Was given two free bookshelf speakers speakers, how do they compare to anything else? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-01-2020, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was given two free bookshelf speakers speakers, how do they compare to anything else?

Acoustic Research "The Edge" -- Here is a link I could find with specs.

https://www.cnet.com/products/acoust...he-edge-black/

I dont know what the specs really mean or what these things are like when compared to a lot of the recommendations people make for new purchases. I am looking to see what kind of speaker they would compare to and if they are worth upgrading. I have no baseline as to what they are like so not sure if a $20 set would be better or if I need a $100 pair to get some upgraded quality.

They are hooked up to my PC via a small desktop amp. Used for PC gaming, music, video watching and such. They sit on a desk next to my montior. They are a huge step up from the generic plug in style PC speakers I was using before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-01-2020, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Really depends on how you like the sound. I doubt you can get something better for $20 new. On the used market you might be able to find something better for under $100.

That being said, I have never heard of these speakers and online searches don't show much.

Something like this might be a good upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/Jamo-Studio-B...MEDNNRYDDMFEE7

TV: TCL 6 Series 75"
Speakers: Hsu Research HB-1 and HC-1
Sub: SVS SB-3000
AVR: Yamaha HTR-4065
Previously Owned Equipment: Elac B5 and C5, SVS PB10-NSD
post #3 of 5 Old 06-01-2020, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
Eh. Certainly better than you can get in a $20 speaker, new. Depending on your needs and the ability of your amplifier, it might be competitive at $100 or not. If you like it, don't ask for more.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-01-2020, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 331 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9655 Post(s)
Liked: 7469
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJezo View Post
Acoustic Research "The Edge" -- Here is a link I could find with specs.

https://www.cnet.com/products/acoust...he-edge-black/

I dont know what the specs really mean or what these things are like when compared to a lot of the recommendations people make for new purchases. I am looking to see what kind of speaker they would compare to and if they are worth upgrading. I have no baseline as to what they are like so not sure if a $20 set would be better or if I need a $100 pair to get some upgraded quality.

They are hooked up to my PC via a small desktop amp. Used for PC gaming, music, video watching and such. They sit on a desk next to my montior. They are a huge step up from the generic plug in style PC speakers I was using before.
AR makes decent stuff. $100/pr speakers won't be any big improvement, but a $200-300 pair would be. You'd probably be better off with small sub though. The $100-150 Dayton subs have speaker level inputs/outputs so they would be easily hooked up to your mini-amp.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 5 Old 06-01-2020, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Eh. Certainly better than you can get in a $20 speaker, new. Depending on your needs and the ability of your amplifier, it might be competitive at $100 or not. If you like it, don't ask for more.
I'd give them a shot for that price... if you like them, go with it. No harm in trying them out. Your ears will tell you what you need to know. Trust them.

Of course, this is all IMO, and YMMV.

Joseph

ps... only reason I quoted Kal, is for the last sentence.... if you like it... log out and don't come back... ever.

mods, can we have a 'dislike' button ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page