• 1 Post By torii
  • 1 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 18 Old 06-01-2020, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New system build 5-8k

The time has come for me to finally replace my (very) old HT setup. Right now i'm running a 5.1 with:

Polk monitor 70 series 1 x4
CS20 center
SVS sb12 cs20
and a 10year +++ old onkyo receiver.

I'm looking to toss it all with perhaps the exception of the sub, but i imagine i'll upgrade past it. The polks are great at their price point, but lacking and very beatdown. I opted for the more expensive CS20 center, but it's just a terrible, muddy center. The sub is fantastic - the receiver is outdated and incompatible with pretty much everything so i'd like to start from the ground up.

1) Your budget.
$5000-$8000. My plan is to upsize my house in the next year or two, and my plan is to build a dedicated theater room. With that in mind, leaving room for expansion here is alright (a 7.2 that i come in under budget at 5.1 with intention to expand for example) and the longevity/future proofing of the receiver is my priority.

2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music--and whether or not any of those are your primary concern.
100% movies. Huge cinema dork and everything else takes a gigantic back seat.

3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon.
Answered above. I'm clearly missing nuance and depth at the mid and top range. Dialogue is muddied. I want clarity and dimension over something that's going to shake the neighbors house.

4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice).
Right now, the room is a 10x20 rectangle with a couch across from the TV (centered across the 10ft room portion) 2 6ft fish tanks equidistant on opposite walls, with one tower in each corner, center under TV and to the left of TV.
----------------------
o o== o
| |
o [-----] o
----------------------
My clearly expert ascii style drawing of the setup which i'm sure will get borked when forum formats my post haha.

5) Any placement restrictions.
For now yes, but when theater build commences there will be none, so my intent is to design with complete freedom in mind.

6) Any aesthetic or size concerns.
I have 2 big german shepherds. Hence why i'm running 4 towers right now. They will inadvertently send bookshelves/surrounds on stands flying. Willing to spend alittle extra to just run towers where needed.

7) Any equipment you are already considering (or would not consider).
I know ascend acoustics gets alot of good reviews, I just can't get into the way they look. Same goes for SVS Ultra, which aren't quite as highly regarded but same principle applies. For now, my speakers are quite prominent in my living room. Once I have a dedicated area, less of a concern. That being said, if something is clearly superior at a similar price point, i'd forego any subjectivity on the aesthetic.

8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.)
I have put performance audio in my vehicles for sometime, so while i'm an admitted novice in home theater - I have some concept. "bright" or treble heavy speakers have a tendency to be harsh for me and make music less enjoyable/fatiguing. Considering i'm after movie performance, neutral is probably the best bet.

I have no problem biding my time and waiting for a sale on components to bring things in budget.

Thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-01-2020, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 3954
With your budget and being 100% movies, definitely take a look at Power Sound Audio. There’s an amazing value in their home theater speakers and subwoofers. I’ve had a Polk setup similar to yours and a handful of reference Klipsch speakers and anything from the PSA line will elevate your movies to a whole new level.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA S1812 x2; MA’s: Crowson x2
Processing: Denon X4200, MiniDSP 2x4 HD
PJ: Epson 5050UB
Screen: Silver Ticket 106" HC
post #3 of 18 Old 06-01-2020, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10181 Post(s)
Liked: 7213
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOpenDoor View Post

Thank you for your time.
I'd shoot for 5.2.4.

JBL HDI series; $75/pair return shipping on towers at Crutchfied if not happy.

Denon 3600; excellent review here and has pre outs if you find you need an outboard amp for the towers as they are 4 ohms.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.12676/

Review of the HDI 3600s here but with your budget might consider the 3800s.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.13027/

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-01-2020, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked: 1666
Planning now for what you will do in a year or two is not realistic. Everything changes at least once a year, lots of new products are released annually.

I would look at Revel, JBL Professional and JBL Synthesis. I think they are doing excellent work, cover lots of price points and strive for neutral sound.

You should do at least a 5.2 (two subs) system. Add Atmos if you can afford it. You don't say anything about TV, projector, screen etc. Is your budget just for audio?

Sale items come and go quickly. You have to be ready to buy when things are available.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-01-2020, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9591 Post(s)
Liked: 7418
Quote:
The time has come for me to finally replace my (very) old HT setup. Right now i'm running a 5.1 with:

Polk monitor 70 series 1 x4
CS20 center
SVS sb12 cs20
and a 10year +++ old onkyo receiver.

I'm looking to toss it all with perhaps the exception of the sub, but i imagine i'll upgrade past it. The polks are great at their price point, but lacking and very beatdown. I opted for the more expensive CS20 center, but it's just a terrible, muddy center. The sub is fantastic - the receiver is outdated and incompatible with pretty much everything so i'd like to start from the ground up.

1) Your budget.
$5000-$8000. My plan is to upsize my house in the next year or two, and my plan is to build a dedicated theater room. With that in mind, leaving room for expansion here is alright (a 7.2 that i come in under budget at 5.1 with intention to expand for example) and the longevity/future proofing of the receiver is my priority.

2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music--and whether or not any of those are your primary concern.
100% movies. Huge cinema dork and everything else takes a gigantic back seat.

3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon.
Answered above. I'm clearly missing nuance and depth at the mid and top range. Dialogue is muddied. I want clarity and dimension over something that's going to shake the neighbors house.

4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice).
Right now, the room is a 10x20 rectangle with a couch across from the TV (centered across the 10ft room portion) 2 6ft fish tanks equidistant on opposite walls, with one tower in each corner, center under TV and to the left of TV.
----------------------
o o== o
| |
o [-----] o
----------------------
My clearly expert ascii style drawing of the setup which i'm sure will get borked when forum formats my post haha.

5) Any placement restrictions.
For now yes, but when theater build commences there will be none, so my intent is to design with complete freedom in mind.

6) Any aesthetic or size concerns.
I have 2 big german shepherds. Hence why i'm running 4 towers right now. They will inadvertently send bookshelves/surrounds on stands flying. Willing to spend alittle extra to just run towers where needed.

7) Any equipment you are already considering (or would not consider).
I know ascend acoustics gets alot of good reviews, I just can't get into the way they look. Same goes for SVS Ultra, which aren't quite as highly regarded but same principle applies. For now, my speakers are quite prominent in my living room. Once I have a dedicated area, less of a concern. That being said, if something is clearly superior at a similar price point, i'd forego any subjectivity on the aesthetic.

8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.)
I have put performance audio in my vehicles for sometime, so while i'm an admitted novice in home theater - I have some concept. "bright" or treble heavy speakers have a tendency to be harsh for me and make music less enjoyable/fatiguing. Considering i'm after movie performance, neutral is probably the best bet.

I have no problem biding my time and waiting for a sale on components to bring things in budget.
Right now, the single biggest weak link holding you back is that god-awful Polk center. The M70s are harsh yet undetailed as you put it, but for 100% movie use they are not as bad as a disaster because they're not doing 70-80% of the HT output like the center speaker does.

The SB12 is ok for music, for HT I would want to position it nearfield to maximize impact.

If you're willing to wait, Infinity puts its R-263 towers on sale for half off MSRP a couple times a year...last time was back in November/December.

You could easily get 4 of those, plus the excellent RC-263 center ($160 when on sale, $500 regularly).
https://www.harmanaudio.com/R263BK.html

I'd put aside at least $1200 for a pair of Hsu VTF-2 subs.

If you don't wish to wait, I'd look at the Chane A5.5 towers with A2.4 center. Do a forum search for user feedback on those.
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/bundles

Another good option would be 2 pairs of JBL A190s, also currently on sale, and with the benefit of free return shipping:
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STAGE+A190.html
The "matching" A125C is also on sale---and with free returns shipping you could easily send it back and use a good mismatched one if it doesn't satisfy you 100%.

PS. How loud do you listen? Download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone and find out. Most people are in the 60-75db range. If you're like 75-80db, something with around 90db sensitivity would be prudent, such as Ascend 340SE or Klipsch RP series. Above that level, you might have to look into the not-cheap PSA speakers.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)

Last edited by Zorba922; 06-01-2020 at 12:23 PM.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-01-2020, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Chane Big System Bundle: https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/ind...ew&bundle_id=8

+

1 more pair of Chane A1.5s to get you to 7.0ch

+

Dual HSU, Rythmik or PSA subs or add a second SVS sub of the same kind of you have.

+

Denon X3600H or X4500H

And you're laughing.

Alternatively, you could do the HSU 7.0 bundle: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/speakerpkg.html then get dual HSU/Rythmik/PSA subs or second SVS sub, and whatever AVR you want, and still be laughing.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 06-01-2020 at 03:31 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-01-2020, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Spoiler!

If it's 5-9k just for the speakers, a focus on movies, and going into a dedicated theatre down the line - I'd take a look at JTR. You seem like the perfect candidate actually.

(Plus shepards will have a tough time moving them around)
post #8 of 18 Old 06-01-2020, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
I recommend getting a system that can play loud and clear. if you can fit large speakers,get large speakers. I would try to find some speakers with big 10 or 12 inch woofers in them to demo. jbl/klipsch/jtr...
shivaji likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #9 of 18 Old 06-01-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Well, you're in luck: JBL has just started another of its barn-burner sales on the Studio series.
https://www.jbl.com/studio-5-series/

4 of the Studio 590 towers would cost your $2K instead of their regular $4K. They have massive 8" woofers. Aesthetically, you'll either love their looks or hate them. Performance wise, they get rave reviews from users.

I'd experiment with their 520C center even though they have just 4" woofers but some people like them; if you don't, could always try a "phantom" center or go with a good mismatched center, and all the JBL speakers come with free return shipping anyways.

That leaves you plenty left over for a pair of robust subs, external amp, new AVR, etc.
Gary Mertz likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #10 of 18 Old 06-02-2020, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your suggestions so far. Been doing a lot of reading up as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
With your budget and being 100% movies, definitely take a look at Power Sound Audio. There’s an amazing value in their home theater speakers and subwoofers. I’ve had a Polk setup similar to yours and a handful of reference Klipsch speakers and anything from the PSA line will elevate your movies to a whole new level.
These seem excellent. Great specs at the price point and well reviewed. Do they ever go on sale? I oddly find the rugged look attractive. Typically i'm more into a natural wood cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I'd shoot for 5.2.4.

JBL HDI series; $75/pair return shipping on towers at Crutchfied if not happy.

Denon 3600; excellent review here and has pre outs if you find you need an outboard amp for the towers as they are 4 ohms.

Review of the HDI 3600s here but with your budget might consider the 3800s.
HDI are beautiful speakers. Seems they were just released and are eliminating the monitor series? Only issue is they seem to really need an amplifier to shine which if I could, i'd like to avoid. Your 3600 receiver suggestion sent me down the rabbit hole of receivers. Really like that one, or the 4500(?) both of which seem to often go on sale for half off msrp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Planning now for what you will do in a year or two is not realistic. Everything changes at least once a year, lots of new products are released annually.

I would look at Revel, JBL Professional and JBL Synthesis. I think they are doing excellent work, cover lots of price points and strive for neutral sound.

You should do at least a 5.2 (two subs) system. Add Atmos if you can afford it. You don't say anything about TV, projector, screen etc. Is your budget just for audio?

Sale items come and go quickly. You have to be ready to buy when things are available.
Fair enough, for the year or two out thing. That's why i'm biding my time (and have been) and looking to get things @ a discount so if things do change unexpectedly, I can pivot without losing a ton of cash unnecessarily. Right now i'm using a 65" 5k LG OLED TV. I'm pleased with it. Anything bigger in my current living room might be a bit overwhelming. Definitely planning two subs. Atmos will be an add on later most likely unless i come significantly under budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Right now, the single biggest weak link holding you back is that god-awful Polk center. The M70s are harsh yet undetailed as you put it, but for 100% movie use they are not as bad as a disaster because they're not doing 70-80% of the HT output like the center speaker does.

The SB12 is ok for music, for HT I would want to position it nearfield to maximize impact.

If you're willing to wait, Infinity puts its R-263 towers on sale for half off MSRP a couple times a year...last time was back in November/December.

You could easily get 4 of those, plus the excellent RC-263 center ($160 when on sale, $500 regularly).

I'd put aside at least $1200 for a pair of Hsu VTF-2 subs.

If you don't wish to wait, I'd look at the Chane A5.5 towers with A2.4 center. Do a forum search for user feedback on those.

Another good option would be 2 pairs of JBL A190s, also currently on sale, and with the benefit of free return shipping:

The "matching" A125C is also on sale---and with free returns shipping you could easily send it back and use a good mismatched one if it doesn't satisfy you 100%.

PS. How loud do you listen? Download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone and find out. Most people are in the 60-75db range. If you're like 75-80db, something with around 90db sensitivity would be prudent, such as Ascend 340SE or Klipsch RP series. Above that level, you might have to look into the not-cheap PSA speakers.
The center truly is horrible. It was an even worse setup when I had the "matching" center (monitor 20 or something, i don't recall) The infinity R-263 are showing as discontinued on multiple sites? Ironically, JBL recommends the infinity 263 center for their Monitor 590 line. (Researching that from Zorba922 suggestion)

In regards to the 190, with my budget, id move to the 590s and even then I feel like i'm leaving something on the table. I'd say I listen medium to loud as just a broad assumption, but that's an excellent idea to test it out and see, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Well, you're in luck: JBL has just started another of its barn-burner sales on the Studio series.

4 of the Studio 590 towers would cost your $2K instead of their regular $4K. They have massive 8" woofers. Aesthetically, you'll either love their looks or hate them. Performance wise, they get rave reviews from users.

I'd experiment with their 520C center even though they have just 4" woofers but some people like them; if you don't, could always try a "phantom" center or go with a good mismatched center, and all the JBL speakers come with free return shipping anyways.

That leaves you plenty left over for a pair of robust subs, external amp, new AVR, etc.
These speakers seem like a fantastic deal. I worry about some reviews saying they can be harsh or bright @ the high end and also complaints about build quality. My only concern (which I mentioned above) are that i'd wish I spent a little more to get something quantifiable (spec wise) "better" i'd say right now these

JTR speakers look like absolute monsters. Can't say I recall seeing a speaker that big. Certainly look like an option for dedicated theater, but i'd have trouble with them now space wise.

Chane i'm currently looking into. Ultimately , should I get a second matching sub, or just get two new more suited subs? (HSU was mentioned)

Note: I had to remove URL from quotes , forum won't let me quote them due to post count.

Thank you for suggestions so far! Alot of food for thought.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-02-2020, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

It won't let me edit my posts - but where I was cut off above I was trying to say that right now the JBL monitor 590's seem to be piquing my interest. Open to arguments for or against or any other suggestions obviously.
post #12 of 18 Old 06-02-2020, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
The new 700 series I think is supposed to be a monster for larger HT space, but no pricing or reviews yet.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-02-2020, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10181 Post(s)
Liked: 7213
Quote:
It won't let me edit my posts - but where I was cut off above I was trying to say that right now the JBL monitor 590's seem to be piquing my interest. Open to arguments for or against or any other suggestions obviously.
The horizontal center is a let down.

Consider PSA as they are not 4 ohms.

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 18 Old 06-02-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
At $460 each, down from their regular $1K price, I'd jump on them first if you're ok with their cosmetics, and use an Emotiva C1 or C2 as the center if needed.

Or, if you're a big believer in "matching" speakers, go with Emotiva T1 or T2, add an Outlaw 5000 amp ($650) if needed.

post #15 of 18 Old 06-02-2020, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
The new 700 series I think is supposed to be a monster for larger HT space, but no pricing or reviews yet.
Or availability...
post #16 of 18 Old 06-02-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Or availability...
It's not far off.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-02-2020, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
It's not far off.
I'm not doubting you, but Chane has had new speakers "not far off" for years. Which is a shame, since there seems to be a demand for them.
post #18 of 18 Old 06-02-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
I'm not doubting you, but Chane has had new speakers "not far off" for years. Which is a shame, since there seems to be a demand for them.
I don't know a lot about their past but from what I read this is indeed the case. However, I think it's a "sooner rather than later" situation now. From what I've seen, it's at varied stages of pricing and assembly along with two other lines,

Last edited by AlexLac; 06-02-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page