1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Home. New Speakers

Hi, all! My wife and I are moving into a new home this month. Lucky for me, it has a huge room downstairs that I will be using for gaming and watching TV. The front speakers that I have now are all very old and small for this 15'x25'x9' room. This large room has a coat closet in it that I plan on converting into a media close to store my receiver and Xbox. I have an idea of what I want to do, but I want to make sure that I'm not doing anything dumb before I start cutting holes and pulling wire/cables.

None of my gear can be considered "top of the line" by any means. I know this.

I currently have the following

Yamaha RX-V773 . RX-V773 receiver

Dayton Audio Sub-1200. https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/...ered-subwoofer

Sharp LC-80UQ17U. http://www.sharpusa.com/Support/Prod...del=LC-80UQ17U

And 2 Definitive PromMontior 800s for rears. https://www.definitivetechnology.com...promonitor-800

As you can see in the picture below, the ceiling isn't finished out, and I have no plans to install a ceiling anytime soon. I want to run all wires to the TV, front/center speakers and sub in the walls or ceiling. I am only able to buy three speakers at this time, with a budget of roughly $700. What do you suggest I go with? I was thinking about getting three tower speakers, but I'm just not sure. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I've added a few other pictures of the room just so you can have an idea of what I'm looking at.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Media Room Layout.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	390.3 KB
ID:	2735922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_105801.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	2735924   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_105659.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	2735926   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_105643.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	521.2 KB
ID:	2735928  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9522 Post(s)
Liked: 7339
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinherby View Post
15'x25'x9' room.

I am only able to buy three speakers at this time, with a budget of roughly $700. What do you suggest I go with? I was thinking about getting three tower speakers, but I'm just not sure.
3 vertical front speakers = the acoustic ideal! What's the maximum height the 3 towers can be?

How loud do you listen? Download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone and find out. Most people are in the 60-75db range. If you're like 75-80db, something with around 90db sensitivity would be prudent, such as Ascend 340SE or Klipsch RP series.
sigpig likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I suppose the towers can be as tall as they need to be. That would just drive how high the TV needs to be mounted.

As far as how loud, probably in the 65-80db range. I'm about deaf in my left ear.

The Ascends look to not be true tower speakers. You have to buy separate stands for them. The Klipsch RP's seem to be out of my price range. Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9522 Post(s)
Liked: 7339
Quote:
I suppose the towers can be as tall as they need to be. That would just drive how high the TV needs to be mounted.

As far as how loud, probably in the 65-80db range. I'm about deaf in my left ear.

The Ascends look to not be true tower speakers. You have to buy separate stands for them. The Klipsch RP's seem to be out of my price range. Am I missing something?
The Klipsch RP would only be doable within your budget if you were willing to do single woofer bookshelves, but even there they would be over your budget since they are sold in pairs not singles, so you'd have to do a pair of RP-500M with a horizontal RP-500C or 600C to keep within your budget.

The Ascends are dual woofer bookshelves, which give you 90% of the room-filling dynamics & headroom of a tower, just in a smaller package. I asked you about the height of the towers because it will depend on how high you can or want, to mount your TV from the floor. Some people prefer the center of the screen to be eye level from where they sit, some are fine with it being higher. Below is a photo of a forumite who used the Ascends under his screen on top of yoga blocks, tilted upwards.

Of course if you don't care how high the TV is, you can go with 3 of these 41" high Polks for well within your budget...they have the exact same size and number of woofers as the Ascends:
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...specifications
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ascend 340 on floor under a PJ screen.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	773.1 KB
ID:	2735950  

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3566 Post(s)
Liked: 3378
3 x Chane A2.4 would be a good option for you. Put them on short stands, so your TV can be at a good viewing level. In addition, the leaf tweeter has a limited vertical dispersion, which will be welcome with all the hard surfaces in that unfinished ceiling. Clear sound, non-fatiguing, plenty of latent volume capability. Performs well for both movies and music. Add a pair of A1.5s or the coming 4.5s when you are ready for the surrounds.

If you want to save a few bucks, just get a single A2.4 and add a pair of A1.5s. You'll lose a bit of ultimate volume level, but your volume needs are fairly limited, so it may be a good choice for you.

I would not recommend towers at this price point, as that would spread the money out over too many, cheaper, components, resulting in lesser quality sound, overall.

Another less expensive option would be the RSL CG23 x 3. Less bass extension due to the 4" woofers, but your sub could pick up those frequencies rather easily. Probably looking at crossing over in the 100 to 120 Hz range, vs 80Hz for the Chane. Another benefit is that they can be wall mounted.

How far away will you be sitting? Will you have multiple rows? Risers? Bar in the back?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-01-2020 at 11:13 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Have you considered or open to the used mkt.. budget for speakers would go alot farther .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Emotiva could fit your budget. They are well reviewed.

https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers/products/airmotiv-t0-pair

https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers/products/airmotiv-c1-2
post #8 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Although, I will say, if cranking it loud with your current amp is your goal, you may want to focus on the klipsch or chane above. Both are great speakers and more efficient than the emotivas, which are 4 ohm speakers.

Speakers: Mains - Kef R3 Pair Center- Kef r2c Rear- Kef q350 Pair Height-4 Kef q50a
Receiver: Pioneer SC-95
Subwoofer: SVS PB-3000
Display: Vizio pqx 75 inch 2019
Other Gear: PS4 Pro, Sony X700 Uhd Player
post #9 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10174 Post(s)
Liked: 7203
Quote:
Hi, all! My wife and I are moving into a new home this month. Lucky for me, it has a huge room downstairs that I will be using for gaming and watching TV. The front speakers that I have now are all very old and small for this 15'x25'x9' room. This large room has a coat closet in it that I plan on converting into a media close to store my receiver and Xbox. I have an idea of what I want to do, but I want to make sure that I'm not doing anything dumb before I start cutting holes and pulling wire/cables.

None of my gear can be considered "top of the line" by any means. I know this.

I currently have the following

Yamaha RX-V773 . RX-V773 receiver

Dayton Audio Sub-1200. https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/...ered-subwoofer

Sharp LC-80UQ17U. http://www.sharpusa.com/Support/Prod...del=LC-80UQ17U

And 2 Definitive PromMontior 800s for rears. https://www.definitivetechnology.com...promonitor-800

As you can see in the picture below, the ceiling isn't finished out, and I have no plans to install a ceiling anytime soon. I want to run all wires to the TV, front/center speakers and sub in the walls or ceiling. I am only able to buy three speakers at this time, with a budget of roughly $700. What do you suggest I go with? I was thinking about getting three tower speakers, but I'm just not sure. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I've added a few other pictures of the room just so you can have an idea of what I'm looking at.

Thanks!
Three of these; free returns if not happy, which is very rare for towers, 6 ohms, 89db sensitivity so reasonably easy to drive.

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/JBL...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Review:

https://www.cnet.com/news/jbls-might...r-is-a-keeper/

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 396
if you are able to "cut holes and pull wires" you should consider DIYsoundgroup.com. probably biggest bang for your buck.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page