• 1 Post By MizzouMan2k

post #1 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Main speaker selection

Hello

I'm in the process of finishing my basement home theater. Rough framing is done & passed inspection. The total room space is about 15x20 with ~9ft ceilings, however, the stairs take up about 3x3 ft in one corner of the room. See attached pictures.

I'm trying to decide on my path forward for main speakers. Options under consideration:

- Floor-standing mains with atmos built into the top
- Larger bookshelf speakers (like the RP-500M or RP-600M) with in-ceiling atmos.
- Larger bookshelf speakers (like the RP-500M or RP-600M) with something like the R-41SA set on top of the bookshelf speakers

The issue I'm going to quickly run in to is budget. If I go floor standing, I don't think I can swing the RP series. If I go bookshelf, I can get the RP series, but that may cause me to really skimp on height channel speakers or delay them entirely.

Would the bookshelf speakers be enough for the size of my room?

Thanks in advance for input.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200530_165659964 (1).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	2736020   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement_layout_concept_3D_View-theater_3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	2736022  

Last edited by MizzouMan2k; 06-02-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 396
many here will say towers are not needed for HT.

Many here will emphasize the importance of subs in HT - and recommend at least 2

many here will advise against reflected Atmos speakers

from what I have experienced, you do not need a lot of speaker for Atmos - some low cost in ceiling should do it and leave you more budget for other speakers

if you want the best bang for your speaker buck - and are a bit handy - check out DIYsoundgroup.com (high quality components, high efficiency and power handling)

many here will also advise to put in an "AT"- acoustically transparent screen with 3 identical speakers vertically oriented for optimal SQ

also from my experience, don't skimp on the center channel

good luck and congrats
philpoe likes this.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4443 Post(s)
Liked: 3972
To get the best targeted advice it helps if a firm budget number is cited. Otherwise you will get recommendations beyond what you're willing to spend.
Zorba922 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
RP-600Ms and in-ceiling Atmos. You don't need to spend a tonne of money on in-ceiling speakers: https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...peakers/1.html
philpoe likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
many here will say towers are not needed for HT.
Yeah, I read that elsewhere, which is why I started to reconsider my speaker plan to use bookshelf instead of towers - then I realized that meant not having the integrated atmos speakers.

Quote:
Many here will emphasize the importance of subs in HT - and recommend at least 2
Yeah, I already planned to get 2.

Quote:
many here will advise against reflected Atmos speakers
Yeah, I hadn't really read that anywhere, but I was already a bit skeptical of this approach.

Quote:
from what I have experienced, you do not need a lot of speaker for Atmos - some low cost in ceiling should do it and leave you more budget for other speakers
I had read this about surrounds in general, but the comments I saw didn't really say if the same is true for the atmos channel.

Quote:
if you want the best bang for your speaker buck - and are a bit handy - check out DIYsoundgroup.com (high quality components, high efficiency and power handling)
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Quote:
many here will also advise to put in an "AT"- acoustically transparent screen with 3 identical speakers vertically oriented for optimal SQ
This was in my original plan, but not sure at this point. The AT screen may have to be a future upgrade.

Quote:
also from my experience, don't skimp on the center channel
Agreed!

Quote:
good luck and congrats
Thanks! Exciting times!
smithsabom likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked: 7206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouMan2k View Post
Hello

I'm in the process of finishing my basement home theater. Rough framing is done & passed inspection. The total room space is about 15x20 with ~9ft ceilings, however, the stairs take up about 3x3 ft in one corner of the room. See attached pictures.

I'm trying to decide on my path forward for main speakers. Options under consideration:

- Floor-standing mains with atmos built into the top
- Larger bookshelf speakers (like the RP-500M or RP-600M) with in-ceiling atmos.
- Larger bookshelf speakers (like the RP-500M or RP-600M) with something like the R-41SA set on top of the bookshelf speakers

The issue I'm going to quickly run in to is budget. If I go floor standing, I don't think I can swing the RP series. If I go bookshelf, I can get the RP series, but that may cause me to really skimp on height channel speakers or delay them entirely.

Thanks in advance for input.

Chris
Free returns if not happy.

Three JBL Stage A170s for example run just $630 at the moment, a pair of bookshelves for surrounds are just $170 or $210/pair depending on which Stage bookshelf you choose.

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/JBL...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Get in ceiling speakers for Atmos...JBLs are over priced IMHO, look at Polk.

Consider the Denon 3600 as 4 in ceiling atmos is far far superior to just 2.

For a subwoofer consider one of thee to start.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE:
*THE LARGER PORTED SUBS DELIVER AT LEAST 40% MORE SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL
THAN THE SAME BRAND'S SEALED VERSION WITH SAME SIZE WOOFER AND AMP
*IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS
*IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE
*FOR MUSIC A 30HZ SUB IS A FINE CHOICE
*BEFORE BUYING MAKE A CARDBOARD CUTOUT OF THE SIZE OF THE SUB TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT TOO LARGE FOR YOU
Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.
Warranty
for AMP

2 years 350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

5 years 300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

5 years 400watts =17w21hx22d= 66 lbs 12" [19hz] $500 SVS PB12 NSD, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

5 years 500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

3 years 300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $599 RHYTHMIK LV12F

2 years 350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)
JP32 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Free returns if not happy.

Three JBL Stage A170s for example run just $630 at the moment, a pair of bookshelves for surrounds are just $170 or $210/pair depending on which Stage bookshelf you choose.

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/JBL...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Get in ceiling speakers for Atmos...JBLs are over priced IMHO, look at Polk.

Consider the Denon 3600 as 4 in ceiling atmos is far far superior to just 2.

For a subwoofer consider one of thee to start.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE:
*THE LARGER PORTED SUBS DELIVER AT LEAST 40% MORE SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL
THAN THE SAME BRAND'S SEALED VERSION WITH SAME SIZE WOOFER AND AMP
*IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS
*IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE
*FOR MUSIC A 30HZ SUB IS A FINE CHOICE
*BEFORE BUYING MAKE A CARDBOARD CUTOUT OF THE SIZE OF THE SUB TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT TOO LARGE FOR YOU
Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.
Warranty
for AMP

2 years 350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

5 years 300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

5 years 400watts =17w21hx22d= 66 lbs 12" [19hz] $500 SVS PB12 NSD, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

5 years 500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

3 years 300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $599 RHYTHMIK LV12F

2 years 350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)
Thanks.

That Denon looks like a beast. What I'll have to do for now is run conduit for 4 atmos speakers, but initially only be able to use 2. THis way I can determine if 2 is adequate, then upgrade in the future if it's not.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked: 7206
Quote:
Thanks.

That Denon looks like a beast. What I'll have to do for now is run conduit for 4 atmos speakers, but initially only be able to use 2. THis way I can determine if 2 is adequate, then upgrade in the future if it's not.
At $130/pair might as well get four.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RC6...dio-RC60i.html

This guy essentially hates AVRs; but he liked the Denon 3600.

He's tested 25 A/V receiver/processors and only gave three a recommendation...and of the two capable of 4 speaker Atmos, the Denon is 1/3 the price of the Anthem he liked.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.12676/

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9541 Post(s)
Liked: 7360
Quote:
The issue I'm going to quickly run in to is budget.

1. Let's not beat around the bush: what is your total BUDGET MAX?

2. Your pics indicate a big open space. That means you need adequate SUBWOOFER(S) first and foremost, forget about bookshelves vs towers, that's irrelevant in comparison.

3. See #1 .

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #10 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:
The issue I'm going to quickly run in to is budget.

1. Let's not beat around the bush: what is your total BUDGET MAX?

2. Your pics indicate a big open space. That means you need adequate SUBWOOFER(S) first and foremost, forget about bookshelves vs towers, that's irrelevant in comparison.

3. See #1 .
I started to summarize plans and numbers last night, then all hell broke loose with our new pup.

I've already ordered 2 Klipsch R-12SW and a pair of R-41M for surrounds. Subs were $200 each and $140 for the surrounds.
Zorba922 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page