7.1 RP-500SA vs RP-502S rear surround - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-29-2020, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
7.1 RP-500SA vs RP-502S rear surround

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this but I did some reading and bought the following speakers:

Front L/R: RP-8000F
Center: RP-504C
Sub: 115SW

Right now I have an old pair of bookshelf on a wall mount behind but they are very basic (got them with my first HT kit Yamaha YHT-5920UBL).

So I purchased a set of 502S thinking I'll use them as surround on the side in a 7.1 setup. But for the rear surround I'm still unsure if I should use RP-500SA in the back or I should rather use the dipole in the back or go with something else ? Any suggestion?

Also I'm still using my receiver from my old yamaha kit, anything you could suggest for a 7.1 that just works :d

I've attached a picture of my room, I know it is not ideal with the arches but that's what I have to work with and I'm happy with it

Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1590765737417.JPEG
Views:	42
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	2734122   Click image for larger version

Name:	1590765737063.JPEG
Views:	41
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	2734124  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-29-2020, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

No one has a similar setup ?
post #3 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duked View Post
Hi,

I'm pretty new to this but I did some reading and bought the following speakers:

Front L/R: RP-8000F
Center: RP-504C
Sub: 115SW

Right now I have an old pair of bookshelf on a wall mount behind but they are very basic (got them with my first HT kit Yamaha YHT-5920UBL).

So I purchased a set of 502S thinking I'll use them as surround on the side in a 7.1 setup. But for the rear surround I'm still unsure if I should use RP-500SA in the back or I should rather use the dipole in the back or go with something else ? Any suggestion?

Also I'm still using my receiver from my old yamaha kit, anything you could suggest for a 7.1 that just works :d

I've attached a picture of my room, I know it is not ideal with the arches but that's what I have to work with and I'm happy with it [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

Thanks !
I had a very similar setup I just changed out. I had the 502s for surround and used 5000f tower for the rears. Was very happy with the system and was very impressed with the 502s. However in my system my surrounds are more of a direct firing surround speaker and I found I prefer that then the wide dispersion klipsch surrounds. I have heard people say that the klipsch surrounds work well as rears if there’s not a lot of room between the MLP and the rear wall. Besides that, I think it’s a preference thing. Direct firing will give you exactly that, and the klipsch surrounds will spread the sound around and fill in the Room more, but you’ll lose some of that direct sound.

But check the klipsch thread bc this question has been asked many times and you’ll be able to see some different answers.

| Emotiva XMC-2 | Monoprice Monolith 7X | Outlaw 5000 | Arendal 1723S Towers-Center-Surrounds-Monitors | Klipsch CDT 5650 (2) | Polk V60 (2) | Klipsch SPL-120 (2) | HSU VTF3 MK5 (2) | MiniDSP 2x4 HD | Crown XLS 1002 | Buttkicker LFE Mini (4) | Furman Elite 15 DMi | Panamax mr4300 | Eaton 5PX 1500 | JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16:9 | Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450 | Logitech Harmony Hub |
post #5 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwander View Post
I had a very similar setup I just changed out. I had the 502s for surround and used 5000f tower for the rears. Was very happy with the system and was very impressed with the 502s. However in my system my surrounds are more of a direct firing surround speaker and I found I prefer that then the wide dispersion klipsch surrounds. I have heard people say that the klipsch surrounds work well as rears if there’s not a lot of room between the MLP and the rear wall. Besides that, I think it’s a preference thing. Direct firing will give you exactly that, and the klipsch surrounds will spread the sound around and fill in the Room more, but you’ll lose some of that direct sound.

But check the klipsch thread bc this question has been asked many times and you’ll be able to see some different answers.
thanks for your input. I didn't really pick the rear speakers yet I just have the 502S already home and I was trying to decide where they fit best, it's my first time having dipole speakers so I wanted to give it a try but I read a lot of people prefer direct sound.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
I would use a pair of RP-500Ms for your rear surrounds. And raise your centre channel to be directly under your screen.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-04-2020, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would go for 500sa in your setup (on the wall, close to the ceiling).

I had both (250s and 500sa) installed before, and I really love the way my 500sa transits surround effects from the fronts, to my sides then rears. When I was on 4x 250s for my surrounds, I keep experiencing that the surround sound is "floating" above me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page