Looking for good stereo desktop PC speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By metropole
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 2 Post By Youcan1
  • 1 Post By Soulburner
  • 1 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 19 Old 05-30-2020, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looking for good stereo desktop PC speakers

I have been nursing an old Gateway Boston Acoustics MicroMedia 2.1 speaker system.

I like to upgrade to a simple stereo desktop speaker set.

My requirements:
- wired input (no Bluetooth necessary - realize most will come with it)
- above average sound
- auto standby - or low standby power when no sound detected.
- no sub
- price point <$300

Some speakers I found:
- Edifier e25 https://www.edifier.com/int/en/speak...5-luna-eclipse
- Peachtree https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/m24-p...-speakers.html
- Klipsch R-41PM https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-4...wered-speakers
- Audiogene A2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010OIVSD....62805887100-20
- Bose?

There are so many. Any input is appreciated....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-30-2020, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9522 Post(s)
Liked: 7339
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropole View Post
I have been nursing an old Gateway Boston Acoustics MicroMedia 2.1 speaker system.

I like to upgrade to a simple stereo desktop speaker set.

My requirements:
- wired input (no Bluetooth necessary - realize most will come with it)
- above average sound
- auto standby - or low standby power when no sound detected.
- no sub
- price point <$300
At $300 you could do very well with a pair of passive bookshelf speakers and a very low-power, cool-running, and nice-sounding Class D mini-amp about 1/3 the size of a Kleenox box. Is that something you'd be interested in?

If not, I'd put this at the top of the list ... free return shipping too.
https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors/305PMKII-.html
or
https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors/306PMKII-.html

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 19 Old 05-30-2020, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 1109
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-30-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
He doesn't want a sub, and those have a 3db roll off at 90Hz.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 19 Old 05-30-2020, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
At $300 you could do very well with a pair of passive bookshelf speakers and a very low-power, cool-running, and nice-sounding Class D mini-amp about 1/3 the size of a Kleenox box. Is that something you'd be interested in?

If not, I'd put this at the top of the list ... free return shipping too.
https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors/305PMKII-.html
or
https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors/306PMKII-.html
I think I like to keep it simple. So, I prefer an "active speaker" over a passive speaker with external amp. BTW. I like the fact that JBL don't need a power supply. And yes, with no sub, I like a speaker that shows some live in the 50Hz to 80Hz range...
Zorba922 likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-30-2020, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Just slightly over your budget, I'd also be looking at Mackie MR624 at $165 each currently on Amazon.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
post #7 of 19 Old 05-30-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I think I like to keep it simple. So, I prefer an "active speaker" over a passive speaker with external amp. BTW. I like the fact that JBL don't need a power supply. And yes, with no sub, I like a speaker that shows some live in the 50Hz to 80Hz range...
The JBLs may be one of the best available, give it a spin to see if you like the sound signature.

Q Acoustics used to make a nice little pair of powered bookshelves, the BT3 if I recall correctly, but they were discontinued after a few years.

post #8 of 19 Old 05-30-2020, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The JBLs may be one of the best available, give it a spin to see if you like the sound signature.

Q Acoustics used to make a nice little pair of powered bookshelves, the BT3 if I recall correctly, but they were discontinued after a few years.
The JBL's don't really come as a pair? Both (L, R) would need power?
post #9 of 19 Old 05-30-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
The JBL's don't really come as a pair? Both (L, R) would need power?
No, they are sold as singles so yes I think each one is powered independently.

That's actually a good thing since if one of their amps die on you, you only need to replace that one speaker instead of the whole pair as would happen with a pair that shares one amp, where you'd be left with two expensive doorstops.

Of course, the critical advantage of a little mini T-amp which people often overlook is the simple fact that if it ever dies on you, it's very easy and cheap to replace ($30-100 depending on the model), and you are left with ZERO expensive doorstops.

post #10 of 19 Old 05-30-2020, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 99
post #11 of 19 Old 05-30-2020, 10:00 PM

If active desktop speakers had to be my only speakers, I'd be willing to pay a little extra for a pair with AMT tweeters like this:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38620

And so smart of Monoprice to include angled foam pads for all their desktop speakers! I wonder how many consumers have sent back speakers that didn't sound very good on their desktop only because it never occurred to them to angle the tweeters up towards ear level...

post #12 of 19 Old 05-30-2020, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I second zorbas suggestion, you can not go wrong with the Jbl 305s,I have the previous edition of those (not the mk2's) and I can not speak highly enough of them, they sound great. They have a fairly wide sweet spot (I think due to the wide dispersion tweeters), and just overall sound excellent. I will say that I have not listened personally to the second generation but from what I have seen they are at least as good as if not better than the previous generation.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-31-2020, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 2298
I was going to mention the Mackie MR624's as someone did above, but then you need $150-200 in a DAC/preamp and amplifier. Therefore it isn't possible to meet the $300 requirement going that route.

The Kanto YU6 should be researched, as well as the Monoprice speakers linked above. I don't agree that the AMT is worth a 33% increase, though.
kantoliving likes this.

System 1: Samsung Plasma | Denon X4500H | Hypex Ncore NC252MP | Buchardt S400 | Polk LSiM 702 F/X | Heights TBD | Subs TBD Rythmik
System 2: Laptop | NAD T758 v3 | PSB Imagine B
System 3: PC | Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624
post #14 of 19 Old 05-31-2020, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I was going to mention the Mackie MR624's as someone did above, but then you need $150-200 in a DAC/preamp and amplifier. Therefore it isn't possible to meet the $300 requirement going that route.
Why would he need an amp? The MR624 is powered.

You're right about the other stuff though. And he'd have the same issue with the JBLs mentioned earlier.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
post #15 of 19 Old 05-31-2020, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Why would he need an amp? The MR624 is powered.

You're right about the other stuff though. And he'd have the same issue with the JBLs mentioned earlier.
You're right, I posted late when I should have been sleeping!
post #16 of 19 Old 05-31-2020, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If you're interested in more of a project, Joe N Tell and 123Toid built a pretty cool pair of active speakers called DINAS (Do I Need A Subwoofer?!). Looks like a pretty versatile little build but there are really good prebuilt options too.

post #17 of 19 Old 05-31-2020, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The suggestions are taking my thoughts into a new direction. Looks like I am looking at a bit larger speakers than I thought. But I guess in order to get down to 50'isch Hz I need that? Ideally, I still prefer a setup that only requires one power cable (so a pair solution).
BTW. how do edifier's stack up? i.e R1850DB?
post #18 of 19 Old 05-31-2020, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The suggestions are taking my thoughts into a new direction. Looks like I am looking at a bit larger speakers than I thought. But I guess in order to get down to 50'isch Hz I need that?
That's right - as a general rule, smaller speakers = less bass. I am using the Mackie MR624 and find that 6.5" is the driver size at which I can get by without a sub. Smaller speakers will need one. Unfortunately that means decent sized speakers will be on the desk. So a 5.25" + sub would the other option, which increases cost considerably.

System 1: Samsung Plasma | Denon X4500H | Hypex Ncore NC252MP | Buchardt S400 | Polk LSiM 702 F/X | Heights TBD | Subs TBD Rythmik
System 2: Laptop | NAD T758 v3 | PSB Imagine B
System 3: PC | Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624
post #19 of 19 Old 05-31-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
The suggestions are taking my thoughts into a new direction. Looks like I am looking at a bit larger speakers than I thought. But I guess in order to get down to 50'isch Hz I need that? Ideally, I still prefer a setup that only requires one power cable (so a pair solution).
BTW. how do edifier's stack up? i.e R1850DB?
The two Monoprice options linked in this thread have 3db roll off in the 40s and have one power cable.

The Edifiers you can buy from Amazon to get a fairly easy return option, and then decide for yourself if they're up to your standards...what's "good enough" for one person might not be for someone else.
Pete7874 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page