Atmos speaker recommendation for B&W HTS set up - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By nreeque
  • 1 Post By Vikash sinha
  • 1 Post By Vikash sinha

post #1 of 19 Old 06-02-2020, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Atmos speaker recommendation for B&W HTS set up

hi

I have B&W speaker system for my Home theater
705S2 for L&R
706S2 for my surround.
I want to upgrade to atmos - 7.2.4

Any recommndation on which atmos speaker will go with this set up.

Planning to buy Denon 4500 or Marantz 6014 with external amplifier

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-02-2020, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikash sinha View Post
hi

I have B&W speaker system for my Home theater
705S2 for L&R
706S2 for my surround.
I want to upgrade to atmos - 7.2.4

Any recommndation on which atmos speaker will go with this set up.

Planning to buy Denon 4500 or Marantz 6014 with external amplifier

Thanks
Forgot to add, that Bestbuy Magnolia associate recommended me to use B&W AM-1 speaker for atmos.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-02-2020, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
What centre channel are you using?
What's your listening distance?
What's your room layout?
What subwoofer(s) are you using?
What is the TOTAL volume of your room (open-concept, dedicated room, etc)?
What is your budget?

You will probably get suggestions from budget Polk in-ceiling speakers to speakers that might rival your mains. Whatever speakers you choose, there are a few things to think about:
1. Sound leakage. Many in-ceiling speakers don't have a backer box, and that can cause sound to leak into the room above. If this is an attic, then there are no worries. If it's a bedroom, then there could be some issues.
2. Dispersion. One thing that the Dolby specs don't mention is that for a true Atmos experience, all seats, especially the MLP, should be within the radiating pattern of ALL Atmos speakers. It makes no sense to spend a lot of money (or any money) on speakers that you can't hear. I suggest in-ceiling speakers with an angled baffle, or at least aim-able tweeters, that can be aimed at the MLP. The RSL C34E in-ceiling speakers have a 15-degree angled baffle that many on her have used with great success: https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/
3. It may sound like blasphemy, but your Atmos speakers do not have to be the same make as your mains. The AM1 speakers are actually a very good suggestion, if B&W's specs can be believed: (-6dB at 46Hz "wall mounted"). It's an outdoor speaker with a mounting bracket that will allow you to aim them wherever you want. $700/pr CAD is a bit steep for my tastes, but it's your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 06-02-2020, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2948 Post(s)
Liked: 2824
Quote:
Forgot to add, that Bestbuy Magnolia associate recommended me to use B&W AM-1 speaker for atmos.
So you're not going with in ceiling? If that's the case go with https://www.svsound.com/products/pri...nt=26537028038

It's pretty much what they were initially made for, plus they come with all the mounting hardware.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #5 of 19 Old 06-02-2020, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
second on that SVS recommendation. But any speaker that goes down to 100-120Hrtz will work fine . I run Definitive sats as they are affordable and had them laying around. Never wanted for more in atmos. If u want timbre matched then any B&W In ceilings will be ur best bet.
hollisesco likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-03-2020, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreeque View Post
second on that SVS recommendation. But any speaker that goes down to 100-120Hrtz will work fine . I run Definitive sats as they are affordable and had them laying around. Never wanted for more in atmos. If u want timbre matched then any B&W In ceilings will be ur best bet.
Yes in ceiling from B&W was another option. But since I am not planning to put drywall in ceiling, it may not easy to install.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-03-2020, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
What's your room layout?
What is your budget?

You will probably get suggestions from budget Polk in-ceiling speakers to speakers that might rival your mains. Whatever speakers you choose, there are a few things to think about:
1. Sound leakage. Many in-ceiling speakers don't have a backer box, and that can cause sound to leak into the room above. If this is an attic, then there are no worries. If it's a bedroom, then there could be some issues.
2. Dispersion. One thing that the Dolby specs don't mention is that for a true Atmos experience, all seats, especially the MLP, should be within the radiating pattern of ALL Atmos speakers. It makes no sense to spend a lot of money (or any money) on speakers that you can't hear. I suggest in-ceiling speakers with an angled baffle, or at least aim-able tweeters, that can be aimed at the MLP. The RSL C34E in-ceiling speakers have a 15-degree angled baffle that many on her have used with great success: https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/
3. It may sound like blasphemy, but your Atmos speakers do not have to be the same make as your mains. The AM1 speakers are actually a very good suggestion, if B&W's specs can be believed: (-6dB at 46Hz "wall mounted"). It's an outdoor speaker with a mounting bracket that will allow you to aim them wherever you want. $700/pr CAD is a bit steep for my tastes, but it's your decision.
Thanks for some great tips.

I am sitting around 10 feet from the main speakers. The centre speaker is CM series from B&W. Basement is open and big (2000 sq feet), but the speakers surround an area of 12 feet x 30 feet. There is no dedicated media room.

The subwoofer is Klpisch R-12SW Reference Powered Subwoofer (400 watts). My original B&W subwoofer is not working and has to be repaired. I have to add a second subwoofer very soon. I know that Klipsch may not be optimal for my set up. Bought it from Klipsch as it was only 250 USD. With regard to budget, since I invested in good speakers I want to do justice with the set up. Meaning I love movies and good quality sound. I have been trying different AVRs. Yesterday I tried Marantz SR6014. The picture quality improved tremendously. but the sound lacked oomph, understandably so because it lacks power.
I plan to add external amps, Monoprice 7x200 , or outlaw 7000. Outlaw has 135 watts per channel and is priced at 1000 USD, but I am concerned if 135 will be sufficient, would prefer 200 w per channel instead. Emotiva 7 channel is another option, its priced higher but doesn't output 200 w in all channels.

The bottom line is I am planning to go the separates route. So will definitely invest in a power amplifier, and pick between one of these - Marantz 6014, Denon x4500h, Marantz AV7705 pre-pro. I am trying all of them in my room before I buy them. Thanks to return policy of best buy and amazon. Unfortunately denon x3600h is out of stock, it could have served the purpose.

Last edited by Vikash sinha; 06-03-2020 at 05:39 AM.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-03-2020, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would look into getting another ported sub no smaller than 12" for you room from Rhythmik, HSU, Monoprice Monolith, PowerSound Audio, or JTR speakers before spending money on a overpriced and under-performing broken sub from B&W.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-03-2020, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked: 7206
Quote:
Yes in ceiling from B&W was another option. But since I am not planning to put drywall in ceiling, it may not easy to install.
Don't need to be B&W.

And those AM1s aren't in ceiling, the are outdoor speakers with brackets, and nothing wrong with that idea for on ceiling but they are not in ceiling and are ridiculously over priced at $700/pair.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 19 Old 06-03-2020, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would look into getting another ported sub no smaller than 12" for you room from Rhythmik, HSU, Monoprice Monolith, PowerSound Audio, or JTR speakers before spending money on a overpriced and under-performing broken sub from B&W.
couldn't agree more
sigpig likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 06-03-2020, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for our suggestions. I will explore that
The B&W AM1 speakers had an offer - 599 USD a pair, but now I see that offer is gone. I will explore SVS and other speakers you mentioned about.

Right now I am using harman kardon speakers as atmos from my first HTS system which I had bought in Europe more than 10 years back. If I am happy with their performance probabaly I will keep them.
sigpig likes this.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-24-2020, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What's your room layout?
What is your budget?

I have read a number of you tube reviews on how in ceiling down firing atmos speaker may not be a good option since they are not directed towards you. I have a possibility of installing in ceiling speaker now as we need to put double dry wall for sound insulation purposes. So I am struggling between installing in-ceiling angled speakers vs SVS prime elevation speakers. Any suggestion regarding which can give me the best atmos experience?
post #13 of 19 Old 06-24-2020, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Many people on here like using the RSL C34E in-ceiling speakers sue to their angled baffle with two 4.5" drivers and tweeter. Its fairly easy to aim them at the MLP. I use small bookshelf speakers for the height channels.

Basement 5.1.4: Anthem MRX 720, Monoprice 2-channel amp, Paradigm Prestige 85F/55C/15B. PSB Alpha A1/P3 for Atmos HSU STF-2, ATV4K, XBox OneS, Harmony Ultimate, Samsung 65" Q7D.
Living room: Yamaha YSP-6000 with 10" Yamaha sub, ATV3, Harmony Ultimate, 55" Insignia 1080P.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-25-2020, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Many people on here like using the RSL C34E in-ceiling speakers sue to their angled baffle with two 4.5" drivers and tweeter. Its fairly easy to aim them at the MLP. I use small bookshelf speakers for the height channels.
May I ask you how you have installed book shelf speaker in the ceiling? Are universal brackets available which can be used to mount any pair of speakers? I have the luxury of picking any type of speaker (in ceiling/ceiling mount) at this point as my basement work is going to begin soon. Reading all the reviews regarding why in ceiling downfiring speakers may not provide best atmos experience since it may not be angled appropriately to MLP , I am little wary about that approach. But I may have been misinformed. Is there a thread comparing the two - in ceiling vs ceiling mount (eg SVS prime elevation speaker). I dont mind spending money on martin logan in ceiling speakers with angled tweeters, if they provide a better atmos experience. But on the other hand I don't want to be spending money on the type of speaker, if a better solution is available, e.g. those which can be directed towards you. Or may be I am over reacting to some minor points.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-25-2020, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
May I ask you how you have installed book shelf speaker in the ceiling? Are universal brackets available which can be used to mount any pair of speakers? I have the luxury of picking any type of speaker (in ceiling/ceiling mount) at this point as my basement work is going to begin soon. Reading all the reviews regarding why in ceiling downfiring speakers may not provide best atmos experience since it may not be angled appropriately to MLP , I am little wary about that approach. But I may have been misinformed. Is there a thread comparing the two - in ceiling vs ceiling mount (eg SVS prime elevation speaker). I dont mind spending money on martin logan in ceiling speakers with angled tweeters, if they provide a better atmos experience. But on the other hand I don't want to be spending money on the type of speaker, if a better solution is available, e.g. those which can be directed towards you. Or may be I am over reacting to some minor points.
I used these to mount my bookshelf speakers at the top of the wall: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They hold the PSBs easily, and they have a ball joint that allows you to aim them both down and in. IIRC, the SVS Elevation speakers also have an on-ceiling bracket that they can ship (should be free of charge). My personal belief is that all speakers should be pointed at your ear holes.

Basement 5.1.4: Anthem MRX 720, Monoprice 2-channel amp, Paradigm Prestige 85F/55C/15B. PSB Alpha A1/P3 for Atmos HSU STF-2, ATV4K, XBox OneS, Harmony Ultimate, Samsung 65" Q7D.
Living room: Yamaha YSP-6000 with 10" Yamaha sub, ATV3, Harmony Ultimate, 55" Insignia 1080P.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-25-2020, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I used these to mount my bookshelf speakers at the top of the wall: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They hold the PSBs easily, and they have a ball joint that allows you to aim them both down and in. IIRC, the SVS Elevation speakers also have an on-ceiling bracket that they can ship (should be free of charge). My personal belief is that all speakers should be pointed at your ear holes.
I wonder unless your speaker has a hole for screws, these mounts cannot work for all speakers. I am inclining towards SVS prime elevation speakers, unless some can convince me to go for in ceiling speakers
post #17 of 19 Old 06-25-2020, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In-ceiling is supposed to be the best. I just prefer angled baffles so you can aim them at the MLP.
My P3s don't come with holes, but the DO come with 3 dimples on the back that are screw guides. The guides match up perfectly with the mounts. The A1s have a bolt hole.

post #18 of 19 Old 06-25-2020, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In a similar position. Anyone have any experience with the BW CCM 7.5 S2 for in ceiling atmos?
post #19 of 19 Old 06-27-2020, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In-ceiling is supposed to be the best. I just prefer angled baffles so you can aim them at the MLP.
My P3s don't come with holes, but the DO come with 3 dimples on the back that are screw guides. The guides match up perfectly with the mounts. The A1s have a bolt hole.
can anyone comment on why in ceiling is better than angle baffled mounted on ceiling e.g. prime elevation from SVS or Klipsch 500 SA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page