed it.
I think with their brackets, the Tribe on-walls are right around 4" in depth, so you'd want to verify that if it's going to be really tight on the measurements, but sounds like maybe you're O.K. on that?

So, you can definitely use all the same for L/C/R, but if anything, go a level up for the center. For HT anyway, the center speaker is more active with a lot of content which can be hard-hitting, depending on your genres. The Tribe I,II,III all share the same tweeter, but the V is still a match, Totem designed as such even tough they stepped it up. The I and II are identical, except for a slightly longer box on the II that allows just a bit more lower extension. With subwoofers, I and II, get the I. That said...

The III and V can handle a great deal more power and they are going to play louder, more headroom, not to mention lower extension. The Torrent drivers, in spite of size, really produce, readily keeping with drivers significantly larger. Why I recommend the IIIs at least as L/R, and III or V as center.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is online now  
post #8 of 8 Old 05-28-2020, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 2,526
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Since you're going with an AT screen, simply get three identical speakers for your LCR.
sigpig is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off